About Axl's performances

48 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I don't even remember that performance...much better than the evil exposing pro shot. I guess Axl just doesn't come through in the clutch on these pro shot videos which worries me about any future performances....the pro shot VMA's ruined 2002 GNR.  (Probably ruined themselves but people said Axl couldn't sing to this day Bc of that performance) 

Father Time ruined the 2002 band. That band with that album and that look comes out in 97 and it's a hit. Music changes quickly and hindsight is always 20/20. 

I"m gonna go ahead and throw this beastly little clip here. Now, you can throw in all the justifications - AC/DC is easier, another technique, another tone, less words, etc. Still, can we really listen to this and still think Axl is just physically unable to do a wee bit better with YCBM or RQ? I can't. While it's at a higher pitch for the most part, the rasp technique, the thickness, power, are very reminiscent of 2010, 2006 and the 90's. It's almost as if I could tell those voices come from the same places, places he doesn't seem to be willing to tap into with GNR (even Jungle and other songs where he still kicks ass, it's just not as powerful).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I"m gonna go ahead and throw this beastly little clip here. Now, you can throw in all the justifications - AC/DC is easier, another technique, another tone, less words, etc. Still, can we really listen to this and still think Axl is just physically unable to do a wee bit better with YCBM or RQ? I can't. While it's at a higher pitch for the most part, the rasp technique, the thickness, power, are very reminiscent of 2010, 2006 and the 90's. It's almost as if I could tell those voices come from the same places, places he doesn't seem to be willing to tap into with GNR (even Jungle and other songs where he still kicks ass, it's just not as powerful).

As much as I love the power songs that he just obliterates, I can't help but appreciate the Bon songs more. 

the tone, control and ease in which he sings this is why there should be no excuses with GNR. Look at his face, these vocals aren't stressing him at all...it's just natural. That Mickey nonsense is not natural! It shouldn't happen. 

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

the tone, control and ease in which he sings this is why there should be no excuses with GNR. Look at his face, these vocals aren't stressing him at all...it's just natural. That Mickey nonsense is not natural! It shouldn't happen. 

Waiting for apologists to jump in and justify that Guns' songs are a different beast altogether and are much harder to sing vs AC/DC's.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cheesecake said:

Waiting for apologists to jump in and justify that Guns' songs are a different beast altogether and are much harder to sing vs AC/DC's.

There are gnr songs that make control harder to have bc the phrasing and amount of words to navigate are a tremendous challenge for a singer, but then there's songs like November Rain that have no reason to have high falsetto/ Mickey vocals...the song isn't fast, the words aren't falling right on top of each other. 

It gets harder to make excuses when you listen to Back in Black...nearly impossible for anyone to sing that song at that range and with each line falling right over the next one...how does Axl get the "Don't push your luck just get out of my way" line out...it's amazing and really kills any theory that You Could Be Mine or Paradise City are any more of a challenge than anything on back in black. 

Someone mentioned the vocal coach...I think that's huge to Axl's ACDC success, if he went in and worked with the same coach on GNR material on phrasing and control, tone, and vocal excercises then I have no doubt Axl could at the very least make the entire GNR set sound amazing...maybe not 2010 and maybe not 88-93 but he could eliminate the Mickey vocals and create a more natural and louder projected vocal for the songs we hear him struggle with. 

When I say projection I'm talking about something that's very noticeable when you are watching a show live. 

the audio wasn't great at this show. Axl's voice was a bit hidden in the mix but everyone in that stadium heard the clarity and depth of Axl's vocals on the outro to patience. It was beautiful, his voice soared over the mix and he sounded amazing. These are things I wish he'd do more of especially on songs like November Rain where it sounded like he was mumbling into the microphone. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but for those that went to an ACDC show with Axl, he had to come out really well in the mix. Did his voice project better to you there than at a GNR show? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Maybe the weather play a part? Too hot makes throat dry?

