GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

2 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I agree that the current tour is a partnership between the big 3 and compromises and differences are made between them. My inclantion is that Axls personality and the fact he has been holding up the name for so long affords him more leverage than perhaps Slash and Duff not to say he is running the show as I would therefor have to believe the others to be pushovers, which I don't.

I am not sure why I have it in my head that Axl is the stumbling block for some anniversary gigs, perhaps because he seems the keenest to evolve, try new things in music. I have him down as not really being overly sentimental about appetite, perhaps because those songs have always been a large part or his regular shows. There is the argument that the 2017 tour is in acknowlegment of 30 years and should be seen as reunion enough. 

I guess this is where my what if came from, I would personally love to see even just one night of Appetite being played in full by the 5 and I just see Duff and Slash more open to the idea if they were approached by Izzy and Steven than Axl.

Again something I agree with.  I don't think that the question is wether or not Duff, Axl, and Slash would be amenable to the idea, but if Izzy and Steven were. Well...maybe not so much Steven but definitely Izzy.  Is he even interested in stomping around in old haunts just to please the masses? Does he see any benefit in doing so?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blonde_illusion said:

Why are we, it seems, going on about Steven and Axl and the reunion? I mean, I get it, it's a touchy subject, perhaps. We all want the original five lined up. But shouldn't we be pleased with a reunion at all and let bygones be bygones? Hey, maybe in the future Steven will show up, like in the break in the tour. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but anyways, can't we just enjoy things how they are? :mellow:

I've said this very same thing and I agree with you 100%

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The vibe I've gotten from Axl's interviews in the recent years is that he has fond memories of the early days of the band as much as the other guys and that he feels too that the AFD era was the real thing: he's told stories from those days, he said he missed the process of writing songs etc. He's also said though that it couldn't be repeated because (I'm paraphrasing) the circumstances of that era can't be reproduced and the people have changed. I think he really believes it and he wasn't saying it just as an excuse for not doing the reunion (I also think there's truth to it - I want to see the AFD 5 again even for one show, but I doubt that these five guys can now sit in a room and make music as they did). And I agree that he sees no meaning in anniversary gigs and special occasions.

Apart from the above (and more importantly), Axl's position is more complicated and odd, if we see things from his perspective. The other 4 don't have to justify or denounce anything, they don't have anything to lose, but Axl had a band called GnR all these years and he has this weight to carry. He's comfortable with the current hybrid thing which to him is partly a reunion and partly a continuation, not an attempt of a "resurrection" of the old band. He probably feels that agreeing to a full reunion would equal to him admitting that he failed; and he won't admit it, not just due to ego and stubbornness (he has both), but because imo he doesn't believe he failed; whatever our opinion as fans is on CD, Axl still believes in it (maybe he has some regrets about the production, but he thinks the material is good) and he probably hopes that these songs may have a chance with the public with Slash playing them.

To make a long story short, my guess is that Axl wouldn't do an AFD reunion at this point (ie. this year) even if it was for just one show. I don't rule it out though for some time in the future; I see him doing it when he thinks that it's time to put GnR to rest for good (I think that the semi-reunion is, for him, the beginning of the last chapter of GnR).

I don't want Guns N' Roses to end, ever, but I get what you're saying. What I think would be incredible, if, like the Foo Fighters did with the Wasting Light album... is if Guns did a documentary about making an album, with the original 5 back together. Of course that would never, ever happen, but it would be amazing to see.

I don't want to think about the end of GNR even though Axl could say goodbye tomorrow and (I say this gently) hide in his Malibu mansion and rest on his laurels (ie, royalties and stuff.) But who knows what'll happen. Axl has said he'd liked to record new music, I'm not sure if it would be for a soundtrack or if he meant with the line-up. I'm trying to remember from the China Exchange interview he did. I loathed the interviewer by the way, ugh. Annoying. But anyways. I think it'd be a gift if they all got together and did an album, but who knows. I'd hope that door is starting to open, considering things. Water is under the bridge. Or at least, poking through the dam considering this whole Steven thing. Sorry if I went around in a bit of a circle. I know before I was whining about this thread being about Steven/Axl, but fuck, I wish they would let shit lie and all get together again. God DAMN.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, killuridols said:

oh. and why you weren't? :question:

I was in the crowd both days, lol, it was a crazy mess..... :P

Yeah, I agree with what you say about Axl and Steven and I don't think Slash and Duff are afraid of confronting Axl... not anymore, I guess.

