Same setlist, different day

7 hours ago, TheBaconMan said:

So you have your opinion on when you as a fan would like to hear new music from this band.  Cool.  You are basing that off Axl reuintijg with two former members and adding a female piano player and wanting to give them some time.   Cool 

my feeling as a fan is that I have loved this band forever and have just a couple of studio albums of original music to listen to.   This band  in one format or another has played some of these same songs live for the past 30 years straight.   A good percentage of those songs are not even guns music.  They are cover songs. 

So I have given up time. I have zero time left.  I am not giving them the benifot of the doubt.   Because unlike in the past.   We don't even get to hear new unreleased music live.   There is nothing in it as a fan to see this current travelling show again live.   Yes I saw hem last year.   Why should I see them again this year?     So I can puke in my mouth when I hear kohd again live.  No thank you 

What's with the "I have zero time left" thing? Zero time for what? Are you dying soon? Do you want them to release new music before you die?

This band has Slash and Duff. That's why people want to see them. Just like you did last year. After I've seen them, I'm not going to see them again either, before they release new music. So I totally get that. I just don't understand why you're so angry. Half of the world still hasn't seen this reunion show. It's okay that they play hits now. But after this tour is over many people will want new music. And I'm pretty sure we're gonna get new music too.

But right now they're concentrating on the tour. Nobody's forcing you to follow them. Just forget the whole band until they release new music. I think that would be the wise thing to do.

• Like 2

I'm seeing them tomorrow night.  It's my first time to see Axl and Slash and Duff on the same stage.  I've been waiting over half my life for this!

I think it's a brilliant setlist.  It's got all the hits, deep cuts from Illusions, and even a few CD songs for the few people in the crowd that want to hear them.

I will go and see the show and have a fucking blast, and hopefully listen to a high quality recording of it later on.

But I'm not gonna see them again on Sunday.  It's the same show!  And I already know that going in!

Why would anyone complain about the setlist not changing if you already know it's not changing?   Just see the show once and wait til next time.   If it still doesn't change, then don't fucking go!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

I'm seeing them tomorrow night.  It's my first time to see Axl and Slash and Duff on the same stage.  I've been waiting over half my life for this!

I think it's a brilliant setlist.  It's got all the hits, deep cuts from Illusions, and even a few CD songs for the few people in the crowd that want to hear them.

I will go and see the show and have a fucking blast, and hopefully listen to a high quality recording of it later on.

But I'm not gonna see them again on Sunday.  It's the same show!  And I already know that going in!

Why would anyone complain about the setlist not changing if you already know it's not changing?   Just see the show once and wait til next time.   If it still doesn't change, then don't fucking go!

I'm not going the once haha.

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

Maybe because it's almost the exact same setlist they saw in 2009, and then again in 2012 and then again in 2014??

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Maybe because it's almost the exact same setlist they saw in 2009, and then again in 2012 and then again in 2014??

With a tribute.  Slash adds a whole other element to this. He pretty much makes the show. That is pretty much the vibe I got from all the talk when they swung through my area and I have to agree.  

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yep this is why. 

Honestyly lay now I could care less who is playing guitar in the band.  I have become numb to it.  Cool slash is back. Great I really like the guy and some of the songs he has contributed too.  Ooooh I get to hear him play scom again?  Yeah?!   Cover the same cover from 30 years ago.  Right on!   

A couple posters here really summed up my angry thoughts well.  I thought the show was great as a one off show.  Knowing the show doesn't change when playing multiple nights or in venues that are close I would never see the show right away.   I feel it's a shame to the fans that they do this 

my biggest gripe is just my thought that when they come back to North America to play this show.  Over a year has passed since there last North American leg.   They are playing in markets very very close to those they played.   I expect a completely different show.  Not a 15% change in a set list.    I am expecting the song orders get switched up.  I am expecting they drop the jam covers and song covers.  I expect they focus on playing some of there own songs. Not others.  I expect to hear a new song.  Perhaps two.     I expect to be disappointed 

1 hour ago, Evil Ash said:

Has this been the longest we've been without new music? Uyi till oh my God was less time then Chi dem and now? I fucking miss new songs!! 

For new music you can debate that 

in the mid 90s we had both slash and duff releasing solo albums.  Under the banner they hadn't left gnr yet 

We also had that cover song album 

then we got that other cover song on a soundtrack to a vampire movie 

then we got a sorta not sorta live album.   That had its own cover songs on it 

then finally we got a original song on a sound track around 99 

then in the next couple of year we actually had a bad out performing new unreleased music.  Great 

then we got some more touring to new u released music 

then we got a new album!!!   

