when you took everything from me

sorry guys, but I never understood this line. And I really want to. When Estranged comes on and I get into it, this line has always been some kinda party pooper for me. I don't get it. I wanna get it and enjoy the song more. How do you interpret this line?

I know the song is about separated or estranged or divorced couples. But then again, how does it work for Axl?

first of all, Axl and Erin didn't divorce. Their marriage was annulled / cancelled. So Axl didn't give her half his shit.

Axl said it himself in late 80s interviews - even tho he was married or in a relationship with Erin, it didnt stop him from fuckin around with other chicks.

Axl wasnt as big of a party animal as GNR were made to be, but that's bikoz he took care of his voice, not bikoz Erin wanted him to.

Erin miscarried bikoz Axl beat her up, so Erin didn't take the baby away from Axl.

So what's up with that? Is it whining for whining's sake?

1 hour ago, whatashame said:

sorry guys, but I never understood this line. And I really want to. When Estranged comes on and I get into it, this line has always been some kinda party pooper for me. I don't get it. I wanna get it and enjoy the song more. How do you interpret this line?

I know the song is about separated or estranged or divorced couples. But then again, how does it work for Axl?

first of all, Axl and Erin didn't divorce. Their marriage was annulled / cancelled. So Axl didn't give her half his shit.

Axl said it himself in late 80s interviews - even tho he was married or in a relationship with Erin, it didnt stop him from fuckin around with other chicks.

Axl wasnt as big of a party animal as GNR were made to be, but that's bikoz he took care of his voice, not bikoz Erin wanted him to.

Erin miscarried bikoz Axl beat her up, so Erin didn't take the baby away from Axl.

took everything for me is took away all his emotions, his love.. the things that truly matter :)

3 minutes ago, Original said:

Another top 5 GnR song in my book.  That lyric/line is probably a combo with everything being emotions and it just worked/made sense to use. 

yes! exactly. i posted my post before i read this and said basically the exact same thing :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, whatashame said:

"Bikoz"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

Yeah, I don't think he's talking about physical property there. He's talking about everything that she meant to him. You know all the dreams about a future together, all the fun they had together. Sometimes when you're in love, the other person becomes your everything. The other person almost becomes the purpose of your life. So if she leaves you, you end up with nothing, emotionally speaking. Even if you still own a whole lot of physical property. But those things are meaningless, if you've lost the purpose of your life.

Yeah, that's what happened when Slash left :P

• Like 4

13 hours ago, whatashame said:

Introducing the song in Rio 1991 Axl says the song is about Erin

Introducing the song a few months later in USA Tour 1991 Axl said that he was happy (or something like that) on being "Estranged"

People ask some fuckin' stupid questions...'but she didn't take half his shit' :lol:  Thats sort of like saying 'i don't understand Iggys lyrics, he's not a Cheetah and how can you have a heartful of napalm, wouldn't that kill you?  Confusion reigns' :lol:

12 hours ago, J Dog said:

I always liked that part and the part about, well I jumped into the river

Your chilled out whimsical southern soul is showing :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Your chilled out whimsical southern soul is showing :lol:

Bah! Can't help it. Jumping into the river, meeting old cowboys, places where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. It speaks to me homie!

• Like 1