GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's exactly the same for me. I don't hate them (and I even like some old Queen songs) and I don't think they are bad musicians, but they're not among the things I like to listen to.

Yeah, he likes others too. Janis Joplin, Patti Smith and Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders come to mind.

Imo the only thing Axl likes that's really shitty is WASP (and I don't have to listen to their albums to say it). Also Skid Row (apologies to the fans here) in case he really likes them and it's not just because Baz has been his friend. All the other stuff is a matter of personal taste and whether one likes a particular kind of music.

AC/DC, Billy Joel, The Who... It seems that Axl wants to play with people he admired as a kid and a teenager. Maybe it's a kind of "closure" for him as is the reunion? We have to think who else of his childhood heroes he hasn't perform with yet.

Paul McCartney!! Please please please!! :lol:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

That thing about Fiona Apple is astonishing to me, compared to 80ies and 90ies Axl. But yeah, it's somewhat 30 years ago. Maybe he did mature after all and overcame his misogyny? :wow:

He had mentioned Patti Smith's first album among the things he liked in a 1992 interview, iirc. And I think he had also talked about Janis, but it's obvious he liked her anyway, it can be heard in some of his singing.

• Like 2

Just now, Blackstar said:

He had mentioned Patti Smith's first album among the things he liked in a 1992 interview, iirc. And I think he had also talked about Janis, but it's obvious he liked her anyway, it can be heard in some of his singing.

Yes, I recall him talking about Janice and Etta James. He also told Christina Aguilera he thought her voice was amazing, something like that. I think there must be many female musicians/singers he likes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

True, I very often thought of Janis when hearing early Axl

• Like 1

He did such a good job :heart:

Maybe we'll get a collaboration with Pink out of this! I think they would sound great together, her voice is killer when she belts it out. And have we heard Axl sing with a woman yet?

I know Carrie Underwood also said she would love to duet with him.. so many possibilities with this new Axl, he's got his mojo back :wub:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Paul McCartney!! Please please please!! :lol:

Yes!

I'm thinking that maybe Axl has been affected by the recent deaths. He sees musicians from the 60s and 70s passing away one after the other, he's getting old too...

Oh, and I forgot Limp Bizkit (re: shitty things Axl likes) :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

It'd be cool if Axl would record a solo album like Slash did. Recording with his favorite artists on different songs.

I'm not the biggest Axl fan but I've loved his performances lately. Even more than the GNR shows. :smiley-confused2: He just seems so into it and happy when he's guesting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes!

Oh, and I forgot Limp Bizkit (re: shitty things Axl likes) :lol:

I think McCartney is the main one. I remember Bumblefoot saying in an interview that he asked Axl - Stones or Beatles and he said Beatles :wub: yes!!! If he's not too busy being a scally scouse pirate with Jonny Depp, of course. (He's a Beatle, he can do what he wants :P)

Roger Daltrey will be another, I have a good feeling that Axl will charm and beg The Who to guest on The Seeker and it will be awesome!  

Axl and Ozzy would be fun too. I know Ozzy has said not nice things but I think Axl would look past that seeing as he says Ozzys singing inspired him. Slash could get that to happen. 

I'm curious to know who you think? :) 

Lets forget Axl ever said he wanted to be cool like Fred Durst :facepalm: Also WASP! Didn't he say Izzy got him into them? It was a really funny story involving Izzy and WASP I can't quite remember now. What were those two thinking? :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tori72 said:

I love Axl's taste of music for that too. Also because my choice of music is somewhat ecclectic too. I appreciate Elton John, Queen or Billy Joel as musicians, of course. But their music doesn't do too much for me. I hardly can listen to them, in fact. Some old Elton John maybe. But Queen especially - ugh no.

I've always felt so alone in this. I just can't with them. I can't. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Poor Axl is all alone. But Duff and Susan are relationship goals. After all those years. They make me happy. Go Axl, go and find a female somewhat in your age. Run! (No, not me. I want your Indiana pal. Take @killuridols she's the only chick tough enough to show you your place! :awesomeface:)

JnDTuoy.gif

• Like 1

Also WASP! Didn't he say Izzy got him into them? It was a really funny story involving Izzy and WASP I can't quite remember now. What were those two thinking? :lol:

I read about this not so long ago. Apparently back in 83 or so Izzy was dating a girl called Laura that was the "torture rack girl" (ugh) on stage for WASP shows. It was her who introduced Izzy and Robert John when Izzy was playing with London.

