Ask Staff Anything!

downzy

As I am a nosy person, I was curious to know what is Downzy's name.

For security reasons, we don't reveal people's real name. Plus, what good would it do you?

It won't do me any good, but well I just like to know about people.

Are you happy with GNR in 2016? Or were you guys really hoping for CD2 instead?

Who says they're mutually exclusive proportions?

I'm still a believer that we'll get a new album this year based solely on the amount of work I heard was being put into it last year.

I'm still a believer that we'll get a new album this year based solely on the amount of work I heard was being put into it last year.

I don't know, man. It seems unlikely with Slash returning and all... I think lots of work were put in the album every year but it never meant a release would happen. But the question was more personal, are you happy with the last news? How do you feel about it? Let's share out reactions :) (actually, my idea was to create a thread similar to this, more personal, you think that could work?)

I don't know, man. It seems unlikely with Slash returning and all... I think lots of work were put in the album every year but it never meant a release would happen. But the question was more personal, are you happy with the last news? How do you feel about it? Let's share out reactions :) (actually, my idea was to create a thread similar to this, more personal, you think that could work?)

Sure, plans might have changed. They usually do in GNRland. But I can tell you without any reservation that as of July 2015, there was a specific goal and gameplan to release a new album in 2016. I'm unsure whether such specific intentions existed previously with respect to a timeline or objective.

As for my own reaction, I'm pretty thrilled if true (let's keep in mind that nothing has been officially confirmed, though I think we can all read between the lines at this point).

Unlike some, I don't see a reunion tour hurting our chances of getting a new album, so hence why perhaps I'm bullish on what's to come for 2016. My only disappointment is that I'm not sure whether I'll be able to go to Coachella to see the first show. With the Canadian dollar at record lows versus the U.S. dollar, it would cost me $2500 - $3000 to go. That's a lot of money, and not sure if I can afford it if a summer tour is in the works (if it turns out that Coachella is it for a reunion, I'm going, even if I have to spend $5k).

I've said for a few years now that if Axl is less interested in publishing new material and touring old hits, he should just patch things up with some of the classic members and make a boat load of money. The fans want it, his financial planner wants it, might as well go with the flow. I get the whole not wanting to be associated with someone who you feel has repeatedly stabbed you in the back, but it's been so long that I'm sure issues could be resolved close enough to make a reunion happen. I always bought into and supported Axl's vision of GNR when the drive seemed to be publishing and promoting new music. Always felt Axl provided the vision for the band; so long as he was singing and orchestrating the direction I was fine with an album without the presence of Slash/Duff/Izzy being called a Guns N' Roses album. But personally, it felt as though the past few years have been the opposite of that initial drive and vision; that we were getting greatest hits tours. I didn't see much point in a greatest hits tour performed by a band that was largely absent the key players.

So yes, I'm extremely excited for the alleged reunion and possible tour. I've had numerous friends call and text me asking about what's happening. They've all expressed a desire to see a reunited GNR band should they play Toronto; that wouldn't happen if it were Axl and the lineup he's being touring for the past few years. Much like fans of Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin, if you've been a fan of Guns N' Roses from the beginning (or since their peak) I don't see how you're not thrilled with seeing Axl and Slash share a stage together. The possibility of Axl playing the piano with Slash standing on top whaling away at the November Rain outro has to get every 30+ year old GNR fan excited.

• Like 1

An announcement will be made later today that will update everyone about the recent service disruptions and the plan to minimize/eliminate them going forward.

Until things calm down a bit we have to leave the forum in performance mode.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience, support, and understanding as we get matters resolved.

Thanks!

• Like 4

Ads are back?

For the mobile platform, yes (they've always existed for the desktop platform). We need to invest in better infrastructure so we need the money from somewhere.

Efforts are underway to remove all ads for Club Members when we launch the Members Club later this week.

I see you guys mentioned being on shared hosting? Any plan to move to dedicated or even cloud based hosting?

Right now the site is "fully hosted" with Invision - the same people who make the forum software. There is access to the forum's admin panel and FTP access to the server - but no access to cPanel, php, mysql, etc. All the server configuration and maintenance is included in the hosting costs.

It's highly advantageous from a support perspective, but it's not very cost effective. You can see their plans here if you are interested (there isn't much detail - it's all based on the number of users you have online): https://www.invisionpower.com/buy/cloud

For what downzy is currently paying, you could probably get an entry-level dedicated server - but a self-hosted environment would be considerably more challenging than the current arrangement from a technical perspective. It's not something to enter into lightly (and could ultimately result in even more downtime than we have now).

Best case scenario in the short term is that Invision migrate the site to more powerful/reliable hardware within their network. It's in their interests to do so as we are probably causing downtime for other customers at the moment.

• Like 4