If u could go into a time capsule...

gt72

And see any bands over the years that you've never seen live who would it be ?For me it would Led Zeppelin ,the Doors ,jimi Hendrix and Nirvana .I had tickets to see Nirvana with RHCP and Pearl Jam but caught the flu the day before the show .

• Like 1

If you went into a time capsule you would suffocate, time capsules are those things they make you bury in primary school with contemporary artifacts like dildos and kinder surprise.  If i had a time machine I'd probably ignore seeing bands altogether.  I remember reading this short story once many moons ago and basically this guy times travels back to like...fuckin' pre-historic times or whatever and there's jackshit there...anyway he's walking in this vast wasteland and kick this plant and uproots it and then when he goes back to where he came from, back to his present, the world has been changed beyond all recognition, the idea being that that plant was like...one of the formative stages of evolution that he had gone and disrupted and it had disturbed the chain of events that led to the world being the world we know today, i thought that was pretty cool.  Made me think though, if such a thing as time travel were possible it'd be dangerous as fuck.  I could've reached that same conclusion watching Back to the Future really eh? :lol:

Or I could just stop being a cunt and answer the question!  So yeah, uhm, The Stooges, definitely The Stooges.  The Sex Pistols at The Roxy.  The Who Live at Leeds.  Sid Vicious at Maxs.  The New York Dolls at Maxs.  The Ramones at CBGBs.  Leadbelly sittin' on a haystac...oh oh, Robert Johnson, I'd go see Robert Johnson!!  Hmmm...Sun Ra, now that'd be a unique kind of headache!  Oh, PiL live at The Ritz, the NY one with the riot!  That gig at the Bataclan where the terrorists attacked only armed with an M16, a teflon vest and a bulletproof helmet.  Jimi Hendrix, Jimi everywhere, I'd follow Jimi on the road until he died.  Maybe pop into the pub on the night and go 'errr Jim, you don't wanna be mixing wine with beer like that Jim, especially with them sleeping pills you've had, it won't end well.  And try sleeping on your side tonight, yeah?  Nice one!'.  Oh The Beatles, how could i forget The Beatles!  Charlie Parker, whoo hooo!  Coltrane I'd go see also!  The Germs...Woody Guthrie...Cream...oh oh OH!  Of course, James Brown Live at the Apollo!!!!  Every fucking show!  Little Richard I'd go see, Elvis at the Louisiana Hayride, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis live at The Star Club in Hamburg, Hank Williams...I'm gonna stop now or this list will go on forever and I plan to maybe have children some day or serve in the Peace Corps.

1. Follow the  Rolling Stones 1969 US tour and would bring one of the new digital recorders back in time to record all the shows so we would have good bootlegs for posterity.

2.  Jimi Hendrix  4- 1969/70 Fillmore East Band of Gypsy's shows

3- Allman Brothers Fillmore East concert run

4- Allman Brothers 5 hour Fillmore East closing concert

5-  Original Woodstock just for the experience

6- First Guns N Roses show having a cocktail  with Marc Canter

7- Humble Pie Fillmore East Concerts

8- The Doors Hollywood Bowl concert

9- Johnny Winter And 1970 Fillmore East concerts

10- Led Zeppelin 5 hour 1969 Boston Tea Party concert

11- Pink Floyd 1977 MSG NYC concerts

I could go on and on.........

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

5 hours?!?!  What, continuous, fuckin' hell!

Legend has it the show ended at dawn and the punters were so dazed they did not ask for an encore and just stumbled out into the hazy NYC morning......Promoter Bill Graham was quoted as saying it was the greatest musical event he ever witnessed which is saying something...sadly no tape of the event has ever surfaced

12 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Legend has it the show ended at dawn and the punters were so dazed they did not ask for an encore and just stumbled out into the hazy NYC morning......Promoter Bill Graham was quoted as saying it was the greatest musical event he ever witnessed which is saying something...sadly no tape of the event has ever surfaced

Audio or video?  I gotta know what a 5 hour gig sounds like!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I actually didn't think Live at the Filmore and the live section of Eat a Peach was long enough.

I would get audio and video of The Who's Leeds concert. And The Rolling Stones for Get Yer Ya's Out. I basically want to capture all the great bands in their prime. 

