Josh Freese: Would you guys approve a comeback?

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The one thing that puzzles me about Chinese is how Axl's lyrics declined so much, from Estranged to ''Chinese Stews''!! The bleeping and electronics can be explained away through self-indulgence, but how did his lyrics plummet so?

His lyrics are fine. At least he didn't write about peeing on the ground and jumping around. Let's be nice.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They are great rock n' roll lyrics actually. Iggy Pop there.

Just because Iggy Pop is great, doesn't mean it's acceptable to include lyrics about pee. Especially not on a Slash solo album.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'd rather have urine than a pussy full of maggots.

That is a lyric from an unreleased track. It is not a part of Chinese Democracy and so, it is irrelevant to this discussion.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I thought it was from Chinese 3, nestled between Atlas Shrugged and The General?

These work in progress song titles represent tunes that do in fact exist, but are not relevant to this discussion which compares the quality of lyrics between what officially got released in the album "Slash and friends" and Chinese Democracy. Please stay on topic.

Just now, Rovim said:

These work in progress song titles represent tunes that do in fact exist, but are not relevant to this discussion which compares the quality of lyrics between what officially got released in the album "Slash and friends" and Chinese Democracy. Please stay on topic.

Isn't it ironic. You spend years discussing 'mythological' albums and songs, yet now repudiate the concept of those albums and songs because a songs intended for one of those mythological albums possesses lyrics which are beyond terrible?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Isn't it ironic. You spend years discussing 'mythological' albums and songs, yet now repudiate the concept of those albums and songs because a songs intended for one of those mythological albums possesses lyrics which are beyond terrible?

Intended? irrelevant. Only officially released tunes and lyrics are a part of this discussion. Silkworms is a work in progress title and song. Lyrics are not final. For all we know "pussy full of maggots" is subject to change. Axl could have tinkered with it, it can be an entirely different pussy by now. Maggots free. We don't know.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

Intended? irrelevant. Only officially released tunes and lyrics are a part of this discussion. Silkworms is a work in progress title and song. Lyrics are not final. For all we know "pussy full of maggots" is subject to change. Axl could have tinkered with it, it can be an entirely different pussy by now, Maggots free. We don't know.

''Pussy full of Maggots'' is still a lyric that has been written by W. Axl Rose, and was deemed worthy enough a lyric by W. Axl Rose to perform in front of thousands (Rio 3).

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Pussy full of Maggots'' is still a lyric that has been written by W. Axl Rose, and was deemed worthy enough a lyric by W. Axl Rose to perform in front of thousands (Rio 3).

A live performance from 16 years ago still doesn't change the fact it was never officially released, Axl was displeased with the song and said he didn't like it and even said a lot of changes were made to the tune.

If you said Oh My God, I could somehow maybe kinda allow it, but we know Axl has made significant changes to Silkworms like removing it's chorus and adding a lot of guitars. Work in progress lyrics cannot be judged as a final product and therefore the quality of those lyrics are irrelevant. Doesn't count.

Edited by Rovim

Can't we just pretend that line was Pitman's idea? :P

By the way, that killer song Slash did with Izzy and Josh (and Ian Astbury and Chris Chainey) is called "Ghost". It's just about ONE ghost, not many :lol:

Just now, Rovim said:

A live performance from 16 years ago still doesn't change the fact it was never officially released, Axl was displeased about the song and said he didn't like it and even said a lot of changes were made to the tune.

If you said Oh My God, I could somehow maybe kinda allow it, but we know Axl has made significant changes to Silkworms like removing it's chorus and adding a lot of guitars. The work in progress lyrics cannot be judged as a final product and therefore the quality of those lyrics are irrelevant. Doesn't count.

I disagree.

I would agree if it was just a discarded demo that subsequently leaked, however, ''Silk Worms'' was thought worthy by Axl's editorial control to perform in front of 200,000 - more infact if you include the televised audience, and indeed perform on a further two occasions approximately one year later.

I disagree.

I would agree if it was just a discarded demo that subsequently leaked, however, ''Silk Worms'' was thought worthy by Axl's editorial control to perform in front of 200,000 - more infact if you include the televised audience, and indeed perform on a further two occasions approximately one year later.

Doesn't count if it was never featured on the album. It could be released someday with the changes Axl made to it without some lyrics including ones you deem weak. It's not the final product, so the quality of the lyrics do not count. Axl tried it live, but it wasn't a part of the final product. Fairly easy to understand, I'm sure.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

Doesn't count if it was never featured on the album. It could be released someday with the changes Axl made to it without some lyrics including ones you deem weak. It's not the final product, so the quality of the lyrics do not count. Axl tried it live, but it wasn't a part of the final product. Fairly easy to understand, I'm sure.

A live performance is a final product for those hearing it.

• Like 1

A live performance is a final product for those hearing it.

Those who are hearing it are given a taste from a a dish that is still being prepared. We have Axl telling us he doesn't like it in it's current state, it was never released officially, 16 years after it's live debut, and you're still giving it as an example, even if we know for a fact Axl has made many changes to it including removing the chorus no less, and adding guitars.

Edited by Rovim

17 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Those who are hearing it are given a taste from a a dish that is still being prepared. We have Axl telling us he doesn't like it in it's current state, it was never released officially, 16 years after it's live debut, and you're still giving it as an example, even if we know for a fact Axl has made many changes to it including removing the chorus no less, and adding guitars.

I disagree. So just because something is only performed live, it is not a proper song. Shit, there goes 40% of Neil Young's songs!!

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I disagree. So just because something is only performed live, it is not a proper song. Shit, there goes 40% of Neil Young's songs!!

I only judge what Axl officially releases, It's nothing like Neil. There aren't many quality live tunes that were unreleased like in Neil's case. I don't include Going Down as well or Crash Diet.

I feel like you're losing the argument, but not sure.

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I only judge what Axl officially releases, It's nothing like Neil. There aren't many quality live tunes that were unreleased like in Neil's case. I don't include Going Down as well or Crash Diet.

I feel like you're losing the argument, but not sure.

No, I'm not.

Fact. Axl wrote the lyrics. Axl thought they were good enough for 200,000 plus people. We all suffered as a consequence.

''Pussy full of maggots'' indeed!

• Like 3

No, I'm not.

Fact. Axl wrote the lyrics. Axl thought they were good enough for 200,000 plus people. We all suffered as a consequence.

''Pussy full of maggots'' indeed!

No you're not? but it was never released and how many times did he even play it live? like twice and a half? is he not allowed to road test some of the shit? he never used it officially. Don't be silly.

Just now, Rovim said:

No you're not? but it was never released and how many times did he even play it live? like twice and a half? is he not allowed to road test some of the shit? he never used it officially. Don't be silly.

Four times.

Why didn't he excise editorial control when he was writing ''pussy full of maggots'' in his notebook, scratching it out with a pen, and not posthumous to a performance at a 200,000 capacity televised festival?