Slash's current "Rocket Queen" Solo

Hi guys,

I'm usually not posting a lot, but I wanted to ask you about your opinion. 

In the first few shows of last year Slash started doing his talkbox thing after Richard's solo. Then after 1-2 minutes he left the talkbox and did another solo without the talkbox. When I heard it last year, I was like: Wow, this is amazing. It was fantastic. Have a look here, if you don't remember:

But now he's sadly just doing his talkbox thing and then he goes back, grabs his bottle-neck and ends the whole thing, which is really disappointing for me. 

What do you think about that? I prefered the first version of Slash's solo to be honest. The talkbox thing is nice, but not for the whole solo. It's not powerful enough in my opinion.

However, when I was watching clips of Sydney from last night I saw that Slash didn't use the talkbox. Maybe he's going back to the old direction now. Would be nice.

Of course guys, I know, I'm complaining on a high level, but I would like to hear your opinion.

Edited by blackmore

23 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't like the way this band does the whole Rocket Queen solo/Jam.. The whole thing is just off and it is a shame.. First you have to sit through the Fortus solo that is totally out of whack with the vibe and feel of the song and then the rest is lackluster. I wish they would do it like the way Slash's band did it.  Maybe not as long but more in that vein. 

See I dont know...I'm kind of in the 1% who likes Fortus on Rocket Queen. I find it kind of refreshing after 30 years of the same song. I never liked it was SMK, too long for my tastes. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I find it kind of refreshing after 30 years of the same song. I never liked it was SMK, too long for my tastes. 

I understand how it could be too long for some peoples tastes. At times it went on for 30 minutes (which I LOVED) but I wouldn't say it was the same song every time.  Slash's Rocket Queen solo with the Conspirators was different every night. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, blackmore said:

I think with the current backing band Slash doesn't have enough freedom to improvise - do you agree?

To me based on my observations it isn't necessarily due to the literal members of the band backing Slash, but rather the arrangements they chose and probably what they decided on.  The Rocket Queen solo is that way because they discussed it beforehand so everyone is on the same page.

I've never liked the long solos/eight minute guitar jams from any band. Once it gets past five minutes of instrumental music, it starts to get boring. That said, I actually do like the solo spot on Rocket Queen. And is it just me or is Slash's talk box a bit quiet in the live mix? I could barely hear it when I was at the Chicago show.

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't like the way this band does the whole Rocket Queen solo/Jam.. The whole thing is just off and it is a shame.. First you have to sit through the Fortus solo that is totally out of whack with the vibe and feel of the song and then the rest is lackluster. I wish they would do it like the way Slash's band did it.  Maybe not as long but more in that vein. 

everytime i listen to this nonsense guns n aliens tour i get to the same conclusion: it is unlistenable

the other day i listened to a live version of nightrain and it was just disgusting

i have no idea how people can listen (and actually appreciate) these speedy shitty versions of the best songs ever written

I do like the solos both from this version and SMKC. With that being said, I love this song due to the LAST three minutes. The last three minutes of Axl's singing, lyrics, Slash's guitar, and drums are THE BEST and very heartwarming. It's probably one of the most beautiful piece of music that  has been written. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

everytime i listen to this nonsense guns n aliens tour i get to the same conclusion: it is unlistenable

the other day i listened to a live version of nightrain and it was just disgusting

i have no idea how people can listen (and actually appreciate) these speedy shitty versions of the best songs ever written

I attended 3 shows and thought they were amazing, these are a few tunes from the gigs I saw

ISE from Vegas 2

Nightrain in Detroit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSxv85c_GgE

Jungle from Chicago 3

Edited by ZoSoRose

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I understand how it could be too long for some peoples tastes. At times it went on for 30 minutes (which I LOVED) but I wouldn't say it was the same song every time.  Slash's Rocket Queen solo with the Conspirators was different every night. 

No, it was definitely different every night. Even as someone who loves and plays guitar and doesn't mind instrumentals, Rocket Queen's SMK jam was just...too much for me. Me and my friends were watching a DVD (I know it's not the same thing as being there) and we were just losing it with how boring it was. To each his own.

7 hours ago, blackmore said:

I think with the current backing band Slash doesn't have enough freedom to improvise - do you agree?

I think the band could, but since it's not Slash solo band anymore, it's a unanimous decision to make the jam much shorter. As much as I don't like Franks drumming on RQ, he does hold a steady beat.

