About Axl's performances

I disagree with people saying it's only gonna get worse, well, I kinda agree that's probably the way it's gonna go, but I think you can always make the best of what you have left and he doesn't seem to be doing that. He sounds outright bad on some songs and I think he needs to use what he has to sound the best he can. He seems to just prefer to use falsetto and mumbling because it's easier. 

25 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

He's right above, enjoy what's left while it's there!

34 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Enjoy it while it lasts, the candle doesn't have much wax left. 

^^THIS

I'm going to rock concerts now for nearly 30 years, i've seen so many bands with different lineups and in different "quality" and i enjoyed every single one !

Edited by EricA
  • Like 1

He's fine for touring and doing these shows, I think everyone enjoys that aspect, but I highly doubt we ever see him perform in front of a live TV audience again. His voice simply can't hold up on a live recording the way he sings songs like SCOM, November Rain, PC, and many others. 

ACDC he absolutely killed and sounded amazing for. He has something left in the tank but sadly when it comes to GNR music he's not willing to change his style in order to achieve a better performance 

He's in the middle of a tour so maybe there's some coasting going on currently. I havent been a fan of his sound since the NA tour ended. 

11 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

He's fine for touring and doing these shows, I think everyone enjoys that aspect, but I highly doubt we ever see him perform in front of a live TV audience again. His voice simply can't hold up on a live recording the way he sings songs like SCOM, November Rain, PC, and many others. 

ACDC he absolutely killed and sounded amazing for. He has something left in the tank but sadly when it comes to GNR music he's not willing to change his style in order to achieve a better performance 

He's in the middle of a tour so maybe there's some coasting going on currently. I havent been a fan of his sound since the NA tour ended. 

Yeah, there are fluctuations. He did sound bad in Japan, I thought he sounded great in Brisbane, at least at the same level of the NA leg, and close to Houston. There is a clear difference in effort to between shows, when he is not feeling it he sometimes even falsettoes the outro to Patience and the "and please remeber, how felt inside..." bit in Don't Cry. Other times those moments really bring back his old voice.

1 hour ago, Pedrolg said:

So, before anybody gets pissed off at me, I thing the current shows are worth going to, and I had a blast in Sao Paulo. At the venue I thought Axl sounded awesome, and it was really a dream come true. 

With that said, looking up the show I've been to and watching those 2006 and 2010 shows posted here is a bit depressing, and it really highlights how far Axl has fallen. Remove the tons of sugarcoating and excitement from Slash and Duff being there and the truth is he is a far cry from his former self, and actually sounds just bad on a few songs.

Some people will say they love Axl's clean falsetto (for me there's a lot of denial and wishful thinking in this), or that he still has awesome moments and puts on a show worth watching (I agree with this). What bothers me more than it being good or bad though is just how different it is. Some people might love current Axl, but he could be a whole different singer as far as I'm concerned. The voices are projected differently, have different tones and all that.

It is a bit shit to wonder what could have been of this reunion had a 2010 Axl stormed the stage. It bugs me immensely that comedians impersonating Axl and a few cover singers sound closer to Axl on GNR records than Axl himself. It bugs me a lot that he somehow found a way to dig deep with AC/DC and sound remotely close to his old self, but gets nowhere near it with GNR. I really wish he had just a little bit more left in him at this point while reuniting with Slash.

I had almost this exact thought yesterday watching the 2006 rock am ring show, and listening to my bootleg of an Auckland 2007 show which doesn't even feel that long ago!

I'm very, very happy with what we've got now, and what I saw 10 days ago in Auckland blew me the fuck away, but ya just gotta wonder what could have been

I agree but it's inevitable and it looks like its not going to change anytime soon.

So my advice is always the same and that's what I did: go see this show NOW because I don't think things will get better in the future. If there is a future for this band.

Aging does bad on Axl, it's proven, not only vocally but physically, he just cant keep himself in shape and it feels like he's putting on a great effort to offer a decent show.

Just take what you can get from it and if you really wanna see this band catch a show this year.

I just wish they would make one last album and be completely gone.

• Like 1

The simple fact is that Axl has always performed differently to how the songs were recorded. It's just the nature of live concerts. You can argue that he may sound better in any specific year, but at the end of the day, it's really a pointless effort because his live performances have always been mixed. I'm half-convinced that if this forum had existed in the 90's, people would have been complaining that Axl sounded too raspy.

Axl may not sound as good on some songs as he did in 2006 or 2010, but in others, i think he sounds closer to the 80's than he ever really has. Out ta Get Me is just one example of this.

It would have been cool to see a 2010 Axl storm the stage with Slash and Duff, but that would have been untenable. We saw how Axl came back from a full year of touring under such strain, and it wasn't good. I think Axl's current vocals are a good middle-ground between too raspy and too clean.

4 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Yeah, there are fluctuations. He did sound bad in Japan, I thought he sounded great in Brisbane, at least at the same level of the NA leg, and close to Houston. There is a clear difference in effort to between shows, when he is not feeling it he sometimes even falsettoes the outro to Patience and the "and please remeber, how felt inside..." bit in Don't Cry. Other times those moments really bring back his old voice.

Brisbane wasn't bad but I don't think it was on par with Houston. 

It is what it is. Could It be better? yeah absolutely it could. His vocal performance every show has tons of peaks and valleys. Its hard to say whether he just doesnt give a fuck, is trying to conserve his vocal cords so they can hold up for the long run or he just physically cant do it anymore on a consistent basis. 

