Did Velvet Revolver ever live up to GNR to you?

AxlRoseCDII

Velvet Revolver weren't quite Stone Temple Pilots, and miles away from being GN'R. I found their songs generally sounded the same, however they did have some brilliant ones which will be remembered in rock history.  alongside STP and GNR. I don't think they had enough albums to really be given a fair chance as a band. 

• Like 2

I think they had a few great songs, and some good, but not enough to the extent of GNR imo. But then again they only had two albums, the first of which was written mostly without Scott. For live performances, and i saw this as a Scott Weiland fan, he wasnt consistently good. His melodies he wrote needed to be delivered with his specific tone that he always did on records, but live he almost always used a different "voice" than what he used in the studio.

I did like the new sound (compared to their GNR sound) that the band had. Duff seemed solid. I dont know if the new sound was attributed soley to them playing in Drop D, or that they purposfully walked into that sound. The riffs were good, and Slashs solos seemed perfect for the songs (except for Loving the Alien, i thought that one needed work). I like most of the songs, with the exception of Do It For the Kids. (and a few others) I thought the chorus on that song wasnt very good. The riff (that was presumably Izzys) was good though. For She Mine, i always thought that the "I call it love insanity..." should've been the chorus.

I still listen to Slither, Let it Roll, Gravedancer, For a Brother, and that non album song that was on Fantastic 4s soundtrack on semi regular basis

Edited by Mendez

Velvet Revolver was a great band. 'Messages' is by far their best song. Their style was kinda unique, mixing STP with GNR while sounding modern. Slash came up with really creative and catchy riffs, some in drop D, showing he's more versatile than just a blues-y influenced guitarist. Some songs feel more like GNR than most of Axl's solo album showing how vital Slash was to the GNR sound.

Their radio rock songs are lots of fun and the ballads are beautiful and well crafted pop tunes. Underrated band.

• Like 3

Nope. I don't really care for most of their songs.

I only like Fall to Pieces, Dirty Little Thing, She Builds Quick Machines and maybe 1 or 2 more.

And I don't want Axl to sing Slither (unless it replaces The @#@er) :lol:

As Perla said, VR wasn't Slash's best work. I prefer his solo stuff by far.

23 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

Nope. I don't really care for most of their songs.

I only like Fall to Pieces, Dirty Little Thing, She Builds Quick Machines and maybe 1 or 2 more.

And I don't want Axl to sing Slither (unless it replaces The @#@er) :lol:

As Perla said, VR wasn't Slash's best work. I prefer his solo stuff by far.

I love the way fans like to quote Perla, as if she's some kind of authority on quality rock music.

I personally think VR had Slash's best post-GNR material.

• Like 1

On 28/1/2017 at 1:47 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

I like a handful of songs but they were nowhere near as good as GNR. I was never a Scott/STP fan though.

Yeah I agree. I like a few songs. But I never like STP/Weiland. At the same time Scott was the kind of singer/frotman Slash and Duff needed. And being capable to melt STP and GN'R sound was a big achivement from their part. And to their credit Contraband sold more albums than CD. I like their videos more than their songs. She Builds Quick Machines it's the best example. I love the video but not much the song

They did in a way. I think GNR was better but I have this sort of addiction for VR too.

First time I got to see Slash and Duff, it was with VR and that (along with the fact that Scott was unbelievable) is a memory I'll treasure forever.

I listen to VR veeery often and in fact, 2 of the 3 times I got to see GNR last year, I travelled to the venue listening to Contraband. That album gets me in a great mood and it's probably the best/coolest album released by one of my favorite bands since I listen to music (well, Californication too).

So yeah, I think GNR is better but I probably love VR just as much, they're a very special band to me.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2017 at 5:36 PM, Homefuck said:

I enjoyed VR, but would've preferred if slash made a couple of more records with the "ain't life grand"-era of snakepit. That band was on fire! Easily slash's best work outside gnr imo.

Underrated as fuck. That album had some of Slash's best tones

• Like 2

Did they live up to GNR? Hmm. There are similarities if we're talking more literally, as in Scott leaving the band and the group later disbanding; similar to Guns N' Roses and how they fell apart. But musically they are different. I really enjoyed both albums, they're fun to listen to. One of my favourites by them would have to be You Got No Right, and then there's Loving The Alien. I really dug some of the more melancholic songs, although both albums live up, to me. The songs have been with me through weird, hectic moments in my brain.

• Like 1

Loved contraband, there was so much excitement back then surrounding the "project"

i bought it the day it was released and listened for days on end.

imo it was a solid debut and in a way kind of picked up where guns n roses finished, with a reworking by izzy and put axl on vocals, it would have been a very solid next GNR album

VR is my favourite Slash band out of Guns. Got to be my favourite band after Guns.  

I saw some amazing shows. They had a great energy and chemistry on stage. Scott flanked by Slash N Duff during Fall To Pieces is such an epic pose. 

I do agree Messages was one of their best songs. So strange it wasn't on an album. 

Suckertrain has got to be one of the all time best opening tunes.

On 1/27/2017 at 10:08 AM, Gracii Guns said:

Velvet Revolver weren't quite Stone Temple Pilots, and miles away from being GN'R. I found their songs generally sounded the same, however they did have some brilliant ones which will be remembered in rock history.  alongside STP and GNR. I don't think they had enough albums to really be given a fair chance as a band. 

thanks for posting this...it's really heartwrenchingly beautiful...

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 11:08 AM, Gracii Guns said:

I'm not saying one way is better than another, but I'd reverse that and say they weren't quite Guns yet miles away from stone temple pilots. STP was more alternative whereas VR was dirty blues rock in a Guns N' Roses way. At least to me. Set Me Free sounds like it was written for Guns.

Coincidentally, early demos from new GNR ironically sounded like Guns covering something off of STP's tiny music. Particularly the early IRS demo. I think Axls late 90s/early 00s vision of Guns was more alternative in an STP/ grungy way. Even Chinese has that Nirvana sound to it. Everyone thought tripping on a hole in a paper heart was cobain resurrected. This was pre internet, at the height of the Courtney Love killed him/he faked it to leave the limelight conspiracies. Alternative Grunge styling was in so that's how I saw new GNR heading at that time.

Guns seem to exist in parallels. Guns. Roses. Axl unpopular, slash popular. Mixing different styles throughout the catalogue. So it makes total sense VR got the STP singer just as new GNR was going for an STP sound. It's a topsy turvy world.

• Like 1

@Sprite That's a very good post for a good point made. Thanks for sharing your insight. I'm not old enough to remember the early-mid 90s, so my judgement was based solely on the music I'd heard. Regardless, Im blessed enough to have seen STP live (post VR) and that was really special, Scott Weiland was a worthy frontman for any hard rock band. 

• Like 2