Then..........

since..........

we got a blue ray of a Vegas show mist fans have seen a thousand times 

22 hours ago, TheBaconMan said:

So you have your opinion on when you as a fan would like to hear new music from this band.  Cool.  You are basing that off Axl reuintijg with two former members and adding a female piano player and wanting to give them some time.   Cool 

my feeling as a fan is that I have loved this band forever and have just a couple of studio albums of original music to listen to.   This band  in one format or another has played some of these same songs live for the past 30 years straight.   A good percentage of those songs are not even guns music.  They are cover songs. 

So I have given up time. I have zero time left.  I am not giving them the benifot of the doubt.   Because unlike in the past.   We don't even get to hear new unreleased music live.   There is nothing in it as a fan to see this current travelling show again live.   Yes I saw hem last year.   Why should I see them again this year?     So I can puke in my mouth when I hear kohd again live.  No thank you 

Baconman, why do you even post on here and on the other GNR board when you state you have given up time?  That doesn't make any sense. To quote Axl: "No one owes you a dam thing".  If I felt that way then I would not waste my time. 

I think people really had unrealistic expectations regarding new music. They just got back together last year. Furthermore, Axl was helping AC/DC.  Give them time. If they don't come out with at least one new song by the end of  next year then I'll agree there will never be any new music. 

Regarding the band  playing songs for the last 30 years, this is  BS and you know it. First off the ORIGINAL guitarist and bass player are back in the band. This is NOT Nu-GNR. Slash and Duff are playing November Rain, Estranged, Don't Cry, and CD songs. Second I don't remember them ever playing Coma  during every show like  they have been doing. They only played it once in the early 90s. That's it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Baconman, why do you even post on here and on the other GNR board when you state you have given up time?  That doesn't make any sense. To quote Axl: "No one owes you a dam thing".  If I felt that way then I would not waste my time. 

I think people really had unrealistic expectations regarding new music. They just got back together last year. Furthermore, Axl was helping AC/DC.  Give them time. If they don't come out with at least one new song by the end of  next year then I'll agree there will never be any new music. 

Regarding the band  playing songs for the last 30 years, this is  BS and you know it. First off the ORIGINAL guitarist and bass player are back in the band. This is NOT Nu-GNR. Slash and Duff are playing November Rain, Estranged, Don't Cry, and CD songs. Second I don't remember them ever playing Coma  during every show like  they have been doing. They only played it once in the early 90s. That's it. 

Good one... out of likes :lol:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheBaconMan said:

Why should I see them again this year?     So I can puke in my mouth when I hear kohd again live.  No thank you 

I will gladly take your ticket then so I can see Slash and Axl and Duff tear up that song :)

14 hours ago, Towelie said:

they don't have enough material.... what do you want? a full set with the non famous illusions songs? so people can be sitted and texting and shit? come on

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

Oh I only have time to post to one site these days and the titanic is sinking so I have jumped ship 

my fandom will not reset like yours.   I have been hearing this band play the same song over and over again.   You do seem to have a time limit on your new music fandom.  Cool.   Mine ran out.   

It was a great show.  But at these prices and returning to antler they already played a year prior.  I expect a different show 

slash playing scom and duff singing ise every night is not something I want to hear.   Honestly I don't want to hear either one of those songs   I want to hear them come up with something new 

again my fandom hasn't reset.   The past 30 years of myself supporting this band hasn't reset.   As a fan I only have a hand full of actual original songs from this band.   And they don't even play there own music live!  Come on

31 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

Oh I only have time to post to one site these days and the titanic is sinking so I have jumped ship 

my fandom will not reset like yours.   I have been hearing this band play the same song over and over again.   You do seem to have a time limit on your new music fandom.  Cool.   Mine ran out.   

It was a great show.  But at these prices and returning to antler they already played a year prior.  I expect a different show 

slash playing scom and duff singing ise every night is not something I want to hear.   Honestly I don't want to hear either one of those songs   I want to hear them come up with something new 

again my fandom hasn't reset.   The past 30 years of myself supporting this band hasn't reset.   As a fan I only have a hand full of actual original songs from this band.   And they don't even play there own music live!  Come on

You will always see Slash playing SCOM and KOHD, those songs will always be played, if you don't want to hear them then don't go to shows. You got some unrealistic expectations if you wish for them to drop any of these big hit songs, KOHD was played every show since 1991 even though it's actually only a cover.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

The same songs are not actually the same songs because the lineup is different. lol only in GNR-land will you see an argument like this.

