2006 complete shows

Looking back on 06 you realize how close he was to his 91-93 form. There were shows in 06 that were better from start to finish in terms of vocals than any show in Guns history. 

It sucks that he didn't start work on CD in 06. I think the album would have been vastly different. Instead he released an album that was basically a decade old and were without his best vocals 

On 2/14/2017 at 8:12 PM, IncitingChaos said:

It sucks that he didn't start work on CD in 06. I think the album would have been vastly different. Instead he released an album that was basically a decade old and were without his best vocals 

Axl was laying down vocals as late as January 2007 in Vegas so your statement about his 2006 voice not being represented on the final album isn't true. Also, CD wasn't a decade old by 2006 -- the bulk of what's on CD was recorded from 2000-2004. 

The album still would've been relatively fresh had it came out in '06, but by 2008 it seemed like due to leaks and aging of some of the songs, the album may have felt dated on arrival. If the only thing keeping Axl from releasing it in 06 we're adding Ron and Frank's parts and tweaking vocals, then he should've let those go. 2006 is the last time the band had momentum and a semi-stable lineup that was still on the album.

Edited by GNR 1991

1 minute ago, GNR 1991 said:

Axl was laying down vocals as late as January 2007 in Vegas so your statement about his 2006 voice not being represented on the final album isn't true. Also, CD wasn't a decade old by 2006 -- the bulk of what's on CD was recorded from 2000-2004. 

According to the guy mixing Axl's vocals in 99 the vocals hadn't been changed from the recordings in 99 to release in 08 on a majority of the songs. A large part of CD was finished by 02. 

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

According to the guy mixing Axl's vocals in 99 the vocals hadn't been changed from the recordings in 99 to release in 08 on a majority of the songs. A large part of CD was finished by 02. 

The vocals on the 99 demos (IRS, TWAT and Catcher) are the same as the final album, yes. I don't think songs like Better, Sorry, Shacklers, If The World, and Prostitute were ready or even written by 2002. Perhaps they could've been but it's hard to say. One thing that's true is that songs like Chinese and The Blues definitely weren't ready in 02, as they tinkered on those and added new stuff later on.

43 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

The vocals on the 99 demos (IRS, TWAT and Catcher) are the same as the final album, yes. I don't think songs like Better, Sorry, Shacklers, If The World, and Prostitute were ready or even written by 2002. Perhaps they could've been but it's hard to say. One thing that's true is that songs like Chinese and The Blues definitely weren't ready in 02, as they tinkered on those and added new stuff later on.

I usually base if a song was done or not in a certain year by whos credited on the album notes. Josh Freese is credited for drum arrangement, and the first producer that worked on CD is also credited for initial production on either the song, or Axl's vox, so i think its a safe bet that the base of Prostitute was finished in 99, then Buckethaed came in in 2000 and did his parts for it possibly.

I think If the World also has the initial production credits by the first producer as well

Chinese is pretty much the same song as 2002. They kept them same drums since at least 2002 (as shown in the 2002 promos for the Boston show) up until Frank replaced him with his (imo boring) drums in 2007 (even though the Antiquiet leaks that were in 08 still had Brains drums, and no BBF).

36 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Axl could've recorded his best vocal takes and that wouldn't have improved the songs.

This is true, which is why I wish he would have written material starting in 06. Different mind, what's popular "now" versus "then", I think Axl could have come up with something different than what we got with CD. 

On 2/6/2017 at 9:06 PM, Mooch14 said:

I might have to dig out some of the old videos from my '06 Worcester MA show. I know there was some technical difficulties that night, but I remember how badass Axl sounded that night.  

Dude you catch down on the farm? I was SO PUMPED to hear it that night.