About Axl's performances

You can just tell he's so much more into it since he's been on his feet in 2016 to now. Couple his performance and the (still) disbelief for many of seeing Slash alongside again and these shows are simply must sees!

That fucking Dallas My Michelle is nuts, among other '16 videos posted on here! For real, how can you honestly be too mad at those performances?! They shit all over anything from nuGuns overall.

Edited by Blake Sabbath
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

You can just tell he's so much more into it since he's been on his feet in 2016 to now. Couple his performance and the (still) disbelief for many of seeing Slash alongside again and these shows are simply must sees!

That fucking Dallas My Michelle is nuts, among other '16 videos posted on here! For real, how can you honestly be too mad at those performances?! They shit all over anything from nuGuns overall.

I want someone to voice over his performance of my michelle at the ritz with Dallas audio to see what it looks like. 

Like the out at get me from Coachella 

• Like 1

On February 16, 2017 at 7:53 AM, Gnrcane said:

As for aging and voice changing, a decent amount probably has to do with physical conditioning.  I saw Aerosmith when Steven Tyler was in the 50-55 range and he sounded like Steven Tyler.  He probably couldn't hit every note he did in the 80's but he had his trademark tone.

and I've seen Steven live a few years back and I swear that he LIP SYNC'd to TWO songs!! I am good at catching this. Part of me was upset but the other part was like, 'meh, he's an old goat and he needs a break"...what can you do? he's still strutting around (and he recovered that night in Toronto after Joe threw him off the catwalk stage!!)...

I agree...go to a concert and enjoy...and if you can't that's a shame on your part

On 2/13/2017 at 6:07 PM, Wagszilla said:

What could have been accurately summarizes Guns N' Roses for the last two decades.

Axl has sung the AFD songs 30 million times (hyperbole police!) and cares less, is aging, has historically lived an unhealthy lifestyle, and not taken care of his voice. It's completely unsurprising his voice isn't even close to 2010.

Enjoy it while it lasts, the candle doesn't have much wax left. 

I'm not a health expert and I don't know a lot about Axl, but wasn't he pretty healthy during his GNR days, unless it's just a rumor that he used a lot of vitamins and shit? Sure he's had his ups and downs on his weight, but other than that I don't see an issue, although he could take better care of his voice/sing in a lower register on some songs.

6 minutes ago, blonde_illusion said:

I'm not a health expert and I don't know a lot about Axl, but wasn't he pretty healthy during his GNR days, unless it's just a rumor that he used a lot of vitamins and shit? Sure he's had his ups and downs on his weight, but other than that I don't see an issue, although he could take better care of his voice/sing in a lower register on some songs.

Always seemed fit as fuck to me.  More so than any other band member.  Smoked a lot of gear by all accounts but not a great deal of the hard stuff when they got famous.  Probably a good thing too, the mad bastard, imagine a cokehead Axl...or an Axl on acid, Christ Almighty, he'd be the biggest buzz blower on earth, bless him :lol:

20 minutes ago, blonde_illusion said:

Axl was always a runner in his younger days and stayed in shape by doing a ton of cardio. He smoked for a bit and did some drugs but never long enough to create substantial long term issues.

he didn't start getting out of shape until after CD released and even then he got pretty fit by the end of the 2010 tour.

December 2010

That break in between 2010 tour and Rio killed him. Whatever happened he stopped caring, gained weight, lost his voice, the whole thing is a mess. This reunion was the first sign he has been trying to get back into shape but it gets harder with age. 

Axl use to kick box in 2006...as a side note 

Edited by IncitingChaos

20 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl was always a runner in his younger days and stayed in shape by doing a ton of cardio. He smoked for a bit and did some drugs but never long enough to create substantial long term issues.

he didn't start getting out of shape until after CD released and even then he got pretty fit by the end of the 2010 tour.

December 2010

That break in between 2010 tour and Rio killed him. Whatever happened he stopped caring, gained weight, lost his voice, the whole thing is a mess. This reunion was the first sign he has been trying to get back into shape but it gets harder with age. 

damn this reunion came 6/7 years too late...

37 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

December 2010

I think he was pretty fit on and off during the release of the album. There was a point in 2010, I think, where he was really fit. Of course he's older and I in no way expect him to run around the stage in jockey shorts and shit like he used to. He's still got a lot of his showman ship, still, I think, and a lot of energy. I sound like a lame concerned fan, but he should take more concern with his physical state, although he looks pretty in shape. This is gonna sound weird but he's got the same stature as my dad; fit legs/arms, chubby in the middle.

44 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Always seemed fit as fuck to me.  More so than any other band member.  Smoked a lot of gear by all accounts but not a great deal of the hard stuff when they got famous.  Probably a good thing too, the mad bastard, imagine a cokehead Axl...or an Axl on acid, Christ Almighty, he'd be the biggest buzz blower on earth, bless him :lol:

God, he'd be so fucked up on coke or something like that. More than he, like, can I say, used to be? I mean he never was fucked up, I don't know. I know he's said he has this personal constitution/higher limits regarding drugs.