It's more like when you have to deal with someone like Axl, it is better to not confront and try to get to him in another way because confronting him alienates him even more, since he's childish and will just fight for the sake of winning a feud.

Slash said in his book he was not into arguments and that kind of thing. Made him tired and bored, so he avoided it.

Well I'm quite petite so I was afraid I would not survive the pogo... but I'm gonna take courage next time! :lol:

I agree with you about Duff & Slash choosing not to confront Axl so as not to alienate him (that was what I was aiming at in my previous post). But then, I wonder how they deal with him when they do not agree with his decisions. It must be extremely difficult to work with someone you often need to tiptoe around :wacko: For example, I don't think Duff or Slash would have agreed with not letting Steven play his two songs in BA on Nov 4th IF they had had a say in this; however, this did not happen. I wonder if this type of situations happens more often than we know, and what role they play in the decision-making. 

2 hours ago, Archtop said:

I'm just musing really, I know there are plenty of flaws in my scenario, I guess what I'm really asking is, would Axl be the type to play ball if it was the others approaching him?

Maybe, but would the others "gang up" and approach him? They wouldn't do it back in the day, and I'm not sure how they manage stuff now.:shrugs:

2 hours ago, Crazedlioness said:

I think axl is pretty easy going when it comes to some things and if he's happy with how things are going with slash and duff I think hes definitely approachable and he'd agree. But then again I dont think axl RUNS the show. Although he's quite determined in what he wants I think slash has about as much say as him and they compromise quite a bit. 

I get the impression Axl can be easy going maybe as a friend, or when socializing, but I don't think he's the same with GNR related issues, especially when "important" decisions are at stake, like the line-up, the set list, guest appearances, etc. What is your basis for thinking that Slash has as much say as Axl? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

1 hour ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

Again something I agree with.  I don't think that the question is wether or not Duff, Axl, and Slash would be amenable to the idea, but if Izzy and Steven were. Well...maybe not so much Steven but definitely Izzy.  Is he even interested in stomping around in old haunts just to please the masses? Does he see any benefit in doing so?

Well, Izzy did say he is not part of the reunion because they did not want to divide the loot equally, which might mean he would be interested if they did. :shrugs:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, solstar said:

Well I'm quite petite so I was afraid I would not survive the pogo... but I'm gonna take courage next time! :lol:

I agree with you about Duff & Slash choosing not to confront Axl so as not to alienate him (that was what I was aiming at in my previous post). But then, I wonder how they deal with him when they do not agree with his decisions. It must be extremely difficult to work with someone you often need to tiptoe around :wacko: For example, I don't think Duff or Slash would have agreed with not letting Steven play his two songs in BA on Nov 4th IF they had had a say in this; however, this did not happen. I wonder if this type of situations happens more often than we know, and what role they play in the decision-making. 

Maybe, but would the others "gang up" and approach him? They wouldn't do it back in the day, and I'm not sure how they manage stuff now.:shrugs:

I get the impression Axl can be easy going maybe as a friend, or when socializing, but I don't think he's the same with GNR related issues, especially when "important" decisions are at stake, like the line-up, the set list, guest appearances, etc. What is your basis for thinking that Slash has as much say as Axl? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Well, Izzy did say he is not part of the reunion because they did not want to divide the loot equally, which might mean he would be interested if they did. :shrugs:

DIVIDE THE LOOT EQUALLY, MOTHERFUCKERS! BRING IZZY BACK! 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, blonde_illusion said:

I don't want Guns N' Roses to end, ever, but I get what you're saying. What I think would be incredible, if, like the Foo Fighters did with the Wasting Light album... is if Guns did a documentary about making an album, with the original 5 back together. Of course that would never, ever happen, but it would be amazing to see.

