The Oscars 2017 [Nominations]

Nosaj Thing

I feel like La La Land will win, but would also be OK with Fences or Hacksaw Ridge getting the award, but I don't think they will. Moonlight was great for what it was, but found it had little to no replay value.

As for everything else, my picks would be:

Lead Actor: Denzel Washington
Lead Actress: N/A (I've only see Emma and Natalie, so can't comment)
Supporting Actor: Jeff Bridges
Supporting Actress: Viola Davis
Animated Film: Kubo and the Two Strings (I haven't seen My Life as a Zucchini or The Red Turtle, but out of the rest, I think Kubo deserves it over effort alone. Moana and Zootopia were great, but so much more went into Kubo, just in terms of production. But I think Moana will get it due to popularity.)
Directing: Mel Gibson (Hacksaw Ridge)

Don't necessarily care to comment on the rest, though I do have my opinions.

I'm betting BP and Director are going to be split, if La La wins BP, best director is Jenkins and vice versa.

Other assumptions: 

Affleck, Stone, Davis and Ali (though why he's nominated over Ashton Sanders is a mystery for the ages). Presumably The Salesman takes Best Foreign Film but this category is dumpster fire with the inclusion of Toni Erdmann over Elle and The Handmaiden. The theory of late is that documentary is between OJ: Made in America or I Am Not Your Negro but I'll be surprised if 13th doesn't take it, it's the safer choice (it's still a fine film but the other two are masterpieces of the genre).

Wishes: 

Moonlight, Chazelle or Jenkins, Affleck, Huppert, Davis and...I guess Bridges. 

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2017 at 1:39 AM, AxlisOld said:

It is how it worked out. However because of their baseless bitching last year, it now takes away from the accomplishments of the deserving actors this year. But keep crying, Jada, maybe it'll get your husband a nomination. Keep crying, Spike, maybe you'll be relevant again.

I agree with the post generally but Spike Lee is a genius.

9 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

I'm gonna try this:

ACTOR: Casey Affleck
ACTRESS: Meryl Streep
Best Picture: Moonlight
Supporting Actor: Dev Patel
Supporting Actress: Viola Davis
Animated: My Life As A Zucchini
Directing: Damien Chazelle

I would to see Mel Gibson wins it, but that ain't gonna happen.

swap Emma Stone and i'm with ya...

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

swap Emma Stone and i'm with ya...

As a french guy I'd love to see Isabelle Huppert win this thing but I don't know, insiders said that Emma Stone wasn't that amazing and some might think that they have to prove Meryl Streep isn't overrated :D

It's very hard to tell this year. Damien Chazelle is defintely going to win, I mean Whiplash was a masterpiece.

Just now, Silent Jay said:

As a french guy I'd love to see Isabelle Huppert win this thing but I don't know, insiders said that Emma Stone wasn't that amazing and some might think that they have to prove Meryl Streep isn't overrated :D

It's very hard to tell this year. Damien Chazelle is defintely going to win, I mean Whiplash was a masterpiece.

we'll see. if everyone was a shoe-in there'd be no surprises n'est–ce pas?? :)

I know La La Land is probably going to win Best Picture, but I take some comfort in knowing that'll be the movie remembered years from now and references as an artistic achievement. The same can't be said for the bland mess that LLL.

Best Picture: La La Land (should be Moonlight)

Actor: Casey/Denzel (still unclear to me)
Actress: Emma (should be Isabelle)
Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali
Supporting Actress: Viola Davis (should be BA)
Director: Barry Jenkins (based on the assumption that LLL wins BP, if Damien wins this then I think Moonlight will win BP)

On 21/02/2017 at 9:36 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Did you watch it? I'm pretty sure La La Land actually has less singing than Les Mis actually.

I think the difference is that while watching LLL, it felt like the musical numbers were a chore to listen to. There was no charm to the performances, all that was in the cinematography.

On 21/02/2017 at 11:18 PM, Angelica said:

Affleck, Stone, Davis and Ali (though why he's nominated over Ashton Sanders is a mystery for the ages).

The Academy hates young male actors, and adores young female actresses. There's always that "they'll have another shot" mindset with the the young guys.