GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, last year before Coachella.

-----

I said nothing about the mom being sweet or anything. It's just a fact that she was at a GNR show and that's what I'm interested about, regardless of who told the story. At least for me, this is a new element I didn't know. I had assumed his relationship with her was so bad that she was not much part of his life by the time.

There's no judgement of Mrs. Adler to be trusted or not trusted. If she said the mom was there, that's all I needed to know and I don't see why it should be doubted. This plays no significance in her story, Steven or any of the other things you say.

As for the last part, I don't know how he feels about his mother nowadays but the fact that he has "replaced" her by calling someone else "mom" tells me he is still conflicted about that.

Many adult people lose their parents and after that they don't find a replacement, much less start calling them "mom" or "dad". 

Steven's mom having met and chatted with Axl's mom is interesting to me as well, but I did already know about Axl's mom having been at a GNR show (or maybe even shows), because of stuff other people like Slash, Izzy, Niven (?) have said. Slash mentioned meeting Axl's family at a show and that he didn't like them at all (except for Axl's grandma). I think it was also Slash (or maybe Izzy) who mentioned that Axl had to organize transportation for his family to come to a show himself, because his family didn't really care enough to make the trip on their own. And there was some mention of Axl being a ball of nerves before a show (and nearly cancelling it?) because his family was there. And what @Blackstar said, though I hadn't realized this was in 1989 either.

Well, we don't actually know if he adresses her as "mom" in every day life, or if he just thinks of her as a mother figure. Plenty of people have other mother and father figures besides their actual parents, so the latter wouldnt be that weird to me. If he actually calls her mom though whenever he's yelling for her or talking to her or something, that would be weird to me as well.

5 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

Dat's a Daxl there:rolleyes: Gonna change the words:rolleyes:

Lumikki met Him? 

This is something I have already linked to in the thread index (well it's just bunch of random crap at the moment, but still, it's there in the Axl category).

3 hours ago, stella said:

Thanks very much for the kind words! It's nice to be back and having very interesting conversations. :)

I think the thing that frustrates me, a little, is that Axl never seems to win here. During the NuGNR years, it was all, "oh, he's in trouble, he doesn't sound great, he shows up late, he needs to get back with the old band." Now he's back with Slash and Duff, he's showed up on time tours for two different bands, and he sounds a lot better - and by all accounts he's had a very good time with both the AC/DC and GnR tours - and people still think all sorts of things are up with inferences from very limited information. It's like, he's now back with Slash and Duff and seems to be working and interacting incredibly well with them, but because he's not in all their social media photos, he's not hanging out with them enough...?

And stuff that might be perfectly normal and constructive for him, like being an introvert, might not work for someone else, but it doesn't make it scandalous. The fact that he wants to stay in his hotel room? He sings and runs around onstage for hours every night. Maybe he needs to rest, or doesn't want to deal with the crowds or media, or just would rather watch whatever's on TV that night.

BTW I totally agree w/ your comments on Steven's mom...I wouldn't trust her on anything to do with GnR. 

I agree, people do tend to move goal posts farther and farther. A couple of years ago people were saying they would die of happiness and never complain again if Axl just reunited with Slash. Now that he has, there's endless whining about everything else- Steven, Izzy, Axl not being in enough pictures with Sluff... But people will always find something to complain or discuss about, I guess that's just the nature of the thing.

About the hotel rooms... in theory I agree, but I do think it's worrying that he stays in there for days (or even weeks) on end.

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

I don't think he's introverted at all. There's a lot of misconceptions with introverts and they are oftenly associated with being shy, antisocial (another term that is wrongly used), rude and even with a lower IQ than the rest, because it is a world dominated by extroverts.

From what I can grasp from him, he doesn't have the main traits of an introverted person but I can't say for sure. This has to be stated by a personality test. 

I have had a personality and IQ test performed by professionals and I know I am an introvert. I also know which type because not all introverts are the same (neither the extroverts).