I don't want to think about the end of GNR even though Axl could say goodbye tomorrow and (I say this gently) hide in his Malibu mansion and rest on his laurels (ie, royalties and stuff.) But who knows what'll happen. Axl has said he'd liked to record new music, I'm not sure if it would be for a soundtrack or if he meant with the line-up. I'm trying to remember from the China Exchange interview he did. I loathed the interviewer by the way, ugh. Annoying. But anyways. I think it'd be a gift if they all got together and did an album, but who knows. I'd hope that door is starting to open, considering things. Water is under the bridge. Or at least, poking through the dam considering this whole Steven thing. Sorry if I went around in a bit of a circle. I know before I was whining about this thread being about Steven/Axl, but fuck, I wish they would let shit lie and all get together again. God DAMN.

Yes, Axl said in the China Exchange interview that he wants to make a GnR album and I believe he really does (it doesn't mean that it will materialize, though :unsure:- I hope it will). I think that he sees this album as part of the last chapter. From what he said it seems that he wants to make an album analogous to the current lineup, i.e. a kind of hybrid album with CD era unreleased stuff (hoping that Slash will want to play on it) and some new stuff, like a GnR epitome.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, solstar said:

I agree with you about Duff & Slash choosing not to confront Axl so as not to alienate him (that was what I was aiming at in my previous post). But then, I wonder how they deal with him when they do not agree with his decisions. It must be extremely difficult to work with someone you often need to tiptoe around :wacko: For example, I don't think Duff or Slash would have agreed with not letting Steven play his two songs in BA on Nov 4th IF they had had a say in this; however, this did not happen. I wonder if this type of situations happens more often than we know, and what role they play in the decision-.

I think a lot of the decisions and issues that might arise were all thrashed out pior to touring, issues such as set lists, fellow musicians, personal requirements all agreed before they moved forward. Once agreements were made and drawn up they felt comfortable enough that no confrontation should occur that could cause drama further down the line. Basically I think they are following a pre agreed plan. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blonde_illusion said:

I'm confused at what this thread is supposed to be.

I'm thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to have an open discussion on what this thread is about, with each one saying clearly what they like/don't like and what they want it to be.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Also, just notice it, what's that on Axl's hand after he changes the mic to his right hand? Is it a Slash's curl? :wub:

Just like People said on the old thread,  Axl likes to collect Slash hair in a jar N' He put it on His Slash shrine :awesomeface:

19 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yeah, it looks like it. Remeber what he said in that BBC interview about cloning... 

:lol:

What He said? 

44 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, Axl said in the China Exchange interview that he wants to make a GnR album and I believe he really does (it doesn't mean that it will materialize, though :unsure:- I hope it will). I think that he sees this album as part of the last chapter. From what he said it seems that he wants to make an album analogous to the current lineup, i.e. a kind of hybrid album with CD era unreleased stuff (hoping that Slash will want to play on it) and some new stuff, like a GnR epitome.

OKAY, IF THEY DID THAT I WOULD BE SO HAPPY! There's a leak out there, Crash Diet, which deserves to be on a GNR album. I also think they should, if there's not, do an acoustic version of Think About You. And so many others, I can't even think right now. If GNR did that, it would be very interesting.