Sorry for the double post, I don't even know what I did. :facepalm:

Edited by Darkenchantress
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Your fangirling is just so sweet in its own kind. Really is :hug:

Oh, thank you :cry:

You must be the only one who thinks like that, lol. Everybody else thinks I'm a critter hater of Axl :lol:

Anyway, after some hours of sleep, I agree with all of you that it is amazing Axl is out and about doing MUSIC things!

I really hope he starts liking this again and puts himself out in shows but also in recorded music :unsure: because in the end, that's gonna be his legacy. Performances are kind of ephemeral.

2 hours ago, Tori72 said:

I read an interview with her once that I liked. And I liked her in it. I think it is good for him - and her - to get back to the old friendship. (without the drugs)

----

Poor Axl is all alone. But Duff and Susan are relationship goals. After all those years. They make me happy. Go Axl, go and find a female somewhat in your age. Run! (No, not me. I want your Indiana pal. Take @killuridols she's the only chick tough enough to show you your place! :awesomeface:)

But I'm not in Axl's somewhat age! :facepalm: :lol:

Although, I surely know how to show him his place, which is by Erin's side :heart:.

No, I don't think it's good for Axl to go back to the groupies, strippers and that kind of people.... They have nothing to do with him anymore. I don't like Michelle Young, nor Adriana Smith, Barbi, Pamela, Giuliana and all that bunch of.... ugh, I want him with someone good, strong, educated, with class, somewhat his age (lol), who can love him but also have her independent life being a great woman on her own... (meaning all things Erin is :ph34r:)

:smiley-confused2:

2 hours ago, Tori72 said:

That thing about Fiona Apple is astonishing to me, compared to 80ies and 90ies Axl. But yeah, it's somewhat 30 years ago. Maybe he did mature after all and overcame his misogyny? :wow:

Fiona became popular in 1996 with her debut album "Tidal". I guess by that time Axl was going through various changes, crisis and losses in his life.

Fiona's music is kind of depressive, at least her first two albums, but especially her first one deals with the sexual abuse she suffered when she was 12 years old. She has this song that is...omg... I can't begin to describe the power of the lyrics to that song, the subtlety she masters to give account of her pain, of the consequences of this abuse. I think Axl might have felt very touched by her story and the music she's written out of that.

He's mentioned her many times as an artist he admires and I can totally see why, me being a huge fan of Fiona. She's not too easy to dig and most people label her as a feminist bitch but I love her and all the female musicians that surfaced during her time. Another great one from that era are Tori Amos and Ani Di Franco.

:lol:

Woooow!! :wow:

I really hope someone cooked a duet of Axl and Pink while they were there! 

I'd like to see Axl keep collaborating with his own heroes but he should know he is the hero of many younger musicians and I would love and prefer that he honors a younger artist or maybe someone from his own generation.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Andy14 said:

It's really time they got their asses to Europe, because now all the interesting things happen while we are sleeping :max:

Anyway, here's a proof that Slash liked Nando's posts (before he unlikes it again lol)

WgW7Zo.jpg

and also: 

18512676_2082245322002331_785840742990872576_n.jpg

18444907_1879014642423742_7956475028063649792_n.jpg

18443419_355843711484784_7626456338108776448_n.jpg

:drool: Great to see Axl's in a good shape. I was a bit worried about his lifestyle during the break :smiley-confused2:

(and he's wearing one of the jackets I really like :drool: and also notice the skin under his jeans)

Edit: Butthurt ACDC fans: "So Axl isn't only taking Brian's role as an ac/dc singer, he is also taking his friends.."

Really slash did that? ... If that's true that means he's still a fucking  kid who wants to look cool to the people that disapprove axl singing with this kind of musicians cuz that's not rock n roll? that'be so hipocrite. 

And WASP ballads are amazing, I'd dedicate Wild child to axl  :lol:

Edited by warrocks

@Tori72 I don't think Axl has ever been misogynist when it comes to liking female musicians. As others have said, he's talked about liking Fiona Apple, Janis Joplin, Patti Smith and probably a few others I don't remember anymore. He also told Christina Aguilera that she was "the greatest voice of her generation".

(And let's not forget he also hired Melissa for his own band :awesomeface:)

Also this:

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

:smiley-confused2:

Fiona became popular in 1996 with her debut album "Tidal". I guess by that time Axl was going through various changes, crisis and losses in his life.

Fiona's music is kind of depressive, at least her first two albums, but especially her first one deals with the sexual abuse she suffered when she was 12 years old. She has this song that is...omg... I can't begin to describe the power of the lyrics to that song, the subtlety she masters to give account of her pain, of the consequences of this abuse. I think Axl might have felt very touched by her story and the music she's written out of that.

