GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

35 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Oh, but that doesn't make it less Argentinian.

It's still the same dance, tango, but it differs in the way it is danced. The "ballroom" type you mention is actually a category in a Tango competition. In Spanish it is called "tango de escenario", or stage tango, and it's characterized by a choreographic style. This is danced by professional tango dancers.

The other one is known as "tango de salon o de pista" and it is the one danced by regular people who are not professional dancers. It is the kind of style you'll find at "tanguerías", which are saloon kind of place where people gather to listen and dance to tango, added you can eat and drink.

Right. Tango comes from A, everybody knows that. I danced the latter. 

Here "tango" is understood as the ballroom thing. So to make it understandable it's always named as "tango argentiino". To call it that in Argentina wouldn't make sense. :)

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I bet his room is full black anyway

The black rooms were a thing back then, too. I knew a couple of guys and also my little brother who wanted to have a black room with black furniture and if possible  black floors. There were only a few, however, who were daring enough to paint the walls black, too.  Axl seems to have been putting the blackness to a max (black bathroom).

Edited by Tori72

31 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Right. Tango comes from A, everybody knows that. I danced the latter. 

Here "tango" is understood as the ballroom thing. So to make it understandable it's always named as "tango argentiino". To call it that in Argentina wouldn't make sense. :)

Oh. Gotcha.

But I still think it is wrongly named as it is redundant. :shrugs:

The correct way would be to call it like we do here.

24 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

The black rooms were a thing back then, too. I knew a couple of guys and also my little brother who wanted to have a black room with black furniture and if possible  black floors. There were only a few, however, who were daring enough to paint the walls black, too.  Axl seems to have been putting the blackness to a max (black bathroom).

I didn't know but regardless, I think in Axl's case it is more related to his depression and that he is too sensitive to light. 

Or so I've been told.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I like to think that Axl's first(?) house what a result of rebellious teenage dreams. I remember that for the longest time I wanted everything in my room to be black (walls, carpet, furniture, everything) but then I guess my tastes changed. Didn't Axl once say that one of the reasons he sold the old house because all the dark surroundings weren't helping his mental state? Then he bought a house that was the exact opposite of the old one.

Edited by KiraMPD

9 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Oh. Gotcha.

I didn't know but regardless, I think in Axl's case it is more related to his depression and that he is too sensitive to light. 

Or so I've been told.

7 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

I like to think that Axl's first(?) house what a result of rebellious teenage dreams. I remember that for the longest time I wanted everything in my room to be black (walls, carpet, furniture, everything) but then I guess my tastes changed. Didn't Axl once say that one of the reasons he sold the old house because all the dark surroundings weren't helping his mental state? Then he bought a house that was the exact opposite of the old one.

I always understood this black apartment as a fulfillment of teenage dreams, too.  I don't know about the being sensitive to light thing .

3 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Saying that though, I was blown away when I went to New York. So much that I cried on the way home because I wanted to stay. 

I went to college in New York City and lived there for many years after.  It is the most  amazing place on earth. Even when people think they are going to hate it, they can find something - even if it's just a little cafe on a corner in the Village - that they can't find anywhere else. And some of the nicest people I ever met were in NYC and my most interesting conversations were with strangers on subways or whatever.  I went through a big fascination with Andy Warhol when I was young and he said (or words to the effect)  that NYC inspires  people to want things that you wouldn't normally want and it is so true. OK, damn, now I miss living there. :max:

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I always understood this black apartment as a fulfillment of teenage dreams, too.  I don't know about the being sensitive to light thing .

Well he is ginger which is like the closest thing to an actual vampire...:shrugs:

:lol: 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I do know but the fulfillment of teenage dreams I don't know where it comes from or from where you are deriving this conclusion.

Did he ever talk about wanting a home like that?

I only remember him saying he never had a place of his own and that apartment was the first place he ever owned.

His current home seems like all the opposite to this apartment but then he goes to Buenos Aires and stays in a hotel which decoration goes by the same creepy concept, so go figure :shrugs:

47 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

I went to college in New York City and lived there for many years after.  It is the most  amazing place on earth. Even when people think they are going to hate it, they can find something - even if it's just a little cafe on a corner in the Village - that they can't find anywhere else. And some of the nicest people I ever met were in NYC and my most interesting conversations were with strangers on subways or whatever.  I went through a big fascination with Andy Warhol when I was young and he said (or words to the effect)  that NYC inspires  people to want things that you wouldn't normally want and it is so true. OK, damn, now I miss living there. :max:

I would love to live there, at least for a bit because it's the most fascinating place I've ever been to. It's so true what you say about the people there, I was a bit apprehensive going there at first because you hear a lot of bad things about NYC and the unfriendliness. It couldn't be further from the truth, the people there were so nice and so interested in finding out all about you. I'm not the most sociable person ever but I could talk to New Yorkers really easy. That's why I didn't want to come home. The city itself is stunning too, the architecture there is unbelievable. Can't wait to go back in a couple of years when I can take my kids and they'll remember it. 

