Same setlist, different day

I have high hopes of the current band releasing new music, but I have a nagging feeling that Slash & Duff might get bored at shit doing the same thing every night.

Can someone w/ more knowledge fill me in on the flux of VR setlists and of Slash's setlists w/ Myles?  Is this all Axl, as it seems to be, or are they creatures of habit, too?

Idk about VR sets but the consistent set list makes it easier on the light guys, video guys to do their job and keeps everything running smoothly. 

However with that said if the set list is still the same in NA later this year then i think I'll skip seeing them again. It doesn't take much for me to want to see the band but if I've already seen them and I have to put down $200 to see the same show then I don't see the point in spending money on it. 

I'll go if one of these happen

1. Set list is revamped

2. Axl takes it to that next level vocally. He seems to be coasting in my opinion but I'm not 54 and I'm not playing 30000 shows in 2 years so I can't be mad at him but I also have already seen the show once 

• Like 1

UYI tour was the best.  But it's 25 yrs later.   Just remember that each show they are playing for a brand new crowd that hasn't seen them since 1993 (spare for the 10-100 people in attendance that have seen them this tour before).  I saw em 3 x's last year and I'll be happy as fuck no matter my set.  Yes I have my grievances but I'll live.  

46 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Idk about VR sets but the consistent set list makes it easier on the light guys, video guys to do their job and keeps everything running smoothly. 

However with that said if the set list is still the same in NA later this year then i think I'll skip seeing them again. It doesn't take much for me to want to see the band but if I've already seen them and I have to put down $200 to see the same show then I don't see the point in spending money on it. 

I'll go if one of these happen

1. Set list is revamped

2. Axl takes it to that next level vocally. He seems to be coasting in my opinion but I'm not 54 and I'm not playing 30000 shows in 2 years so I can't be mad at him but I also have already seen the show once 

It will most likely be the same since these are markets not played yet on the tour. I don't think we'll see a change until there is a new album or a new tour. 

1 hour ago, parisrocks said:

I have high hopes of the current band releasing new music, but I have a nagging feeling that Slash & Duff might get bored at shit doing the same thing every night.

Can someone w/ more knowledge fill me in on the flux of VR setlists and of Slash's setlists w/ Myles?  Is this all Axl, as it seems to be, or are they creatures of habit, too?

I've seen both those bands but not enough to comment on their set list variety .  Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen are probably the two biggest acts that vary their set list the most. It keeps it fresh for them and the fans who go to more than  one show.  Both acts pretty much sell out every show so that approach seems to work for them.

I mean, I get it - putting on a production on the scale that they currently are, it's probably better to lay it safe on the setlists as to put on the most professional shows possible. More setlist variety = more room for error. That said, I do miss the days when not everything was basically set in stone. People like to bitch about how stale the setlists were from 2010 to 2014, but every now and then they'd throw a big curveball. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, parisrocks said:

I would be willing to bet that Slash and Duff could care less. They're getting paid each night and that's what this thing is about at the end of the day $$$$ makes the world go round!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, parisrocks said:

Slash's last tour: http://www.setlist.fm/stats/slash-feat-myles-kennedy-and-the-conspirators-73debef9.html?tour=World+on+Fire+Tour 20 songs per night, 13-14 staples and others in rotation with surprises here and there

Velvet Revolver's longest tour: http://www.setlist.fm/stats/velvet-revolver-13d689ad.html?tour=Re-Evolution+Tour They did 18-20 songs per night out of those 26

Stone Temple Pilots didn't change many songs too

From that I can conclude that Slash loves variety but isn't bothered much if he plays the same songs every night but can't be sure. You have to ask him :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

With everything being computerized and programmed nowadays, how freaking hard is it really to switch up the order or insert a song here and there? It really shouldn't be that difficult.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thunderram said:

With everything being computerized and programmed nowadays, how freaking hard is it really to switch up the order or insert a song here and there? It really shouldn't be that difficult.

I think you also have to look at the sound guys and how they project the sound to the speakers. Axl has a lot of request on how he wants each song to sound, but I really don't know. I've never run a big production like this but I imagine it's easier if you basically run through the same order and list every night instead of going through a random set. 

Right now they have runs in the bank. If they play repeat legs with the same setlist, then will be the time to complain.

