GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

54 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!! :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

That's what he should wear now when see me coming! :awesomeface:

45 minutes ago, melina i said:

Hi girls and guys,

I've been a lurker on this section since past year, and it's my favorite section on this forum:).  This is my 1st post.

I initially got into this crazy beautiful GN'R group when I was younger, and I only love the AFD5 lineup, all 5 original guys.  However, I'm a huge Slaxl girl, yes I love Axl and Slash in their own beautiful, charming, explosive,  talented and crazy ways.:heart: I love their beautiful, timeless music !!  And their crazy stories also. 

I'm private, so I'll post occasionally. Please keep the Slaxl haha  stories, pics controversies  coming and stuff about all original guys , .  I love it

hey, glad to see you posting.

Don't be shy and vomit your thoughts, lol :devilshades:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, melina i said:

Hi girls and guys,

I've been a lurker on this section since past year, and it's my favorite section on this forum:).  This is my 1st post.

I initially got into this crazy beautiful GN'R group when I was younger, and I only love the AFD5 lineup, all 5 original guys.  However, I'm a huge Slaxl girl, yes I love Axl and Slash in their own beautiful, charming, explosive,  talented and crazy ways.:heart: I love their beautiful, timeless music !!  And their crazy stories also. 

I'm private, so I'll post occasionally. Please keep the Slaxl haha  stories, pics controversies  coming and stuff about all original guys , .  I love it

Heeeyyaa, that's my type of girl! Slaxl and AFD5 is where it's at. :lol: Welcome to this mayhem of a thread.

Edited by nonok
  • Like 1

You guys are so funny :rofl-lol:and thanks,  to the welcome :heart:

17 minutes ago, killuridols said:

ey, glad to see you posting.

Don't be shy and vomit your thoughts, lol :devilshades:

16 minutes ago, nonok said:

Heeeyyaa, that's my type of girl! Slaxl and AFD5 is where it's at. :lol: Welcome to this mayhem of a thread.

47 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Hey! Welcome:)

35 minutes ago, dgnr said:

I hadn't realised that you've never posted here :o So welcome! The Slaxl is always here for you, keep posting :hug:

22 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Oh, you finally made the decision! Welcome! ;)

Well, I dont have the sarcasm mode on right now because I'm tired but, even though I laughed hard at your first post, there are some things that I'd like to comment and of course, this is not meant a rebuttal to what you say. It's just that I want to give my useless opinion because I am an opinionated jackass :lol:

22 minutes ago, nonok said:

RQ really sucks and the tempo is just wrong and there's no groove and Axl's Mickey as shit (no amount of pretending will alter the reality that RQ is a sex song that only sounds good with grit, rasp and sleaze) and what the fuck is Fortus doing with that solo and why the fuck did they make him play dual guitar underneath Slash's solo (during the coda) and Slash's talkbox solo is boring and nothing special compared to his Conspirators Rocket Queen and he fucks up the slide solo too many times and it looks like the band don't know for how many bars to play the rhythm before the slide solo begins, oh and did I mention that Axl sounds Mickey as shit (except for the coda sometimes) because he does...

I never understood this tempo shit you all talk about with songs like RQ.... I do understand RQ was always a song with some sort of "dangerous" vibe. When it's played live the whole place becomes some sort of a burdel or whorehouse :lol: and you can even smell sex in the air... but I don't know why y'all say that Frank plays this wrong and blah blah.... In my experience, the song gets ruined with the long ass solo in the middle.... all the frenzy the song makes you feel gets diluted when you have to wait for so long for the last part of the song. Axl isn't so bad at this one... in Las Vegas shows he nailed it with rasp and shit... then, yeah, Mickey comes and go and the whole sexual feel the song has it is not really there anymore, from any of them, much less from Axl :unsure: but I don't think it is one of the worst songs played.

Oh, God, SCOM is so soulless and awful. Zero rasp, zero soul in the rhythm, the only redeeming thing is the Solo, but fucking Ferrer speeds up so much (happens during the Estranged middle and final solos, too) that Slash struggles to keep up and it sounds rushed and forced. The demo for this song is so slow and emotional and raw that I can't stand the current version. :anger:

:lol:

I hate the way Axl sings this song now.... It is awful, really, and it's become so boring.... I wish they'd play a new different version of this and that Axl would change something of it. I don't know what but change some melody or whatever.

