About Axl's performances

14 minutes ago, maynard said:

In these songs Axl uses his Mickey voice? That's more than I thought.

Defiinitely noticed it on TNT at the London show I went to. Shame because I love that song, but for most other songs Axl sounded fantastic. I think people overstate the disparity between his AC/DC and GNR performances, the songs where he's weak on both are due to the same issues (that mid-range that he struggles with).

• Like 4

I think the thing to remember with ACDC he is more or less sticking with the high range (of course there is some register shifts, but not too many) and so Axl can keep the high raspy stuff going well.

With GnR, he is shifting registers several times in a song (Jungle is classic for that!) which I think does tire him more vocally.

ACDC Axl is amazing to be fair though, and the rasp he has is amazing. I think people wouldn't have believed he could nail Shoot to Thrill and Hells Bells like he did back in the SA tour of 2014 for example where it really did feel like his voice was stuffed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I thought Axl at one point or another figured out how to sing songs he "Mickey'd" with AC/DC with GNR he's stuck in his ways 

Yeah there's definite evidence of him correcting clean voice with rasp on the AC/DC stuff, such as Dirty Deeds, he's consciously fucked that shit right off by the NA tour and rasped it to Hell and back ;) \m/

On 2/22/2017 at 11:31 AM, Amir said:

Defiinitely noticed it on TNT at the London show I went to. Shame because I love that song, but for most other songs Axl sounded fantastic. I think people overstate the disparity between his AC/DC and GNR performances, the songs where he's weak on both are due to the same issues (that mid-range that he struggles with).

Comparing Axl to the USA GNR gigs and a USA ACDC gig (just cause those are when I saw him), I thought his voice was very comparable on certain songs. Songs like Jungle, OTGM, Nightrain, etc were just as good as most of his best ACDC songs.

6 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Songs like Jungle, OTGM, Nightrain, etc were just as good as most of his best ACDC songs.

He nails those songs \m/ Especially Jungle and Out Ta Get Me. Sometimes the verses of Nightrain are a bit off but still always very good overall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexC said:

That Touch too Much was actually pretty decent, definitely the best one out of the three times they performed it. Even Angus fucked the first one up.

being a die hard Bon lover he set the bar soooo high but i give credit to Axl, he is quite close to Bon IMO :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Fuckin a- Axl gives a great performance for a 50+ year old singer. Never have seen a member here yet say they've actually gone to a show, Axl/DC or GnR, and be less than satisfied. 

There was a time

Yep, seen him and sure he doesn't hit all the notes all the time but for fucks sake this is rock n roll which for me is about passion and energy not technical ability...and he still delivers the passion and energy in spades which is all i can ask for.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Yep, seen him and sure he doesn't hit all the notes all the time but for fucks sake this is rock n roll which for me is about passion and energy not technical ability...and he still delivers the passion and energy in spades which is all i can ask for.

He always hits every note. That's never been his problem even on shit performances. Hitting high notes is the one thing he never fails to do.

• Like 2