GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

43 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

Now You know ;) You have to learn, Gurl~ From Chairman,  Dgnr N' Me :awesomeface: Be natural B-)

Somehow this is like He tells Us tht He got crush N' its the Rose *You know which Rose:awesomeface:

Actually it looks like Rose Dorn is Meegan's youngest daugher's band which is kinda cool. I wonder if GNR (or Axl) inspired the name.

@solstar I had never heard that story of Cerati and Axl, that's great! I know they've met other times too and hang out together but this one I had never heard it.

24 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

@solstar I had never heard that story of Cerati and Axl, that's great! I know they've met other times too and hang out together but this one I had never heard it.

Yes! I love that story! Now I didn't know that they'd met other times as well, or that they hung out together. When? Where? I'm really curious now :o

I guess Gustavo finally had a chance to tell Axl about the shopping mall incident then   :awesomeface:

1 hour ago, solstar said:

lol, no! Yours could be a suitable explanation as well, but Cerati never said that Axl was there because he was hiding from a fan, he only said that he was escaping from a fan when he saw him, but not that that was the reason why he had entered the mall in the first place. I guess I can read that Axl was shopping there because that's what people usually do in these places. Also, the guys in the interview and even Cerati himself were confused as well and joked that he was probably buying clothes for his own mom or for himself. So I reckon they made the same inference too. :shrugs:

I guess I find it harder to read that he had entered that place with the sole purpose of hiding from this one fan, because I cannot think of a reasonable context for that to have taken place. I mean, where else could have he been when he saw the fan to begin with? :question: 

Well, I can think of an scenario where Axl was walking in the street or anywhere for that matter, and a fan recognized him and he didn't want to engage in that or probably he thought that if one person makes a huge deal out of it, immediately a lot of people would have been drawn to him, hence his urge to escape from that and enter any place as some kind of protection, where loads of people wouldn't have been allowed.

Haven't you never entered a shop when you thought someone was following you? :lol:

I have done that, specially after taking money out of a ATM, as you know how dangerous those things are here :facepalm:

And I wouldn't take seriously what the other guys are saying while Cerati is telling the story because 1) they are usually silly people who laugh at anything, some sort of Beavis and Butthead always relating everything to sex and dirty things and 2) because they were trying to add some spice to the story and that's the way they behave with all of the interviewees. They act like macho men all the time so I have no doubts those jokes are also related to what we've been talking about in these last pages :rolleyes:

----

Omg @Blackstar, that is a great lengthy post I'd love to reply to but it's already so late here and I'm about to hope in bed. Why did you have to come just now? lol :lol:

I will try to reply to it tomorrow but I'll probably come back late and miss out a lot :unsure:

50 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Well, I can think of an scenario where Axl was walking in the street or anywhere for that matter, and a fan recognized him and he didn't want to engage in that or probably he thought that if one person makes a huge deal out of it, immediately a lot of people would have been drawn to him, hence his urge to escape from that and enter any place as some kind of protection, where loads of people wouldn't have been allowed.

Haven't you never entered a shop when you thought someone was following you? :lol:

I have done that, specially after taking money out of a ATM, as you know how dangerous those things are here :facepalm:

And I wouldn't take seriously what the other guys are saying while Cerati is telling the story because 1) they are usually silly people who laugh at anything, some sort of Beavis and Butthead always relating everything to sex and dirty things and 2) because they were trying to add some spice to the story and that's the way they behave with all of the interviewees. They act like macho men all the time so I have no doubts those jokes are also related to what we've been talking about in these last pages :rolleyes:

lol I guess I could enter a shop to look for protection if I thought someone could rob me or something like that, but I don't think that could apply here, because first, Axl was escaping from a fan, not a thief or a crowd of fans, and second, the people in the mall (Cerati did say he was in a mall, not a shop, btw) would not have been able to offer him any protection from this person either, since all she wanted was his autograph. Also, malls are usually crowded places, so they are not the best place to hide from people either (especially in an old ladies one where Axl would def stand out from the regular crowd :facepalm:), and they are usually surrounded by a large parking place, so can you imagine Axl running through it to hide from this one fan? :lol:

