Gene Simmons: "We never 'Axl Rose' our way out of anything"

11 hours ago, auad said:

Gene and Kiss deserve all the respect ... I will not even consider the merits of his issues with Axl ...
But in terms of business, production of material ... Kiss goes far beyond GNR ...

But in terms of music -- where it actually counts -- not so much for KISS.

KISS is the epitome of a cash grab band that makes all their $$ off a gimmick and selling toys.

Unlike GN'R they can't stand on the merit of impactful music.

53 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Kiss is #1 American band in gold record sales, they sold more than 100m albums worldwide.

Edited by Silent Jay

Gene Simmons had also said (along the lines) that Axl deserved to be beaten as a kid and it that it was a shame that the beating couldn't continue when he was an adult.

Anyway, I wouldn't go to a KISS show even if it was for free, so I couldn't care less about their punctuality and work ethics.

The Budweiser commercial was degrading; another indication, besides Pitman's lawsuit, that Axl (the GnR business, more accurately) had financial problems.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Gene Simmons had also said (along the lines) that Axl deserved to be beaten as a kid and it that it was a shame that the beating couldn't continue when he was an adult.

Anyway, I wouldn't go to a KISS show even if it was for free, so I couldn't care less about their punctuality and work ethics.

The Budweiser commercial was degrading; another indication, besides Pitman's lawsuit, that Axl (the GnR business, more accurately) had financial problems.

I saw the Bud commercial more as a signal that it was reunion time. Axl probably said to Slash when it's time I'll put Bud sign up. Until then we are at W. A.R.!!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, J Dog said:

Even though I'm with you on the Bud commercial and the doll thing, Axl has a loooooong way to go before catching Gene and KISS.

No. We also await the joys of a Guns N' Roses condom. I still wouldn't say Rose is now a million miles off Kiss.

One thing about Kiss is they do put out things the fans want like archival stuff, e.g. the Kissologies and outtakes boxset - and of course they released two albums in a fairly short span of time. Not everything they put out is worthless tat like coffins and condoms. A lot of it is, but not everything.

5 hours ago, thunderram said:

KISS is the epitome of a cash grab band that makes all their $$ off a gimmick and selling toys.

Just subjective.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

No. We also await the joys of a Guns N' Roses condom. I still wouldn't say Rose is now a million miles off Kiss.

One thing about Kiss is they do put out things the fans want like archival stuff, e.g. the Kissologies and outtakes boxset - and of course they released two albums in a fairly short span of time. Not everything they put out is worthless tat like coffins and condoms. A lot of it is, but not everything.

Just subjective.

Musically Kiss are only slightly better than Ratt. And Gene kicked Ace out and his solo covers album is better than anything Kiss have done. 

58 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just subjective.

I enjoyed the Scooby Doo DVD, they should have done that instead of running around an amusement park back in the 70s. 

The only thing I didn't like about KISSology was how each store would have a different "exclusive" DVD.

The box set was padded with hits and album cuts, they should have released the Wicked Lester album, the 3 Killers songs and the other "new" songs they put on from the other greatest hits packages. Maybe the solo albums being released as a single disc would have been cool. I felt the same way about Bonfire....we REALLY needed another Back in Black?? 

I like box sets to have all the b-sides, single edit versions, demos, 12" mixes, etc. 

KISS did sell a lot of product in the 90s but they're like any band on the road. When Elton plays Vegas, he has way more crap for sale than KISS does at their shows. It's been 20 years since I saw KISS crap at stores like Spencers. 

Guns N Roses sold "vintage style" t-shirts,  ornaments, foam middle fingers, bracelets, water bottles, beach blankets, onesies, underwear. 

I never got why people get so bothered about Gene and his merch thing, if someone comes up to you and says "we gonna give you a shit ton of money if you give us your face to make a cartoon movie or some dolls, you want?". I get what he tried to say but he is a cunt, in the 80's he left Paul alone to do all the production on KISS albums to try be some movie star, his songs were pure shit and now he says stuff like this. Someone said he still bashes Ace and Peter for being addicteds, I love Peter and Ace but I agree with Gene, they fucked everything up for the band and for themselves, they don't drink or do coke anymore but once a junkie always a junkie

38 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

I never got why people get so bothered about Gene and his merch thing, if someone comes up to you and says "we gonna give you a shit ton of money if you give us your face to make a cartoon movie or some dolls, you want?". I get what he tried to say but he is a cunt, in the 80's he left Paul alone to do all the production on KISS albums to try be some movie star, his songs were pure shit and now he says stuff like this. Someone said he still bashes Ace and Peter for being addicteds, I love Peter and Ace but I agree with Gene, they fucked everything up for the band and for themselves, they don't drink or do coke anymore but once a junkie always a junkie

Personally I don't bash Gene for being an astute businessman and creatively marketing this band and brand to maximize the anount of money they rake in.

My critique of Gene is that he's a fucking dick.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

How exactly is Gene a poser?

Perhaps I used the wrong word, but in this context I meant a drama queen, someone with an ego larger than life, extremely arrogant... If you've seen the show I'm sure you know what I mean.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Perhaps I used the wrong word, but in this context I meant a drama queen, someone with an ego larger than life, extremely arrogant... If you've seen the show I'm sure you know what I mean.

Oh well yah, I no doubt agree with all that.  100%

41 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Personally I don't bash Gene for being an astute businessman and creatively marketing this band and brand to maximize the anount of money they rake in.

My critique of Gene is that he's a fucking dick.

This. But the dude is a vital part of KISS. He plays his role on stage

• Like 1

Okay I was re-thinking about this and not that I would say they pulled an Axl, but Gene and Paul fired Ace and Peter for drugs and drinking, so how is that different from Axl firing Steven and the other members leaving?

Also, when Kiss is not together, neither are Paul and Gene. They don't hang out together. Paul wasn't even on Gene's show except for his 60th birthday party.

I'm just sick of people bringing up Axl's name for their own way of making them seem better.

Gene needs to take care of his own shit. I think many musicians are jealous now that Slash and Duff are back with Axl and the fans are very happy about it.

Really, your band never pulls an Axl? Replacing members who copy the style of past members, such as Ashba? Live keyboardists to "enhance the sound" which are hidden behind the stage? 

And well, Gene, your buddy Paul sure knows how to replicate how Axl phones in important performances... :rofl-lol:

10 hours ago, thunderram said:

Kiss wrote much more classics than GN'R. Strutter, Black Diamond, Detroit Rock City, Love Gun, Dr. Love, Rock N Roll All Nite, Shout It Out Loud the list goes on and on. They've been very prolific as a band with more than fifteen platinum albums from 1974 to 1992 (minus The Elder).

Does Kiss still matter? That's a good question, but you can't deny their major influence on music and new bands for decades already whereas Guns N' Roses hasn't influenced many modern rock bands.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Really, your band never pulls an Axl? Replacing members who copy the style of past members, such as Ashba? Live keyboardists to "enhance the sound" which are hidden behind the stage? 

And well, Gene, your buddy Paul sure knows how to replicate how Axl phones in important performances... :rofl-lol:

Paul Stanley had major throat surgery in 2012. 

5 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Guns N' Roses hasn't influenced many modern rock bands.

This is just a false statement.

1 minute ago, Silent Jay said:

Paul Stanley had major throat surgery in 2012. 

Yeah people say the same shit about Axl. Even if he did, performing live like that is a disgrace. Even then, I've seen 2016 videos of Strutter which are even worse...