So that means any show besides Houston was hot for him to sing ? Doesnt make sense... We all saying that he sounds better that 2011-2014 era. but IMO in some shows between those dates; he sounds better than this tour... He uses his clean voice more oftenly which sucks... Thats all. His choice 

I'm a bit late to this whole "Axl's voice on recordings-party" but this is how I see it!

When you're there in person, there's so much going on, the excitement is huge, one of your favorite band is up there playing some of your favorite songs and you just enjoy it, you don't analyze it in the same way as you do when watching a periscope stream. A personal example of this was when I saw Slash with Myles in 2015 I thought that the SCOM solo was the best live performance of that solo ever, in fact I updated YouTube like every 5 minutes on the train ride home just to hear it again but when a video of the song from my gig finally got uploaded it was on par if not even worse than most other SCOM solos Slash has played over the years.

And I am also of the opinion that you don't really notice Axl's vocals as much in person since it isn't THAT bad (take Paul Stanley for example, you'll probably notice his bad vocals a lot more in person since it is in many cases a lot worse than Axl's), you might notice it on YCBM for example but overall you most likely will not do that on most songs. What you however will notice is the things that is really good, the LALD and WTTJ screams etc. and that will then color ones opinion on the over all performance. 

But as I said that's just my take on it, the theory that phones don't pick up his actual voice is just stupid. What phones don't record is the experience and the excitement, but they do record Axl's voice.

• Like 1

It's really weird. There are about two or three songs in the ACDC set where Axl switches to Mickey too. I'd really like to know why.

The high pitch scream was never a problem for Axl. He always delivers on the 'Better' breakdown, NR outro, in songs like OTGM, MM and sometimes the RQ outro.

ACDC consists basically of this high pitch scream, he doesn't need to work on melodically complex lines or mid-range singing. Result: He sounds great on ACDC.

GNR is harder IMO because it requires his mid-range much more and he's lost it. The sped up tempo of the songs doesn't help him to catch some breath either.

I'm being fair here. ACDC is easier and fits his range better than his own band.

BUT at the same time, it seems he simply doesn't put any effort and if you compare his current voice to 2010, it's kinda pathetic, it's a parody of himself on stage. The clean voice sounds really bad, especially in pro-shot videos.

If Axl did all he could to bring his best voice but it's simply impossible, ok.

If Axl simply doesn't care and does the Mickey thing due to total lack of interest and preparing then he should retire, fans deserve better.

Edited by maynard

17 hours ago, tsinindy said:

There hasn't been much of anything "awesome" about AC/DC in a long time.  Axl isn't going to change that. 

They are a glorified nostalgia act who pump out shit records to continue touring without being viewed as a nostalgia act.   

Sure they've had a decent song here and there (literally like 2 or 3 in the past 15 years), but that's it.   

I'm missing the "awesomeness" of that sort of ineptitude myself

Really?! ACDC is the best rock band of all time.. they're classic. You clearly don't know nothing about life dude. 

1 minute ago, agustingloger said:

Really?! ACDC is the best rock band of all time.. they're classic. You clearly don't know nothing about life dude. 

Yes, really.  Read what I said.  It is 100% true.  Tell me five good songs they've had in the past 15 years then....

And best rock band ever?  You are the one who can't be serious.

i mean you know Zep, stones, the Who...Hendrix, the Beatles.

Best rock band ever lol

1 hour ago, maynard said:

It's really weird. There are about two or three songs in the ACDC set where Axl switches to Mickey too. I'd really like to know why.

The high pitch scream was never a problem for Axl. He always delivers on the 'Better' breakdown, NR outro, in songs like OTGM, MM and sometimes the RQ outro.

ACDC consists basically of this high pitch scream, he doesn't need to work on melodically complex lines or mid-range singing. Result: He sounds great on ACDC.

GNR is harder IMO because it requires his mid-range much more and he's lost it. The sped up tempo of the songs doesn't help him to catch some breath either.

I'm being fair here. ACDC is easier and fits his range better than his own band.

BUT at the same time, it seems he simply doesn't put any effort and if you compare his current voice to 2010, it's kinda pathetic, it's a parody of himself on stage. The clean voice sounds really bad, especially in pro-shot videos.

