Paul Stanley of Kiss

dontdamnmeuyi2015

18 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

This thread is turning into the Paul Stanley crimes against music/fashion thread :lol:

In defence of 80's KISS (which is pretty much indefensible, I know) :lol:

dont get me wrong man!

silly lyrics (and shitty 80 visuals) aside, "you make me rock hard" and "lets put the x in sex" are great (pop) rockers!

in my book, both are at least 18 times more fun than the entire axl solo discography!

• Like 1

Creatures of the Night was the first KISS album I ever bought so it forever biased my view of the band because I thought that that was what KISS always sounded like. Initially it took me a long time to get into the earlier stuff. To this day, that and Revenge are my favourite KISS albums. There's a few gems along the way in the eighties material but most of it is limited to one or two decent tracks per album and a lot of pure crap filler.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Creatures of the Night was the first KISS album I ever bought so it forever biased my view of the band because I thought that that was what KISS always sounded like. Initially it took me a long time to get into the earlier stuff. To this day, that and Revenge are my favourite KISS albums. There's a few gems along the way in the eighties material but most of it is limited to one or two decent tracks per album and a lot of pure crap filler.

same here, creatures was my first

to this day i can not understand why they dont play "(She's a) Killer" every night

Also cant understand why they dont play "You Love me To Hate You" twice every night!

its such a good track!

On 1/30/2017 at 3:39 PM, Silent Jay said:

Peter Criss ain't coming back, I seriously doubt it.

I know that Gene is not interested in making another Kiss album unless there's a financial model that works. So that would mean Ace Frehley.

He said "People have convinced themselves they don't wanna pay for stuff. And last time I checked, KISS is not a charity." :D

he is such a money monger, smh...i LOVE Ace, he is so cool! :D

On 2/5/2017 at 0:33 AM, Silent Jay said:

16473612_10154044500465378_6009805853362

MEANWHILE ~ some guy name "Eugene" crashed Ace's VIP meet-n-greet last nite in Beverly Hills without rendering payment. 
If any of you Rock Soldiers can identify this man of mystery, let us know!
Team Ace

Gene and Paul have been friendly towards Ace this year, why not just get him back in Kiss for a final tour? Does anyone REALLY care about Tommy Thayer? Come on...

7 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Gene and Paul have been friendly towards Ace this year, why not just get him back in Kiss for a final tour? Does anyone REALLY care about Tommy Thayer? Come on...

To me....this all seems to be leading to one final run with Ace (and possibly Peter) in the mix.  Just don't see how they can work Peter back in.  That bridge has been burnt on both ends, I don't see how it is repairable and even if it is, I don't think Peter is capable of handling a tour physically and emotionally.

5 hours ago, tsinindy said:

To me....this all seems to be leading to one final run with Ace (and possibly Peter) in the mix.  Just don't see how they can work Peter back in.  That bridge has been burnt on both ends, I don't see how it is repairable and even if it is, I don't think Peter is capable of handling a tour physically and emotionally.

Id hop on the Ace reunion rumor train, but they have shows already scheduled with Tommy clearly taking part

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Id hop on the Ace reunion rumor train, but they have shows already scheduled with Tommy clearly taking part

Yah, there are ways around that....or they are planning for the future like @PsychoKiss344 noted.  

I don't think bringing just Ace back on board brings them that big of a marketable improvement.  Ace and Peter, yes, but for most of us who were around with the original reunion and subsequent tours, they kinda blew that wad already.  

So, maybe you are right and Gene is just being a stand up dude.  But, that doesn't explain Paul buddying back up to Ace as well of late.   I find it hard to believe Gene is showing up out of the goodness of his heart all of a sudden, do you?

Peter could barely keep up with the band during his last 2003 stint with the band. We're 14 years past that now and he'll be 72 this year. I have sincere doubts in his abilities to play a full two hour show. Even if they chop it to 90 minutes for a "lean and mean" final run, I still have my doubts. Detroit Rock City was painful in 2003 with the slow tempo and deliberately missed drum fills. I can't imagine he's gotten any better...

However, I'm all for Ace coming back.