I guess I find it also hard to believe that Axl was just walking there in the street, as it would have been a bit out of character. And it was not only the interviewing guys who assumed Axl was there shopping, but Cerati himself. He did say that at the end of the anecdote, so I reckon he must have had some other reasons that he did not explicitly mention in order to assume that, being the one person who witnessed the whole situation. :shrugs:

So, unless you confess you were the crazy fan with the little notebook youself, I'm sticking with my inference :awesomeface:

Edited by solstar

37 minutes ago, solstar said:

lol I guess I could enter a shop to look for protection if I thought someone could rob me or something like that, but I don't think that could apply here, because first, Axl was escaping from a fan, not a thief or a crowd of fans, and second, the people in the mall (Cerati did say he was in a mall, not a shop, btw) would not have been able to offer him any protection from this person either, since all she wanted was his autograph. Also, malls are usually crowded places, so they are not the best place to hide from people either (especially in an old ladies one where Axl would def stand out from the regular crowd :facepalm:), and they are usually surrounded by a large parking place, so can you imagine Axl running through it to hide from this one fan? :lol:

I guess I find it also hard to believe that Axl was just walking there in the street, as it would have been a bit out of character. And it was not only the interviewing guys who assumed Axl was there shopping, but Cerati himself. He did say that at the end of the anecdote, so I reckon he must have had some other reasons that he did not explicitly mention in order to assume that, being the one person who witnessed the whole situation. :shrugs:

So, unless you confess you were the crazy fan with the little notebook youself, I'm sticking with my inference :awesomeface:

I have listened to it again and I'm sorry but Cerati never said this happened in a shopping mall. His exact words are "un shopping para señoras", which I think it is just some mistake he made when he actually meant a clothing store for old ladies, because I don't think there is a "shopping mall" that is exclusive for ladies. They are for everybody who wants to go in.

The fact that he used Cerati as a shield to hide from the fans proves that Axl was indeed looking for some kind of protection and/or trying to confuse the fan, since Cerati also mentions that as soon as the fan passed by, Axl ran away with his bodyguard.

If he had been shopping there, like you assume, I don't think he would be walking among the clothes, hiding behind other customers and much less leaving the place without paying.

Cerati didn't assume either that Axl was shopping. He said he found it odd that Axl was there and then he jokingly adds that he may have been buying a dress for his mom but it was just to add up to what the other guys were saying, like one of them first assuming Axl would be there buying clothes for some of his women and the other guy, jokingly/mockingly implying it was for himself <_<

The way Cerati tells this story sounds to me like a funny anecdote he just remembered because of its oddness and because it was a quick thing he could barely react to. But he never implied there was more to it than he knew :shrugs:

Great conversation everyone I agree with a lot of points that was made in this thread (and sideyeing Sheila Kennedy's "plump" friend not being able to tag along ?how shallow but anyway...I digress..) I do have an off topic question does anyone who this lady is and what's the story is behind this pic, I've googled like hell and,...nothing lol TIA LSkkBKfeeC8.jpg

1 hour ago, solstar said:

Yes! I love that story! Now I didn't know that they'd met other times as well, or that they hung out together. When? Where? I'm really curious now :o

I guess Gustavo finally had a chance to tell Axl about the shopping mall incident then   :awesomeface:

From what I remember, it was at the bar in the Faena Hotel that they spent a good amount of time talking. I'm pretty sure it was a journalist from here (one of the good ones) who witnessed it and told the story.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

@killuridols is not wrong in that Axl had a macho male following (although that was about GnR as a whole, since it was a hard rock band and this genre has been traditionally macho, plus the lyrics etc), but, as I was there too in the late 80s-early 90s and I remember, when Axl changed his looks and some other things in the band (mainly the introduction of the piano) during the Illusions era, a part of the male fanbase was somehow “confused” and/or alienated. GnR may have continued to be featured in genre music magazines and Axl may have not been considered a gay icon like Prince, but there was a vibe among hard rock fans that GnR had become a soft band for girls; I remember someone from Metallica (Hetfield probably) bragging that they had won over the male crowd during the tour with GnR and saying mockingly that there were a lot of girls at the shows for GnR. We can see it in this forum too; there have been quite a few posts by male members saying that Axl’s outfits (especially the shorts) were “embarrassing” for a rock ‘n’ roll band – one even said that Axl’s piano songs are “sissy”.

