About Axl's performances

It seems to me he's either running on fumes and his voice is 95% fucked, or he doesn't want to give GN'R fans the good stuff. Neither scenario is good. I know a couple of guys who have paid a shit load to see them at Wembley, but I declined based on what I have seen of this tour so far.

3 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

It seems to me he's either running on fumes and his voice is 95% fucked, or he doesn't want to give GN'R fans the good stuff. Neither scenario is good. I know a couple of guys who have paid a shit load to see them at Wembley, but I declined based on what I have seen of this tour so far.

I have the opportunity to see them live in Paris or Dublin this summer, but it's way too expensive for what it's worth. I'm fine I've already seen AC/DC last year in Marseille for seventy bucks.

34 minutes ago, maynard said:

You see, he sounds exactly like that in 2017.... FOR COMPLETE LUNATICS WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT AND MAKE THEMSELVES SOUND LIKE PATHETIC FOOLS FOR CLAIMING AXL STILL SOUNDS GOOD.

In those videos we hear Axl Rose sounding like Axl Rose. Since 2011 to this day, there's an Axl parody on stage every night. Not really what made people love Axl at all, unless you are a 40 something years old female who wants Axl to fuck you every night.

I guess his voice can't handle it anymore. A mans voice tend to change when you get older. But i belive it has a lot to do with vocal training and general fitness.. He seems out of breath sometimes and can't get enough power to sing as he used to sing. But i'm no vocal expert.. There have to be someone in this forum that is a vocal coach or something that can try to explain this never ending topic?

Edited by estranged_85

11 minutes ago, estranged_85 said:

I guess his voice can't handle it anymore. A mans voice tend to change when you get older. But i belive it has a lot to do with vocal training and general fitness.. He seems out of breath sometimes and can't get enough power to sing as he used to sing. But i'm no vocal expert.. There have to be someone in this forum that is a vocal coach or something that can try to explain this never ending topic?

He sings the ACDC songs like he's possessed. He sings most of GNR songs with a clean, weak, Mickey Mouse voice. I think any vocal expert would tell you the same. In GNR, he's phoning it in. We should probably get a shrink to try to explain why he does that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maynard said:

He sings the ACDC songs like he's possessed. He sings most of GNR songs with a clean, weak, Mickey Mouse voice. I think any vocal expert would tell you the same. In GNR, he's phoning it in. We should probably get a shrink to try to explain why he does that.

i see three options.. 1. He does not have enough power left in his voice for GN'R songs. 2. He does not care enough. 3. It's a lot harder to sing GN'R songs with lots of lyrics n stuff and he's not in shape for it.

Maybe it's more fun for him to take on the AC/DC stuff? i don't know.. just speculations.  

1 hour ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

No, but saying his live voice is awesome, and the recordings/idevices dont do it justice.

You can clearly tell when you're at a show whether he's slipped into the Mickey voice, it's just a lot easier not to care. I was up front at the first Vegas show and knew some songs were weak, but it's more about the experience than the performance when you're there.

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

You can clearly tell when you're at a show whether he's slipped into the Mickey voice, it's just a lot easier not to care. I was up front at the first Vegas show and knew some songs were weak, but it's more about the experience than the performance when you're there.

But its not distracting/embarassing? Im bringing my gf to a concert. Would suck if its too obvious. Lol

56 minutes ago, maynard said:

It shows that Axl'd rather be in AC/DC than GN'R. After this tour Axl will jump ship to AC/DC with his best mate for a newalbum and worldwide tour and GnR will be forced to be on hiatus.

I think new people here that think GnR is a 100% functioning band now since key members have reunited and will release shitloads of new songs as good as Use Your Illusion after the tour are mentally baked. It's not happening. Probably this tour was a one off job, money too good to pass up. Everyones happy.

I could be wrong, but it seems that Axl would do everything to make Angus happy and I can't blame him it's going to be awesome.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

But its not distracting/embarassing? Im bringing my gf to a concert. Would suck if its too obvious. Lol

It's obvious, but doesn't stand out as badly as in some videos because the music's so loud and he doesn't project that voice too well so it's buried in the mix. Might depend where your seats are though.

42 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

It shows that Axl'd rather be in AC/DC than GN'R. After this tour Axl will jump ship to AC/DC with his best mate for a newalbum and worldwide tour and GnR will be forced to be on hiatus.

I think new people here that think GnR is a 100% functioning band now since key members have reunited and will release shitloads of new songs as good as Use Your Illusion after the tour are mentally baked. It's not happening. Probably this tour was a one off job, money too good to pass up. Everyones happy.

I could be wrong, but it seems that Axl would do everything to make Angus happy and I can't blame him it's going to be awesome.

#He'sJustNotThatIntoGNRAnymore

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

There hasn't been much of anything "awesome" about AC/DC in a long time.  Axl isn't going to change that. 

They are a glorified nostalgia act who pump out shit records to continue touring without being viewed as a nostalgia act.   

Sure they've had a decent song here and there (literally like 2 or 3 in the past 15 years), but that's it.   

I'm missing the "awesomeness" of that sort of ineptitude myself

• Like 1

@Silent Jay @IncitingChaos I actually have a theory about Axl's clean falsetto. It's definitely a conscious choice. During the crowd interaction part of KoHD he uses 4 different voices; his low Brownstone voice, his chest rasp, his high falsetto voice and then his massive scream. He makes a conscious decision to rasp one and clean sing the next one, it's a certain voice that he uses on command. Also in Jungle, he always rasps that song and on occasion when it doesn't come out, you can hear him forcing it out and trying to correct himself. Whereas on Estranged for instance, it's obvious that he's consciously avoiding it.