He definitely seems like an introvert to me. And I also think your idea of what being introverted can mean is too narrow. Just because he likes to party sometimes, doesn't mean he can't be an introvert.

Hell, Slash constantly describes himself as being shy and introverted and he's partied more than most people on this planet.

And Axl decribed himself like that as well and if he thinks he's shy and introverted, then who am I to argue? Especially because most people don't realize I'm an introvert either because I'm good at faking shit, so I'm not about to question other people who have managed to overcome their issues to a certain extent/are good at faking it.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

That girl in the faux rape charge, who Axl had sex with, was 15. I've read another -quite disturbing- story with a 15 year old in a groupies board or something, although I have strong doubts that it's true. It seems there were under-aged girls in their circle, in the Hell House parties etc during the early days. Also some of the known members of the inner circle were quite young, Barbi for example was 17 according to Slash's book. I don't know, maybe it was a common thing back then in LA :question:

Yeah, Erin was close to his age (3 years younger, iirc). Gina was about 4 years younger I think; this gap is "normal" for people above a certain age, but notable when for example one partner is 20 and the other 15, or, as in Axl's case, he was 22 and Gina was still at school - but anyway, such relationships are not unusual, so I guess it can be considered as a normal relationship. Michelle Young, who he had a brief relationship with, was 5 years younger. I had the impression that Stephanie was around 10 years younger, but I checked and she was 6 years younger.

Anyway, maybe I was off about this, but it seemed to me that Axl viewed the relationships with women around his age as a combination of romantic relationship and friendship, and for strictly romantic or -more usually- plain sexual relationships he had a preference for younger women/girls.

Yeah, I guess he's not totally "numb" and he can still get angry/annoyed etc, but I was referring mainly to how he is during the shows. And if things happened as Steven said, i.e. that Axl said "only one song" but Steven attempted to play another and they turned off the lights on him etc, it'd be expected that Axl wouldn't manage to stay cool and keep his temper.

The show Axl's mother was at according to Steven's mom was in 1989. That was when Axl still thought he could have a good relationship even with his stepdad and it can be safely assumed that it was at least the same with his mother, so it's not unexpected or surprising that she was there. The relationship with his mother went bad after 1990, when he had started the regression therapy or some time before (maybe when he had that "flashback" about his biological father) and he looked for answers from her without getting any.

Okay, I didnt know the faux rape charge girl was 15. But I think that's more of a situation of Axl (and Izzy) just being around Slash's, Steven's and Duff's friends a lot, and those three just happen to be a couple of years younger. And iirc, Slash had sex with that girl too. Less weird in his case because he's a bit younger than Axl, but I highly doubt they differentiated in who they fucked because one of them was a bit older. I don't think they thought about things in that way.

There's also the story of Izzy having sex with that one girl who wrote a blog post about losing her virginity to him. She was what, 16 or 17 at the time? And Izzy was already a famous rock star so he must have been heading towards 30. They were all skeevy guys like that, as far as I can tell.

Also yeah, that kind of thing was more common in the 70s and 80s, at least in certain circles. There are countless stories of rock musicians (like Led Zeppelin or David Bowie) having sex or even relationships with 13 year olds and the like. Probably due to less awareness about this kind of thing among the public in general and then you've also got to consider the kind of girls that would be haning around in back alleys with skeevy guys like Axl, Izzy, Slash, etc. - girls from broken/dysfunctional families for the most part, so you've got a lack of parently involment and intervention right there, which allows for this kind of thing to happen.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frey said:

Well, we don't actually know if he adresses her as "mom" in every day life, or if he just thinks of her as a mother figure. Plenty of people have other mother and father figures besides their actual parents, so the latter wouldnt be that weird to me. If he actually calls her mom though whenever he's yelling for her or talking to her or something, that would be weird to me as well.