Well, I didn't get to live the 90's to have a bigger knowledge about GNR's fanbase back then. As far as I know (at least here in Argentina), there were rockers who loved GNR but a lot of people kind of rejected the band because GNR was for teenage girls what Justin Bieber or One Direction are now, so they thought it wasn't cool to be a GNR fan. Again, my perception could be wrong as I was 4 and 5 when GNR came in 92 and 93, I'm basing this on older fans I know and documentaries and shit like that that I've seen about those shows.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

In regards to how Axl has been perceived by the general public: I agree with @Frey that there are many people calling him a “fag” etc. and I too have noticed what @Lumikki said about AC/DC fans. And this is not about Axl’s current image; I’ve seen comments under videos from old performances on youtube, and gifs of Axl dancing in his shorts posted in the AC/DC forum to point out that he doesn’t fit and he’s a “disgrace” for a band like AC/DC and also to compare him to the “masculine” Brian Johnson.  As for Axl’s behaviors (the aggressiveness, the tantrums), I think that they were mostly seen as acts of a spoiled rockstar/Hollywood diva regardless of sex/gender.

IMO, many people just dislike Axl for whatever reason so they don't take him seriously and enjoy bashing him. You can see someone calling him a hooray for tolerance&#33; and the next person calling him homophobic. Their opinions seem to be based on glimpses they've seen such as Axl wearing a skirt, some rant, comments on the media about One In A Million or about the kind of person Axl is (according to them), what they "know" about GNR's breakup... Axl seems to be judged a lot by people who don't give a shit about him and don't even try to know him, unlike other musicians. Slash is just seen as a cool guitar player by non fans or, worst case scenario, there's the delusional people who claim he's overrated (WHAT!? <_<:max:) but people don't seem to care about what kind of person he is unless they're fans of him or GNR.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don’t know if I’m making any sense with all this, but I’ve been thinking it also in comparison to the Izzy thread:  how respectful the ladies and the guys there are to Izzy and how concerned they are not to cross the line by posting anything inappropriate that might be upsetting to him. It could be argued that Izzy has earned the respect by keeping his life private and with his general behavior (whereas Axl in the past had put a big part of his personal life in display). But then, we have the recent example of Steven, for whom I think it can rightfully be said that he has made his bed at least as much as Axl has made his in this regard (he went in a fucking reality rehab show): people here reacted when the brain damage speculation was brought up as it was seen as disrespectful and diminishing to Steven as a human being, while it’s considered okay to say anything about Axl, his mental health, his looks etc.

The Izzy gang is the best, they can do no wrong! :heart:

But if you look, that's a pretty small circle, there's not a lot of people. I think Axl has a way bigger amount of "huge fans" and that means there are many different kinds of fans. You can see people here who could never even consider the possiblity of saying some negative about Axl and would defend him in ANY situation and then there's also people like @killuridols who may love/admire Axl deeply (and may be desperate to taste his ass :lol:) but has absolutely no problem pointing all the things she considers wrong. Also, it's true that Axl and Izzy are very different, Izzy's a laidback guy who's been out of the spotlight forever while Axl has an immense amount of subjects to discuss about (tardiness, riots, polemic lyrics, relationship with TB, lack of new music...).

