NEW Steven Adler interview with Mitch Lafon

15 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I swear I'm going to start a drinking game soon. Everyone takes a shot when somebody brings "Izzy's a flake" or "Hates touring" into an argument... None of which are based on facts. Fake news, man. Fake news.

Didn't seem so fake when Izzy was asked in 2008 about it. He didn't deny it. He's made statements before about it as well and so have other members.

I’ve always read that you are a calm and reserved type, who doesn’t like to tour or to spend too much time far from home. What made you want to get back together with GN'R? 

Izzy: “You know, there exists a very special connection with rock' n' roll audiences, and I had the desire to experience that again. When we play songs like "Nightrain," "Mr. Brownstone" or "Welcome to the Jungle," an instantaneous connection between the band and the listeners takes place, it’s something electrical, and I had the desire to experience that again."

I'm not gonna go hunt down every quote he or another band member has made about it. It's a well known fact. Either way he wasn't getting an equal share after he sold his share of the pie years ago. 

Edited by BOSSY78
Added

Just now, BOSSY78 said:

Didn't seem so fake when Izzy was asked in 2008 about it. He didn't deny it. He's made statements before about it as well and so have other members.

I’ve always read that you are a calm and reserved type, who doesn’t like to tour or to spend too much time far from home. What made you want to get back together with GN'R? 

Izzy: “You know, there exists a very special connection with rock' n' roll audiences, and I had the desire to experience that again. When we play songs like "Nightrain," "Mr. Brownstone" or "Welcome to the Jungle," an instantaneous connection between the band and the listeners takes place, it’s something electrical, and I had the desire to experience that again."

Are we reading the same quote? He didn't comment on not liking touring, the interviewer said that not him. He's flat out said on video that he has no issue with touring.

He's never missed a GNR show that I'm aware of and out of the 100+ shows he did with the juju hounds + other solo tours he only missed a couple gigs when he was sick. So... how is he a flake? I don't care if you don't like the guy but at least bring actual facts to the argument.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Asia said:

But Axl leans on Beta because he's fucked up and has issues, which is not good, but other than that his brain functions properly and adequately for a 50 something year old. Steven leans on his mom because the drugs stopped his emotional, intellectual and all other development somewhere at a teenager stage. Steven's brain was altered by substance abuse, the guy is like a child in every way. It has its good sides - his enthusiasm and joy is also child-like and unequaled but then again he changes his mind about what happened, how it happened, who is the best person in the world and who is the greatest dick like 10 times an hour. To take this guy's version of events seriously is crazy. Also it is sad that he still refuses to acknowledge that what fucked up his career in GNR and his life in consequence were his addictions not Axl. Gee, that guy still blames it all on other people. That is bad.

Yes, Axl leans on Beta because he is fucked up. Adler leans on his mom because he is also fucked up. It doesn't really matter how they got that way, they both are and both lean on their "mothers."

When someone asks "what sort of 50yr old man leans on their mom?" well, it's not fair to say that about Adler when Axl does exactly the same thing. 

I respect what you say in the majority of your post, I do agree that he changes his mind within a sentence, I don't think he is that naive and he knows how the fans will react to him saying everything is Axls fault one second and then the next he's the greatest ever. I don't care for when he does that. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I think you're right. But did he say the actual amount or just his skewed, vague claim?

Im not sure about tht but I think it kinda make Axl pissed off since He dont wanna talk about it

We already discussed this on Women thread part 1

You could ask some old member there or search on Dexter thread about tht

Edited by SerenityScorp

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Well that doesn't prove that it was a huge crazy payment because Axl has been known to get pissed off at things unjustly.

On the other hand though, I can imagine and sympathize to a degree that he was probably hurt and thought "Oh, so it's just business for you then is it." When really he probably just wanted to see his friend and assumed he wouldn't have to pay him at all.

