NEW Steven Adler interview with Mitch Lafon

While I feel kinda bad for Adler getting his hopes up.... im thrilled that it went down the way it did for Fortus and Frank. Those guys have put in a lot for this band, More than anybody gives them credit for.

Based off of Tommys interviews it's just as I suspected. Duff filled in for Tommy when he had to leave the band for personal reasons, and slash took BBF's spot when he left for reasons unknown. While people wanna call this a reunion.. it's not, it's simply a continuation of 2014.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheesecake said:

A gazillion thanks for putting this up. I didn't get the chance to listen to the interview and just basing it on posts that quoted some excerpts off of it.

If Adler's words are 100% true, 100% credible, then from his interview, Axl is still the master of puppets and man with the last say. Like he himself said, he's a dictator. I sure hope this isn't the case.

It is obviously not 100% true. Some of that is verifiably false (that Axl fired everyone for example- unless Izzy, Slash, and Duff are all in on the cover up to). However, I believe that it is Steven's truth and he believes what he says 100%.

Part of what I like about Steven is his boundless enthusiasm. Unfortunately, I think that same quality probably causes him much trouble in his life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruttu69 said:

"just stretched… All I did was stretch — I put my arms in the air to stretch"

If he's that bad shape that he's injured after stretching, he's not very reliable to tour the world :D 

What a mess it would have been...

Well.. if axl would do some stretchin before the shows and he has bad luck the same could have happened to him...

And second and more important: During the first reunion show axl broke his foot but continued the show and then used the chair and so on. Axl is the boss so he was able to continue. Steven injured his back ,and they didnt give him 2or 3 weeks to get well ??? Steven would have given his best to be back soon and the meanwhile Frank could have drummed. Where could ever have been that problem??? No problem at all. They simply didnt want steven that much to be back and used this fucki... injury as an excuse? If Axl broke his foot and was only the drummer what would have happened? Shame on Axl Slash and Duff to not have given Steven.the possibility they discussed woth him..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Natty said:

Well.. if axl would do some stretchin before the shows and he has bad luck the same could have happened to him...

And second and more important: During the first reunion show axl broke his foot but continued the show and then used the chair and so on. Axl is the boss so he was able to continue. Steven injured his back ,and they didnt give him 2or 3 weeks to get well ??? Steven would have given his best to be back soon and the meanwhile Frank could have drummed. Where could ever have been that problem??? No problem at all. They simply didnt want steven that much to be back and used this fucki... injury as an excuse? If Axl broke his foot and was only the drummer what would have happened? Shame on Axl Slash and Duff to not have given Steven.the possibility they discussed woth him..

Wouldn't that actually made Steven's history seem I don't know, fake? I mean if they didn't want him why invite him in the first place? The fact that they gave him a shot at all is something that he should be grateful about, if he can't see that he doesn't deserve to be there.

• Like 2

Duff in 2016 after Steven hurt his back, "Steven, we aren't going to use you for these shows."

Duff in the Spring of 2017 after seeing all the unsold tickets for the upcoming North American leg, "So Steven, we have a bunch of shows coming up, any chance you and Izzy have free time in your schedule and can join us?"

Something that's become very clear about Axl, Slash and Duff...their number one thing is not the fans nor becoming musically relevant again under the GNR banner, it's simply about lining their pockets.  All those unsold tickets could force them to rethink the direction of things going forward as their appearance on stage along with the Izzy lookalike, the out of time drummer, and the blue haired pogo stick will only take them so far at the box office.

I know I'm just one person here and probably don't speak for the vast majority of fans in 2017, but here is my experience.  I was lucky enough to see the original magic in Sydney in 1988, went to see the watered down version in 1991 (Philly) and 1992 (NYC) and took my wife and son to see some of the nostalgia last summer in Philly.  GNR is going to be 2 hours away this summer...but I wouldn't even go for a free ticket.  At this point it would take the original five as I've seen the drop off between AFD and UYI lineups...and the drop off in hope and vibe even between 2016 and 2017 mirrors that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AlterL said:

Wouldn't that actually made Steven's history seem I don't know, fake? I mean if they didn't want him why invite him in the first place? The fact that they gave him a shot at all is something that he should be grateful about, if he can't see that he doesn't deserve to be there.

..why invite him? I think it was like this ...they were willing to have steven and izzy on board but only to some extent. They invited the 2 but not as full time members and izzy turned down the offer or for not enough money or cause he wanted another stage presence regarding time than big 3 wanted. Steven accepted the offer but injured his back. In both cases it seems big 3 didnt make a step towards them but pushed them away at the first occasion..sad..really..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigpoop said:

If he was practicing for 'almost two years' that means he knew about it in the spring or summer of '14.  I've always believed there's no way the reunion was a result of DJ and Tommy leaving, and it had to be the other way around. This info seems to add some evidence to support that theory.

Yeah BBF claimed he told the band he was quitting in March 2014 and offered to help find a replacement, and that's when they told about "the 2016 plans" (aka reunion).

3 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

Part of what I like about Steven is his boundless enthusiasm. Unfortunately, I think that same quality probably causes him much trouble in his life.

I can agree with this, unlike the others, and I would include Izzy in this to some extent, he totally lacks any strategic thought. It is very childlike in a way, Steven doesn't have the same kind of leverage Slash or even Duff have but I have no doubt he could have played his cards better.