17 minutes ago, blonde_illusion said:

God, he'd be so fucked up on coke or something like that. More than he, like, can I say, used to be? I mean he never was fucked up, I don't know. I know he's said he has this personal constitution/higher limits regarding drugs.

I dont believe him, people with a constitution dont quit em like he did, a constitution means u can do em and deal with it like many-a functioning alcoholic or cokehead does.  Keith Richards, now thats a constitution.  Or John Wayne or Robert Mitchum.  

48 minutes ago, blonde_illusion said:

I think he was pretty fit on and off during the release of the album. There was a point in 2010, I think, where he was really fit. Of course he's older and I in no way expect him to run around the stage in jockey shorts and shit like he used to. He's still got a lot of his showman ship, still, I think, and a lot of energy. I sound like a lame concerned fan, but he should take more concern with his physical state, although he looks pretty in shape. This is gonna sound weird but he's got the same stature as my dad; fit legs/arms, chubby in the middle.

Yea end of 2010 he was in shape. We didn't see Axl from early 2007 till late 2009...he put on a few pounds between that time. But looked good in 2010, then Rock in Rio happened...the worst night ever 

31 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I dont believe him, people with a constitution dont quit em like he did, a constitution means u can do em and deal with it like many-a functioning alcoholic or cokehead does.  Keith Richards, now thats a constitution.  Or John Wayne or Robert Mitchum.  

I guess he just knew when to quit, then.

1 hour ago, blonde_illusion said:

I thought he didn't smoke at all, but I guess I'm wrong. I also heard he got a lot of stuff out of his system in his younger years in Indiana, the delinquent stuff. Not trying to make him out to be a saint.

How did you not know that he smoked cigs during GNR's peak years? It's quite obvious in most interviews and concerts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blonde_illusion said:
1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I guess he just knew when to quit, then.

It may have simply been that he didn't have a good time when he doing them. If you have too many bad trips then you might tend to stay away. I think I remember him saying that he had to be in a certain mood or he'd stress out the entire time, but I cannot find the interview in the five or so minutes I took to find it. So I might be completely making it up.

I suppose it could also be that Axl was the biggest addict of them all, but better at hiding it.

ETA: Ha, went to google, changed my search terms and there it was. Some reason I thought it was part of the follow up interview where he tried to clarify what he said in the interview about his constitution.  Didn't realize it was the same one.

I have a different physical constitution and different mindset about drugs than anybody I've known in Hollywood, because I don't abstain from doing drugs, but I won't allow myself to have a fuckin' habit. I won't allow it. I'll have done blow for three days and my mind will go "Fuck no". I'll have the physical feeling of knowing my body needs it, and I'll just refuse to do coke that day. I'm not going to do it, because if I was going to do it, I know I won't be able to hit my goals with what I want to do with this band. I can't let myself get into coke as much as I'm into the band. The same thing with heroin. I did it for three weeks straight and had one of the greatest times in my life, because I was with a girl I wanted to be with in this beautiful apartment, and we just sat there listening to Led Zeppelin, doing drugs and fucking. It was great, 'cause at that time I had nothing to do but sit on my ass and make a few phone calls a day. I stopped on, like, Saturday, because I had serious business to attend to on Monday. I felt like shit, sweated, shook, but on Monday I was able to function. I can't hide in drugs. A lot of people can, but whenever I do any drugs - pills, booze, smack, whatever - to enjoy it, my life has to be perfect - no fuck-ups, nothing going wrong. Otherwise, when I'm high, I'll analyze the shit out of everything that's happening in my life and why things are going wrong. That's not enjoyable. And if I have shows to do, I won't touch drugs because it fucks up my throat. My advice is don't get a habit, don't use anybody else's needle and don't let drugs become a prerequisite to having a good time. Do things in moderation , and just be careful.

Edited by sanity_lost

All I know is Axl killed it last year at the shows I saw, listening back to them on even youtube he still has power and can bring the rasp.  Granted some shows on this tour have been a bit more clean voice than others, however I would say that Axl can still bring the goods.  

And no matter if it is 2006, 2010, or 2016 - at least he doesn't sound as "eh" as he did in 01/02 and in 2012/2013 for the most part!

1 hour ago, sanity_lost said:

It may have simply been that he didn't have a good time when he doing them. If you have too many bad trips then you might tend to stay away. I think I remember him saying that he had to be in a certain mood or he'd stress out the entire time, but I cannot find the interview in the five or so minutes I took to find it. So I might be completely making it up.

I suppose it could also be that Axl was the biggest addict of them all, but better at hiding it.

ETA: Ha, went to google, changed my search terms and there it was. Some reason I thought it was part of the follow up interview where he tried to clarify what he said in the interview about his constitution.  Didn't realize it was the same one.

