PHIL RUDD Has Changed His Mind About AXL ROSE

blackieloveless

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

as i said before each to their own but skill wise my VERY talented musician BFF showed me that Slade was the superior drummer having the pedigree of having being sought out by many bands for his skills. JMO ( and my friends! :) )

But then by that logic, Buckethead and Bumblefoot should be preferred in Guns N' Roses before Slash! Ron Wood was probably bottom of the pile technique wise when The Stones replaced him with Mick Taylor in the mid '70s, yet Ron was chosen because A/ it was quite evident he was a ''Stone'' through and through, and C/ he brought a certain feeling which complemented the band well.

Rock N' Roll bands which possess a certain synergy are not merely composites of various people possessing ''superior skills and techniques'' - quite the reverse if you take in consideration punk; let's face it, there is always some cunt who is better than some other cunt! Rock bands are based upon the combination of elements that can combine well in an organic tapestry. In Rudd's case, he brought a basic groove which is somewhat comparable with what Charlie Watts brings to The Rolling Stones or even what Adler brought to Appetite. It locked in with Cliff Williams' bass and underlay Malcolm's riffs. I find it essential.

Besides, irrespective of the drummer, all of AC/DC's great albums were made with Rudd. You cannot get away from that fact. What are you going to do when you want to listen to 'Highway to Hell' or 'Rosie' or the album Powerage - or even the film Let There Be Rock? You are basically left scratching around AC/DC Live.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

But then by that logic, Buckethead and Bumblefoot should be preferred in Guns N' Roses before Slash! Ron Wood was probably bottom of the pile technique wise when The Stones replaced him with Mick Taylor in the mid '70s, yet Ron was chosen because A/ it was quite evident he was a ''Stone'' through and through, and C/ he brought a certain feeling which complemented the band well.

Rock N' Roll bands which possess a certain synergy are not merely composites of various people possessing ''superior skills and techniques'' - quite the reverse if you take in consideration punk; let's face it, there is always some cunt who is better than some other cunt! Rock bands are based upon the combination of elements that can combine well in an organic tapestry. In Rudd's case, he brought a basic groove which is somewhat comparable with what Charlie Watts brings to The Rolling Stones or even what Adler brought to Appetite. It locked in with Cliff Williams' bass and underlay Malcolm's riffs. I find it essential.

Besides, irrespective of the drummer, all of AC/DC's great albums were made with Rudd. You cannot get away from that fact. What are you going to do when you want to listen to 'Highway to Hell' or 'Rosie' or the album Powerage - or even the film Let There Be Rock? You are basically left scratching around AC/DC Live.

exactly

:headbang:

• 1 month later...
On 2017-02-05 at 2:18 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Excellent post. I think it's also worth noting that who is the best can easily be different than one's favourite. I think that seems to be forgotten a lot when people state near definitive opinions.

Phil Rudd is the best drummer for AC/DC - he played on their most important albums and his laid back style fit the band perfectly and really defined the groove. Personally for me though, Slade is my favourite. I like how the songs sound with him and he was my first AC/DC drummer (and the two disc version of Live was indeed my first AC/DC album).

Phil also totally phoned in the Black Ice tour. Come on Phil, you had one job... Seriously though, he really lazed his way through he sets - skipping fills, omitting his signature snare/crash accents, etc...

You've gotta give credit to the Young boys for always finding a rhythm section that still sounds like AC/DC - different combos along the way. Mark/Phil, Cliff/Phil, Simon/Stevie, Slade/Cliff, etc...

In all its variations, AC/DC had always sounded like AC/DC. I'm not sure I can say the same for all incarnations of Guns N' Roses. :lol:

• Like 2