6 hours ago, cqleonardo said:

they don't have enough material.... what do you want? a full set with the non famous illusions songs? so people can be sitted and texting and shit? come on

Not really, this is Tokio 1992, the order was swap around and there were some changes from one show to the next. Today and tomorrow they play in Tokio again. What are the odd they would do something similar this again despite the limited amount of material?

2.19.92 - Toyko Dome, Tokyo, Japan

set: Coma, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Bad Obsession, Double Talkin' Jive, Civil War, Wild Horses [Intro] / Patience, Attitude, Welcome To The Jungle, Don't Cry, Piano Solo, November Rain, Nightrain, Drum Solo, Guitar Solo, Godfather Theme, Sail Away Sweet Sister / Bad Time [Intro] / Sweet Child O' Mine, You Could Be Mine, So Fine, Only Women Bleed [Intro] / Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Estranged, Mother [Intro] / Paradise City

02.20.92 - Toyko Dome, Tokyo, Japan

set: It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Locomotive, Bad Obsession, Live And Let Die, Attitude, Don't Cry, Nightrain, So Fine, Wild Horses [Intro] / Patience, Welcome To The Jungle, Double Talkin' Jive, Civil War, Piano Solo, November Rain, Drum Solo, Guitar Solo, Godfather Theme, Sail Away Sweet Sister / Bad Time [Intro] / Sweet Child O' Mine, Move To The City, You Could Be Mine, Only Women Bleed [Intro] / Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Mother [Intro] / Paradise City

02.22.92 - Toyko Dome, Tokyo, Japan

set: Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, It's So Easy, Bad Obsession, Attitude, Pretty Tied Up, Welcome To The Jungle, Don't Cry, Double Talkin' Jive, Civil War, Wild Horses [Intro] / Patience, You Could Be Mine, Piano Solo, November Rain, Drum Solo, Guitar Solo, Godfather Theme, Sail Away Sweet Sister / Bad Time [Intro] / Sweet Child O' Mine, So Fine, Rocket Queen [w/ It Tastes Good, Don't It?], Move To The City, Only Women Bleed [Intro] / Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Estranged, Mother [Intro] / Paradise City

7 hours ago, cqleonardo said:

That's easily remedied. If GNR put out two new songs tacked onto a new GH package, we could have two brand new GNR tunes added to the setlist. And then they could rotate Coma with Locomotive on alternate nights, swap The Seeker for Move To The City and rotate Estranged with Breakdown, then the setlist would be so much more interesting. Why don't they do these things? Because they can't be arsed.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bigpoop said:

The same songs are not actually the same songs because the lineup is different. lol only in GNR-land will you see an argument like this.

You and Baconman are missing the point. though. I stated my case and that's it.  You guys just want to believe in alternative facts.  :lol: 

27 minutes ago, Draguns said:

You and Baconman are missing the point. though. I stated my case and that's it.  You guys just want to believe in alternative facts.  :lol: 

Funny you said that. Today McBob introduced GN'R as "alternative facts superstars" :devilshades:

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

Oh this was a great post.   As someone that has a different opinion then yours. As someone who is trying to justify that opinion with BIG BOY words  I actually get a kick out of it 

your opinion is 

I am a fan of gnr.  I love the fact that slash and diff are back touring with the band.   There setlist is perfect for every show they are doing on this tour   It doesn't matter that they play 5-7 cover songs a night if you count the jams.  Cause some of those songs where on albums and they have been playing hem for 30 years so why would they stop playin them cause fans want to hear them every night because they play them every night....   you also are giving them till the end of the year to release new music.  A date you randomly picked that works for you.  And what else:....   oh yeah everything is great 

cool.   My opinion is that all of that is stupid 

I hate the fact that my fav band in the world plays so many cover songs.   I hate the fact that they have turned into a touring novelty show that caters to the unwashed masses.  I hate the fact I haven't heard new music from this band in a decade with zero signs of anything ever coming out.   I think it's disgusting that this so called wordless most dangerous band plays the same songs in the same order every night.   Seems very safe not dangerous at all.   I think it's a joke how we get zero interviews or press out of this band.   Mans members get fired.  This band gets sued.   They hire a female keyboard player and we have no idea why.    Everything isn't great 

On January 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM, TheBaconMan said:

A couple posters here really summed up my angry thoughts well.  I thought the show was great as a one off show.  Knowing the show doesn't change when playing multiple nights or in venues that are close I would never see the show right away.   I feel it's a shame to the fans that they do this 

I rarely post but thought this thread was worthwhile. I'm glad that I'm not the only fan to be unhappy with how things have played out. Admittedly, I saw 3 NITL shows last year, and while I did have a good time at all 3, by the 3rd show, I was seeing this tour for what it was .. a mere cash grab. If all they are only going to do is cover 30 year old songs, at least have enough respect for the fans to bring all of GNR back. Initially, I thought Izzy would eventually play, and I thought Steven would play more than he has. Instead, we're being subjected to non-GNR heyday members, so that the core 3 can get the biggest cut of the pie as possible. It isn't right to Izzy and Steven, and it's not right to the fans who have waited decades to see GNR perform together. 