On 2/7/2017 at 8:05 PM, tsinindy said:

Yah, there are ways around that....or they are planning for the future like @PsychoKiss344 noted.  

I don't think bringing just Ace back on board brings them that big of a marketable improvement.  Ace and Peter, yes, but for most of us who were around with the original reunion and subsequent tours, they kinda blew that wad already.  

So, maybe you are right and Gene is just being a stand up dude.  But, that doesn't explain Paul buddying back up to Ace as well of late.   I find it hard to believe Gene is showing up out of the goodness of his heart all of a sudden, do you?

I think they could definitely make a hoopla with the return of Ace. I am not saying they'd be playing stadiums, but they could go back to at least booking arenas around the USA again. KISS has dropped in popularity and attendance immensely in the past decade. Its like NuGNR... the current lineup has toured EVERYWHERE and now resorts to small arenas in smaller markets, ampitheaters in major markets, and even relies on double bills (like with Crue and Def Leppard) to fill places. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but its got to suck for them seeing bands from their era like Aerosmith, Rush, Van Halen, etc play to packed arenas. Detroit loves KISS, and they haven't headlined arenas here in years. They did a 2 night stint at Cobo Arena (which was smaller and run down, anyways) almost a decade ago, but that sold well because the "KISS at Cobo" fantasy.

So yeah, I think they could easily do an arena run with good marketing (and you know it would be with KISS). Sure, people would complain about Peter, but look at reunions with big bands like GNR, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, etc. All missing key members but those bands get a huge popularity and attendance boost. I know they did the reunion before, but so did Sabbath, and it was a long time ago now. I am sure people would go out to see them with Ace back as a last hoorah. Plus, there are younger fans like me who missed the reunion because we were too young.

I also think something COULD be up. Ace and Paul played together and made a video and now seeing Gene at the Ace show is very interesting, but this is just what I do. When the GNR rumors were in full force I didn't believe it, because I didn't want to get my hopes up. It didn't mean I didn't see the signs or secretly was getting excited. I really hope they get Ace back. I've seen KISS 3 times and Ace once on his own. They are a guilty pleasure of mine and I love 'em, but I wouldn't see them again without Ace. Tommy does a good job imitating Ace, but I'd rather see the real deal in the band, even if Ace isn't as good as he used to be. I'd be psyched. I just can't get my hopes up, though, especially because they have shows booked well into the year with the current lineup. Why would they wait to bring Ace back? Would Tommy know about a potential rumor and still go along with these shows? I don't think so. Also, as early as a month or two ago Gene was bashing Ace pretty bad about his past drug and alcohol addictions and admittedly denied a potential reunion.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gackt said:

I wouldn't get hopes up about a full-blown reunion tour, but I can see an MTV Unplugged happening again where the original band gets together for KISS Kruise VII to play a set for the stans that paid thousands to get on board

Why would they do that.  That cruise sells out anyway, no need to do anything "special" for it.  Remember Gene is a business man, first and foremost.  Pretty much everything he does is when a business mans intent.  So, bringing Ace along on the cruise isn't good business unless they don't pay him and he doesn't draw from the bottom line or they would use him appearing as leverage to up the price or otherwise justify a larger profit margin.  Gene doesn't do nice things out of the goodness of his heart, that just isn't who he is.

I agree with @ZoSoRose that bringing Ace back on board would probably get them back to being able to headline bigger arenas again, probably.  Not sure KISS could do stadiums again even with Peter unless it was a co-headlining deal or huge triple bill/traveling festival of sorts.

I love KISS....they were my first exposure to rock and roll, the first album I ever purchased when I was 8 was Alive II.

Ive seen them more than anyone else in my life except Metallica and I've seen Metallica 27 times, KISS - 12.  Don't think I've seen any other band more than 5 times (but GnR in July in STL will be 6 and I've seen Rage 5 times).  Seen some great shows (first reunion with make up on was amazing) and not so great...last show with Peter and Ace back after putting the make up on).  I've seen them with Tommy and Eric Singer and Eric is great, too good in a way.  But Tommy does nothing for me and I will never see them again without Ace.   But Ace re-joining them doesn't exactly tickle my loins either....I kinda just wish they'd be done and quit diluting their legacy, really.

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1