However, people love this song and they all get happy when it comes during the set, so....... :shrugs:

How the hell did I forget to mention the shitfest that is CD songs (except for CD itself)? How, for Christ's sake, can you have a catalog of such amazing songs and play Catcher in the Fucking Rye and Better?! And TIL depresses me, it's so damn self-pitying and Slash's solo only worked the first two times (in Vegas) and then he got tired of it and just started shredding like a madman.

CITR is a song that I really like but the length of it puts me off.

I couldn't hear this one or "Sorry" live with Slash and Duff. From the videos, it sounded like Axl never rehearsed it properly so he sings it like shit and makes mistakes all the time. I had hopes he'd put more efforts in his CD songs but looks like he doesn't bother anymore. Anyway, there is something I can rescue from it and that is the visuals they played for the song. I've become obsessed with the little rat that wonders a world of destruction. I'd love to know what this means and why this animation was chosen for the song.

-----

"Better" is a good song and one of my favorites from CD. I had all hopes to hear it live on this tour but in my shows, it sounded like shit :(

In the first River Plate show there seem to have been technical problems and at some point all I heard was a bunch of pots and pans being hit loud. Axl messed up lyrics and the whole band was lost. So it sucked for me this time.

But in the past it was a great song live. Axl used to rock it out.

"This I love" is not as bad live as it is on the album :facepalm:.... Axl makes an effort to sound good on it and he usually nails it. Slash solo is good for the most part and most times, I think. What I don't like about it is the moment in the setlist when they throw it. It's kind of a buzzkiller.

In the second River Plate show, Axl got an ovation from the audience. It was very cool :)

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Well, I dont have the sarcasm mode on right now because I'm tired but, even though I laughed hard at your first post, there are some things that I'd like to comment and of course, this is not meant a rebuttal to what you say. It's just that I want to give my useless opinion because I am an opinionated jackass :lol:

I never understood this tempo shit you all talk about with songs like RQ.... I do understand RQ was always a song with some sort of "dangerous" vibe. When it's played live the whole place becomes some sort of a burdel or whorehouse :lol: and you can even smell sex in the air... but I don't know why y'all say that Frank plays this wrong and blah blah.... In my experience, the song gets ruined with the long ass solo in the middle.... all the frenzy the song makes you feel gets diluted when you have to wait for so long for the last part of the song. Axl isn't so bad at this one... in Las Vegas shows he nailed it with rasp and shit... then, yeah, Mickey comes and go and the whole sexual feel the song has it is not really there anymore, from any of them, much less from Axl :unsure: but I don't think it is one of the worst songs played.

I hate the way Axl sings this song now.... It is awful, really, and it's become so boring.... I wish they'd play a new different version of this and that Axl would change something of it. I don't know what but change some melody or whatever.

However, people love this song and they all get happy when it comes during the set, so....... :shrugs:

I couldn't hear this one or "Sorry" live with Slash and Duff. From the videos, it sounded like Axl never rehearsed it properly so he sings it like shit and makes mistakes all the time. I had hopes he'd put more efforts in his CD songs but looks like he doesn't bother anymore. Anyway, there is something I can rescue from it and that is the visuals they played for the song. I've become obsessed with the little rat that wonders a world of destruction. I'd love to know what this means and why this animation was chosen for the song.

-----

"Better" is a good song and one of my favorites from CD. I had all hopes to hear it live on this tour but in my shows, it sounded like shit :(

In the first River Plate show there seem to have been technical problems and at some point all I heard was a bunch of pots and pans being hit loud. Axl messed up lyrics and the whole band was lost. So it sucked for me this time.

"This I love" is not as bad live as it is on the album :facepalm:.... Axl makes an effort to sound good on it and he usually nails it. Slash solo is good for the most part and most times, I think. What I don't like about it is the moment in the setlist when they throw it. It's kind of a buzzkiller.

In the second River Plate show, Axl got an ovation from the audience. It was very cool :)

I love actually discussing these things (like in the good ol' days :D) so the more opinions, the merrier.

With RQ I guess it's not the tempo so much but the groove itself. I don't know what it is, maybe it's Frank's kit's tone (as was debated in the topic with a similar name), but it sounds like there's some nasty reverb in his kick drum, his snares sound heavy and the cymbals aren't...bouncy enough :lol:, like there's no fluidity in the drumming, hence the lack of groove that Steven naturally has (albeit his has diminished a bit with age and due to the stroke). I think most fans complain about this song so much and deem it one of the worst in the set is because it has such an original Guns sound and feel, it's like the embodiment of AFD - sex, drugs, filth and rock n' roll, mixed with pure talent and an emotional reveal in the end. And while it's not, say, an out-of-tune, drunk, completely chaotic mess, it's not up to the standards that hardcore fans have set for it. Same goes for YCBM.

