Paul Stanley of Kiss

dontdamnmeuyi2015

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

Why would they do that.  That cruise sells out anyway, no need to do anything "special" for it.  Remember Gene is a business man, first and foremost.  Pretty much everything he does is when a business mans intent.  So, bringing Ace along on the cruise isn't good business unless they don't pay him and he doesn't draw from the bottom line or they would use him appearing as leverage to up the price or otherwise justify a larger profit margin.  Gene doesn't do nice things out of the goodness of his heart, that just isn't who he is.

I agree with @ZoSoRose that bringing Ace back on board would probably get them back to being able to headline bigger arenas again, probably.  Not sure KISS could do stadiums again even with Peter unless it was a co-headlining deal or huge triple bill/traveling festival of sorts.

I love KISS....they were my first exposure to rock and roll, the first album I ever purchased when I was 8 was Alive II.

Ive seen them more than anyone else in my life except Metallica and I've seen Metallica 27 times, KISS - 12.  Don't think I've seen any other band more than 5 times (but GnR in July in STL will be 6 and I've seen Rage 5 times).  Seen some great shows (first reunion with make up on was amazing) and not so great...last show with Peter and Ace back after putting the make up on).  I've seen them with Tommy and Eric Singer and Eric is great, too good in a way.  But Tommy does nothing for me and I will never see them again without Ace.   But Ace re-joining them doesn't exactly tickle my loins either....I kinda just wish they'd be done and quit diluting their legacy, really.

I never had the chance to see them with Ace so I would go. Ace is fat and washed up. Saw him for the first time this past summer. He played for free at the parking lot of a Harley dealership. His playing was sloppy and his voice sucked (he also seemed wasted but he claims to be sober) but I was glad to say I saw him. Most Spinal Tap-esque show I have been to. It was terrible but I had fun. Wouldnt go see him or KISS again unless they got together. Yes, he is fat and doesnt give a fuck anymore but at least thats a more authentic experience. Ace's contributions to the band are vital.

They could definitely play up a final reunion run and nail out 15-20k seaters with just Ace I think. Peter would seal the deal but I dont see his return. The last reunion might as well been an eternity ago.

Headlining stadiums? Highly doubt it unless it was billed as a final tour with the original 4 with cheap tickets. The current lineup has over saturated the world even worse than NuGNR did. If they had another band like Van Halen or something again it would work, but doubt theyd go for that anyways.

So yeah, I think they should get Ace back. I dont care if Tommy poses and struts around like young Ace or hits all of the notes because he is NOT Ace. Ace is the real deal no matter how washed up and terrible it would be.

• Like 2

With a successful final album, and special guests I could see them headlining a few stadiums.

Last time I saw a Kiss concert was in 2010. I liked Sonic Boom, and Stanley's voice was decent at that time. Wish they could have played God of Thunder, all time favourite of mine. They also did homage to Dio that was pretty cool.

I like how Ace makes no great effort to hide the fact he is a bit porky, has thinning hair and is basically old...Gene and Paul could take a leaf out of his book every now and then.

I wouldn't cross the street to see KISS with Tommy and Eric.

It would be nice if they could sort of put aside the KISS thing and just do something together as Stanley, Frehley and Simmons.

I think Criss may be too far gone.

55 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

In fairness to the era with the two fakes, Sonic Boom was a decent album. I got a surprise at how decent it was. Meaty rock n' roll. Much better than Psycho Circus. (I've not got around to listening to their last).

Modern Day Delilah is very decent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Paul Stanley was once again asked about the possibility of a reunion of KISS's original lineup, featuring guitarist Ace Frehley and drummer Peter Criss. He responded: "No. And that's not coming from any place of animosity. I sang on Ace's most recent album and did a video with him. I have the connection and the reconnection and to celebrate the good things we've done together is terrific. The band as it is — I've played with [current KISS drummer] Eric Singer for, I think, 25 years and Tommy's [Thayer, guitar] been in the band probably 15 years at this point. I have no thoughts of re-visiting the past. With that said, I am happy to enhance or do whatever I can for anyone who has helped put me where I am, but that doesn't include getting hitched again to somebody I unhitched from."

Just saw that, what a bummer.

Then again you can't trust anything Simmons or Stanley say.

If they genuinely plan to have Ace come back then it could just be his way of not spoiling it for now. That's basically the same type of comment he always makes.

The 2009 and 2010 KISS shows I saw were terrific. Paul's voice was holding out and they played nearly two and a half hour shows. After that it's been steadily going downhill. The shows where they doubled up with Crue and subsequently Def Leppard were 75 minutes (I get that co-headlining ends up in shorter sets but man, literally half the length - not to mention Paul's voice). The standalone I saw in 2013 if memory serves correctly was better, but still didn't quite live up to 2009/2010 shows.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer but I don't understand why they haven't created their own stage characters. Vinnie Vincent (The Ankh Warrior) and Eric Carr (The Fox) were able to do it. 

Edited by Sosso

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎01 at 3:08 PM, Sosso said:

I really like Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer but I don't understand why they haven't created their own stage characters. Vinnie Vincent (The Ankh Warrior) and Eric Carr (The Fox) were able to do it. 

If it would have been up to them, they probably would have. It was Paul and Gene who decided the fate of the make-up.

• 3 months later...
On 3/1/2017 at 3:08 PM, Sosso said:

And that worked out how for them?   

I've just answered your question.....and no offense to Eric I love Eric Carr, he is the best drummer KISS ever had.  But, having them as new characters plain and simple did not work for the band.  

9 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

And that worked out how for them?   

I've just answered your question.....and no offense to Eric I love Eric Carr, he is the best drummer KISS ever had.  But, having them as new characters plain and simple did not work for the band.  

I would rather see a musician with a very own stage presence than a copy of someone. That's why I liked Buckethead and Robin much better than DJ Ashba

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Sosso said:

I would rather see a musician with a very own stage presence than a copy of someone. That's why I liked Buckethead and Robin much better than DJ Ashba

Yah I feel what you're saying there.   I just don't think it works in general....though the real issue probably is kiss I just trying to squeeze every last dime they can get.  So, no matter what they do ot isn't going to go over well in general.  

First saw Kiss back in 1975  I believe it was in April  at the Field House in Erie, PA on the same bill as Joe Walsh's Drummer's band  Joe Vitale's Madmen and Rush.  Don't remember who headlined Kiss or Rush but it was like a small college Gym and I was standing on the floor not far from the stage and can still feel the heat on my face from Kiss's flash pots............they had great multi band concerts back in the 70's

On 17.6.2017 at 5:25 PM, tsinindy said:

Yah I feel what you're saying there.   I just don't think it works in general....though the real issue probably is kiss I just trying to squeeze every last dime they can get.  So, no matter what they do ot isn't going to go over well in general.  

True. Anyone who thinks that the current GN'R tour is a money grab hasn't saw Kiss yet

In fairness to Kiss they put out a couple of new albums and play one-two new songs from those. 'Hell or Hallelujah' or something or other. Yes, even a band as cash-grabby and museum like as Kiss are even more creative than Guns!! Bet their tickets are cheaper also.