He yelled at the airport that someone "hit my mother", so that was odd... And she told the brazilian journalist when asked what her role in his life is "mom, i am his mother". So, whatever.

9 minutes ago, Frey said:

He definitely seems like an introvert to me. And I also think your idea of what being introverted can mean is too narrow. Just because he likes to party sometimes, doesn't mean he can't be an introvert.

Hell, Slash constantly describes himself as being shy and introverted and he's partied more than most people on this planet.

And Axl decribed himself like that as well and if he thinks he's shy and introverted, then who am I to argue? Especially because most people don't realize I'm an introvert either because I'm good at faking shit, so I'm not about to question other people who have managed to overcome their issues to a certain extent/are good at faking it.

He doesn't seem like an introvert to me from the moment he can show up and command an audience of 50k+ souls. An introvert person couldn't come close to put foot in a stage and deal with all that.

I don't have a narrow idea of what an introvert is. I know a lot about the subject, had the Myers-Briggs test performed on me twice and I'm pretty aware of the 16 personality types the test offers. Eight of them belong to the Introvert type, so that's why I know there isn't only one kind of introvert out there. But they all share a handful of main traits and, imo, Axl doesn't have or show the main ones.

There's a chance he could be ambivert too....

Shy and introverted are different concepts. A person can be introverted and shy, or introverted and not shy. I really doubt people like Slash or Axl know the difference. Actually, most people seem to not know the difference and oftenly use one word and the other interchangeably, which is basically a mistake. Antisocial is the other concept that is wrongly used and associated to introverts. Antisocial is a personality disorder.

Again, introvert is a personality type, not a disorder, not an issue, not something you have to "fix". All of these comments demostrate the very little knowledge people in general have about the subject.

26 minutes ago, killuridols said:

He doesn't seem like an introvert to me from the moment he can show up and command an audience of 50k+ souls. An introvert person couldn't come close to put foot in a stage and deal with all that.

Does being any introvert type completely rule out being able to perform/talk etc before an audience? Because I'm an introvert too and I've done it; I found a way because I had to, although I was scared to death. I don't think the number of the audience makes a big difference in this, if it's 200 people or 20000.

Edited by Blackstar
typo

24 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I don't have a narrow idea of what an introvert is. I know a lot about the subject, had the Myers-Briggs test performed on me twice and I'm pretty aware of the 16 personality types the test offers. Eight of them belong to the Introvert type, so that's why I know there isn't only one kind of introvert out there. But they all share a handful of main traits and, imo, Axl doesn't have or show the main ones.

Shy and introverted are different concepts. A person can be introverted and shy, or introverted and not shy. I really doubt people like Slash or Axl know the difference. Actually, most people seem to not know the difference and oftenly use one word and the other interchangeably, which is basically a mistake. Antisocial is the other concept that is wrongly used and associated to introverts. Antisocial is a personality disorder.

Again, introvert is a personality type, not a disorder, not an issue, not something you have to "fix". All of these comments demostrate the very little knowledge people in general have about the subject.

Most introverts are perfectly capable of going on stage or holding speeches or presentations to an audience if they have to. They just don't like it or struggle with it or maybe it's even killing them inside, but apart from that, no reason why they can't do it. Especially if you're used to doing something, it becomes easier for you, even if it goes against your natural inclinations. And Axl has been performing in front of people since he was a child. Plus, according to various people Axl had some severe anxiety issues about going on stage. Sounds like a perfectly plausible feeling to me for an introverted person.

Myers-Briggs test is complete nonsense for the most part and falls into the category of pseudo-science, so I don't see what that has to do with anything. And I'm surprised to see you base an argument on something like Myers-Briggs, since you're usually so scientifically minded and claim to detest ignorance.

Well, Slash and Axl claim they're both introverted and shy. And I think they probably do know the difference between being shy and introverted (it's not like this is a difficult to grasp concept), they probably just think both of these terms apply to them.

