Tommy Stinson Talks DJ And Bumblefoot Quitting: 'I Felt Bad For Axl Because I Think He Kinda Got Side-Swiped A Bit By Some Of The Stuff'

Hard Rock Haven - Interview With Tommy Stinson

February 14, 2017

Hard Rock Haven: Obviously writing for a hard rock website, it would be remiss of me to not ask any Guns questions. Did you ever see this happening…Axl reuniting with Slash and Duff? 

Tommy Stinson: If you asked me if it would happen I would have said, “Definitely wouldn’t be happening.” But I think that…I think that due to some of the things that happened towards the end when I was in the band…from my part in it, I wasn’t able to tour for a while because of my family situation at home was very unstable. I had to take care of some shit. So I had basically had to turn down I think it might have been as many as 5 different tours that they wanted to do. And this that and the other thing, I just couldn’t do it. And then DJ (Ashba) quit…when DJ made it official he was “quitting Guns N’ Roses” or whatever. I think that was pretty, “Okay, well, guess we’ll move on from this chapter and get back with the old guys.” I mean, seems to me there might have been some other weird stuff going on in there that I wasn’t party to, but I’m glad they did it. I think it was important that they did. They’re having a ball and fucking killing it. I’ve seen 2 shows, they’re great. They’re all really happy and it seems to be drama free.

HRH: I’m envious, I haven’t made it to any of the reunion shows yet. You mentioned DJ quitting…was that an unusual situation to be in. Were you privy to that at all at the time or did you find out with the rest of us?  

TS: (laughs) You know, he called me up on the phone and told me that he was gonna quit, you know, and this that and the other thing. I just kinda got to thinking … it was funny that he made such a big deal about it because there wasn’t really anything going on. He seemed like it was kind of inevitable that there was going to be a reunion happening, so I think he…I don’t know if he (laughs) tried to get in front of the curve to, you know, drum up some extra fucking press for himself. I don’t really know what the deal was, but I thought it odd. I thought it an odd time to make a big stink about quitting, you know?

HRH: Honestly, I didn’t find it anywhere near as odd as Bumblefoot’s whole “not talking about it” thing that went on for a while in his interviews. That time had to have been an unusual situation for everyone in the band.  

TS: It was. It was comical actually. (laughs) I was laughing about it. You know, I mean I felt bad for Axl because I think he kinda got side-swiped a bit by some of the stuff that was going on. He knew…they all knew…what was going on with me and there was nothing I could do about it. I didn’t have any backup plan to help me with my 8-year-old kid or any of that, so it got to be pretty rough quick. But you know, whatever led to them doing this reunion, I think a lot of people are really happy about it. Like I said, I saw 2 of the shows. They were great. Looked like they were having fun. The only one out of them I don’t really know is Slash and all those guys are my buddies. I’ve talked to them and they’re all having a good time as long as they keep doing it.

HRH: Obviously during your tenure in Guns there was only one album released. Does that bother you at all? Do you wish there was more of an output during your time in the band or do you know of something that you wanted to put out?  

TS: Well we recorded a lot of stuff. We recorded a shit ton of music. Whether it ever sees the light of day I couldn’t even guess, but we recorded a lot of stuff with the intent that it would be kinda staggered out, I think, you know to keep it rolling in a way. I’m not sure if it was Jimmy Iovine’s fuck up or someone’s fuck up that, you know, made a lot of that just…shut Axl down is what it did, but I’m not really sure where that stuff’s going to end up or what it’s gonna be. Who knows if it’ll be anything ever, you know?

HRH: Well I’m one of those out there that loves Chinese Democracy so hats off to you for your part in it.  

TS: Thank you.

http://hardrockhaven.net/online/2017/02/interview-with-tommy-stinson-of-bash-pop/

Edited by Funky.Monkey
  • Like 3

"I mean I felt bad for Axl because I think he kinda got side-swiped a bit by some of the stuff that was going on. He knew…they all knew…what was going on with me"

Anyone know what hes talking about himself? Is he referring to his homelife again?

Or does he mean that he was slowly getting out of the picture in Guns as the bass player when the prospect of both Slash and Duff coming back was getting more real

Edited by Mendez

Well we recorded a lot of stuff. We recorded a shit ton of music. Whether it ever sees the light of day I couldn’t even guess, but we recorded a lot of stuff with the intent that it would be kinda staggered out, I think, you know to keep it rolling in a way. I’m not sure if it was Jimmy Iovine’s fuck up or someone’s fuck up that, you know, made a lot of that just…shut Axl down is what it did, but I’m not really sure where that stuff’s going to end up or what it’s gonna be. Who knows if it’ll be anything ever, you know?

:facepalm:

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mendez said:

"I mean I felt bad for Axl because I think he kinda got side-swiped a bit by some of the stuff that was going on. He knew…they all knew…what was going on with me"

Anyone know what hes talking about himself? Is he referring to his homelife again?

Or does he mean that he was slowly getting out of the picture in Guns as the bass player when the prospect of both Slash and Duff coming back was getting more real

I read it to mean that his reasons for not taking part in GN'R post-2014 wer3e very clear. He had to get his personal life in order. Bumblefoot apparently made it clear he was out in 2014, but played coy with it during interviews. As Tommy says, DJ probably bowed out knowing a reunion was inevitable, but then made a big deal about quitting the band. 

