GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

i really want to see a change of setlist i want to see them take out its so easy and mr brownstone and start off with pretty tied up, perfect crime and aint it fun. I think it should be this.

pretty tied up 

perfect crime

aint it fun

welcome to the jungle

rocket queen

night train 

out ta get me 

double talkin jive 

Dont cry

patience 

knockin on heavens door

sweet child o mine

paradise city 

november rain 

Wild horses 

coma 

Breakdown 

Estranged 

live and let die

so fine 

Edited by Mary Cochrane

16 minutes ago, nonok said:

Reckless Life could work, but I'm not a big fan of that song, so... more power to those who are. Move to the City would also sound good if he pushes himself a bit, Bad Obsession will definitely sound great vocals-wise, but I'm not sure the band (coughFrankcough) could get it right. It's too much cowbell and rock n' roll for poor ol' Frank. Where will they find strippers for the ginger to grind with? Can he even grind anymore? Will he wear the red blazer and shorts (I personally don't want to see that get-up at present times)? Will they make Mellissa be the stripper so her hair will be in contrast with Axl's clothes? And who's going to play the harmonica? So many questions. :lol:

Agree about KOHD, the only version I'm a fan of is the one from the AFD5, after that it became a sort of typical grandiose power rock ballad/festive thing that has just gotten worse with time.

Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of questions :lol:

Finding the strippers wouldn't be that hard I think. Melissa definitely couldn't be one of them because she doesn't dance, she just jumps around like an ecstasy addict. Axl mights still be able to grind but it may look slightly less sexy than back in the 90's, lol. The blazer could do a triumphant return but please Axl, keep your damn pants on! Maybe Melissa could replicate the harmonica with her computers (:suspicious:) or Dizzy could play it, I mean he's needed in less than half of the songs and just jerks around the rest of the time, he should earn his salary.

@Mary Cochrane I like that setlist overall (Pretty Tied Up, Perfect Crime, So Fine and Breakdown would be nice additions) but why can't we get rid of KOHD even in fantasy setlists? :(

25 minutes ago, qwerty123 said:

Since there seems to be some ranting going over here, can I vent a little bit too?

So about the setlist, I've always forced myself to be open-minded and think like "It's ok if they play 3-4 CD songs. It's so that Axl doesn't feel like the past 20 years were a waste, it makes him happy. And Slash makes them sound OK now :)". But you know what? NO. I'm lying to myself. The fact that you can go to a concert and NOT HEAR Don't cry and My Michelle, but get Better and TIL and CD is NOT OKAY.

If you tell someone "Better is a staple, but Don't Cry is not", you'll realize how RIDICULOUS that sounds.

Just cut down KOHD to 6-7 minutes and then play both Patience/Don't cry or add in My michelle or Out ta get me as staples!
And then, when they bring in Angus for a few songs, or they're late because of traffic or whatever and they need to cut down the setlist, the song they decide to cut is COMA??????? REALLY???? Yet the CD songs are immune to ever being cut. 

I feel like I can never talk about badly about the CD songs on the main forum because for some people, if you don't like CD then you're not a TrU fAn. I've tried to like that album, I honestly have, and I just can't. The fact that true GNR classics are being cut to make room for CD songs and covers is insane to me. (However, I'd have no problem with CD songs if Don't Cry/Patience/OTGM/Michelle were played every night)

Something else I neee to vent about...I haven't noticed this in videos until recently because usually the one filming is not focusing on fortus, and neithar am I...but why is he constantly punching his guitar? I just watched a video of November Rain and for some reason he was freaking punching his guitar, and it was during the slow part of the song, not even at the end solo! Like, relax dude...

Sweet Child O' Mine...I will be singing along to this song no matter what BUT I think that maybe if they try playing the song slower like in the early demo, Axl may be able to sing at a lower register, and Slash may become interested it again since the demo has a much heavier feel to it.

OK I'M DONE. 
Btw, I am one of those people who is extremely grateful for this reunion and who still sees Axl and Slash on the same stage and thinks "wow". When I finally get to see them for the first time this summer, I know I will have a great time no matter what! Just feels good to let this stuff out for once with no filter!!!

I agree with everything you said setlist wise. I find it especially annoying that Out Ta Get Me is not staple because both Axl and Slash always sound amazing on it.