I never said anything about antisocial personality disorder or introversion being a personality disorder you have to fix. I used the word "overcome", because unfortunately, as you yourself said, we live in an extrovert world and it is necessary to learn to go against your natural inclinations sometimes for various reasons.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Does being any introvert type completely rule out being able to perform/talk etc before an audience? Because I'm an introvert too and I've done it; I found a way because I had to, although I was scared to death. I don't think the number of the audience makes a big difference in this, if it's case, if it's 200 people or 20000.

No, it doesn't. But I'm not sure the introvert can do that for a living like he does. Or pick something like that as a career.

Plus, having to deal with lots of people/strangers, the touring, the fans, the whole mess.

Introvert could die with the instability it brings.

4 minutes ago, Frey said:

Myers-Briggs test is complete nonsense for the most part and falls into the category of pseudo-science, so I don't see what that has to do with anything. And I'm surprised to see you base an argument on something like Myers-Briggs, since you're usually so scientificslly minded and claim to detest ignorance.

:rofl-lol:

I won't reply this crazy shit because it involves displaying more personal information about me I'm not willing to do in this forum. So, whatever.

8 minutes ago, killuridols said:

No, it doesn't. But I'm not sure the introvert can do that for a living like he does. Or pick something like that as a career.

Plus, having to deal with lots of people/strangers, the touring, the fans, the whole mess.

Introvert could die with the instability it brings.

Axl though has had a big difficulty to deal with all this. He has said it many times (and also that he doesn't like touring in general) and other people have said it too. As for the stage itself, people who perform manage to somehow "get out of themselves" while doing that, and, like @Frey said, it gets easier when you get used to do it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, killuridols said:

:rofl-lol:

I won't reply this crazy shit because it involves displaying more personal information about me I'm not willing to do in this forum. So, whatever.

No need to display any personal information, but you might want to read up on this subject if you think what I wrote is hilarious and if you're actually taking Myers-Briggs seriously. Because it is not something that is taken seriously in academia. There are plenty of scientific papers detailing why it is bullshit, if you want to look it up. Or if you don't care enough to go that far, just google stuff like "why myers-briggs is meaningless/nonsense/useless/bullshit etc." and you'll find plenty of articles dealing with this subject. I don't have time to really get into this now, but here's a quick list of reasons why it is bullshit  http://thoughtcatalog.com/lorenzo-jensen-iii/2015/05/13-reasons-why-the-myers-briggs-test-is-absolute-nonsense/

Edited by Frey

53 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Freddie Mercury, the greatest performer ever lived had once said he was an introvert. Correct me if I'm wrong, I watched one of his interview that he said so. He was a completely different person on and off stage.

Ok this is interesting because I am an introvert too. I can't handle being with a lot of people around for too long. I need my own space where I can just lie down in bed and no one cares. But if it's necessary, I do speak up.

But there was a time when I was so depressed and had a major social problem that I had no friends at all because it's just hard to fit in to new environment. Basically, I quitted being a social human being for a while. It's not healthy and I found my sense. I challenged my self to do things involving talking to people I'm not really close with, join forums like this, so yea...

From what I'm seeing, Axl could have get out being antisocial, if only he would try to get out more. But the people around him don't seem to encourage him to get out of comfort zone that he never actually expand since those dark years, I guess, and himself is never interest doing so. These people are also guarding him around his small comfort zone by lavishing him with things, parties, etc, and for the last 20 yrs he feels unnecessary to become socially active as in going outside and meet new people, and he feels fine doing so, and so he never try. Because why try? He has good life, big house, (albeit disorder) a family, circle of people who love to listen to his stories and jokes, a decent job, people he could delegate to do shits he needs and wants.

What if he becomes suddenly poor and these circle of people go. Maybe with no one guarding his comfort zone, he would be force to get out and quit being antisocial.

