Did Velvet Revolver ever live up to GNR to you?

AxlRoseCDII

• 2 weeks later...

I listen VR albums often in last few months but never compared them to GNR because it is totaly fifferent thing for me... i find both Libertad and Contraband best post '93 from any GNR member...

SMKC dont work for me because I dont really like mk... Duff have few good songs but not many, Izzys stuff seems unfinished, and ChiDem is too much of everything... 

I liked some of their songs, but didn't feel the same way about them as I did about GnR or other bands I was really into.

I did see them live once. I loved seeing Slash and Duff playing together again with Matt, and they were fantastic together, but I really didn't like Scott Weiland. It was toward the end of his time with VR,  and I don't think he was in a great place. He spent a good portion of the show sitting down on the stage, muttering...I ended up ignoring him because it was incredibly sad.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2017 at 4:22 PM, bucketfoot said:

No. They were good but nowhere near GN'R. Saw them live once and they were excellent, Weiland was amazing that night, he was a fantastic frontman.

He sure was.... wish I could have seen him perform. :cry:

1 hour ago, marlingrl03 said:

He had a mix of Axl/Johnny Rotten about him at the gig I saw, his hair was dyed bright red and looked fucking mental! :lol: Loads of raw energy though, he gave absolutely everything that night. It was one of the best gigs I've been to and much better than when I went to see the Axl Rose band a few years later, that was average. :(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Such a shame you didn't get to see him, he was a monster on stage!

6 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

He had a mix of Axl/Johnny Rotten about him at the gig I saw, his hair was dyed bright red and looked fucking mental! :lol: Loads of raw energy though, he gave absolutely everything that night. It was one of the best gigs I've been to and much better than when I went to see the Axl Rose band a few years later, that was average. :(

He was exactly that amazing when I saw him (today it's 10 years since that gig actually!), it was an epic show. Axl is my favorite singer but Scott is my favorite frontman.

6 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

He was exactly that amazing when I saw him (today it's 10 years since that gig actually!), it was an epic show. Axl is my favorite singer but Scott is my favorite frontman.

A bit of Iggy in there as well. :shades: Shame I never saw him with STP, don't think they played the UK that often really over the years, certainly not full tours. He was brilliant with VR though, he had the megaphone etc. He blew me away when I saw them to be honest and more than held his own alongside Slash and Duff. Love his '12 Bar Blues' solo record as well.

14 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

A bit of Iggy in there as well. :shades: Shame I never saw him with STP, don't think they played the UK that often really over the years, certainly not full tours. He was brilliant with VR though, he had the megaphone etc. He blew me away when I saw them to be honest and more than held his own alongside Slash and Duff. Love his '12 Bar Blues' solo record as well.

I didn't get to see him with STP either and it sucks because I love them! I'm a bigger fan of his other solo record, though, Happy In Galoshes is brilliant IMO.

2 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I didn't get to see him with STP either and it sucks because I love them! I'm a bigger fan of his other solo record, though, Happy In Galoshes is brilliant IMO.

Missing Cleveland is epic. One of my favourite songs. 

I saw him with STP 4 times. He was by far the only star of the band. I loved how he'd stand in-between Slash N Duff in VR. 3 Stars together 

• Like 1

well since at the time Velvet Revolver existed i didn't know who Duff, Slash or Matt Sorum was and only knew Scott was a hot mess because of drugs all i could think was how long it would be before Scott screwed up. looking back, they were a much better band than i originally thought they were and it's sad that Scott didn't make it.

21 hours ago, WildStar said:

Missing Cleveland is epic. One of my favourite songs. 

I saw him with STP 4 times. He was by far the only star of the band. I loved how he'd stand in-between Slash N Duff in VR. 3 Stars together 

I actually posted Missing Cleveland in the MyGNR music challenge, such a wonderful song! I love Killing Me Sweetly and Pictures And Computers even more, though. So many killer songs on that record. 

I like all the members of STP (although I hate the way those guys tarnished the band's legacy replacing Scott :max:) but Scott was something else!