The Fortus thing, I think he even said lately in one of those videos he did speaking about his guitars that he's broken a few guitars strumming like that. Maybe he's just an idiot :shrugs:

28 minutes ago, Alja said:

Hello, newbie here. 

Kinda like this thread, so I leave this there.

I haven`t ever met Steven personally. I believe him everything what he said, but, by me, there is some more because...

I cannot explain it exactly by words... the thing is I work with brain-trauma people in my PhD. and I also meet them routinely in work, so I will try to describe their typical features: If you watch late interviews with Steven, you can get that "brain damage vibe", you can even "see it between lines" in interview. Imagine that Steven like 3-5 years old child in grown-up adult body. It can happen to anyone after stroke (like Steven) or trauma or prolonged lack of oxygen or other reasons. It does some changes to personality, but mostly it just sharpen previous traits. If someone was never emotionally grown-up, this will be bad. The thing is that although they have grown up body, they "understands" themselves as grown ups, but they are not. Their adult behavior is like a 5 years old trying to behave like grown up. It is funny when it`s a little human, but not an adult-body human. They are completely artless natures and if they try to lie, they lie transparently like 5yo (and are very surprised that everyone can clearly see it, sometimes adorable AF, sometimes annoying). The second difficult on them is that sometimes they are brave like lions when it comes to fight for what they see is right (with 5yo completely simple logic) but in a second they understand that situation is too complex for them to make decision good for them, and they understand that somehow people around them would do better decision for them (if they are lucky, they are surrounded by loving selfless near ones, not bloodsuckers or manipulators) and they are adorably helpless then. They can love you with all their heart like 5yo and in a second vigorously hate you and then feel guilty because they love you. Adorably, selflessly, genuinely.

The other danger in contact with people like this is that if you show them some attention and care, they can be incredibly sticky stick and demanding (mainly because you are "big bro" for them, the one who knows what is right and how to do things. They don`t ask. They stick.). You can love your big 5yo little bro from the deepest depth of your heart, but you are not required to take him with you everywhere. I also like my brain damaged patients. Sometimes a talk with these people makes you to rethink life (or plainly enjoy their spontaneity and childish jokes, if they are not turned sour or throw a tantrum). But then I need huge rest alone. Families of my patients are also often exhausted with their loved ones. And my people live in calm, safe environment (they enjoy if things stay the same and predictable, changes are difficult to get for them and to adapt). Big world tour is huge load for anyone. Many interests, many changes, many people with different intentions... These people are gullible and blind to bad intentions or/and easy to convince! Question is that if it`s good for any sake (desire, even after hard work, fans, cash grab, anything) to expose someone that fragile to this for longer time. As an extra to "my people", add fragility of ex-junkie. I wouldn`t do it to my beloved big little bro. Even if I left him shattered for not taking him to the adventure. And with all the answers he summed up with his plain simple logic. 

My two cents and point of view based on my experience.

That's a very interesting perspective. I don't feel Steven is mentally stuck as a 3-5 year old (looks more like a 13-15 year old to me) but he's definitely not as mature as he's supposed to be for his age.

I totally disagree with the not taking him on tour thing, though. He's toured the world for many years with Adler's Appetite. The difference now is he would have a lot of commodities that he didn't have with his band, he doesn't have the drugs and booze screwing him as back in the day and also the guys he'd be playing with and the huge crowds would make it all worth it to him and he'd be extremely happy.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qwerty123 said:

Since there seems to be some ranting going over here, can I vent a little bit too?

So about the setlist, I've always forced myself to be open-minded and think like "It's ok if they play 3-4 CD songs. It's so that Axl doesn't feel like the past 20 years were a waste, it makes him happy. And Slash makes them sound OK now :)". But you know what? NO. I'm lying to myself. The fact that you can go to a concert and NOT HEAR Don't cry and My Michelle, but get Better and TIL and CD is NOT OKAY.

If you tell someone "Better is a staple, but Don't Cry is not", you'll realize how RIDICULOUS that sounds.

Just cut down KOHD to 6-7 minutes and then play both Patience/Don't cry or add in My michelle or Out ta get me as staples!
And then, when they bring in Angus for a few songs, or they're late because of traffic or whatever and they need to cut down the setlist, the song they decide to cut is COMA??????? REALLY???? Yet the CD songs are immune to ever being cut. 