IMO, I thought that towards the end of the AC/DC tour he was struggling a bit more than during the middle of that tour which is when he was the strongest vocally. dont know if that was fatigue or he got sick towards the end of that tour, cant remember. But what is clear is that he knew he couldnt go out there and fuck up, so he took the gig serious, prepared for it and hired a vocal coach to make sure he didnt fuck something up. 

No use in lamenting what could have been though, its too late. Take it for what it is now, It may not last much longer. singers dont get better the older they get. the comparisons to the past will only make things worse for yourself. If the performance isnt up to snuff for some, then oh well, that is life. not much any of us can do on but endlessly go around in circles talking about his voice not being as good as whatever date in the past.

Edited by NicDwolfwood
  • Like 1

his voice is far from fried or done. Anyone who denies what he did with AC/DC as different style or whatever are just trying to justify why he can't do it with GNR. 

These videos show off 5 different singing styles. He nails them all, standing up, in the NA tour where people thought his voice began to fade...so these are his weaker AC/DC shows. 

Axl's just full of sh*t...he can hit any note he wants to, but he wants to play over 200 shows across the globe and is concerned that the long term effects he could face could end his career at age 55. He wants to record with Angus, he wants to record with Slash...I believe he's just making sure that will be a possibility once the world tour ends 

• Like 3

I just hope Axl and Slash having been working on new music to release soon. They owe it to the themselves, GNR's legacy, rock n roll and most importantly the fans to give it one more (last) shot at creating something badass and new.

Axl is 55 years old and physically he's been headed in the wrong direction for 10 years. There isn't much reason to think that'll ever change at this point. 20 years were essentially wasted imo.. and while this tour was amazing to see, it'll be a let down if they also don't create & release something new. They stormed into the music world with a fresh and unapologetic album that satisfied the appetites of millions. Here's to hoping they do the same on their way out. Or at a minimum, at least try.

It's 25 years later- he's not gonna sound like he did during the UYI tour.  He still kicks ass though, yet too bad be pissed away all those years with the cover band, but I digress. Let's just appreciate what we have and enjoy.  

Edited by Original
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

I'm thinking he'd still be able to pull of some good vocals in studio. It's a very different environment, less expectations and more focus.

you read my mind :)

2 minutes ago, Original said:

It's 25 years later- he's not gonna sound like he did during the UYI tour.  He still locks ass though, yet too bad be pissed away all those years with the cover band, but I digress. Let's just appreciate what we have and enjoy.  

good post. i am going to appreciate the hell out of what he's giving :)

28 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Having Slash and Duff there elevate the songs he struggles with and it is still fun while you are at the show.  I'll take it.

The show is great and hopefully, you can enjoy it with a bunch of rockers.

I don't think I would have enjoyed this show that much with a crowd like the last I've seen.... Horrible.

But when you are there you really don't notice Axl's mistakes all that much. There's too much going on around you to even care about his singing.

That's why the live experience is just another planet and even with this old Axl not in his best shape, it's still worth it to go and have a good time.

• Like 1

yeah i guess it really depends on the night or the song hes singing, i mean for his age hes still pretty decent, but when i saw them at gilette, he sounded spot on for almost all the songs, he struggled towards the end of coma but i was almost expecting that cause that last 2 minutes of the song are intense

Axl can still sing, but only in high ranges (OTGM, My Michelle) and low ranges (Brownstone, Chinese). His middle range is far past shot, meaning songs like SCOM, November Rain and YCBM don't sound very good vocally (Although Axl has worked on his vocal delivery on SCOM and NR and it sounds way better). I've been saying it for months, YCBM just needs to be dropped from the set list. It sounds like dog shit live, and I know everyone is going to link me Houston but I still think that version sounds awful. 

We just have to accept this is Axl's voice now. He still gives a hell of a performance and 60-70% of the songs still sound really great vocally. It's never going to sound like 2006 or 2010 and definitely never like the 90's ever again. 

I do think that his shot voice is one of the biggest reasons (along with his inability to release anything) there will never be a GNR record again. Either we're going to get a bunch of clean, un-studio Axl vocals, all lower songs such as ISE/Brownstone (which wouldn't work as Guns) or CD II vocals from the late 90's which will sound like absolute crap performed live. 

• Like 2

Axl is far from his former self and his voice is not what it was, no doubt about that (although I don't hold his 2010 performances in such a high regard as others do - I have the impression that he was pushing his voice too much). But I don't agree with people who say that he gets worse as the tour progresses and I think there is some exaggeration in the negativity about the most recent shows; for example, some of Axl's Rosies with AC/DC were quite clean (I remember some "whole lotta mickey" comments here) and imo not much better than the Sydney performances. 

Axl has ups and downs (he had that with AC/DC too, even though to a lesser extent). From the streams and videos I've watched, I think that, putting the April shows aside, his worst shows were the first 4-5 in SA and maybe the first couple in Japan, i.e. the first shows of a leg after a long break. He's been consistently good on some songs (mainly the first 3 of the set) and not good on others (Paradise City, for example, was just bearable only in 1-2 occasions, although Axl's vocals isn't the only reason this song sucks in this tour).

Like others said, probably the best thing he could do now would be to change his singing style on some songs, so that he wouldn't need to use clean falsetto (or whatever the technical term is), but I have the feeling that there would be still people here who wouldn't compromise with anything else than the good old rasp.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

I'm a huge Jovi fan...I'm going to T-Mobile next week to see them....guess what the forums all say?  "He can't sing...his voice is shot....bitch bitch....".   It's the sane SOS.   Our heros are aging people and it sucks!    But we still have them thank god.  Enjoy. 

• Like 1