P.S. You'll have to forgive me I am in-no-way up to date with the women's friend lol I only occasionally drop in to spy on you all :lol:

This. Its what I aways think

No worries I can ask Them for You, I want to know about it too since I kinda forgot about this                             

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Well that doesn't prove that it was a huge crazy payment because Axl has been known to get pissed off at things unjustly.

On the other hand though, I can imagine and sympathize to a degree that he was probably hurt and thought "Oh, so it's just business for you then is it." When really he probably just wanted to see his friend and assumed he wouldn't have to pay him at all.

P.S. You'll have to forgive me I am in-no-way up to date with the women's friend lol I only occasionally drop in to spy on you all :lol:

He didn't specify an amount, he just said he thought Izzy wanted to play with the band as a friend and then he found out he had negotiated a deal with management behind his back for a lot of money. 

Izzy was around again in 2012 so it can't have been as much a big deal as it's made out to be. Izzys worth the money, Axl should pay up :P

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

He didn't specify an amount, he just said he thought Izzy wanted to play with the band as a friend and then he found out he had negotiated a deal with management behind his back for a lot of money. 

Izzy was around again in 2012 so it can't have been as much a big deal as it's made out to be. Izzys worth the money, Axl should pay up :P

Izzy same like Slash :max:

They treated Their Childhood Friend badly :max:

Edited by SerenityScorp

4 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

Maybe you should listen to Adler's interviews on Eddie Trunk in Sept 2015. He tells you what he thinks Slash and Duff feel about him. 

Perhaps you'd also hear all the lies he spewed just now even.

Perhaps you should listen to what he said to Mitch.  He said PINCHED NERVE.  Where did you get broken back?

Edited by tsinindy

1 hour ago, Asia said:

But Axl leans on Beta because he's fucked up and has issues, which is not good, but other than that his brain functions properly and adequately for a 50 something year old. Steven leans on his mom because the drugs stopped his emotional, intellectual and all other development somewhere at a teenager stage. Steven's brain was altered by substance abuse, the guy is like a child in every way. It has its good sides - his enthusiasm and joy is also child-like and unequaled but then again he changes his mind about what happened, how it happened, who is the best person in the world and who is the greatest dick like 10 times an hour. To take this guy's version of events seriously is crazy. Also it is sad that he still refuses to acknowledge that what fucked up his career in GNR and his life in consequence were his addictions not Axl. Gee, that guy still blames it all on other people. That is bad.

I'm sorry, but lol....Axl is a grown ass man, not the hillbilly hick with hayseed in his mouth from the Jungle video.  Get real.

fair point on Steven :)

• Like 1

IMO this is the perfect example on why the band doesn't do high-profile interviews. Because people are going to scrutinize every single word that comes out of their mouth and many are going to try to spin those words into what they wanna hear. I'm not defending Axl here (he has a ton of issues), but I really do think you shouldn't take everythig Steven said for granted. If he really was sacked like he tells here, that undeniably sucks. But you have to see that him being a full-time part of the tour was just too risky. Yes, they could've used Ferrer as backup, but having two drummers at the same time there really seemed crazy/unnecessary, so why not go with the guy who's been there for ten years and has always been reliable. IMO what we got with Steven making guest appearances on songs was the best possible and realistic scenario. Obviously him making appearances more frequently and/or Izzy being a guest as well would have made it perfect, but it was a great moment nonetheless. Also, 95% of the audience at concerts don't care whether Izzy and Steven are there (hell, some might think Fortus is Izzy) and will continue flocking to the shows. This won't hurt their ticket sales at all, especially since there hasn't been any real onstage incident since the tour started (the McBob thing was blown way out of proportion in my book). It has been going very smoothly and the average person that goes to see a GnR show doesn't care or even know about any behind-the-scenes drama. It sucks for the hardcore fans, but those only make up a very small portion of concertgoers. I personally still believe we'll get another album eventually (call me naive) and another big tour and maybe, just maybe there will be more guest appearances in a few years when all this stuff might be out of the way. We have learned that you should really never say never with this band. But even if none of that happens, this is still an awesome way to go out. I'm completely aware that this is not the best possible Situation and it could've definitely been much better, but it also could've been much, much worse. Just my opinion, guys.