The conclusion is, don't buy the albums and don't buy the shows tickets guys :D :ph34r:

the hell did I just say

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Does being any introvert type completely rule out being able to perform/talk etc before an audience? Because I'm an introvert too and I've done it; I found a way because I had to, although I was scared to death. I don't think the number of the audience makes a big difference in this, if it's 200 people or 20000.

Agreed. I'm an introvert and I've performed in front of large audiences and it's been fun. The main definition of being an introvert that many psychologists now use is that they are drained by people rather than energized by them, or that after interacting they need time by themselves to recharge. Also, they enjoy spending time on their own and don't need to constantly be around people. That sounds a lot like Axl to me. A lot of performers are very quiet and introverted offstage, and so are a lot of authors.

This is the best article/definition of introversion I've seen:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/302696/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frey said:

Steven's mom having met and chatted with Axl's mom is interesting to me as well, but I did already know about Axl's mom having been at a GNR show (or maybe even shows), because of stuff other people like Slash, Izzy, Niven (?) have said. Slash mentioned meeting Axl's family at a show and that he didn't like them at all (except for Axl's grandma). I think it was also Slash (or maybe Izzy) who mentioned that Axl had to organize transportation for his family to come to a show himself, because his family didn't really care enough to make the trip on their own. And there was some mention of Axl being a ball of nerves before a show (and nearly cancelling it?) because his family was there. And what @Blackstar said, though I hadn't realized this was in 1989 either.

Yes - and to add to what @Blackstar said, from what Axl mentioned in that big Rolling Stone interview, he found out about his sister's abuse in 1990 or so, and it's pretty reasonable to think it may have contributed to the break. In the RS interview he mentions something about how it's important that his stepfather isn't around him or his sister anymore because he's dangerous.

9 minutes ago, stella said:

Agreed. I'm an introvert and I've performed in front of large audiences and it's been fun. The main definition of being an introvert that many psychologists now use is that they are drained by people rather than energized by them, or that after interacting they need time by themselves to recharge. Also, they enjoy spending time on their own and don't need to constantly be around people. That sounds a lot like Axl to me. A lot of performers are very quiet and introverted offstage, and so are a lot of authors.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/302696/

The first paragraph of the article is pretty much me :lol:

And yes, Axl doesn't look like the type that wants to have people around all the time. On the other hand, there's TB for the last many years and him seeming to be always with them (although this has changed recently), but maybe this has to do with other factors (depression and or other mental issues).

• Like 3

I have to say that this is getting to be very interesting. So here is my two cents, If we really pay attention to some of the songs Axl has pinned, he has given us some pretty clear clues of him being introverted.

"Sometimes I need some time...on my own. Sometimes I need some time...all alone..."

"I sit here on the stairs 'cause I'd rather be alone..."

"You know I don't like being stuck in a crowd..."

"When you're talking to yourself....and nobody's home. You can't fool yourself...you came in this world alone...alone."

These lyrics to me are very telling. It seems to me he really likes time alone to get inside his own head and to not feed in to all the bullshit the public throws at him. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

I have to say that this is getting to be very interesting. So here is my two cents, If we really pay attention to some of the songs Axl has pinned, he has given us some pretty clear clues of him being introverted.

"Sometimes I need some time...on my own. Sometimes I need some time...all alone..."

"When you're talking to yourself....and nobody's home. You can't fool yourself...you came in this world alone...alone."

These lyrics to me are very telling. It seems to me he really likes time alone to get inside his own head and to not feed in to all the bullshit the public throws at him. 

Out of likes, but yes!

In either Slash or Duff's book (it has been a while since I have read them) doesn't it also mention that Axl needed his own little space even in the Hell House or the studio they were living in? I could swear I remember one of them mentioning that he had his own little area that he insisted on keeping very neat and clean even though the rest of the place was a disaster.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

I agree and totally understand that because I am that way too. I love having time alone to myself.;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frey said:

Also yeah, that kind of thing was more common in the 70s and 80s, at least in certain circles. There are countless stories of rock musicians (like Led Zeppelin or David Bowie) having sex or even relationships with 13 year olds and the like. Probably due to less awareness about this kind of thing among the public in general and then you've also got to consider the kind of girls that would be haning around in back alleys with skeevy guys like Axl, Izzy, Slash, etc. - girls from broken/dysfunctional families for the most part, so you've got a lack of parently involment and intervention right there, which allows for this kind of thing to happen.