I feel like I can never talk about badly about the CD songs on the main forum because for some people, if you don't like CD then you're not a TrU fAn. I've tried to like that album, I honestly have, and I just can't. The fact that true GNR classics are being cut to make room for CD songs and covers is insane to me. (However, I'd have no problem with CD songs if Don't Cry/Patience/OTGM/Michelle were played every night)

Something else I neee to vent about...I haven't noticed this in videos until recently because usually the one filming is not focusing on fortus, and neithar am I...but why is he constantly punching his guitar? I just watched a video of November Rain and for some reason he was freaking punching his guitar, and it was during the slow part of the song, not even at the end solo! Like, relax dude...

Sweet Child O' Mine...I will be singing along to this song no matter what BUT I think that maybe if they try playing the song slower like in the early demo, Axl may be able to sing at a lower register, and Slash may become interested it again since the demo has a much heavier feel to it.

OK I'M DONE. 
Btw, I am one of those people who is extremely grateful for this reunion and who still sees Axl and Slash on the same stage and thinks "wow". When I finally get to see them for the first time this summer, I know I will have a great time no matter what! Just feels good to let this stuff out for once with no filter!!!

Wow, I agree with every word you said! You said a mouthful! I'm glad Steven opened his mouth, it seems that everyone decided to do it too and very well done!

Edited by dgnr
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I totally disagree with the not taking him on tour thing, though. He's toured the world for many years with Adler's Appetite. The difference now is he would have a lot of commodities that he didn't have with his band, he doesn't have the drugs and booze screwing him as back in the day and also the guys he'd be playing with and the huge crowds would make it all worth it to him and he'd be extremely happy.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! :)

Steven was lucky to have this happy, easy going personality since ever (otherwise it might be pure sour hell). NILT is huge tour, even there are many ex-junkies and ever sober people, I don`t think there is no drugs. The bigger the tour is, the bigger pressure. You can create safe environment easier if you tour with few people (staff) on small venues. Also it is easier to adapt program to main star than to one of the drummers. Brain damaged people can act pretty "normal" as soon as they are not under pressure and in known situation (and/or backed up). I repeat I don`t know him personally, but more difficult situation is, the more childish they are. I think that his occasional appearance is the balance between playing with Guns and staying (emotionally) safe and sober. Every ex-junkie tells you that they stay junkies forever and its more difficult to not to fail to "easy solution" when times are difficult (and drugs are available, if you want, always) than if you never started. 

The other big question (for me) is Axl-Steven interpersonal dynamics under pressure (longer exposure), that could still be volatile and Steven would be the one to get badly hurt. The one thing is happiest-ever public visible Steven on drums in big venue a other thing is that a day has 22 more hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alja said:

Hello, newbie here. 

I haven`t ever met Steven personally. I believe him everything what he said, but, by me, there is some more because...

I cannot explain it exactly by words... the thing is I work with brain-trauma people in my PhD. and I also meet them routinely in work, so I will try to describe their typical features: If you watch late interviews with Steven, you can get that "brain damage vibe", you can even "see it between lines" in interview. Imagine that Steven like 3-5 years old child in grown-up adult body. It can happen to anyone after stroke (like Steven) or trauma or prolonged lack of oxygen or other reasons. It does some changes to personality, but mostly it just sharpen previous traits. If someone was never emotionally grown-up, this will be bad. The thing is that although they have grown up body, they "understands" themselves as grown ups, but they are not. Their adult behavior is like a 5 years old trying to behave like grown up. It is funny when it`s a little human, but not an adult-body human. They are completely artless natures and if they try to lie, they lie transparently like 5yo (and are very surprised that everyone can clearly see it, sometimes adorable AF, sometimes annoying). The second difficult on them is that sometimes they are brave like lions when it comes to fight for what they see is right (with 5yo completely simple logic) but in a second they understand that situation is too complex for them to make decision good for them, and they understand that somehow people around them would do better decision for them (if they are lucky, they are surrounded by loving selfless near ones, not bloodsuckers or manipulators) and they are adorably helpless then. They can love you with all their heart like 5yo and in a second vigorously hate you and then feel guilty because they love you. Adorably, selflessly, genuinely.