If Axl did all he could to bring his best voice but it's simply impossible, ok.

If Axl simply doesn't care and does the Mickey thing due to total lack of interest and preparing then he should retire, fans deserve better.

There's one song he switched to Mickey on and it's TNT

6 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

There's one song he switched to Mickey on and it's TNT

There are at least two others, I guess one it's Touch Too Much. I'm not a fan so I don't know the lesser known songs by name.

But it intrigues me that he does switch to Mickey on ACDC too and it makes it all much more confusing. Maybe it's a matter of capability and not choice, after all. Hard to believe tho.

28 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Yes, really.  Read what I said.  It is 100% true.  Tell me five good songs they've had in the past 15 years then....

And best rock band ever?  You are the one who can't be serious.

i mean you know Zep, stones, the Who...Hendrix, the Beatles.

Best rock band ever lol

The only one i may give to you is Zep. Stones they are on the same level but ACDC'S music is more powerful... much more rock .. tell me any good song of the stones in the past 20 years .. Hendrix is a different style too man are you deaf? And maybe Hendrix as artist was more virtous you can't compare them. I'm not even bother to answer about the who, ACDC sold twice the records Who did so.. and ACDC still sold's out The Who i don't think so.. The beatles were the greatest of music but still different style.. i'm not sure if you know what the hell are you talking about. Maybe last records weren't a hit like BIB but they certainly have good songs 

12 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

The only one i may give to you is Zep. Stones they are on the same level but ACDC'S music is more powerful... much more rock .. tell me any good song of the stones in the past 20 years .. Hendrix is a different style too man are you deaf? And maybe Hendrix as artist was more virtous you can't compare them. I'm not even bother to answer about the who, ACDC sold twice the records Who did so.. and ACDC still sold's out The Who i don't think so.. The beatles were the greatest of music but still different style.. i'm not sure if you know what the hell are you talking about. Maybe last records weren't a hit like BIB but they certainly have good songs 

You know if you'd had said greatest Hard Rock band of all time, I wouldn't have argued with you...though I disagree.

you just have to realize you're in the monitory thinking that AC/DC is a better band than the five I named, bc most people will not agree with you.  But, you certainly have a right to think and like what you want.

My original point stands, there is nothing "awesome" about AC\DC now they are just a glorified nostalgia act at this point.  Don't worry that doesn't mean I think they suck, bc they don't.  But there a difference between reality and fanaticism.  

15 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

You know if you'd had said greatest Hard Rock band of all time, I wouldn't have argued with you...though I disagree.

you just have to realize you're in the monitory thinking that AC/DC is a better band than the five I named, bc most people will not agree with you.  But, you certainly have a right to think and like what you want.

My original point stands, there is nothing "awesome" about AC\DC now they are just a glorified nostalgia act at this point.  Don't worry that doesn't mean I think they suck, bc they don't.  But there a difference between reality and fanaticism.  

I think you can't compare ACDC with the other bands you name bc they play a different style. When I said the greatest rock band i didn't mean they were "better" you just can't say a band is better than other bc is subjective.. but in terms of sales, time they've been playing, hits, and all of that ... i don't think any of those you named can compare to ACDC. I mean maybe the Stones but still is not the same music.. but Zep died long time ago, The beatles i think they're on another level..maybe the term i should have said was "Big" Come on if you say rock  Back in black is the first song it cames to mind! Angus Young is a legend.. they've been playing for how many years and they still kick ass live .. and i can't name a better song than Hells Bells sorry. Maybe Hells Bells live with Axl heheheh 

2 hours ago, maynard said:

There are at least two others, I guess one it's Touch Too Much. I'm not a fan so I don't know the lesser known songs by name.

But it intrigues me that he does switch to Mickey on ACDC too and it makes it all much more confusing. Maybe it's a matter of capability and not choice, after all. Hard to believe tho.

Let There Be Rock, Sin City, Dirty Deeds, Highway To Hell, TNT. All Bon songs and they all appear late on the setlist.

You can also notice that he rasps the shit of the last song with AC/DC.

• Like 1