What you say about Steven, I think @killuridols was the only one who got mad at the brain damage thing and I believe it was because she saw it as far-fetched nonsense made up to make Axl or "the big three" look good. Personally (and I'm probably seen as an annoying Steven supporter on this forum), I thought it was an interesting perspective and found sooome logic to it, although I don't believe Steven has brain damage (or not to that extent at the very least) to be honest.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

And another thing is, I think, that the relationship between Axl and a part of his fans is an unhealthy one – I guess like many of Axl’s relationships, but, in this case, it’s on both his and the fans’ part. Fandom in general may have some very fucked up aspects, like idolization/idealization, a sense of “ownership”, projection of one’s wishes/fantasies to their idols, etc. I’d say that some of Axl’s personality traits are reflected to the fans. Axl, perceived as a larger-than-life rockstar with all the “package” (including his looks) that his public persona consisted of (as @solstar described it), had a lot of power over the crowds and the fans (I remember a fan from the St. Louis riot show saying it). At first he liked it, then he saw it as a war between him and the fans. The fans were attracted by this persona, but in its ideal form; they saw in Axl what they wanted to be: a combination of beauty, uncompromising spirit, great performance ability and musical genius for some... and they expected him to be and behave according to this ideal image, like they owned him: “you are what you are because of us and you’ll be what we expect you to”; that Stump guy from St. Louis was a characteristic example: after the trial he asked Axl for his autograph, Axl told him “are you crazy?” and he said “I’m a fan, I put you up there and I’m entitled to it”. They wanted him to be wild, but in their own terms and not towards them (their “hero” can’t stop shows for things being thrown at him, he should stay there and take it). And when Axl disappointed them, they started devaluating him and “throwing stones” at him. And this love/hate thing continues to this day.

Well, from what I've seen, some of Axl's biggest haters are huge fans of him who at some point got really disappointed, lost hope and felt let down by him. I think that's mostly fans' fault. When you see some person as the most perfect thing in the universe, you're setting yourself up for disappointment, no one can live to such absurd expectations. Loving someone means embracing who they are, accepting the good and the bad. Otherwise, you just love something that simply doesn't exist and once the bubble burst and you see the imperfections, you end up hating and blaming the other for not being something he never was. It's unfair and fucked up.

Also, thinking musicians owe you an autograph because you buy their records or go to their shows is the stupidest thing in the world. You don't do those things as a favor to the artists, you go to the shows because you love the band and think you're going to have a great time. There can be exceptions (like supporting a local band) but most of the times, people go to shows for selfish reasons, not as a charity action towards the band.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tainted1 said:

Great conversation everyone I agree with a lot of points that was made in this thread (and sideyeing Sheila Kennedy's "plump" friend not being able to tag along ?how shallow but anyway...I digress..) I do have an off topic question does anyone who this lady is and what's the story is behind this pic, I've googled like hell and,...nothing lol TIA LSkkBKfeeC8.jpg

Hi there and welcome! -_-

I've always wanted to know this as well but never found any information on it either. We can only speculate based on some CSI some of us could perform by using data from the picture :shrugs:

I always thought of it as some sort of "awards" show entrance Axl did but then I think that he never attended those kind of shows, so I might be severely wrong.

She looks to me like someone who may be an 80's celebrity but I'm not much familiar with who could that be and telling by Axl's putrid teeth :rofl-lol: this is probably from before 1990, so that's all I can make out of it, so far.

12 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

From what I remember, it was at the bar in the Faena Hotel that they spent a good amount of time talking. I'm pretty sure it was a journalist from here (one of the good ones) who witnessed it and told the story.

Oh and what year was this, do you know or remember?

Because I don't know when the Faena hotel opened and then I think about Cerati having his ACV in 2010 and that being the first year Axl with his nuGNR returned to Argentina after what... 1993? So how was this encounter possible? I'm not sure...

18 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well, I didn't get to live the 90's to have a bigger knowledge about GNR's fanbase back then. As far as I know (at least here in Argentina), there were rockers who loved GNR but a lot of people kind of rejected the band because GNR was for teenage girls what Justin Bieber or One Direction are now, so they thought it wasn't cool to be a GNR fan. Again, my perception could be wrong as I was 4 and 5 when GNR came in 92 and 93, I'm basing this on older fans I know and documentaries and shit like that that I've seen about those shows.