Plus at least some of the clubs on the Strip, like the Roxy, were apparently all-ages at that time. IIRC Slash mentioned going there when he was in high school, and it would be naive to think that other teens weren't hanging out there too. Some of them were even working in bands themselves - the Runaways, the punk bands Duff was in, etc.

9 minutes ago, stella said:

Out of likes, but yes!

In either Slash or Duff's book (it has been a while since I have read them) doesn't it also mention that Axl needed his own little space even in the Hell House or the studio they were living in? I could swear I remember one of them mentioning that he had his own little area that he insisted on keeping very neat and clean even though the rest of the place was a disaster.

It was in Duff's book iirc. 

4 hours ago, Frey said:

Yeah, I grew up during those times and it was much different than it is now. I was hanging around bands when I was 15, my boyfriend was the 21 year old singer. There were always little 12 and 13 year old girls hanging around the house they lived in....back then you could drive at 16 and drink at 18. Most of the time no one ever checked IDs to buy liquor, so the young ones were getting drunk too. 

I disagree with the part about it lack of parental control or dysfunctional family lives that lead to this. My best friend and I were both from upper middle class families, both parents in the home, and the were very strict and old fashioned. We were the nice girls from the good side of town that hung out with the bad boys from the wrong side of the tracks. We were always at the mall, skating rink or wherever they thought we were supposed to be. Our parents were a little naive, I guess, and believed whatever we told them. They would drop us off at the skating rink every Friday and Saturday night and five minutes later the guys would pick us up and bring us back in time for the parents to pick us up again. I got a car at 16, so they never really knew where we were or who we were with, we had curfews, but would say we were spending the night at another friends house....they never had any clue. Life in the suburbs of a big city....time before cellphones, so they never had a way to really check up on us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stella said:

You hit the nail on the head, I myself am 100% like this! If I can't recharge by myself with peace and solitude in my room, then watch out cause I won't function too well or be in good spirits. I remember my parents having parties and literally staying away in my room all night, just could not handle the people! Noise...everything. Too much sensory overload for me. I also have that issue with loud noises, bright lights, etc...I am just super sensitive! :lol:

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

You hit the nail on the head, I myself am 100% like this! If I can't recharge by myself with peace and solitude in my room, then watch out cause I won't function too well or be in good spirits. I remember my parents having parties and literally staying away in my room all night, just could not handle the people! Noise...everything. Too much sensory overload for me. I also have that issue with loud noises, bright lights, etc...I am just super sensitive! :lol:

I am that way to some extent. I have always had jobs where I had to deal with the public or large numbers of people and did OK since it was my job.

But I love my alone time and hate being in crowded places...even shopping in a Walmart makes me feel crazy. I spent a lot if time alone being an only child when I was young and was so shy I would not even speak to people I knew if I ran into them. As I got older, I was fine with people I knew but was very quiet and shy when first meeting people.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Yes exactly me too.  I get up at least 30 minutes before anyone in my family because if I don't have that alone time in the morning, I feel anxious  the rest of the day.    

It's really a shame that more people don't understand this.  My husband has a big, sociable family and when we first started dating I was always the last to arrive and the first to leave a family party and his family mistook what that meant.  They thought I didn't like them or was snobby.  It tlook a while for them to understand that I am much more comfortable having 10 individual dinners with just a few people than to be with 25 of them at once and luckily now they don't put pressure on me to go to every single gathering and we have enjoyed lots of small get togethers over the years. 

Edited by Fansince88
Can't type
  • Like 3