The other danger in contact with people like this is that if you show them some attention and care, they can be incredibly sticky stick and demanding (mainly because you are "big bro" for them, the one who knows what is right and how to do things. They don`t ask. They stick.). You can love your big 5yo little bro from the deepest depth of your heart, but you are not required to take him with you everywhere. I also like my brain damaged patients. Sometimes a talk with these people makes you to rethink life (or plainly enjoy their spontaneity and childish jokes, if they are not turned sour or throw a tantrum). But then I need huge rest alone. Families of my patients are also often exhausted with their loved ones. And my people live in calm, safe environment (they enjoy if things stay the same and predictable, changes are difficult to get for them and to adapt). Big world tour is huge load for anyone. Many interests, many changes, many people with different intentions... These people are gullible and blind to bad intentions or/and easy to convince! Question is that if it`s good for any sake (desire, even after hard work, fans, cash grab, anything) to expose someone that fragile to this for longer time. As an extra to "my people", add fragility of ex-junkie. I wouldn`t do it to my beloved big little bro. Even if I left him shattered for not taking him to the adventure. And with all the answers he summed up with his plain simple logic. 

Welcome to the thread (and the forum). Very interesting post! Steven always gave the impression of an emotionally and mentally immature person (and his bandmates have described him this way) and I've thought about the possible damage that his long lasting drug use may have caused, but it never occurred to me that a mild stroke can have such an effect on a person like that.

Also, welcome @melina i. Glad you finally decided to post ;)

------

Please, no strippers...  I guess they went well with the sleaze of the club days, but not now :D

• Like 3

On 2/17/2017 at 1:47 AM, Ubukitty said:

I think Susan is really missing having her own career and as for Meegan has anyone else here noticed she seems really shy. It seems like she hides her face a lot in pics.

Susan has a swimsuit line, I think. I think she's very sweet, tbh. Just supporting her husband and stuff. But everyone's gonna hate on the girlfriends/wives/whatever. :shrugs:<_<

17 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Wow, I agree with every word you said! You said a mouthful! I'm glad Steven opened his mouth, it seems that everyone decided to do it too and very well done!

I agree, too. On the contrary, I find myself wary to state that I like Chinese Democracy because so many fans hate it, I don't want to be seen as a fake fan, or something. And I love most of the GNR albums, I really do. But CD was the first album I heard in it's entirety, but not the first songs I heard.

I wish the OG 5 could get back together. I don't want to insult Frank, he's good, but some of his drumming... it's not for me. And then I've heard that this tour is a moneygrab and I just feel sad. But, whatever. It is what it is.

2 hours ago, Alja said:

Hello, newbie here. 

wow, what an interesting take

1 hour ago, blonde_illusion said:

Susan has a swimsuit line, I think. I think she's very sweet, tbh. Just supporting her husband and stuff. But everyone's gonna hate on the girlfriends/wives/whatever. :shrugs:<_<

Not me, I love Perla:rofl-lol::hahafyou:

She's in the ex's category now but whatever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blonde_illusion said:

Yeah I checked out her swimsuit line, pretty popular too and yes she seems very sweet as does Meegan. Although I still think she's a little shy, I think she's perfect for Slash, they make such a great couple. I never really cared for Perla mostly because she was an Axl basher but then again whatever.

• Like 3

Just now, Ubukitty said:

Yeah I checked out her swimsuit line, pretty popular too and yes she seems very sweet as does Meegan. Although I still think she's a little shy, I think she's perfect for Slash, they make such a great couple. I never really cared for Perla mostly because she was an Axl basher but then again whatever.

I looked at her (Perla's) instagram and she seems cool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blonde_illusion said:

I looked at her (Perla's) instagram and she seems cool.

She's very outspoken, which is good and seemed to be taking the divorce well until the whole "We were never really married thing" happened. I just hope for all involved that it goes over smoothly. Especially the children.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ubukitty said:

She's very outspoken, which is good and seemed to be taking the divorce well until the whole "We were never really married thing" happened. I just hope for all involved that it goes over smoothly. Especially the children.