Yesss, this quote is what i meant about the "constitution" thing! And he may not have liked doing what he was doing, too. I can relate, in a sense. I don't really drink a lot of alcohol. If I do, it's white wine, and I always mix it with ginger ale. Maybe it's really not the same thing, but I've had little interest in partaking in anything. Alcohol makes me feel sick after a few drinks, I take it slow.

44 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

All I know is Axl killed it last year at the shows I saw, listening back to them on even youtube he still has power and can bring the rasp.  Granted some shows on this tour have been a bit more clean voice than others, however I would say that Axl can still bring the goods.  

And no matter if it is 2006, 2010, or 2016 - at least he doesn't sound as "eh" as he did in 01/02 and in 2012/2013 for the most part!

I listen to the boots I have from the Detroit and Chicago shows I was at last year quite a bit. He does sound good even on the boots

• Like 1

A lot of people say "he killed it with AC/DC, but he refuses to do it with gnr" no 1, they guy is still hitting the high notes, and despite him being a bit inconsistent he usually puts on a very good show (exception of the first week of a leg). 

No 2, Axl had to push hard to hot Tue notes in AC/DC. He is used this singing in the comfortable tuning of EB, while AC/DC tuned back to standard when Axl came in. Maybe Guns should tune up on a few songs, it might push him a bit more... Likely though he would be shagged half way through the tour. 

Certain keys are better suited to Axl, it's as simple as that. In some keys he yas to push, in others it's comfortable and he doesn't have to try as hard. In the same way, some registers are easier for him. He can always do the mid voiced don't cry parts, but he can't always do the mud voiced November rain. 

At the end of the day, it really isn't going to change because we complain online. You either like it and get on with it, or you don't, and don't go the show or buy whatever else they sell until such a time as you do like what it is that they are selling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

A lot of people say "he killed it with AC/DC, but he refuses to do it with gnr" no 1, they guy is still hitting the high notes, and despite him being a bit inconsistent he usually puts on a very good show (exception of the first week of a leg). 

No 2, Axl had to push hard to hot Tue notes in AC/DC. He is used this singing in the comfortable tuning of EB, while AC/DC tuned back to standard when Axl came in. Maybe Guns should tune up on a few songs, it might push him a bit more... Likely though he would be shagged half way through the tour. 

Certain keys are better suited to Axl, it's as simple as that. In some keys he yas to push, in others it's comfortable and he doesn't have to try as hard. In the same way, some registers are easier for him. He can always do the mid voiced don't cry parts, but he can't always do the mud voiced November rain. 

At the end of the day, it really isn't going to change because we complain online. You either like it and get on with it, or you don't, and don't go the show or buy whatever else they sell until such a time as you do like what it is that they are selling.

I agree with many of the points you make however I think it still leaves a big question mark on how Axl lost parts of his voice in a short span between end of 2010 and Rio. 

Listen to Don't Cry from 2010 and now, he was able to hit some crazy notes then that he quickly lost and had to change how he sang the song from 2011 on. It still sounds good but it's definitely not the same. 

Someone posted Mr. Brownstone from that acoustic gig and one of the comments mentioned how he hit the "ow" in between lines correctly for the first time. I know it's a tiny detail but he can't reach far enough to get his voice 

i guess for me it's not about saying there's more effort here or there it's just a big question mark on what happened...his voice didn't slowly deteriorate he just lost parts of it in a very short period of time 

2:42

1:46 I know it's really dumb and an insignificant part but he sounds like a kitten when he tries that now versus a lion then. Make fun of me all you want for making a deal out of it but he use to use that little "ow" a lot 

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

I agree with many of the points you make however I think it still leaves a big question mark on how Axl lost parts of his voice in a short span between end of 2010 and Rio. 

Listen to Don't Cry from 2010 and now, he was able to hit some crazy notes then that he quickly lost and had to change how he sang the song from 2011 on. It still sounds good but it's definitely not the same. 

Someone posted Mr. Brownstone from that acoustic gig and one of the comments mentioned how he hit the "ow" in between lines correctly for the first time. I know it's a tiny detail but he can't reach far enough to get his voice 

i guess for me it's not about saying there's more effort here or there it's just a big question mark on what happened...his voice didn't slowly deteriorate he just lost parts of it in a very short period of time 

2:42

1:46 I know it's really dumb and an insignificant part but he sounds like a kitten when he tries that now versus a lion then. Make fun of me all you want for making a deal out of it but he use to use that little "ow" a lot 

Both great performances! That don't cry is killer.

Ya'know I really don't know what the problem is. Maybe he just prefers singing it the other way. Might be like Bob Dylan playing completely different arrangements of his classic songs, because that's just how he wants to do it.

Tbh I don't prefer his clean voice over his voice like on the don't cry clip, but once he's in key, singing the right lyrics in time I'm happy. He's really not doing a bad job, it's just that he's not as good as he once was. Why the drastic change from 2010 to '11? None of know, I doubt that even he could answer that question.