About Axl's performances

11 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I agree with many of the points you make however I think it still leaves a big question mark on how Axl lost parts of his voice in a short span between end of 2010 and Rio. 

Listen to Don't Cry from 2010 and now, he was able to hit some crazy notes then that he quickly lost and had to change how he sang the song from 2011 on. It still sounds good but it's definitely not the same. 

Someone posted Mr. Brownstone from that acoustic gig and one of the comments mentioned how he hit the "ow" in between lines correctly for the first time. I know it's a tiny detail but he can't reach far enough to get his voice 

i guess for me it's not about saying there's more effort here or there it's just a big question mark on what happened...his voice didn't slowly deteriorate he just lost parts of it in a very short period of time 

2:42

1:46 I know it's really dumb and an insignificant part but he sounds like a kitten when he tries that now versus a lion then. Make fun of me all you want for making a deal out of it but he use to use that little "ow" a lot 

I'm just as meticulous as you and I can tell you for a fact that he now does the "ow" in brownstone correctly again now. Pretty much from the North American tour onwards. Check out Brownstone from any Australia or New Zealand show.

I can't believe I even notice this kind of stuff I think I have a problem haha.

Edited by AlexC

This is why bands do interviews. It would be nice to know at least something. Now we can only speculate.. 

No idea what really happened between 2010-2016. All I know that Axl used to be halloween tree.. :facepalm:

I don't really get why no interviews? Only that short one with Duff and Axl which gave us nothing. 

As far as I'm concerned, Axl is still in much better form that he's been in the last 6 years since 2010. Not only is he 7 years older since then, but he's singing the songs and putting on a hell of a show. Just look at how into the songs he is compared to performances from 2011-2014. Am I the only one who remembers really how bad 2013, and especially early 2014 were, up until Bethlehem? For a bit, I actually regretted planning a Vegas trip (until the Bethlehem show, which many at the time considered to be the best show of the year so far). We've honestly come a long way. And still, I dare anyone to put as much effort into the performance energy and vocal power from the start of the setlist up until the end of Jungle - most wouldn't make it.

I criticize Axl plenty, but having seen the band 19 times since 2011, I'm more happy with him now than I've been since the first time I saw him 6 years ago.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Am I the only one who remembers really how bad 2013, and especially early 2014 were, up until Bethlehem?

Most of 2011-2014 was Axl on total autopilot. The 2011 tour only happened because he lost a lawsuit. It was pretty clear that he didn't give a fuck about the songs most of the time, and I agree 2013/early 2014 was the low point.

The difference last year was that he finally had something to prove again, with GNR and AC/DC, and he sounded the best he has in 6 years. The 2017 shows so far haven't been as good IMO, the first few were just flat out bad, and I know he's sounded pretty good at the last few Aussie shows but it's still not as good as the NA tour. But I also expect this to be the standard until he tours behind a new album or with AC/DC again.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Cory Trevor said:

He's killing it this year, do we not now realize axl just gets better the more he sings lol

The more he sings the more he is boring and on autopilot.

I don't think there is one performance this year that is as good as the beginning/mid of the tour in 2016. That's two different Axl. The Axl we currently have is the Axl we got late 2012.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Rio was an extreme example, but I'll still take the 2016 performance over that 2011 you posted :shrugs:

Me too. It's just that comparing Philly with Rio IV or early 2014 doesn't mean a thing.

There are plenty of shows in 2012/2013/2014 just as good as 2016 (LA11, Philly12, Kansas13, Vegas14 etc.). Yes Axl is less out of breath and in better shape, but his voice is slowly degrading.

Our 'hero's/rock stars' are aging and it sucks.  I'm a huge Bon Jovi fan (actually going to Vegas this weekend to see them at T-Mobile) and going to the Jovi forums and it's the exact same bitching. 

Check it out here- http://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-jovi-tour-f8/february-19th-scottrade-center-st-louis-mo-t69869/page9.html

Some are calling for the tour to cancel future dates.  People are delusional, these guys are old (young at heart though).  I loved my Guns shows last year and will this summer again when I see em.  Ditto for JBJ.

Some Jovi forum comments-

That's the first time I'm actually questioning whether he can really pull off this entire leg or whether they might go and cancel some shows.

"I'm wondering the same. If this ever happen it will sure put the stone on their grave.
And This is just heartbreaking. I don't know what to say anymore.

But I don't see them cancelling at all. Most of us guessed that this first leg was Jon testing the waters, hell he said as much. Fans that don't know better don't expect great vocals from an "old" man. And from what I read on social media, most of the audience are female fans who are more than happy to see Jon flashing his million-watt smile and playing the hits.

Please, don't interpret this as an insult to casual fans. I actually think it's really good that many fans enjoy this BJ. Let the boys wrap this leg and take a long break. Europe and the rest of the world can wait.

I want them to have a final tour where everybody is healthy and they are enjoying themselves. Better to spread this tour for as long as possible and go out with a bang."

and

"He can't sing anymore, there's no polishing over that.

I kinda feel sorry for him but then realise he's charging people a fortune to go and watch him sing terribly while clinging onto a mic stand."

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

Are you serious?:rofl-lol:

Try this.

That Estranged is really good! The worst part is it's not even a hard vocal to use for him...all he has to do is not go Mickey...nobody is asking for rasp, just no mickey! 

ive always liked the ending to this one at 8:12....not Bc he uses the best rasp at the end but just Bc it didn't coast through the finish and got away from that high falsetto, even this sounds better than what we've seen...it's not that he can't it's that he won't 

• Like 1

Well, Jon knows his voice is gone, and acknowledged it in one of his new songs: 

I got some blood under my nails, I got some mud on my face
My voice is shot I'm going grey, these muscles all ache

Anyway, I remember a theory in this forums a few years back. Some say Axl's Mickey voice is due to Youtube/video recording, but you dont really notice it live. Any truth in that? 

13 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Well, Jon knows his voice is gone, and acknowledged it in one of his new songs: 

I got some blood under my nails, I got some mud on my face
My voice is shot I'm going grey, these muscles all ache

Anyway, I remember a theory in this forums a few years back. Some say Axl's Mickey voice is due to Youtube/video recording, but you dont really notice it live. Any truth in that? 

Zero truth to sounding bad due to youtube. Thats a bullshit claim. He may sound better in person becase of the live mix and because you are there and not analyzing everything, but recordings to not magically cause mickey

41 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Zero truth to sounding bad due to youtube. Thats a bullshit claim. He may sound better in person becase of the live mix and because you are there and not analyzing everything, but recordings to not magically cause mickey

Perth thread says otherwise though, from people who were there.

7 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Perth thread says otherwise though, from people who were there.

So he brought his 2010 voice to the Perth gig? Please share some videos, this is the first time in 7 years Axl is sounding like himself. We should open a new thread celebrating it.

17 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

You see, he sounds exactly like that in 2017.... FOR COMPLETE LUNATICS WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT AND MAKE THEMSELVES SOUND LIKE PATHETIC FOOLS FOR CLAIMING AXL STILL SOUNDS GOOD.

In those videos we hear Axl Rose sounding like Axl Rose. Since 2011 to this day, there's an Axl parody on stage every night. Not really what made people love Axl at all, unless you are a 40 something years old female who wants Axl to fuck you every night.

26 minutes ago, maynard said:

So he brought his 2010 voice to the Perth gig? Please share some videos, this is the first time in 7 years Axl is sounding like himself. We should open a new thread celebrating it.

No, but saying his live voice is awesome, and the recordings/idevices dont do it justice.

Edited by ChristmasFnatic