GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

9 hours ago, blonde_illusion said:

Susan has a swimsuit line, I think. I think she's very sweet, tbh. Just supporting her husband and stuff. But everyone's gonna hate on the girlfriends/wives/whatever. :shrugs:<_<

I really like Susan, she seems very sweet indeed and seems to care about Steven more than her husband :P

8 hours ago, Jane M. said:

Not me, I love Perla:rofl-lol::hahafyou:

She's in the ex's category now but whatever.

Well, I LOVE Perla but I'm biased. I met her personally and she was absolutely wonderful to me, almost treated me as part of her family. I know a lot of people can't stand her 'cause she's pretty crazy and very outspoken but she has a really big heart IMO.

9 hours ago, blonde_illusion said:

I agree, too. On the contrary, I find myself wary to state that I like Chinese Democracy because so many fans hate it, I don't want to be seen as a fake fan, or something. And I love most of the GNR albums, I really do. But CD was the first album I heard in it's entirety, but not the first songs I heard.

Hey, don't think that. Personally, I don't consider CD to be GNR but I like the album as well. It's music and there's no reason why you couldn't like it. Many fans don't like what Slash, Duff, Izzy and/or Steven have done outside GNR, it's a matter of taste, there's no wright or wrong opinion. Don't be ashamed to express your opinion :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, solstar said:

Hello eveyone! Another newbie here! I´ve read the whole thread and I must say you guys are amazing! I´ve learnt an awful lot of stuff :wow:

Anyways, I'm a bit lazy with posting but I love reading and I hope I can contribute from time to time.

About the Steven issue, regardless of who's right and wrong, it juts saddens me they can't work things out. I was lucky to see Steven in BA and he was the highlight of the show - the audience just went wild with his appearance. The fact that he's not a bigger part of the reunion is everyone's loss imo.

Also, what he said about Axl not knowing he was going to be in the first show in BA makes me wonder how this band communicates with one another. And how isolated Axl really is!

Sorry about not tagging or anything. I still don't know how all this works (promise to learn)

Hey, welcome!! 

I couldn't agree more, I was at both shows in Buenos Aires and those moments of Steven joining the band were the highlights for me as well. I was very happy to see the crowd was so interested in seeing him and so excited when he finally came out. The band didn't give a shit about it and took him out after one song (which was devastating to me) but I hope he felt our love and it meant something to him.

About what you say of Axl being isolated and all that, here in Buenos Aires for some reason he was in a different hotel than the rest of the band. That was pretty weird and maybe it contributed to the misunderstanding.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I really like Susan, she seems very sweet indeed and seems to care about Steven more than her husband :P

Well, I LOVE Perla but I'm biased. I met her personally and she was absolutely wonderful to me, almost treated me as part of her family. I know a lot of people can't stand her 'cause she's pretty crazy and very outspoken but she has a really big heart IMO.

Hey, don't think that. Personally, I don't consider CD to be GNR but I like the album as well. It's music and there's no reason why you couldn't like it. Many fans don't like what Slash, Duff, Izzy and/or Steven have done outside GNR, it's a matter of taste, there's no wright or wrong opinion. Don't be ashamed to express your opinion :thumbsup:

Hey, welcome!! 

I couldn't agree more, I was at both shows in Buenos Aires and those moments of Steven joining the band were the highlights for me as well. I was very happy to see the crowd was so interested in seeing him and so excited when he finally came out. The band didn't give a shit about it and took him out after one song (which was devastating to me) but I hope he felt our love and it meant something to him.

About what you say of Axl being isolated and all that, here in Buenos Aires for some reason he was in a different hotel than the rest of the band. That was pretty weird and maybe it contributed to the misunderstanding.

You seem to be pretty nice, thanks for the response.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jane M. said:

Not at all. IMO, when he says so he's referring to that unfortunate incident with Erin, Axl's ex. Maybe Steven won't go into detail because he doesn't want to add more gas to the fire. 

Axl doesn't like him and I guess he tried to play nice and kumbaya with the rest of the guys at the beginning but as soon as Steven hurt his back he took that chance to kick him out, again. 