As for the CD songs, I actually like/love them on the record. Live, not so much. It's funny how in NuGuns Axl was the one that killed them and had the right attitude for them, and now he is the weakest link. There are Better performances in 2006 that just blow my mind completely. You can see the real Axl Rose there - the man sounds like a loaded, snarling gun.

I know TIL is Axl's solo spot in a way, but I'd much prefer something like those SCOM intros, Sail Away Sweet Sister, Fallen Angel etc. They're such wonderful songs and not as doomy and gloomy as TIL. I'm still happy he gets ovations though, corporate asshole that he is. :lol: As for the solo, I guess that's a matter of personal preference. I think a slower one serves a better purpose for this song in particular, but to each their own.

31 minutes ago, nonok said:

I love actually discussing these things (like in the good ol' days :D) so the more opinions, the merrier.

With RQ I guess it's not the tempo so much but the groove itself. I don't know what it is, maybe it's Frank's kit's tone (as was debated in the topic with a similar name), but it sounds like there's some nasty reverb in his kick drum, his snares sound heavy and the cymbals aren't...bouncy enough :lol:, like there's no fluidity in the drumming, hence the lack of groove that Steven naturally has (albeit his has diminished a bit with age and due to the stroke). I think most fans complain about this song so much and deem it one of the worst in the set is because it has such an original Guns sound and feel, it's like the embodiment of AFD - sex, drugs, filth and rock n' roll, mixed with pure talent and an emotional reveal in the end. And while it's not, say, an out-of-tune, drunk, completely chaotic mess, it's not up to the standards that hardcore fans have set for it. Same goes for YCBM.

As for the CD songs, I actually like/love them on the record. Live, not so much. It's funny how in NuGuns Axl was the one that killed them and had the right attitude for them, and now he is the weakest link. There are Better performances in 2006 that just blow my mind completely. You can see the real Axl Rose there - the man sounds like a loaded, snarling gun.

I know TIL is Axl's solo spot in a way, but I'd much prefer something like those SCOM intros, Sail Away Sweet Sister, Fallen Angel etc. They're such wonderful songs and not as doomy and gloomy as TIL. I'm still happy he gets ovations though, corporate asshole that he is. :lol: As for the solo, I guess that's a matter of personal preference. I think a slower one serves a better purpose for this song in particular, but to each their own.

Yes, I know what you mean with Rocket Queen...... I suppose its hard to reproduce that vibe from the 80's though.... the air and environment of the Ritz show, for example....

The problem is there's no youth at the shows anymore! :rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: You know.... smells like teen spirit.... now it smells like grandma/grandpa spirit :lol:..... and there's no booze and drugs.... there's just aging people, some overweighted and in places NON-southamerican, there are people SITTING IN CHAIRS!!!!!!!!! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

We're being too hard on the band, man.... the proper audience is not there anymore either, hahahaaa :P

Just now, marlingrl03 said:

Not in SF! That concert freaking rocked!  Both Guns and the crowd were amazing...I'm thrilled I got to see them for my first time ever in a crowd like that. We all stood... entire stadium for the almost 3 hour set. :headbang:

And welcome @melina i. I have seen you liking my pics a lot so thank you for that. :D

Hi, thanks for the welcome,

yeah I love the pics you post, especially Slaxl ones:lol:, they're great, you're welcome

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yes, I know what you mean with Rocket Queen...... I suppose its hard to reproduce that vibe from the 80's though.... the air and environment of the Ritz show, for example....

The problem is there's no youth at the shows anymore! :rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: You know.... smells like teen spirit.... now it smells like grandma/grandpa spirit :lol:..... and there's no booze and drugs.... there's just aging people, some overweighted and in places NON-southamerican, there are people SITTING IN CHAIRS!!!!!!!!! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

We're being too hard on the band, man.... the proper audience is not there anymore either, hahahaaa :P

Ow I know we're being too hard on them, but it's not like they don't deserve it with all the BS they put us through. :lol: I know they can't sound or look like they did back in the day (and that's precisely why I hardly ever expressed any complaints on the forum), but they're so automated and cash-driven right now that it's like they're not even trying. If I see Axl putting the same effort and love in Guns that he did in AC/DC I won't be so critical. But he won't feel that love with a machine. Even those latest performances with Angus didn't sound like the summer ones. The only part of their integrity Guns kept is the fact they're still doing what they want without giving a crap about anyone else. :shrugs:

@nonok Once again great post , you didn't need much encouragement ?