Setlists are strange ones. Some bands vary them greatly, e.g. Dylan, Pearl Jam and (sorry mods!) Neil Young. Axl, since he reemerged with Nugnr, has become as rigid as one can be for whatever reason. Kiss are also static. Most acts are in-between those two extremes, usually switching a few things around but keeping core songs. Metallica are rather like that. Stones somewhat also.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t-p-d-a said:

Slash returns to Guns N' Roses, They play Coma!, Slash plays Chinese Democracys stuff, Axl on time and has a better mood than 2014. Welcome To The Jungle sounds killer and rasp is more often. This line up sounds and feels like Guns N' Roses

And people still complain about the Setlist? After 2 shows in 2017 ??? After Sorry & Out Ta Get Me was played last night??? So they complain that seltlist is always the same? What are you doin? Do you even have a life? To much time? And you watched every stream?

For the current Setlist is one of the best setlists in GN'R history!!! You have Estranged, November Rain,  Civil War, Coma... WTTJ, SCOM, PC, ... Double Talkin Jive, Rocket Queen and Chineses' Stuff:: all hits in one night.

Thread is stupid. get a life

This ^^

1 hour ago, Jeez said:

Let me finish that for you: Same setlist, different day, different city, different audience.

And this^^

On the 21st GN'R played 23 songs, on the 22nd they played 25 songs and 4 out of those 25 were not played the night before. I would call that changing up the setlist.

• Like 1

VR and Slash / Myles generally played the same set on each tour.  A bunch of staples and then a few switched around each night possibly.  

There are 2 reasons for this: 

1) The show is for the fans attending in that city and not for internet forums.  Sorry guys, but that is the harsh reality.  A deepcuts setlist might be great for us, but how would the audience at the venue feel if they left out Jungle, SCOM, NR, PC and so on.  

2) Its a production.  Lights, Pyro, Sound Engineers, guitar techs, guitar / bass changes.
These things are all easier to manage when there is routine.  

It would be cool to see a completely different set including new songs if they tour ever again.

When NIN went on the 'Tension' tour, there was an incredible light and screens show, setlist was mostly the same everynight.

Some years before, in 2009, they did the 'Wave goodbye' tour as a 4 piece band, no screens and basic light show. On that tour they did The Downward Spiral in its entirety + tons of deep cuts, different opening songs, guest appearances, band members playing lots of different instruments (Robin on keys was effing cool), etc. Guess which one I like better.

Big production is cool (especially NIN's production) but for me, nothing tops a varied setlist. Not because I check every setlist on the internet but it makes the shows more about the music.

Edited by maynard
  • Like 2

i have no hopes of current tour band releasing new music because the gnr before this hybrid gnr had already made a shitload of albums ready to go for release. and you're right it's the same boring setlist and axl, slash, and, duff will never change. they'll just get paid more millions and fatten their bank accounts up millions and millions more and more  

10 minutes ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

i have no hopes of current tour band releasing new music because the gnr before this hybrid gnr had already made a shitload of albums ready to go for release. and you're right it's the same boring setlist and axl, slash, and, duff will never change. they'll just get paid more millions and fatten their bank accounts up millions and millions more and more  

You mean the band that released 1 album in a decade? Get a clue, dude. You're postings are ridiculous.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

Slash returns to Guns N' Roses, They play Coma!, Slash plays Chinese Democracys stuff, Axl on time and has a better mood than 2014. Welcome To The Jungle sounds killer and rasp is more often. This line up sounds and feels like Guns N' Roses

And people still complain about the Setlist? After 2 shows in 2017 ??? After Sorry & Out Ta Get Me was played last night??? So they complain that seltlist is always the same? What are you doin? Do you even have a life? To much time? And you watched every stream?

For the current Setlist is one of the best setlists in GN'R history!!! You have Estranged, November Rain,  Civil War, Coma... WTTJ, SCOM, PC, ... Double Talkin Jive, Rocket Queen and Chineses' Stuff:: all hits in one night.

Thread is stupid. get a life

I agree!! 

Seems that on this forum people can't understand that for the crowds attending the shows it's  the first time that hear this setlist live on this tour... I personally watched a lot of shows via periscope and can understand that it's boring seeing always the same songs but the show is for the fans attending not for us on Internet!!

I'll go next summer to see the band in Europe for the first time with this lineup and I would be very disappointed if they don't play this songs cause live it's another experience and I want to hear them even if I know this songs...

After this tour is over we might get a new album or an arena tour with a more varied setlist with deep cuts but til then it's gonna be the same set because they are touring countries for the first time with this lineup and people wanna hear the hits