I don't think Steven was referring to the speedball incident, because he presented his firing as part of an Axl plan to take control, kick everyone else out and change the direction of the band by adding piano etc, and linked his case with the cases of the other members who quit later. It's Steven's truth (at least at this point, because he has changed his version a couple of times) and he believes it, but it doesn't mean it is the truth. It's true of course that Axl wanted to take control, but it isn't true 1) that he wanted to kick out the rest of the band and be left alone (even though his actions, to a large extent, eventually led to that), 2) that Steven's case was similar to Izzy's or Slash's; the control issue didn't have anything to do with Steven being put under a contract and subsequently fired; it was, by all other accounts and interviews (especially of that era), a collective decision, and Axl and Slash had their own reasons each for wanting Steven out of the band.

It's also probably true that Axl doesn't like Steven, but it has been the other way around too in some form. Steven has always had this childlike love/hate (or more likely admiration/hate) thing towards Axl.

3 hours ago, solstar said:

Hello eveyone! Another newbie here! I´ve read the whole thread and I must say you guys are amazing! I´ve learnt an awful lot of stuff :wow:

Anyways, I'm a bit lazy with posting but I love reading and I hope I can contribute from time to time.

About the Steven issue, regardless of who's right and wrong, it juts saddens me they can't work things out. I was lucky to see Steven in BA and he was the highlight of the show - the audience just went wild with his appearance. The fact that he's not a bigger part of the reunion is everyone's loss imo.

Also, what he said about Axl not knowing he was going to be in the first show in BA makes me wonder how this band communicates with one another. And how isolated Axl really is!

Sorry about not tagging or anything. I still don't know how all this works (promise to learn)

Welcome :) 

My understanding from what Steven said is that he was supposed to play only at the second show, but he showed up at the first because his whole family was there and he wanted to play both shows. So he really wasn't expected to be there, but of course Axl didn't have to act like a dick because of that :unsure:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

Thanks @Ubukitty @BorderlineCrazy and @Blackstar for the warm welcome!

(I´ve finally found out how to tag yay :lol:)

1 hour ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Hey, welcome!! 

Right! Although I was talking more about a kinda mental isolation than a physical one. I mean, Axl supposedly didn't know that Steven was there that night, he supposedly didn't know that Duff or Izzy had tried to reach him in the past, just now he's even admitted that he didn't know McBob had made the Sydney mistake. What is up with that? He seems to be missing on an awful lot. Kinda worrying but annoying at the same time :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Welcome :) 

My understanding from what Steven said is that he was supposed to play only at the second show, but he showed up at the first because his whole family was there and he wanted to play both shows. So he really wasn't expected to be there, but of course Axl didn't have to act like a dick because of that :unsure:

Right. The situation is really confusing actually. Granted we don't know what the arrangement actually was and who participated in it, but here in BA we fans figured Steven was going to be there - it was in the news, in the social media, it was no secret at all. He was spotted in the hotel where the band was staying and he went to the arena in the same van as the band, so Slash and Duff must have known he was going to play the first night. Also, if he had invited his whole family to the event, I reckon he must have been quite sure he was going to play.  Again, he could have misundertood what the actual deal was, but even if that was the case, the rest of the band kinda played along with it. :shrugs:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I love this. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Nice story! I kinda liked Perla too, she seemed to be like "what you see is what you get" and nothing else. Whatever, I don't really care about wives/gfs lives, but I always wonder what does Meegan think of all the things Slash said about her on his bio. :facepalm:

Edited by Darkenchantress
  • Like 1

@Alja Didn't want to quote your whole post due to the length, but I know where you are coming from. I have had those same type of feelings my whole life. People who haven't experienced it don't understand how it makes you feel. I also came from a good family, but did not have their support when I ran into problems in my life, which is what got me into GNR and why I can relate to Axl. Thanks for posting and welcome here. :lol:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of questions :lol:

Finding the strippers wouldn't be that hard I think. Melissa definitely couldn't be one of them because she doesn't dance, she just jumps around like an ecstasy addict. Axl mights still be able to grind but it may look slightly less sexy than back in the 90's, lol. The blazer could do a triumphant return but please Axl, keep your damn pants on! Maybe Melissa could replicate the harmonica with her computers (:suspicious:) or Dizzy could play it, I mean he's needed in less than half of the songs and just jerks around the rest of the time, he should earn his salary.

