Timing of Soundcheck???

Has anyone here attended the Soundcheck before a show?  Whether that be lucky enough to get inside the venue, or even just on the outside of the venue and having a listen?  If so, how was it? 

I am wondering if it is done the day before the show, or on the day of the show?  Maybe it varies...

I would like to try to get to it next week when the band is here in Brisbane?  I'm just wondering if it is worth it or not?

Cheers, Scott

9 hours ago, Original said:

For Vegas it was few hours prior.  People were in the house (VIP lounges etc...)

I think the first night Vegas show isn't indicative of what normally happens.  I think was trying to figure out what to do with the throne and maybe even re-checked late after it got there (supposedly it arrived just prior to the show).  

In cincy they soundchecked at 3:00, showtime on the tickets was 6:30.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

You're Crazy? Impossible. The Seeker I guess.

I'm surprised they haven't thought to do a "mash-up" of the 2 songs. 1st verse & chorus of The Seeker then go into You're Crazy. Same tempo, key and similar riff.

In my band aswell as open mic acoustic stuff, I do a mash-up of Dead Flowers/Used To Love Her.

Both pairs of songs easily pair together.

20 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Has anyone here attended the Soundcheck before a show?  Whether that be lucky enough to get inside the venue, or even just on the outside of the venue and having a listen?  If so, how was it? 

I am wondering if it is done the day before the show, or on the day of the show?  Maybe it varies...

I would like to try to get to it next week when the band is here in Brisbane?  I'm just wondering if it is worth it or not?

Cheers, Scott

Hey apparently they were doing soundcheck around an hour ago in Wellington, which would be day of show around 12pm-ish

Generally speaking soundcheck is on the day, assuming they've just come into town crew/band the stage will be set up some time in the early part of the day, with the band doing a soundcheck 2-4hrs before doors open. If the stage is set up in advance of the show day some bands do soundchecks the evening before. I don't know how you would find out, outside of getting hold of the tour managers itinerary or somehow getting in contact with the band and they for whatever reason mentioned they had soundcheck at a certain time. 

Basically, sound check wouldn't be at a set time each day. But you can roughly estimate that If gates open at 6, sound check will be done somewhere around the 2-4pm mark. 

My question is why would you want to hear soundcheck? it's boring as hell... I have a feeling you want to hear snippets of new material, but even then. "duff can you hear, how's your IEM mix?, Slash? you other guys ok" blah, blah, not the most fun part of a show.

• Like 1

Okay thanks guys!  I would just find it interesting to listen to it - not expecting any new music/songs to be heard at all but I have the entire day off work, as well as the day before, so thought it might be fun to get along to it.  I think with a few days in between NZ and this Brisbane show that they could either do the soundcheck on the Monday or on the day of the show. It will be just a matter of taking a chance and turning up???

Thanks again  :-)

8 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Okay thanks guys!  I would just find it interesting to listen to it - not expecting any new music/songs to be heard at all but I have the entire day off work, as well as the day before, so thought it might be fun to get along to it.  I think with a few days in between NZ and this Brisbane show that they could either do the soundcheck on the Monday or on the day of the show. It will be just a matter of taking a chance and turning up???

Thanks again  :-)

I think they almost always do soundcheck day of show (maybe just to stay in rhythm and keep things consistent)?

i stumbled on the soundcheck before Cincinnati as I was driving my crew to check in to our hotel and there was a jam up on the highway, I took a detour that happened to go right by the stadium and they happened to be sound checking at the time and we could hear it (OTGM), so I pulled over and we got out and listened to that and My Michelle while we had a beer and then headed on to our hotel and checked in.

it was cool to catch but I wouldn't make a point or plan to make sure I catch soundchecks again myself. Obviously the only other cool tidbits about this soundcheck is Steven was on drums and we had no idea at the time.

It was all day yesterday at Auckland's show. I live right by the venue, and it's outdoor too, so could see it all underway - plenty of folk turned up and waited outside and could no doubt hear. Dunno what it would.be like at an indoor venue.

Started about 11am for couple hrs, then stopped for couple hours then went on again for a while playing a fair amount, all while the queues were building up outside. I pretty much and GNR, minus Axl, playing all day:)

Full versions of Estranged and Civil War, done multiple times throughout day. Attitude. It's So Easy w/ Duff vox. Bits of Knockin on Heaven's Door.  Night train.

I caught the soundcheck in Nashville it was around 2-3 in the afternoon if i remember correctly. 

They played Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle with Adler (Apparently, we couldn't see from where we were) 

But the greatest part of being there was getting to hear Sorry played through at least 4 times before it was played live. (It wasn't even played at the Nashville show) 

Got some pretty good audio of it: 

Edited by KeyserSoze