Man, I thought I was going to wet myself walking down Broadway it was so cool LOL! 

55 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

Well he is ginger which is like the closest thing to an actual vampire...:shrugs:

LOL!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

I do know but the fulfillment of teenage dreams I don't know where it comes from or from where you are deriving this conclusion.

Did he ever talk about wanting a home like that?

I only remember him saying he never had a place of his own and that apartment was the first place he ever owned.

His current home seems like all the opposite to this apartment but then he goes to Buenos Aires and stays in a hotel which decoration goes by the same creepy concept, so go figure :shrugs:

I don't know of Axl's teenage dreams. I assumed this to be as the black room / apartement seemed to have been a thing to some people in the late 80ies. That's what I meant with "I understood it as".

2 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

Oh. Gotcha.

Or so I've been told.

I didnt know about this :wow: Please tell Me

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

I bet his room is full black anyway

I thing I read in the old thread tht His room is full black

Uuuh... who's that guy and what's he doing at Axl's house?

1 hour ago, SerenityScorp said:

I mean the details?  How do You know about it:max:

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

You know the rules, so don't be a glutton uymbz9mcVZir9SKPD9nc.gif

Smells like insider info again :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Ummm.... speaking of Axl's house :rolleyes:

17362547_1418717894868841_88740769101747

17353316_1418717821535515_45238652850943

17424777_1418717854868845_84448170817818

17264800_1418717721535525_58298504078128

:ph34r:

When I came across pictures of his house, I didn't expect something so modest. But I like it, it's refreshing. I always wondered, too, if the Estranged "house" was his, and I guess it was (is). Which is... interesting and kind of sad if you think about it, I guess. Considering everything surrounding the video and stuff. Not to dwell on the past, but, yeah.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frey said:

Uuuh... who's that guy and what's he doing at Axl's house?

It is an Israeli fan who was visiting Malibu and dropped by Axl's house, rang the bell and got an invite in :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Frey said:

Smells like insider info again :ph34r:

It is always insider info :ph34r:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stella said:

Xennial (late 70s/early 80s birth year) here - I hear you. It seems the women's choices in a lot of stores are either "12 year old pixie" or "middle-aged bake sale matron" with no in-between. I liked Wet Seal, but they went under. They were actually selling leggings that looked like those rose ones Axl had in the 90s last year, LOL.

God, I want leggings like that. I totally used to have a shirt with roses on it, I think... but then I got rid of it because at the time I was cleaning my closet and never wore it. Well, fuck me now, huh? I do have a sweater with roses on the sleeves, though. No GNR shirts, though. Close enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

I didnt know about this :wow: Please tell Me

I thing I read in the old thread tht His room is full black

RE: Light sensitivity:

Dude's a redhead. Redheads typically have very little melanin and they often have blond retinas (no joke), so they actually are more sensitive to light. So the blackout curtains and such could be for that, more than anything else. In the photos where Axl is outside and offstage during the day, he's usually got a baseball cap or another type of hat, plus sunglasses - yes, there's the rockstar vibe, but it's also likely to be to protect his skin and eyes from the light.

Plus people who are up at night and sleep during the day (whether that's due to choice or due to shift work, like firefighters and nurses who work night shifts) do try to block daytime sunlight from their rooms so they can sleep. And since we know Axl has been a night owl, there's another pretty boring explanation for it.

The black apartment was mentioned in Del James' article with Axl in Rolling Stone in, like, 1989. That's been known. There's a video of the apartment, even. No black walls, but the appliances and furniture are all black.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, stella said:

RE: Light sensitivity:

Dude's a redhead. Redheads typically have very little melanin and they often have blond retinas (no joke), so they actually are more sensitive to light. So the blackout curtains and such could be for that, more than anything else. In the photos where Axl is outside and offstage during the day, he's usually got a baseball cap or another type of hat, plus sunglasses - yes, there's the rockstar vibe, but it's also likely to be to protect his skin and eyes from the light.

Plus people who are up at night and sleep during the day (whether that's due to choice or due to shift work, like firefighters and nurses who work night shifts) do try to block daytime sunlight from their rooms so they can sleep. And since we know Axl has been a night owl, there's another pretty boring explanation for it.

The black apartment was mentioned in Del James' article with Axl in Rolling Stone in, like, 1989. That's been known. There's a video of the apartment, even. No black walls, but the appliances and furniture are all black.

I remember that contest on MTV....I actually called in and tried to win :blink: