Tommy Stinson talks about Guns N Roses recordings

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/how-tommy-stinson-moved-on-from-replacements-and-gnr-w458836

In this interview in Rolling Stone Tommy Stinson says:

Stinson says there's a wealth of recordings Guns N' Roses made during his tenure that have yet to be released. "There's some stuff with lyrics, some without," he says. "We did a lot of stuff that was supposed to be on Chinese Democracy – the record was meant to be more than one disc, but after spending so much time on it we just had to put an end to it. There's also stuff that was held over from [the original lineup] before they all disbanded, so there's some stuff that should someday see the light of day."

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

I still believe that the only way to see new material from Axl is after his death, don't believe he will ever put something out again

My fear is even worse than that. My fear is that he will continue writing and recording music and we will never get any of it because whoever lands his estate will decide to bury it with him.

My hope is that he is happy with his life and somebody convinces him to let his music go free and he releases it into the wild.

17 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Duff, Slash and Axl are called the big three 'cause they are the big three in this lineup. I thought that you if anyone would agree with that?

there is no big three in GNR. there are 5 guys. if there is a big three in gnr it is axl, izzy and slash. remove one of them and you dont have GNR anymore

to call axl, slash and duff the big three is a joke

its also an endorsement to all the nonsense that they are doing right now touring the world with four aliens playing shitty speedy versions of the best songs ever written and calling themselves GNR

3 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

My fear is even worse than that. My fear is that he will continue writing and recording music and we will never get any of it because whoever lands his estate will decide to bury it with him.

My hope is that he is happy with his life and somebody convinces him to let his music go free and he releases it into the wild.

you can be sure that whoever lands axl state will release every little bit of it

very slowly

bit by bit

during decades

and make millions in the process

The big 3 ARE Slash, Axl, and Duff. Izzy quit in the 90's. when he did, EVERYONE still considered the band GnR. If you think different then you probably weren't there. There was a GnR without Izzy then and there's a GnR without Izzy now. Deal with it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cqleonardo said:

I still believe that the only way to see new material from Axl is after his death, don't believe he will ever put something out again

I disagree with people releasing stuff against an artists wishes like that. Sure its nice to hear music they made but If they wanted to release it they would.

2 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

I disagree with people releasing stuff against an artists wishes like that. Sure its nice to hear music they made but If they wanted to release it they would.

I am sorry. I tried. I usually have a pretty strong moral center but when I looked deep inside myself to reflect on your comment it said "fuck it, give me the music." :shrugs:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sanity_lost said:

I am sorry. I tried. I usually have a pretty strong moral center but when I looked deep inside myself to reflect on your comment it said "fuck it, give me the music." :shrugs:

Its fine you know honestly I know there is many artists music and works released after death. In some aspects it may not take away from their integrity but when an artist specifically and intentionally doesnt want it released I have a problem, and the reasons could be varied on why.

There may be for example artists like George Michael for example who was working on new music when he passed and in those instances I feel sometimes differently. 

I write stories and I have a box full of notebooks filled with stories I wrote but don't share with anyone despite having shared and published others. Some to me, don't represent what I consider my best, or are in genres I explored but my every day readers aren't familiar with me writing in. The latter of course puts more pressure on me and I haven't crossed the threshold yet of just using another alias to write under. Some just aren't finished you know.

Growing up I wrote poems many from a broken heart or a place that just doesn't resonate with me anymore. And sometimes as a writer you just want to express yourself and later don't think people will understand where your coming from with it.

Perhaps the artist in me is sometimes why I understand the complexities in it. 

Of course, I also realize that many artists works released after death turn out to really touch people in ways they may not have before but if we think about it, is it really for the reasons the artists intended?

Either way all kidding aside I hope we get new music and think we will and it's way too premature to talk about music post death anyway lol. I can't imagine a world without GnR in it.

I have nothing against the joy fans feel at having new music to remember and listen to though, as an author I just understand another side of it. Unfortunately much of it is about profit and not really the artists integrity. 

Want to add this isn't always the case for why artist's haven't release things sometimes it may not fit into the album or what not. 

Edited by BOSSY78
Autocorrect sucks

12 hours ago, ludurigan said:

there is no big three in GNR. there are 5 guys. if there is a big three in gnr it is axl, izzy and slash. remove one of them and you dont have GNR anymore

to call axl, slash and duff the big three is a joke

its also an endorsement to all the nonsense that they are doing right now touring the world with four aliens playing shitty speedy versions of the best songs ever written and calling themselves GNR

You just don't get it. "Big Three" is a way to differentiate the 3 originals on this lineup from the others, it doesn't mean they're bigger than Izzy and Steven. If one of them rejoined, they would be the big four and if Duff decided to quit, then you would have another big three with Axl, Slash and Izzy/Steven. The current line up features three out of the big five, that's it.

12 hours ago, Hell House said:

The big 3 ARE Slash, Axl, and Duff. Izzy quit in the 90's. when he did, EVERYONE still considered the band GnR. If you think different then you probably weren't there. There was a GnR without Izzy then and there's a GnR without Izzy now. Deal with it.

That doesn't make them any bigger than Izzy anyway. The day they release an album as good as Appetite For Destruction WITHOUT Izzy, then we can have the discussion. So far, the "big three" have released 0 albums without Izzy...

• Like 3

Tbh i think the "big three" terms come from casual fans who see them as the face of GNR at the highest peak, i know AFD era was their greatest era, but at the time were video is rare, no YouTube, and almost everybody hold on to MTV as the only place they can see their favorite foreign musicians, the big three appeared heavily on November Rain video, Elton John Nov Rain, Freddie Mercury tribute, and of course Tokyo DVD. That was their highest peak, and somehow casual fan managed to know that the big three were from original line up, there's new dude on drum and guitar, but at the same time forget how Izzy and Steven looks and importance because they barely see them.

Of course hardcore fans whose browsing daily on forum will dispute "the big three" terms and bitch about who is more important than the other, but for casual/general fans the big three is always the face of GNR, and sometimes it's even down to only Axl and Slash.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hell House said:

i dont go by everyone

i am soryy for you if you do

Not sometimes. GNR IS Axl & Slash period. Especially to casual fans and fans who don't post online. Most don't know Duff nor care if he or Tommy were on bass. 

I can see some readers of let's say, Classic Rock magazine, acknowledging Izzy's importance but not too many imo

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1