I think they both (if they keep Fortus's solo) need to do the chords that SMKC's rhythm guitarist did throughout it (which is the chords Slash does in the intro of RQ) when they are playing rhythm, because when you solo over a chord progression, it usually results in a far more interesting solo for everyone than soloing over, for example, an F# chord "progression" (so both Fortus' and Slash's solos would result in more interesting solos)

18 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

And is it just me or is Slash's talk box a bit quiet in the live mix? I could barely hear it when I was at the Chicago show.

Yes it is sometimes.. Depending on what effects Fortus uses sometimes his volume shoots up and drowns Slash out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I attended 3 shows and thought they were amazing, these are a few tunes from the gigs I saw

ISE from Vegas 2

Nightrain in Detroit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSxv85c_GgE

Jungle from Chicago 3

good for you man

the only possible explanation that i can come up to for you to be able to enjoy this nonsense is that you were probably not old enough to enjoy GNR 1987-1991

you likely got into GNR a bit later. most likely during the 1992 circus era of UYI tour (which was just as much bizarre as this current nonsense, but at least axl could sing back then) or maybe you just got into GNR during the axl solo years 1996-2015

and then its no wonder that this nonsese sounds good to you. cause this is basically axl aliens show with slash and duff making it sound a bit less horrible  

===

i just hope that someday we can have GNR back 

then you will be able to see for yourself that this nonsense has nothing to do musically with GNR

On 2017-02-11 at 10:28 PM, ludurigan said:

58 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

good for you man

the only possible explanation that i can come up to for you to be able to enjoy this nonsense is that you were probably not old enough to enjoy GNR 1987-1991

you likely got into GNR a bit later. most likely during the 1992 circus era of UYI tour (which was just as much bizarre as this current nonsense, but at least axl could sing back then) or maybe you just got into GNR during the axl solo years 1996-2015

and then its no wonder that this nonsese sounds good to you. cause this is basically axl aliens show with slash and duff making it sound a bit less horrible  

===

then you will be able to see for yourself that this nonsense has nothing to do musically with GNR

Is it okay to give this guy some sort of award for worst poster of the year even though it's only February?

Edited by youngswedishvinyl
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

good for you man

===

Wow, this is one of the most pretentious comments I have seen online in a long time. It blows me away the amount of people that come on here just to bitch. And don't bother me with how it used to be. Yes, they were lightning in a bottle when they hit the scene and it's now 30 years later and things have changed. I don't have a problem if it's not for you right now but to look down your nose on anyone, especially when you are assuming a bunch about when said poster hit the "scene" and happens to enjoy what is happening now makes you sound like a dick. It's music! It's fun and it's completely different for everyone. Looking down on someone for enjoying the current moment makes you look like the beat down. Quit hating and move along. Hopefully you will find something different or things will change in the future to suit your musical needs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Drewdown said:

Wow, this is one of the most pretentious comments I have seen online in a long time. It blows me away the amount of people that come on here just to bitch. And don't bother me with how it used to be. Yes, they were lightning in a bottle when they hit the scene and it's now 30 years later and things have changed. I don't have a problem if it's not for you right now but to look down your nose on anyone, especially when you are assuming a bunch about when said poster hit the "scene" and happens to enjoy what is happening now makes you sound like a dick. It's music! It's fun and it's completely different for everyone. Looking down on someone for enjoying the current moment makes you look like the beat down. Quit hating and move along. Hopefully you will find something different or things will change in the future to suit your musical needs. 

Wow, this is one of the most useful comments I have seen online in a long time!

It blows me away the amount of people that cant stand a different opinion!

These days you have a different opinion and you are a "hater" (:rofl-lol:) and " you came here just to bitch" (:rofl-lol:)

I am here talking about my favorite band ever and right now my favorite band ever doesnt really exist in my opinion. Because there are four aliens on it making it unlistenable. @ZoSoRose replied to me and I replied to him. We have opposite opinions.

You have a different opinion? Lets talk. Prove me wrong. Show me something I cant see. Tell me something I dont know.

Thats what @ZoSoRose did. He showed me videos telling that hes been to three shows and enjoyed it a lot.

I replied to him explainin that, to me, the only possible explanation for him to enjoy this nonsense is that he got to GNR after 1992.

I could be wrong, who knows? I could be right. He didnt answer. Maybe because he found my answer stupid. Maybe because he didnt have time. Maybe he doesnt feel like it.

I am not looking down on anyone. In fact most of the times I feel that people who are enjoyng this nonsense are way luckier than me.

Because it really seems like people are having a grand good time.

I am not.

Oh and thanks for giving me orders ("Quit hating and move along") and telling me what to do!

Thats so fun!

:rofl-lol:

• Like 1