@Mary Cochrane I like that setlist overall (Pretty Tied Up, Perfect Crime, So Fine and Breakdown would be nice additions) but why can't we get rid of KOHD even in fantasy setlists? :(

I agree with everything you said setlist wise. I find it especially annoying that Out Ta Get Me is not staple because both Axl and Slash always sound amazing on it.

The Fortus thing, I think he even said lately in one of those videos he did speaking about his guitars that he's broken a few guitars strumming like that. Maybe he's just an idiot :shrugs:

That's a very interesting perspective. I don't feel Steven is mentally stuck as a 3-5 year old (looks more like a 13-15 year old to me) but he's definitely not as mature as he's supposed to be for his age.

I totally disagree with the not taking him on tour thing, though. He's toured the world for many years with Adler's Appetite. The difference now is he would have a lot of commodities that he didn't have with his band, he doesn't have the drugs and booze screwing him as back in the day and also the guys he'd be playing with and the huge crowds would make it all worth it to him and he'd be extremely happy.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! :)

Thank You So Much for your opinion on my setlist idea :) i actually agree maybe we can take out KOHD and replace with... dead horse? Or new rose? Just thought it would be weird to have two songs with horse in the name OR! you could replace it with locomotive :) about OTGM i completely agree it should be a staple song its a great song for them to perform! 

Edited by Mary Cochrane
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ubukitty said:

I really like this setlist, especially since I saw them at Dodger Stadium last year and am looking forward to a different setlist this year at the Gorge. This my friend would make me very happy.

Thank You thats very kind! How was it last year? i would die to see them i hope they come to the UK :) and hope they change the setlist up glad you like my setlist friend!! ? 

17 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

@Alja, I am tagging you instead of quoting because I want to discuss a bit of what you said in both posts and that is a lot of text that I didn't want to make people scroll down through. I lot of interesting text from a great perspective! I am mostly trying to feel way through my thoughts on this and I am inflicting it all of you in this thread. Sorry!

I don't know Steven at all. I only know him from interviews, articles, videos and his book. I am sure that we all know that the public face we get of someone is only a small part of who they are so obviously anything I say following this is purely my own opinion and could be (and likely is) completely wrong.

I absolutely think that Steven was being completely honest in his interview. He always came across to me as someone with no filter who will speak his mind. Most people wish they could be like that, though most people also realize there is a reason we have filters. While I do think that Steven believed in everything he said, I am just not sure how much that I believe his take on what happened. I believe Steven believed it happened like that and I think that it could very well have happened just like he said it did but I don't have enough trust in it for it to sway my opinion or make me view things differently (not his account would sway my opinion on things if it was 100% verifiably true but that isn't the topic I am broaching here). I don't think Steven is a dishonest person at all, but I can't help but question his take on things. As I've said, I've read his book. His book and various articles and interviews I found through databases was my introduction when I started my deep dive into being a Guns N' Roses fan. I am not sure if this impression is completely fair. It is just one I formed during that time.

Next thought is the Axl-Steven interpersonal dynamic. Steven clearly has a love-hate feelings when it comes to Axl. Steven is pretty upfront about his surface feelings. Just listening to the interview the back and forth hate him/love him could give you whiplash. I am not sure if there are many people who can deal with having that directed at them to their face for long.  Especially someone with Axl's own volatile personality, even if Axl is much better than he used to be (which is another conversation entirely, is Axl better or does he just have better handlers?). The band and managers could probably work around the Axl-Steven interaction some. Axl closets himself most of the time so it'd only be at the venue/on the plane where they have to deal with each other (not much different than the good old days). However that would have to put an incredible amount to strain and stress on everyone else.

I like Steven and I feel bad for him. He was really hurt by this. I can't blame anyone for it though as I don't really know what happened. Was what they said really their plan? Did they lead him on, on purpose? On Accident?  Sometimes people try to do the nice thing instead of harsh thing and it makes things more painful and worse in the end. Sometimes there is no one to blame. Shit happens.

Only you can control your happiness. You can't rely on others for your happiness. One thing inspiring about Steven is that he is doing the best he can to be in charge of his own happiness. There is always set backs and road blocks in life and Steven is very obviously working though them when he hits them. That is a great thing.