8 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I actually didn't think Live at the Filmore and the live section of Eat a Peach was long enough.

I would get audio and video of The Who's Leeds concert. And The Rolling Stones for Get Yer Ya's Out. I basically want to capture all the great bands in their prime. 

There already is audio and video of Leeds gig.  Its out there too.

Thats a clip but the whole things out there too.

Edited by Len Cnut

36 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The Allman Brothers were a jam band so you most likely had a bunch of 30-40 minute long improve jams mixed in  like "Mountain Jam",  " Whipping Post" and "You Don't Love Me" which I think are brilliant but not everyones cup of tea.

The final Fillmore East concert 70 minute show from June 27th 1971 the night after was pro  audio recorded and released officially  but to date no audio or video of the previous night June 26th 5 hour marathon concert has surfaced. 

It was a Bill Graham  private by invite only concert so maybe that is the reason we don't have a recording.

It is an Allman Brothers fan holy grail concert recording....

6 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

The Allman Brothers were a jam band so you most likely had a bunch of 30-40 minute long improve jams mixed in  like "Mountain Jam",  " Whipping Post" and "You Don't Love Me" which I think are brilliant but not everyones cup of tea.

The final Fillmore East concert 70 minute show from June 27th 1971 the night after was pro  audio recorded and released officially  but to date no audio or video of the previous night June 26th 5 hour marathon concert has surfaced. 

It was a Bill Graham  private by invite only concert so maybe that is the reason we don't have a recording.

It is an Allman Brothers fan holy grail concert recording....

Ive heard live at filmore east, remember it being really good.

25 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

They released a 6CD set of the complete March 12th, and 13th first and second shows shows that made up the Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East 2lp release so you get 4 complete shows from that run and a 6th CD of the  the complete June 27th Fillmore show from the Fillmore closing concerts which was only 70+ minutes long. There was a show on March 11th but no tape exists of this show as the Allmans added horns to the band and Tom Dowd who produced the Fillmore live album hated the horns and rumour has it he taped over the show from the 11th.

As far as the Who Live at Leeds, Townsend released the full show on CD years ago  but screwed it up by separating out the Tommy suite  so the show was not in sequence. This really pissed off Who fans and Townsend took a rash of abuse because of it. They recently released the whole concert on 3 vinyl LP',s with the songs back in the correct order, and it sounds fantastic but not sure they did the same on CD. In any case there is a fantastic pro recorded bootleg of the complete show in the correct order out there as well.

Did not know they had video of the show Lenny so thanks for sharing. Would love to see this officially released.

12 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

They released a 6CD set of the complete March 12th, and 13th first and second shows shows that made up the Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East 2lp release so you get 4 complete shows from that run and a 6th CD of the  the complete June 27th Fillmore show from the Fillmore closing concerts which was only 70+ minutes long. There was a show on March 11th but no tape exists of this show as the Allmans added horns to the band and Tom Dowd who produced the Fillmore live album hated the horns and rumour has it he taped over the show from the 11th.

As far as the Who Live at Leeds, Townsend released the full show on CD years ago  but screwed it up by separating out the Tommy suite  so the show was not in sequence. This really pissed off Who fans and Townsend took a rash of abuse because of it. They recently released the whole concert on 3 vinyl LP',s with the songs back in the correct order, and it sounds fantastic but not sure they did the same on CD. In any case there is a fantastic pro recorded bootleg of the complete show in the correct order out there as well.

Did not know they had video of the show Lenny so thanks for sharing. Would love to see this officially released.

It is officially released, its like a bonus with something, I'm not sure what but i used to have it on DVD, i think, maybe but don't quote me, it was like a bonus on the fuckin' DVD of that one...oh whats it called now, my memory is fucked, y'know the show, the famous one, where Moonies looking a bit peaked, i think it's at Shepperton Studios or some famous studio in London.  Oh yeah it was for The Kids Are Alright i think, around that time.  This gig:

Kyuss- Seeing them play in the desert at one of those infamous generator parties would be an experience, might have to drop some acid for that one.

GNR- Original line up preferably around 87-89, the Ritz was apparently a real off night for them and it's still fucking great so would love to see them firing on all cylinders.