Hmm... no, I don't think anyone here considered them to be like Justin Bieber or One Direction are now :scared:

Yes, they had lots of female fans but it was still labeled as a "dangerous" band of wild guys who incited the youth to take drugs, drink alcohol and behave like animals, lol.... The headlines of newspapers and magazines were all catastrophic before their first arrival to this country.

It doesn't look to me like the number of female fans of them in the 90s outnumbered the male fanbase. Maybe it was not as strictly macho men fans like Metallica or Megadeth or ACDC, it was more balanced, but your average girl wouldn't be a fan of GNR, in spite of Don't Cry or November Rain, their music was not Bon Jovi or Poison. Going to a GNR show being a girl and expecting them to play only ballads I guess it was an unrealistic expectation not many had back then.

Being a girl and liking GNR was like being a pariah, an outcast weird female, probably lesbian or drug addict with lots of "issues". At least that's how they perceived me and the other few girls who liked them :shrugs:

33 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

But if you look, that's a pretty small circle, there's not a lot of people. I think Axl has a way bigger amount of "huge fans" and that means there are many different kinds of fans. You can see people here who could never even consider the possiblity of saying some negative about Axl and would defend him in ANY situation and then there's also people like @killuridols who may love/admire Axl deeply (and may be desperate to taste his ass :lol:) but has absolutely no problem pointing all the things she considers wrong. Also, it's true that Axl and Izzy are very different, Izzy's a laidback guy who's been out of the spotlight forever while Axl has an immense amount of subjects to discuss about (tardiness, riots, polemic lyrics, relationship with TB, lack of new music...).

What you say about Steven, I think @killuridols was the only one who got mad at the brain damage thing and I believe it was because she saw it as far-fetched nonsense made up to make Axl or "the big three" look good. Personally (and I'm probably seen as an annoying Steven supporter on this forum), I thought it was an interesting perspective and found sooome logic to it, although I don't believe Steven has brain damage (or not to that extent at the very least) to be honest.

Omg this made me lol'd so hard :rofl-lol:

Thank you for exposing your particular observations of my persona, lol, I love how creatively you worded it out :lol:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Oh and what year was this, do you know or remember?

Because I don't know when the Faena hotel opened and then I think about Cerati having his ACV in 2010 and that being the first year Axl with his nuGNR returned to Argentina after what... 1993? So how was this encounter possible? I'm not sure...

I've been trying to find it again but all I could get is this tweet

I think he had told the story when he used to be on the radio a few years ago. Wish I could find the details :wacko:

30 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Hmm... no, I don't think anyone here considered them to be like Justin Bieber or One Direction are now :scared:

Yes, they had lots of female fans but it was still labeled as a "dangerous" band of wild guys who incited the youth to take drugs, drink alcohol and behave like animals, lol.... The headlines of newspapers and magazines were all catastrophic before their first arrival to this country.

It doesn't look to me like the number of female fans of them in the 90s outnumbered the male fanbase. Maybe it was not as strictly macho men fans like Metallica or Megadeth or ACDC, it was more balanced, but your average girl wouldn't be a fan of GNR, in spite of Don't Cry or November Rain, their music was not Bon Jovi or Poison. Going to a GNR show being a girl and expecting them to play only ballads I guess it was an unrealistic expectation not many had back then.

Being a girl and liking GNR was like being a pariah, an outcast weird female, probably lesbian or drug addict with lots of "issues". At least that's how they perceived me and the other few girls who liked them :shrugs:

No, what I meant is they were the band that would have a massive group of teenagers screaming at their hotel and stuff like that, as it happens with Bieber now. Still, reading what you're saying, it looks like the situation was extremely different overall.

