Who is the biggest band in the world?

SunnyDRE

15 hours ago, Bono said:

Touring wise it's U2 without a doubt.  Album and single sales and radio play who knows. 

I think biggest band implies biggest  touring band. No band comes close. Coldplay might replace U2 at some point. Strange that no bands have come since GNR and U2 to take their place. No band has filled the vacancy left by GNR.

9 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I think biggest band implies biggest  touring band. No band comes close. Coldplay might replace U2 at some point. Strange that no bands have come since GNR and U2 to take their place. No band has filled the vacancy left by GNR.

Hard to say no band has filled the vacancy of GnR because U2 was just as big a touring draw as GnR back then and arguably even bigger even if the Achtung Baby / Zooropa tour wasn't as long it was ALL stadiums. Also U2 touring the 360 tour blew every tour ever out of the water so I would say U2 has filled that "vacancy" quite well.  Coldplay will never tour the numbers U2 has or does. 

1 hour ago, Bono said:

Hard to say no band has filled the vacancy of GnR because U2 was just as big a touring draw as GnR back then and arguably even bigger even if the Achtung Baby / Zooropa tour wasn't as long it was ALL stadiums. Also U2 touring the 360 tour blew every tour ever out of the water so I would say U2 has filled that "vacancy" quite well.  Coldplay will never tour the numbers U2 has or does. 

The A Head Full Of Dreams tour is currently making more money than the Not In This Lifetime tour.

The thing is you don't really bring grandma and the whole family to see AC/DC and Metallica, but you kinda do with U2 and Coldplay.

-

The biggest selling active band in the US and in the world might be Metallica, Hardwired was top 5 in 110 countries, #1 streaming metal band. I don't see any band with that kind of worship all over the world.

I don't remember MGMT and Kings Of Leon being a thing nowadays, maybe Arctic Monkeys. From overseas Rammstein are definitely the wildest.

Edited by Silent Jay
The Beatles

35 minutes ago, Bono said:

I meant in the pure rock n' roll category. In the vein of the Zeppelin and the Stones. There was no global rock band in that vein in the 90's or 00's. I suppose Pearl Jam are that now. I'm a huge U2 fan and they exist in their own category to me. Coldplay is playing Stadiums in America, which is rare, but Coldplay doesn't have 2-3 musical masterpieces like U2 has in their catalogue. I can't think of a bigger band that came out of the 90's and into the 00's than Coldplay. Again, maybe Pearl Jam.

3 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

We stand in rare agreement here! :lol:

Until they hang it up or die, they will carry this crown.

I would put U2 over the stones because the stones aren't relevant. U2 has continued to released meaningful and relevant music thru out their career.the stones have t had released a good album since 1980.

8 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I would put U2 over the stones because the stones aren't relevant. U2 has continued to released meaningful and relevant music thru out their career.the stones have t had released a good album since 1980.

I liked Voodoo Lounge and Babylon (didn't care for A Bigger Bang).

Just now, The Holographic Universe said:

Do The Stones play songs off those albums live? Have you seen my baby is the only song I remember off Voodoo Lounge and I liked that song.

That song is off Bridges to Babylon.

You Got Me Rocking and Out of Control are regularly played. Mixed Emotions also and occasionally Keith does Slipping Away (both from Steel Wheels).

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

The Stones obviously. MGMT? WTF!? :rofl-lol: Don't mind U2 at all but the rest mentioned are shite. Fucking despise Coldplay. :vomit:

The question wasn't what's the best band around though. The question was what's the biggest band currently and Coldplay is at least the most streamed band out there right now, like it or not.

• Like 1