I am completely with you on Rocket Queen. Slash and the talk box; I think It was the Melborne show the other night I found myself wanting it to end. I normally love RQ such a sleazy song, current version has me twiddling my thumbs. 

SCOM, it's the voice I don't know how to get round it, Axl has to save himself for this song it is after all thier most iconic song and the one all the stops need pulling out for it. Axl needs to find a range he can sing it in which means restructuring the song. I know it's been mentioned before that Axl has something about staying true to the signing style of the original versions but he must see that if he can't reach the notes, kudos for trying but if you sound shit, how is that like the orginal :shrugs:

"TIL depresses me, it's so damn self-pitying" ha ha indeed, enough said. @killuridols the river plate version is probably one of the best performances.

Don't get me wrong there are many moments of magic that keep me watching, its just as the tour goes on the novelty of seeing them together wears off and my excitement has subsided I am less inclined to overlook the bits that grate on my nerves. Hope I regain my enthusiasm by the time they hit london.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

-----

Wow that second River Plate show/ TIL man the rasp and grit was there. Sounded beautiful to me. Thanks for posting that.

3 hours ago, melina i said:

Hi girls and guys,

Hello melina, 

welcome! :hug: Hope you'll like it here, we'll try not to disappoint you lol. (and I will try to find my long lost energy)

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Great posts @nonok and @killuridols!

I'm with you Nonok on RQ! RQ is one of my favourite GN'R songs but these live versions are a mood killer. Too much shredding, too much solos - Fortus one is particulary awful, it doesn't even look like we still are in the same song - too much talkbox, it's all too much and it's boring. Go right to the point, goddamit! RQ is all about groove, feeling, fluidity but they go on and on in circles and before Slash's solo I already lost interest and I'm already waiting for the next song. About Frank on this song and Brownstone and Estranged, don't even get me started.

KOHD, it's nice that Axl gets to tell some stories through it, we know this man loves to tell his stories :P But it wasn't only one time that I fell asleep during it - I know I see scopes during the dawn, I know I'm tired, but if you can put me asleep during a rock performance something must be wrong. No more 'uh-uh-uh-uh' and more 'hey-hey-hey-hey-hey'. Speed that shit up, give us some reggae! And shut up about 'Mr. Richard Fortus', we know he's there unfortunately and, if we forget, his annoying shredding solos will remind us :shrugs:

SCOM, as Steven would say, it is what it is. There are rare the times he sang it good, even in the 90's. Before it was too much rasp, now it's too much mickey. Nevertheless I think that lately he's been improving it a little, trying some kind of a low voice.

• Like 1

Andy14,

Thanks girl:hug:

You're so funny and your gifs and creativity are awesome, hope you find you energy soon, we need your great posts here, :)  Your posts cheer me up, I think they put a smile on lots of people here

9 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

Hello melina, 

welcome! :hug: Hope you'll like it here, we'll try not to disappoint you lol. (and I will try to find my long lost energy)

:ph34r:

12 minutes ago, Ubukitty said:

Welcome, hope you enjoy it here.

Hi, thanks a lot:hug: Yeah I love this section,  my favorite.  The conversations, gifs, pics, articles, etc.  I hope I can come up with even a little bit of the amusement the girls and guys come up with here

• Like 2

1 minute ago, melina i said:

Andy14,

Thanks girl:hug:

You're so funny and your gifs and creativity are awesome, hope you find you energy soon, we need your great posts here, :)  Your posts cheer me up, I think they put a smile on lots of people here

Hi, thanks a lot:hug: Yeah I love this section,  my favorite.  The conversations, gifs, pics, articles, etc.  I hope I can come up with even a little bit of the amusement the girls and guys come up with here

Or just be amused by it. Give it a little time, you'll warm up and off you'll go. :headbang:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgnr said:

Nevertheless I think that lately he's been improving it a little, trying some kind of a low voice.

Yes I agree..he has been trying to use a lower voice the last few concerts. You can also tell during NR. Some other people also remarked on the slight improvements in the concert thread. Hell I'll take it! :DKeep it up Axl and have a kick ass show tonight! :headbang:

• Like 2

What songs (not being played currently) do you think would work well for Axl's voice nowadays?

I'd like to see him try Reckless Life. I feel it's difficult but at the same time I think it might turn out great as it happens with Out Ta Get Me. I believe Move To The City and Bad Obsession could work well.

