Sebastian Bach On Recording With Axl: The Record Company Begged Me To Do Two Versions, One With Him, One Without Him

Yahoo Music Interview - Sebastian Bach

February 1, 2017

Sebastian Bach remembers recording his album Angel Down (2007) with Axl Rose in a new interview with Yahoo Music while promoting his autobiography.  

Sebastian: Axl Rose sings three songs on the record with me and the record company...they couldn't believe he was on there. They begged me to do two versions, one with him and one without him. I told them to go F themselves, this is my record. Because they couldn't believe that that could happen, that Axl could sing on the record. They thought they would get sued...Axl does what he wants to do, and he wanted to be on there. And I thank him for singing on my record, for sure, it sounds amazing.  

This was his first appearance, on record for I don't know how many years, 15 years, something like that. I just asked Axl do you want to sing on my record, he goes, when, where, that was it. I know him and there's no big story to it he just came down there, it's in the book, I describe it. When he started singing EQ of his voice is a lot different than mine, and the engineers had to run over and re-do everything, he's just blowing stuff up [laughs]. It was a really great night.

Edited by Funky.Monkey
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Funky.Monkey said:

He doesn't say the record label begged him not to have Axl on his album.  He says they begged him to record two versions, one with Axl and one without.

The record company was so surprised Axl was appearing, they didn't really believe it.  They also worried they would be sued if he appeared.  That's what Sebastian says.

"I told them to go F themselves. This is my record"

34 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Lol, sure Baz... Your record label begged you to not have Axl Rose on your album but you're a bad ass and stood up to them.

I assume the more likely version is that he ran to the label all excited about Axl being on the album and the label was like "Sebastian Bach is signed to our label?? How bout that" 

Ha!

I'd say it had more to do with them thinking "Axl will probably change his mind, and then there'll be two Axl rose records in limbo" Any label would be over the moon to have Axl appear on one of their artists records... even Sebastians ;)

Um, since every instrument and voice is almost always recorded on a single track, why would this be such an issue?  

If Axl caused problems later down the road and demanded the album not be released, they could simply just remix the tracks and remove his vocals.  

There's no need to record anything twice.  

This makes zero sense unless Baz is confusing/conflating recording with mixing and/or he thinks people are dumb and trying to make himself look like a bad ass.  

• Like 3

He never says the record label begged him not to have Axl on the record.  They wanted him to record two versions, one with Axl, one without.  He said no.

Keep in mind this was the first time Axl had made an appearance on an album in 10+ years.  The record company couldn't believe it would happen, they were worried they would be sued.

• Like 1

Angel Down is my favourite record Baz has recorded, I rank it about equally with Slave To The Grind. The Axl songs are pure fucking power, I can't listen to Back In The Saddle or Stuck Inside and not crank them up :headbang:

As for the record company wanting versions without Axl, it kinda makes sense. CD had been super delayed by then and it wouldn't be overly surprising if UMG was less than happy about Axl doing other records before CD.

That's bullshit though because there's a version of Love is a Bitchslap without Axl on it.  It plays over the credits on a season 7 episode of Trailer Park Boys and a few times throughout the episode anytime Bach shows up.  So he DID record versions without, or at least a version of that song.  

6 hours ago, downzy said:

If Axl caused problems later down the road and demanded the album not be released, they could simply just remix the tracks and remove his vocals. 

He probably changed how he sang the song since Axl was going to sing it with him. If he were to sing it alone he would do it differently.

I don't see the issue in this thread. Bach trusted Axl and knew he wouldn't back out later on, the record company weren't convinced and told Bach to record his vocal track without Axl as well - just incase. His response was F off this is my record.

• Like 3