It's cool the image people would have of you for liking Guns N' Roses, you lesbian junkie :lol:

33 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Omg this made me lol'd so hard :rofl-lol:

Thank you for exposing your particular observations of my persona, lol, I love how creatively you worded it out :lol:

Haha and I failed to mention how much I admire your ability to make new friends in here everyday :P

2 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Sorry, just wanted to state that several posters, me included, did not agree in the brain-damage idea of Steven. I found it very far fetched and highly specualtive. This just as a footnote. :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Funnily enough we now have a thread in D&N about whether Axl was a poser during UYI. The little shorts are being brought up by the guys quite a bit :lol:

Yeah. I kinda like how upset the guys can get about those adorable litlle shorts. Good job, Axl :popcorn:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, killuridols said:

I have listened to it again and I'm sorry but Cerati never said this happened in a shopping mall. His exact words are "un shopping para señoras", which I think it is just some mistake he made when he actually meant a clothing store for old ladies, because I don't think there is a "shopping mall" that is exclusive for ladies. They are for everybody who wants to go in.

The fact that he used Cerati as a shield to hide from the fans proves that Axl was indeed looking for some kind of protection and/or trying to confuse the fan, since Cerati also mentions that as soon as the fan passed by, Axl ran away with his bodyguard.

If he had been shopping there, like you assume, I don't think he would be walking among the clothes, hiding behind other customers and much less leaving the place without paying.

Cerati didn't assume either that Axl was shopping. He said he found it odd that Axl was there and then he jokingly adds that he may have been buying a dress for his mom but it was just to add up to what the other guys were saying, like one of them first assuming Axl would be there buying clothes for some of his women and the other guy, jokingly/mockingly implying it was for himself <_<

The way Cerati tells this story sounds to me like a funny anecdote he just remembered because of its oddness and because it was a quick thing he could barely react to. But he never implied there was more to it than he knew :shrugs:

Well, I agree Cerati sounded really confused about the whole incident, but it is also true that he couldn't provide a possible explanation other than that Axl was there to buy something for his own mom (those were his own words, regardless of whether you think he said that to tag along with what the other guys were saying), and also I think that the bolded are all assumptions you are making about what Cerati said (e.g. that he meant he was in a shop, when he did use the word shopping mall to describe the place where he was - the word "shopping" in Argentina means shopping mall, not shop) or that he was walking among clothes and left without paying (Cerati never said that in his narration) :question:

It's ok though if you think that Axl was there just to escape from this fan, as Cerati only described the part of the incident that he saw, and obviously it is not the whole picture, but I still think it's more likely that Axl had possibly been there shopping when he bumped into this fan, than the whole other scenario that you pictured. And it's ok too. It's all good.;) All I know is that if I ever go to LA, I'll be going to all the old ladies malls just to see if I bump into our crazy redhead maybe trying to purchase some new rings :awesomeface:

8 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I've been trying to find it again but all I could get is this tweet

I think he had told the story when he used to be on the radio a few years ago. Wish I could find the details :wacko:

Thanks for the reference! Wow this is def intriguing! I wonder what type of interaction those two could possibly have had.:o

6 minutes ago, solstar said:

Well, I agree Cerati sounded really confused about the whole incident, but it is also true that he couldn't provide a possible explanation other than that Axl was there to buy something for his own mom (those were his own words, regardless of whether you think he said that to tag along with what the other guys were saying), and also I think that the bolded are all assumptions you are making about what Cerati said (e.g. that he meant he was in a shop, when he did use the word shopping mall to describe the place where he was - the word "shopping" in Argentina means shopping mall, not shop) or that he was walking among clothes and left without paying (Cerati never said that in his narration) :question:

It's ok though if you think that Axl was there just to escape from this fan, as Cerati only described the part of the incident that he saw, and obviously it is not the whole picture, but I still think it's more likely that Axl had possibly been there shopping when he bumped into this fan, than the whole other scenario that you pictured. And it's ok too. It's all good.;) All I know is that if I ever go to LA, I'll be going to all the old ladies malls just to see if I bump into our crazy redhead maybe trying to purchase some new rings :awesomeface:

Thanks for the reference! Wow this is def intriguing! I wonder what type of interaction those two could possibly have had.:o

Can You translate it? 

2 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

Can You translate it? 

The tweet you mean?

It says "With this about Cerati and the 15/05, it always comes to mind the memory of "the last time I saw him". It was in the Faena Cabaret with @axlrose"

Edited by solstar
  • Like 1