About Rocket Queen, I'm not a fan of jams in the middle of songs even if Slash is involved, they always kill the vibe of the songs. If on top of that you have Fortus playing a horrible solo (and Frank who couldn't do justice to the song to save his life), then the poor song is ruined. I wish they could play Rocket Queen the way it was on the album.

And the same happens with KOHD, it has all those unnecessary solos and it feels like an hour long. It's not that bad (to me at least) when you're at the show but there's no way I can get throught it if I'm watching a video and that includes UYI era gigs. I'm not a fan of any version of the song but the "80's version" was the most decent IMO.

Slash's 2nd solo is glorious (long but it fits) and Axl's voice, simply AMAZING! This is one of my favorite GNR shows by far btw :heart:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dgnr said:

Great posts @nonok and @killuridols!

I'm with you Nonok on RQ! RQ is one of my favourite GN'R songs but these live versions are a mood killer. Too much shredding, too much solos - Fortus one is particulary awful, it doesn't even look like we still are in the same song - too much talkbox, it's all too much and it's boring. Go right to the point, goddamit! RQ is all about groove, feeling, fluidity but they go on and on in circles and before Slash's solo I already lost interest and I'm already waiting for the next song. About Frank on this song and Brownstone and Estranged, don't even get me started.

KOHD, it's nice that Axl gets to tell some stories through it, we know this man loves to tell his stories :P But it wasn't only one time that I fell asleep during it - I know I see scopes during the dawn, I know I'm tired, but if you can put me asleep during a rock performance something must be wrong. No more 'uh-uh-uh-uh' and more 'hey-hey-hey-hey-hey'. Speed that shit up, give us some reggae! And shut up about 'Mr. Richard Fortus', we know he's there unfortunately and, if we forget, his annoying shredding solos will remind us :shrugs:

SCOM, as Steven would say, it is what it is. There are rare the times he sang it good, even in the 90's. Before it was too much rasp, now it's too much mickey. Nevertheless I think that lately he's been improving it a little, trying some kind of a low voice.

Yep, spot on about RQ. The UYI version at least had a cool breakdown jam, this one seems randomly thrown together.

As for KOHD, it's the Fortus song, there's barely any spotlight on Slash and Axl, and I don't like how Axl sometimes skips the "hey, hey, hey, hey ya" now. And his stories are usually either boring or a retelling of some inside joke that we have no way of knowing.

As for SCOM

11 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Yes I agree..he has been trying to use a lower voice the last few concerts. You can also tell during NR. Some other people also remarked on the slight improvements in the concert thread. Hell I'll take it! :DKeep it up Axl and have a kick ass show tonight! :headbang:

Yeah, there have been some slight improvements but they're obviously an on-again-off-again thing, kinda like the rasp on Civil War. At least Civil War sounds great even with clean vocals. NR especially needs rasp to have that bluesy feeling, otherwise it's just mediocre at best. And Axl's shown that he can rasp it if he wants, we heard it in the soundcheck from Vegas night 1, he just chooses not to do it (don't know if it's to save his voice or not, but either way it's not doing favors to his voice to keep it out of shape).

11 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

What songs (not being played currently) do you think would work well for Axl's voice nowadays?

I'd like to see him try Reckless Life. I feel it's difficult but at the same time I think it might turn out great as it happens with Out Ta Get Me. I believe Move To The City and Bad Obsession could work well.

And the same happens with KOHD, it has all those unnecessary solos and it feels like an hour long. It's not that bad (to me at least) when you're at the show but there's no way I can get throught it if I'm watching a video and that includes UYI era gigs. I'm not a fan of any version of the song but the "80's version" was the most decent IMO.

Slash's 2nd solo is glorious (long but it fits) and Axl's voice, simply AMAZING! This is one of my favorite GNR shows by far btw :heart:

Reckless Life could work, but I'm not a big fan of that song, so... more power to those who are. Move to the City would also sound good if he pushes himself a bit, Bad Obsession will definitely sound great vocals-wise, but I'm not sure the band (coughFrankcough) could get it right. It's too much cowbell and rock n' roll for poor ol' Frank. Where will they find strippers for the ginger to grind with? Can he even grind anymore? Will he wear the red blazer and shorts (I personally don't want to see that get-up at present times)? Will they make Mellissa be the stripper so her hair will be in contrast with Axl's clothes? And who's going to play the harmonica? So many questions. :lol:

Agree about KOHD, the only version I'm a fan of is the one from the AFD5, after that it became a sort of typical grandiose power rock ballad/festive thing that has just gotten worse with time.

• Like 1