For some reason Axl likes to use it, whether it's a bad habit or it's something that he's only discovered he can do by accident and now realises that if he only uses it on certain songs, it still sounds good to the live audience as he's still in key. Couple that with selective rasp and everyone's happy except Die hards on forums.

This explanation fits in with the fact that he didn't risk scrutiny by using it for AC/DC as he knew everybody was just waiting to criticise him so he took no chances and went chainsaw mode.

Edited by AlexC

From my experience, I went to one of the worst NA shows (Kansas City) but I really didn't notice how bad he sounded for the most part. It's a mix of Axl's pace in the mix, people around me singing, the energy and vibe of actually being there. It's those things mixed together that makes people say "the videos don't do his voice justice". It's illogical sure, but I really didn't notice it until I got home and watched videos of the KC show. 

On 2/14/2017 at 9:30 PM, IncitingChaos said:

I said this in another thread but the one voice he has trouble finding is this one 

at 1:11 you hear how high his voice goes but with grit on it.

same song here and see what happens

at 1:04 he seems to me atleast to be going for that high note again but his voice isn't catching any grit so it's just high and clean creating that mickeyish note 

@AlexC I noticed that also on KOHD, but he's still missing this one note he can't find anymore. I reposted the two Dead Flower performances to show what he's going for and what he's getting. 

I definitely feel his voice is plenty capable enough of reaching a broad range of notes but this one is really unique to Axl and he can't hit it anymore. 

Im a bit conflicted on how much is intentional and how much is unintentional when we hear Mickey in his voice 

3 minutes ago, AlexC said:

@Silent Jay @IncitingChaos I actually have a theory about Axl's clean falsetto. It's definitely a conscious choice. During the crowd interaction part of KoHD he used 4 different voices; his low Brownstone voice, his chest rasp, his high falsetto voice and then his massive scream. He makes a conscious decision to rasp one and clean sing the next one, it's a certain voice that he uses on command. Also in Jungle, he always rasps that song and on occasion when it doesn't come out, you can hear him forcing it out and trying to correct himself. Whereas on Estranged for instance, it's obvious that he's consciously avoiding it.

For some reason Axl likes to use it, whether it's a bad habit or it's something that he's only discovered he can do by accident and now realises that if he only uses it on certain songs, it still sounds good to the live audience as he's still in key. Couple that with selective rasp and everyone's happy except Die hards on forums.

This explanation fits in with the fact that he didn't risk scrutiny by using it for AC/DC as he knew everybody was just waiting to criticise him so he took no chances and went chainsaw mode.

are you shitposting us?

I think you are shitposting unless you are not aware at all of Axl's past. Axl has been using his mickey voice since 01. It's been fifteen years now are you saying it's something he's only discovered by accident recently? Are you aware of 02, 06, 10 or 12? Are you even aware of the 10s rasp in Nightrain complaints?

He's already been using it in Chinese consciously, he even said that he's aware that fans didn't like it. His mickey voice shows up when there's no rasp left or when he is lazy/autopilot. I don't care if you like it, this has been discussed to death already. His falsetto voice is horrendous, we are fans of his raspy voice not of his mickey impressions. So your theory is twenty years late.

3 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

@AlexC I noticed that also on KOHD, but he's still missing this one note he can't find anymore. I reposted the two Dead Flower performances to show what he's going for and what he's getting. 

I definitely feel his voice is plenty capable enough of reaching a broad range of notes but this one is really unique to Axl and he can't hit it anymore. 

Im a bit conflicted on how much is intentional and how much is unintentional when we hear Mickey in his voice 

Yeah, I think it comes down to what note he's going for. It's mainly notes that are in his upper chest register like in Dead Flowers that are difficult. So he relies on falsetto to safely hit them rather than stretch his chest voice. I think he's more than capable of doing it, it's just demanding, but I don't see why he doesn't mask it with rasp more often even when using falsetto. It's probably more psychological than anything.

3 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

are you shitposting us?

I think you are shitposting unless you are not aware at all of Axl's past. Axl has been using his mickey voice since 01. It's been fifteen years now are you saying it's something he's only discovered by accident recently? Are you aware of 02, 06, 10 or 12? Are you even aware of the 10s rasp in Nightrain complaints?

He's already been using it in Chinese consciously, he even said that he's aware that fans didn't like it. His mickey voice shows up when there's no rasp left or when he is lazy/autopilot. I don't care if you like it, this has been discussed to death already. His falsetto voice is horrendous, we are fans of his raspy voice not of his mickey impressions. So your theory is twenty years late.

Thanks for your input.

On 15/02/2017 at 4:30 AM, IncitingChaos said:

I said this in another thread but the one voice he has trouble finding is this one 

at 1:11 you hear how high his voice goes but with grit on it.

same song here and see what happens

at 1:04 he seems to me atleast to be going for that high note again but his voice isn't catching any grit so it's just high and clean creating that mickeyish note 

this one is a lot better.

12 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

this one is a lot better.

I don't even remember that performance...much better than the evil exposing pro shot. I guess Axl just doesn't come through in the clutch on these pro shot videos which worries me about any future performances....the pro shot VMA's ruined 2002 GNR.  (Probably ruined themselves but people said Axl couldn't sing to this day Bc of that performance) 

Edited by IncitingChaos

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

I don't even remember that performance...much better than the evil exposing pro shot. I guess Axl just doesn't come through in the clutch on these pro shot videos which worries me about any future performances....the pro shot VMA's ruined 2002 GNR.  

One of my personal favourite, that scream at 3:29 is crazy good. They also did Mama Kin during the show.

I agree the second night in London was a lot better, there were far greater shows during the residency in Vegas, Axl was sick in Rio IV, Bridge School and Chicago. I think the only decent proshots we got were LA2011 and Vegas2011.