Edited by slash97
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Honestly lol, I get the impression that some of you are eager to take any morsel of doubt you can muster to dismiss Steven or Izzy for the sake of defending Axl and every decision he makes because you want to literally suck his dick.

Yes, Steven has issues, no one is saying he is a 100% truth teller but in situations like this 'where there's smoke there's fire' can very much apply because we know what Axl is like. To dismiss Steven or Izzy so readily and to even say @BOSSY78 that it is wrong for Steven's mother to write her book about her own son who is an original member of Guns N' Roses which has shaped both his and her lives and that it's even wrong for Steven himself to profit...I'm sorry but that is ridiculous and bordering on sycophantic.

I don't think many have been defending Axl and every decision, and I don't think many want to literally suck his dick. Drama queen. Most people on here think it may be possible that Axl is not the antichrist and are not out to crucify him every time anyone opens his mouth. That is all.

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

I think you're right. But did he say the actual amount or just his skewed, vague claim?

The actual amount? Why would Axl tell us how much Izzy gets for guesting? You accuse and insult people for dismissing Izzy and Steven, but you call something TB or Axl said a 'skewed, vague claim' :lol:

Besides, pray tell, why haven't we seen Izzy during this tour? According to his own words, it's because they didn't want to pay him enough. (I don't think he mentioned the actual amount either, btw. Neither did Steven. Or anyone else. Because it's none of our business.) It doesn't seem so farfetched that Izzy wanted a lot of money for his guesting back then, does it? (Mind you, not saying he doesn't deserve it.)

If they were looking for an excuse to get rid of him, why would they offer him this gig in the first place???! It makes no sense at all. Noone was obliged to do that. This theory is just nuts.

Either it was what it ended up being right from the sart and Steven is making things up or things happened that we do not know about. Blaming anybody for anything basing on Steven's side of the story is just completely unjustified and unreasonable.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Asia said:

If they were looking for an excuse to get rid of him, why would they offer him this gig in the first place???! It makes no sense at all. Noone was obliged to do that. This theory is just nuts.

Either it was what it ended up being right from the sart and Steven is making things up or things happened that we do not know about. Blaming anybody for anything basing on Steven's side of the story is just completely unjustified and unreasonable.

How is it unreasonable to base it off of Steven's side of the story? It's pretty much the only side of the story we have. We have no choice but to base it off of his side. Anything else is pure speculation. Yes he's not the most reliable source but what other choice do we have?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexC said:

How is it unreasonable to base it off of Steven's side of the story? It's pretty much the only side of the story we have. We have no choice but to base it off of his side. Anything else is pure speculation. Yes he's not the most reliable source but what other choice do we have?

We have to wait for that book by Axl that's never coming where he'll set the record straight with superb hyperbole and carefully crafted sentence structure that vaguely alludes to things without actually outright saying them.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexC said:

Like admit that we know shit until we hear more from other sources and stop making conclusions?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Asia said:

Like admit that we know shit until we hear more from other sources and stop making conclusions?

So... what, don't discuss points directly from the horse's mouth because it may or may not be absolute truth? It's all we have. If Axl doesn't like it then he should respond and set the record straight. But right now, all we have is Steven's side and it's indicating that he has been mistreated.

Edited by AlexC
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Asia said:

The only reasonable answer to this would be that Slash and/or Duff wanted him to be a part of it (don't you remember how happy Slash was when Steven joined them for the first time?)

and Axl compromised but under the condition that Steven won't get a 2nd chance.

So when Steven got injured he found the opportunity to get rid of him.

But the truth is that none of us knows what really happened and all we can do is just guessing.

I won't take any side in this (same goes with the case of Izzy and the loot).