Hmm... rambling incoherent mess. Sorry.

@sanity_lostI like your incoherent mess. 

I have never said Steven is not honest. Actually you don`t meet many people who are as honest in what they express from their inside than brain damaged ones (or mentally disabled, my other favs). They understand things literally, you have to avoid irony or sarcasm when you talk to them. The trick is to do some extra research, because the way they process information can be too simplified. There is trap in their mind that when it starts working, as much difficult is to start it, the same difficult is put it to stop. They overthink (or more, repeat) things in their mind as much as they can change their true (like playing the same tape destroys content, or they stick on irrelevant details and blow them up. They also don`t deal with the fact sometimes information do not fit. Or make up things to fill gaps in their reasoning). They are not aware of it. With some it is thin ice always. Also it is thin ice when it interferes with the way they wish things would work. What I learned is never to lie to them and never sugarcoat anything. With all the problems with short-term memory, they remember when you mislead them (or feel mislead. That`s that thin ice). They are their own kind of volatile (or better emotional roller-coaster, love-hate, happy-hurt,...). I got sample of Steven`s book but never the whole one, mostly because I did not enjoy the language and it sounded whiny, I dug elsewhere. Internet is full. Steven whined often and loudly. 

As I said Steven is lucky to have happy-go-lucky personality since ever (many sources). He is likable to most people he meets, their light-headed little bro. He maintains it through damage he suffers. It is living in hard mode for everyone around. It is great and a big credit to people who support him. (It`s my biggest goal to help to find sense of living and ability to be happy to someone after crippling incident.) Other amazing child trait is ability to stand up and try again and again after fall without getting sour or giving up. 

I think managers make huge addition that communication between members in past was one huge failure and I hope reunited members are aware of it. 

Both Axl and Steven are described as 100% authentic people. The dynamics by me comes with huge intelligence gap between these two. You have super-smart visionary Axl who likes to talk his big (abstract) ideas (and I bet he has sense of humor based on abstraction, irony and sarcasm. Right now I imagine him with all that vivid expression and gestures). On the other hand you have simple, from day to day living Steven (this is also something usually accented with brain damage). Most people are somewhere between this. I strongly assume Steven never understood sarcasm or abstract jokes based on wordplay. Or complex problems with unclear solutions. As soon as you have some fun with others (and I enjoy sarcasm and wordplay and humor you don`t always get at first the most) the simple one feels bullied. If you discuss anything beyond his imagination, he starts to feel rejected (and bullied). With grounded guys like Slash or Duff it might be Axl to bring it on. You can bully them unconsciously too easy. Or directly, if you run nerves. Axl-Steven dynamics started to make sense to me after I had to interact with one co-worker in (luckily) limited time job (both completely sober). The best solution I am able in situation like this is to limit contact and hope that I don`t have to include that person in any bigger plans. The thing is that the less smart one will always pull the shorter end. It`s not nice, I know. I also know that for many Steven is likable because he is weaker from these two and still chimp-happy on drums and people tend to sympathize with weaker ones (You either don`t hurt that person because you just don`t want to, other reason to avoid interaction is not to get reputation lost with hurting someone defenseless to your weapons=not to be an asshole from whatever reason). Love-hate relation maybe comes also from intuitive sticking to someone with bold personality and vision and feeling of not being appreciated most of the time. Maybe also because of his bold personality Steven focused all hate from group rejection to Axl (repeatedly declared as group decision).

(to add some of my mess and make a little tidy-up in my thoughts. Although it`s most time about individual experience and feelings about people you feel your friends although you never met anyway.) 

• Like 2

So there's a new thread?. Wow I missed a lot while taking my break. A bit upset over the no manips cause I always enjoyed them but whatever. After taking a break from mygnrforum I've decided to come back but a lot seems to have changed... I'll definitely always be reading what you have to say even if I don't say anything myself ladies xx

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mary Cochrane said:

Thank You thats very kind! How was it last year? i would die to see them i hope they come to the UK :) and hope they change the setlist up glad you like my setlist friend!! ? 

The show was awesome of course, seeing them for the first time in 20 something years. I was a happy girl but I am hoping for a different setlist this year. I hope you get the opportunity to see them soon.

• Like 2