He's mentioned her many times as an artist he admires and I can totally see why, me being a huge fan of Fiona. She's not too easy to dig and most people label her as a feminist bitch but I love her and all the female musicians that surfaced during her time. Another great one from that era are Tori Amos and Ani Di Franco.

Yeah, exactly. Very well put. 

I was going to say something like "Doesn't Fiona Apple have tons of songs about being depressed and getting raped? Not surprised at all that he likes her music." 

But you expressed that sentiment in a much less awful way than I was about to :lol: 

Seriously though, I think this is probably a big reason why he loves Fiona Apple so much. Especially during the mystery years.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, warrocks said:

Really slash did that? ... If that's true that means he's still a fucking  kid who wants to look cool to the people that disapprove axl singing with this kind of musicians cuz that's not rock n roll? that'be so hipocrite. 

Oh, no. He didn't unlike Fernando's posts. I was joking, since there has been speculations in the last months about Slash liking and then unliking some Axl related pics. I am sure Slash supports Axl in what he does, especially his singing for ACDC :headbang:.

Maybe I should stop making stupid jokes that only I understand :smiley-confused2:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darkenchantress said:

I read about this not so long ago. Apparently back in 83 or so Izzy was dating a girl called Laura that was the "torture rack girl" (ugh) on stage for WASP shows. It was her who introduced Izzy and Robert John when Izzy was playing with London.

Sorry for the double post, I don't even know what I did. :facepalm:

Lol, torture rack girl sounds about right :lol: Thank you for the info, Izzy and Axl sure seem to be big fans of WASP which I would never think either of them would be lol.

The story I'm thinking of is when Axl was on that radio show with Sebastian Bach and he was talking about Izzy driving his car like a nutter in a corn field only he hit a dip and the airbag went off causing Izzy to get scabs all over his face. Then they went to meet WASP with Izzys face like that and they thought he had herpes or something. :lol:

I don't know if I remembered it totally right, but that's what I was thinking. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yeah, exactly. Very well put. 

I was going to say something like "Doesn't Fiona Apple have tons of songs about being depressed and getting raped? Not surprised he likes her music at all." 

But you expressed that sentiment in a much less awful way than I was about to:lol: 

Seriously though, I think this is probably a big reason why he loves Fiona Apple so much. Especially during the mystery years.

I've known this for a while but when I discovered he liked her I was like :wow: "first time Axl likes something modern that I like as well!!" :lol: and then I could see all the connections, especially to her first and second album.

I recommend anyone who wants to dig a bit more, to listen to "Tidal" and the rape song is "Sullen Girl" :unsure: and I hope you have the guts to not want to jump off a cliff after listening to it.

My admiration for the way she wrote that is so so big that I can just sit down and cry. The metaphor she uses to put her broken heart in words is so precious, so exquisite, how can someone transform such an awful horrible experience into such an incredible song with those words..... I know I could spend hours talking to Axl about Fiona's music, all her lyrics and dense songs, it would be an Emo Fest!! :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Everything you say is a YES for me. And makes me happy too, for various reasons.

Him liking Fem Singer is nothing to do with His mysogyny

2 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

It'd be cool if Axl would record a solo album like Slash did. Recording with his favorite artists on different songs.

I'm not the biggest Axl fan but I've loved his performances lately. Even more than the GNR shows. :smiley-confused2: He just seems so into it and happy when he's guesting.

N' fav musicians

means Slash:heart:

N' Angus:awesomeface:

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Lets forget Axl ever said he wanted to be cool like Fred Durst :facepalm: Also WASP! Didn't he say Izzy got him into them? It was a really funny story involving Izzy and WASP I can't quite remember now. What were those two thinking? :lol:

Blame Izzy then :awesomeface:

10 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Lol, torture rack girl sounds about right :lol: Thank you for the info, Izzy and Axl sure seem to be big fans of WASP which I would never think either of them would be lol.

The story I'm thinking of is when Axl was on that radio show with Sebastian Bach and he was talking about Izzy driving his car like a nutter in a corn field only he hit a dip and the airbag went off causing Izzy to get scabs all over his face. Then they went to meet WASP with Izzys face like that and they thought he had herpes or something. :lol:

I don't know if I remembered it totally right, but that's what I was thinking. 

Please tell Me all of Axl story abput Izzy on His interview cause I always didnt understand what He said when He tell Izzy story