Black Sabbath- Paris 1970, nuff said

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

CSNY used to play for four hours ish.

On the subject of Woodstock, it was a fairly crap concert really apart from The 'Oo and Ten Years After. Most of the acts were stoned and sloppy. Most of the crowd had buggered off when Jimi did Star Spangled Banner.

I disagree that it was a farily crappy festival as many of the bands played great sets including Johnn Winter, Canned Heat, The Who, Santana, Mountain, Sly Stone etc.......even Hendrix's set had it's highlights

Were there bad sets?, sure, but there was fine music performed that August weekend including the first day set of Ritchie Havens.........other than some crappy weather it was a once in a lifetime experience..........

Would also go back for the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival as many of the same acts played and the Allman Brothrs played two days there...There is a proshot video of their sets in private hands that hopefully will see the light of day some day

Edited by classicrawker

Just now, classicrawker said:

I disagree it was a farily crappy festival as many of the bands played great sets including Johnn Winter, Canned Heat, The Who, Santana, Mountain, Sly Stone etc.......even Hendrix's set had it's highlights

Were there bad sets?, sure, but there was fine music performed that August weekend and other than some crappy weather it was a once in a lifetime experience..........

The Hendrix performance was well below his usual standard.: an experiment with a big band who had never played together before plus tuning problems and rumours of him being stoned (as the water was spiked with LSD). Only the finale, Star Spangled Banner/Purple Haze and Voodoo Chile were impressive (a fairly decent work-in-progress Izabella as I recall also). Few people remained to witness Jimi as he did not appear until early in the morning, a day late! Most people had buggered off. 

The best filmed concerts of Jimi's are Monterey, Berkeley and the Royal Albert bootleg - albeit the latter two suffer from eccentric editing. Atlanta is decent. Isle of Wight has tuning problems and Jimi's heart was not in it (superb 'Watchtower' though).

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Hendrix performance was well below his usual standard.: an experiment with a big band who had never played together before plus tuning problems and rumours of him being stoned (as the water was spiked with LSD). Only the finale, Star Spangled Banner/Purple Haze and Voodoo Chile were impressive (a fairly decent work-in-progress Izabella as I recall also). Few people remained to witness Jimi as he did not appear until early in the morning, a day late! Most people had buggered off. 

The best filmed concerts of Jimi's are Monterey, Berkeley and the Royal Albert bootleg - albeit the latter two suffer from eccentric editing. Atlanta is decent. Isle of Wight has tuning problems and Jimi's heart was not in it (superb 'Watchtower' though).

Like I said Jimi's set had some highlights and was not as bad as you claim IMHO I have boots of worse performances by him...............back to the point I disagree with your opinion that it was a crappy fesitval and most of the performances were subpar..........

One of the the best filmed proshot video boots of Jimi is playing Sweden Konserthuset in 1969 although the performancess were not his best......The Band of Gypsys video from one of  his Fillmore concerts is also very good although only a one camera shoot.........The recent documentary "Hear My Train a Coming" also has some amazing bonus proshot footage never released before...not complete concerts but amazng none the less............

MIAMI POP FESTIVAL: 5.1 Stereo

Never before released color film footage of the group's legendary May 18, 1968 festival performance, including "Foxey Lady," "Tax Free," and "Fire" together with interviews with festival promoter Michael Lang and engineer Eddie Kramer. 

NEW YORK POP FESTIVAL: 5.1 Stereo

Never before released color film footage of the group s July 17, 1970 festival performance, including "Message To Love," "Lover Man," "All Along The Watchtower," "Purple Haze," and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)."

LOVE & PEACE FESTIVAL: Official 'Bootleg'

Newly discovered archival film footage of the final performance by the Jimi Hendrix Experience on September 6, 1970 at the Isle Of Fehmarn, Germany. Includes "Killing Floor," "Spanish Castle Magic," "All Along The Watchtower" and "Foxey Lady" and an amateur soundtrack recording recorded by the festival promoters using stage microphones. 

TOP OF THE POPS:

View the March 30, 1967 appearance featuring the group performing "Purple Haze"

Edited by classicrawker