My thoughts are the same. I was going to say something about this but didn't. But I hope it's gone well, considering things. Personally speaking as a child of divorce, my parents don't speak at all and it really sucks. Nobody has to be friends, but at last civil for the children's sake. It's really nerve-wracking, when there's little to no communication between adults. That's been my experience, anyways. Allegedly she and Slash are/were business partners and on that front, they're good? IDK. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alja said:

Hello, newbie here. 

This has got to be the most insightful post about this issue to date.  

@sanity_lost I was just going to write a long-ass comment about how it'd be extremely gullible to believe Steven's every word, but you saved me the trouble. Awesome post, my thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

I mean, "They didn't kick me out for doing drugs, Axl just didn't want me there", really? With all the different takes on this topic we have, his is the least plausible. That's just moronic.

"No, Izzy's not the heart and soul, I am", sure man, sure. Whatever floats your boat. :lol:

"I couldn't even recognize Brownstone until the chorus" I know Frank sucks, but that's just bitterness talking here. No matter how much he tries to play the "It is what it is" card, he still holds resentment towards them. Kudos for speaking his mind, but he obviously didn't speak enough. Or he's more sly than we thought and he's trying to deliberately sway more fans into his lane and antagonize them towards Guns. Both parties suck imo.

"The band fell apart because Axl wanted to take control and be the only one who gets paid" :facepalm: Do I really need to comment on this?

Steven may believe in his version of events, but that doesn't mean it's exactly what happened. Of course, it doesn't excuse the band for what they did to him and are doing to fans right now, but people are too quick to jump on the pity bandwagon. Did you guys forget the discussions about his mom's book from the original thread?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nonok said:

I mean, "They didn't kick me out for doing drugs, Axl just didn't want me there", really? With all the different takes on this topic we have, his is the least plausible. That's just moronic.

Not at all. IMO, when he says so he's referring to that unfortunate incident with Erin, Axl's ex. Maybe Steven won't go into detail because he doesn't want to add more gas to the fire. 

Axl doesn't like him and I guess he tried to play nice and kumbaya with the rest of the guys at the beginning but as soon as Steven hurt his back he took that chance to kick him out, again. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mary Cochrane said:

i really want to see a change of setlist i want to see them take out its so easy and mr brownstone and start off with pretty tied up, perfect crime and aint it fun. I think it should be this.

pretty tied up 

perfect crime

aint it fun

welcome to the jungle

rocket queen

night train 

out ta get me 

double talkin jive 

Dont cry

patience 

knockin on heavens door

sweet child o mine

paradise city 

november rain 

Wild horses 

coma 

Breakdown 

Estranged 

live and let die

so fine 

I really like this setlist, especially since I saw them at Dodger Stadium last year and am looking forward to a different setlist this year at the Gorge. This my friend would make me very happy.

• Like 1

Hello eveyone! Another newbie here! I´ve read the whole thread and I must say you guys are amazing! I´ve learnt an awful lot of stuff :wow:

Anyways, I'm a bit lazy with posting but I love reading and I hope I can contribute from time to time.

About the Steven issue, regardless of who's right and wrong, it juts saddens me they can't work things out. I was lucky to see Steven in BA and he was the highlight of the show - the audience just went wild with his appearance. The fact that he's not a bigger part of the reunion is everyone's loss imo.

Also, what he said about Axl not knowing he was going to be in the first show in BA makes me wonder how this band communicates with one another. And how isolated Axl really is!

Sorry about not tagging or anything. I still don't know how all this works (promise to learn)

14 minutes ago, solstar said:

Hello eveyone! Another newbie here! I´ve read the whole thread and I must say you guys are amazing! I´ve learnt an awful lot of stuff :wow:

Anyways, I'm a bit lazy with posting but I love reading and I hope I can contribute from time to time.

About the Steven issue, regardless of who's right and wrong, it juts saddens me they can't work things out. I was lucky to see Steven in BA and he was the highlight of the show - the audience just went wild with his appearance. The fact that he's not a bigger part of the reunion is everyone's loss imo.

Also, what he said about Axl not knowing he was going to be in the first show in BA makes me wonder how this band communicates with one another. And how isolated Axl really is!

Sorry about not tagging or anything. I still don't know how all this works (promise to learn)

Welcome @solstar and I hope you enjoy it here.