I'm not trying to hate on Axl, but he did lose some credibility just by agreeing to this tour. To spend 2 decades not speaking to someone, and when he occasionally did, it was mostly shit-talking, just to reunite and play it off as "it was always a possibility" is kind of weak, IMO. Slash is no better. I'm sure working with Axl again did sound lucrative, especially since Slash was in the middle of a divorce, and one in which there was no prenup.  

Personally, I won't be going to any more shows this year, unless we're told that Izzy and Steven will be there. OR, unless this currency lineup releases some music that impresses me. I'd be willing to bet that the latter of the 2 never happens, so it's either Izzy and Steven or BUST for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, todreamofwolves said:

I rarely post but thought this thread was worthwhile. I'm glad that I'm not the only fan to be unhappy with how things have played out. Admittedly, I saw 3 NITL shows last year, and while I did have a good time at all 3, by the 3rd show, I was seeing this tour for what it was .. a mere cash grab. If all they are only going to do is cover 30 year old songs, at least have enough respect for the fans to bring all of GNR back. Initially, I thought Izzy would eventually play, and I thought Steven would play more than he has. Instead, we're being subjected to non-GNR heyday members, so that the core 3 can get the biggest cut of the pie as possible. It isn't right to Izzy and Steven, and it's not right to the fans who have waited decades to see GNR perform together. 

I'm not trying to hate on Axl, but he did lose some credibility just by agreeing to this tour. To spend 2 decades not speaking to someone, and when he occasionally did, it was mostly shit-talking, just to reunite and play it off as "it was always a possibility" is kind of weak, IMO. Slash is no better. I'm sure working with Axl again did sound lucrative, especially since Slash was in the middle of a divorce, and one in which there was no prenup.  

Personally, I won't be going to any more shows this year, unless we're told that Izzy and Steven will be there. OR, unless this currency lineup releases some music that impresses me. I'd be willing to bet that the latter of the 2 never happens, so it's either Izzy and Steven or BUST for me.

I agree the set list could be better. There are many songs fro the UYI albums they could be playing. It's a shame Izzy is not there.And it's a shame they didn't make a better collective effort to get Izzy. Izzy wants to be there. We know this because Adler just confirmed in AMA. In fact the original 5 should be doing this tour. I still hope at some point it will happend. But there are other things I can't agree.

I don't care if Axl and Slash didn't speak to each for 2 decades. They are together now and it's great to see that. Is Slash doing it for the money? Maybe, but on stage the chemistry with Axl is still there, at least to some degree. Maybe Axl, Slash and Duff are still testing the waters after 2 decades of too much war among them. It takes time to heal so many wounds.

This is a reunion so the old songs and hits are a given. That's what reunion tours are about. Playing covers like The Seeker or Layla is idiotic. But KOHD and LALD are hits. What I don't don't understand is why they still play CD songs when only 10 or 20 people in a forum care about them.

Nobody knows about a new album. We have no information about it. They keep everything secret. IF the original 5 reunite and they decide to stick together as a long term policy. Then yes, they have to make an album of some kind in order to make the tour meaningful.

• Like 1

Realistically they could and should be able to make everyone happy on the next NA leg. Keep the core of the setlist so everyone hears the hits but make UTLH, Yesterdays, TWAT, My Michelle and maybe Nice Boys staples, rotate Coma and Locomotive, rotate CD songs (replace Better with IRS every once in a while, swap CITR for SOD), and replace The Seeker with literally anything. You Ain't The First would actually be pretty cool to open the encore and it's easy/relaxed vocally.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 10:05 AM, TheBaconMan said:

my biggest gripe is just my thought that when they come back to North America to play this show.  Over a year has passed since there last North American leg.   They are playing in markets very very close to those they played.   I expect a completely different show.  Not a 15% change in a set list.    

This is the norm with like 90 percent of all big acts though, I don't think it is reasonable to expect a completely different show when reality dictates a different set of expectations that are the norm.  Acts like Pearl Jam and Springsteen are in the minority in terms of major setlist changes from show to show/leg to leg.