11 minutes ago, Mendez said:

i think he means axl knew he was going to do the replacements reunion , but was blindsided by dj ashba leaving

2014 was a very complicated year for Tommy. Serious problems with his wife (now ex) began to make difficult his trips around the world. So with or without reunion he couldn´t continue in the band, he can´t touring around the world anymore. He´s "full time daddy" now. From the context, I think he was somewhat relieved by the Reunion thing

46 minutes ago, blackieloveless said:

i think he means axl knew he was going to do the replacements reunion , but was blindsided by dj ashba leaving

This. And he said everybody in the band found Bumblefoot's paranoia/Silence over quitting incredibly hilarious. But to be fair, Tommmy himself  was never brave enough to step forward and said "I'm done with Guns N Roses" so..

Edited by Billsfan

I'd kinda forgotten about Bumbles "I can't confirm I've quit" thing. He's right, it was pretty funny, but in an awkward and sad kind of way.

1 minute ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

When Tommy says "we recorded a lot of stuff a shit ton of stuff" and "we figured it would come out" and "it would stagger on out" can this be confirmed? Is it true? Or is it more bullshit?

Plenty of people have said they recorded enough tracks for at least another 1 or 2 albums.

14 minutes ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

When Tommy says "we recorded a lot of stuff a shit ton of stuff" and "we figured it would come out" and "it would stagger on out" can this be confirmed? Is it true? Or is it more bullshit?

when he says "we figured", I think he means when the whole band (minus Axl) was in the studio with each other for many years (from 97-99) the band (at first being Robin, Paul Tobias, Tommy, Pitman, Dizzy, then Bucket replacing Robin, and Brain replacing Josh, then Robin coming back) probably thought "well its been two years and nothing has come out, but I'm guessing Axl will have it out eventually"

Edited by Mendez

1 hour ago, Martin Riggs said:

So are these just things recorded by the band while waiting around or has Axl supposedly put lyrics/vocals to them and made them songs? Not that it will likely matter.

Tommy has said in other recent interview (similar to this one) that they have some material with lyrics and some without them. Eitherway I don't get all this Tommy innuendo about the lack of more albums. "Jimmy Iovine fucked it up, someone else might have fucked it up" He is not really telling much about what took place. He doesn't know or he just doesn't want to tell the whole story. I don't find his comments helpful

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Tommy has said in other recent interview (similar to this one) that they have some material with lyrics and some without them. Eitherway I don't get all this Tommy innuendo about the lack of more albums. "Jimmy Iovine fucked it up, someone else might have fucked it up" He is not really telling much about what took place. He doesn't know or he just doesn't want to tell the whole story. I don't find his comments helpful

He said in another interview back in 2009 that Iovine fucked up by replacing Sean Beaven as the producer with Roy Thomas Baker, who insisted that they re-record everything from the ground up (this was after they had already spent 1998-2000 recording like 30+ songs with Beaven). Stinson felt that starting from scratch was ultimately pointless and said something like "they ended up being the exact same songs as before, but released ten years later." 

What the fuck Tommy... He is utterly inconsistent with his interviews.. once says one thing another time different..

Dissing Dj cause of quitting.. Why would Dj make publicity out of it when he knew the reunion was happening.. Tommy himself never claimed that he left GNR..

Now he is the one cashing in on fellow members quitting stories...

..lame

• Like 1

It's a shame Axl wasted good years of his life trying to make his solo project, also called Guns n Roses, work, hiring and firing and rehiring musicians and producers and all that shit, while unable to write a really good song or good lyrics. Reunion is at least 10 years too late. Now Axl is fat and can't sing properly anymore, CD2 doesn't exist, and he'll never record anything with Slash and Duff.

Tommy Stuson, Assba, Ron B. F. Thal, all mediocre musicians.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, maynard said:

It's a shame Axl wasted good years of his life trying to make his solo project, also called Guns n Roses, work, hiring and firing and rehiring musicians and producers and all that shit, while unable to write a really good song or good lyrics. Reunion is at least 10 years too late. Now Axl is fat and can't sing properly anymore, CD2 doesn't exist, and he'll never record anything with Slash and Duff.

Tommy Stuson, Assba, Ron B. F. Thal, all mediocre musicians.

If Axl can sing for AC/DC like that at 54, he can do it in the studio for Guns and live as well.

Axl has played Slash and Duff some material so it must exist. He also confirmed it has been completed for years.

I think Axl won't resist the chance to work with Slash again.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

If Axl can sing for AC/DC like that at 54, he can do it in the studio for Guns and live as well.

Axl has played Slash and Duff some material so it must exist. He also confirmed it has been completed for years.

I think Axl won't resist the chance to work with Slash again.

No, he can't.

Of course around 350 instrumentals and song snippets must exit somewhere. He has confirmed many things over the years. Only a fool would trust him.

Axl is done as an art creator. With or without Slash, he'll just milk the GNR legay and then retire. He won't release new music.

19 minutes ago, maynard said:

No, he can't.

Of course around 350 instrumentals and song snippets must exit somewhere. He has confirmed many things over the years. Only a fool would trust him.

Axl is done as an art creator. With or without Slash, he'll just milk the GNR legay and then retire. He won't release new music.

It's not milking the legacy when you go on tour after 20 years of not playing together.

They are meeting demand and it's good for them to play together. Axl will probably attempt to release an album with Slash as Guns just so the catalog can be large enough and with more Old Guns members to legitimize it. I expect a break after the tour is over. Could be even a year.

And CD ll was completed. All vocals for that album were completed. Only a silly man would think otherwise.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2