Really with Chinese Democracy, okay, it probably alienated a lot of fans, but there are a lot of people who do like it, myself included. So, that being said, I sometimes think maybe the album was for the fans. I mean it was all along, but it's kind of like a cult movie, I guess, that maybe wasn't too popular, but found a following awhile later. I sort of liken Chinese Democracy to that. It was the first full Guns album that I owned and fell in love with, and it honestly holds such a special spot in my heart to this day. When I listened to the album, I guess when I first really fell in love with Guns N' Roses, I took sides. I was anti-Axl, I hated him, I thought he was a dick and all of that shit. He was the reason the band fell apart. I never dissed the album, but I did wish for the old line-up. I read Slash's book, loved it, loved Velvet Revolver. I loved Guns N' Roses, but hated Axl. I did fall off of the GNR wagon for awhile, and recently I've begun listening to them again. (I stopped because I got rid of a bunch of metal music I used to listen to and I deemed it bad for me mentally, tbh. Shedding my old, high school skin finally.) I guess I couldn't really escape it, not that it bothers me. Because I'm not on anyone's sides anymore, I love the band as they are -- as cheesy and fangirly as it sounds -- and I especially understand Axl, sort of. I mean I don't totally, but I do. I'm not in his shoes, never will be, but.. I guess if I, lamely, picked a "side" even though I don't believe it, I'm "pro-Axl". Like a fangirl, I've read/watched the few interviews I've found, particularly a chat I think with a forum he did [forget which one.. probably this one? maybe? must've been this one.] and for whatever reason reading a response to someone asking about bipolar/something related to that, something in me clicked. And also the Making of the music videos (Makin' The Fuckin' Videos!!!), I just.. my heart, man. I get what he's saying, although we all are affected by Axl (and GNR) because we're all here on this forum. 

There was an original point I wanted to make but I forget what it was. Sorry for the ramble. :facepalm:

4 hours ago, Archtop said:

I guess this is where my what if came from, I would personally love to see even just one night of Appetite being played in full by the 5 and I just see Duff and Slash more open to the idea if they were approached by Izzy and Steven than Axl.

I think this may be the crux of the matter..what do Slash and Duff really think about this? Have we seen any type of indication on their part that they want an original AFD reunion short term OR long term? We can kind of surmise Axl's view from past statements and recent things heard (not bloody likely), we know what Izzy's terms are, and we know what Steven wants. But those two? It's just too hard to speculate..for all we know, they are equally against Steven being there and paying Izzy an equitable share.

Having said that, as you say, it would be SO special for them to come together for even just one small concert like at the Troubadour to play the full AFD album. I don't think we'll see it, but I never say never.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

I think this may be the crux of the matter..what do Slash and Duff really think about this? Have we seen any type of indication on their part that they want an original AFD reunion short term OR long term? We can kind of surmise Axl's view from past statements and recent things heard (not bloody likely), we know what Izzy's terms are, and we know what Steven wants. But those two? It's just too hard to speculate..for all we know, they are equally against Steven being there and paying Izzy an equitable share.

Having said that, as you say, it would be SO special for them to come together for even just one small concert like at the Troubadour to play the full AFD album. I don't think we'll see it, but I never say never.

Never say never. This response is interesting because you know what, I've never thought of the other members' opinions on this. Not that the band is just Axl, but, you know, how everything seems to lie with him, he has the final say, etc etc etc. Perhaps that's not totally the case. Makes things interesting, but I also understand it. Y'know, relationships change over the years; negative to positive, positive to negative, not trying to say that's happened. I don't totally know what's happened. I think it would be cool if the AFD5 lined up, but I'll take what I can get and revel in the YouTube videos for the time being. It's just good that most of the members are back together, not trying to sound like "Well, at least.." but, yeah, that's the situation right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy14 said:

Ok, I'm really bored of all the speculation and people arguing and projecting their personal feelings and hatred onto the members of GNR. We all need to know what really happened in Buenos Aires. @killuridols was a bit nosey so thanks to her I got an exclusive material to show you the thruth :ph34r:

xXwhAz.gif

zac2se.gif

RcYsU7.gif

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Prrrrrfctttt!! 

Thats how it was! I was there and got the scoop :ph34r:

Thank you Andy by take care o' da truz:hug: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, solstar said:

Aww... I'm short too and I was scared as well but I went with a group of people and it was fine. There were plenty of small girls and we all sort of protected each other. 

You just have to pick a good outfit Argie-crowd-proof :lol: and resist as much as you can. Past the first 5 songs if you survived you will be good for the rest of the show ;)