Just now, AlexC said:

So... what, don't discuss points directly from the horse's mouth because it may or may not be absolute truth? It's all we have. If Axl doesn't like it then he should respond and set the record straight. But right now, all it we have is Steven's side and it's indicating that he has been mistreated.

We can discuss anything we want, but to make conclusions when we haven't heard the other side of the story? Opinions are not facts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

The only reasonable answer to this would be that Slash and/or Duff wanted him to be a part of it (don't you remember how happy Slash was when Steven joined them for the first time?)

and Axl compromised but under the condition that Steven won't get a 2nd chance.

So when Steven got injured he found the opportunity to get rid of him.

But the truth is that none of us knows what really happened and all we can do is just guessing.

I won't take any side in this (same goes with the case of Izzy and the loot).

We can discuss anything we want, but to make conclusions when we haven't heard the other side of the story? Opinions are not facts.

So when it's Steven it's an opinion but when it's Axl it's a fact?

In this instance, I would even go as far as to say that Steven and Izzy are more reliable sources than Axl, Slash and Duff because they have nothing to lose, they've already been shunned so why bother to lie? Axl, Slash and Duff have to keep up appearances and not turn fans against them, so why would their side of the story offer verification of any kind whatsoever? There's no way they're gonna come out and say "actually yeah, his back healed just fine but we just didn't want him in the band anyway."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scooby845 said:

I haven't really understood everything cause it's somewhat ambiguous and vague, so I would like you guys, who seem to have the most insights to sort some things out.. @ZoSoRose @Tom-Ass @tsinindy

1. Was Adler meant to play all Appetite, Lies songs or was that his wish?

2. The part preceding Troubadour - he said he injured himself during the rehearsals, but was ready for the show itself, and then Duff told him he wasn't going to play - just Troubadour, or the April warm-up shows, or the whole NITL tour?

3. In Buenos Aires, Axl said - What the fuck is he doing here - cause Steven was supposed to play 2 songs for the 2nd night but they eventually opted for 1 song each night? I thought Axl wasn't as resentful towards Steven...

4. The Japan/Australia/Asia thing - did Steven say he would accept the offer if he played at all of the gigs? But later refused cause he had to choose just one?

5. Was he invited at all NITL shows to guest?

6. Why doesn't he wanna continue his band - ADLER - he said there is no money to support but says he wouldn't play for money with GNR?

7. Did he take money for guest appearance? Would they pay him more for the tour itself than Frank?

8. I thought he was kicked out cause of drugs and ineptitude to play, not cause of creative differences...?

9. Is he willing to guest again only if it's full show with Izzy or is he willing even 1 song with Izzy?

Anyways I'm on Steven's side and this sucks big time... I mean what more money do you need?

1 - he gives the impression this is what he was rehearsing with them and was planning on playing with them (AFD songs, lies songs and a few illusions songs, specifically civil war)

2 - not clear, he hung up on Duff bc he was pissed.

3 - I didn't take this as Axl being mad at Steven, more....surprised.  

4 - correct, he thought he was being offered all and when he found out he could choose one he said no.

5 - not discussed but doesn't seem so, as it seems they broke off contact for awhile when he hung up on Duff, then they called him to guest.  But, again this isn't clear.   My personal take is he was planning on guesting every show and then Duff told him that wasn't going to happen, they didn't ask for awhile then someone reached out and offered him a few shows.

6 - seems to me he loves Guns and those guys and being a part of all that he helped create.  Otherwise he doesn't wanna perforn unless he can make money from it.

7 - wasn't really discussed, sounds like he was compensated in some way though.

8 - he claims it wasn't bc of his drug use, but bc Axl wanted control of everything.

9 - sounds like he will guest again as long as Izzy is involved no matter the number of songs or shows.

I've actually listened to this three times now and while I still feel Steven is getting screwed to some degree, I also feel this is clearly his version of things and there is some degree of pontification occurring (as is natural in situations like this).

Another scenario where the truth will probably remain forever elusive.

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1