Him talking about how he loves the band so much he would play for free and will take anything they throw at him sounds sweet and almost noble but really he is asking to be trampled all over when it comes to a business deal where the monetary stakes are high.I would like to think he had employed a decent lawyer or manager when it came to the negotiations of the reunion but I'm not sure that is the case at all. I can fully understand why the main three approached this as purely business and as a fan I also accept it's a little sad.

Steven needs to stop being so grateful for the crumbs off the table, get past the fact he fucked up 30 years ago (they have all fucked up at one time or another) and stand by the fact his legacy in the band means something, even if it's just to him and a section of the hardcore fans. This might mean he never plays with them again and holds out like Izzy but this whole they fucked me over but they are the bestest people and I love them schtick needs to stop.

I really hope they do something like an AFD5 club tour as an anniversary thing - they could split the loot 5 ways now the big money has been made. Somehow I don't think this will happen though.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Dunno why some people are so angry at Axl and co. I mean after this interview, it seems like they were MUCH more respectful to Adler and Izzy than at least I originally though. Adler was originally supposed to play all Appetite and Lies songs and most of the UYI stuff. I guess that goes for Izzy too. In other words, it seems like they were supposed to be the main band members and Frank and Fortus would have been supportive members. I kinda understand that they want to keep Frank and Fortus there just in case. After all Izzy quit the band in the middle of a tour and Steven doesn't seem like the most reliable guy either. 

But to me it seems like the band wanted to try if they could work it all out with Izzy and Steven. They wanted to keep the other members there just in case, but they wanted Izzy and Steven to be there, so they could see how it goes. But that wasn't good enough for Izzy. Who knows, maybe Izzy and Steven would have ended up as the permanent and only members, if they would have agreed and they would have earned Axl's, Duff's and Slash's trust. Well Steven of course wanted to do it originally, but then he hurt his back and so plans changed.

But all in all, it seems like they wanted to try if this could work with Izzy and Steven. They wanted to move forward gradually, but for Izzy it was all or nothing. Which is of course understandable too. Like in almost every conflict situation, there's two understandable points of view here too. It's a shame, if they can't make it work out.

Izzy didnt "quit the band in the middle of a tour"

Izzy did all the dates he had agreed to do

And then he left

• Like 2

Yeah if they don't play with the original 5 guys at some point for even one filmed show, they are the worst people on earth, they are slapping the fans in the face. They all want to be apart of it, they already made the big money, there is absolutely no fucking reason why they can't do this for the fans that gave them millions and millions of dollars. Period. Why wouldn't they? It makes no sense whatsoever. It's only rock n roll how can they not get onstage for 2 hours together and give back to the fans. The only reason they probably won't is because Axl thinks that once they do this there's no going back to the way it is now because fans won't except it this way anymore. Which is slightly valid but the casual fans won't care if they go back to this lineup after one or a couple shows so there really isn't anything to lose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alfierose said:

I can agree with this, unlike the others, and I would include Izzy in this to some extent, he totally lacks any strategic thought. It is very childlike in a way, Steven doesn't have the same kind of leverage Slash or even Duff have but I have no doubt he could have played his cards better.

Him talking about how he loves the band so much he would play for free and will take anything they throw at him sounds sweet and almost noble but really he is asking to be trampled all over when it comes to a business deal where the monetary stakes are high.I would like to think he had employed a decent lawyer or manager when it came to the negotiations of the reunion but I'm not sure that is the case at all. I can fully understand why the main three approached this as purely business and as a fan I also accept it's a little sad.

Steven needs to stop being so grateful for the crumbs off the table, get past the fact he fucked up 30 years ago (they have all fucked up at one time or another) and stand by the fact his legacy in the band means something, even if it's just to him and a section of the hardcore fans. This might mean he never plays with them again and holds out like Izzy but this whole they fucked me over but they are the bestest people and I love them schtick needs to stop.

I really hope they do something like an AFD5 club tour as an anniversary thing - they could split the loot 5 ways now the big money has been made. Somehow I don't think this will happen though.

I wish I could like this post more than once!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

Yeah if they don't play with the original 5 guys at some point for even one filmed show, they are the worst people on earth, they are slapping the fans in the face. They all want to be apart of it, they already made the big money, there is absolutely no fucking reason why they can't do this for the fans that gave them millions and millions of dollars. Period. Why wouldn't they? It makes no sense whatsoever. It's only rock n roll how can they not get onstage for 2 hours together and give back to the fans. The only reason they probably won't is because Axl thinks that once they do this there's no going back to the way it is now because fans won't except it this way anymore. Which is slightly valid but the casual fans won't care if they go back to this lineup after one or a couple shows so there really isn't anything to lose.

The GN'R fans are very diverse. Right now they have 50k or more people attending these shows. In the past fans didn't care that Sorum was playing drums and Gilby was playing rythm guitar. GN'R was still one of biggest bands in the world. I have seen people in this forum posting that CD is their favorite album and Buckethead their favorite guitar player. I saw them last year in L.A. When Adler took the stage I have one guy standing next to me asking me who he was. That means there are a lot of people attending these shows because they want to see Axl and Slash play WTTJ, SCOM and NR. Anything else is irrelevant to them

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

The GN'R fans are very diverse. Right now they have 50k or more people attending these shows. In the past fans didn't care that Sorum was playing drums and Gilby was playing rythm guitar. GN'R was still one of biggest bands in the world. I have seen people in this forum posting that CD is their favorite album and Buckethead their favorite guitar player. I saw them last year in L.A. When Adler took the stage I have one guy standing next to me asking me who he was. That means there are a lot of people attending these shows because they want to see Axl and Slash play WTTJ, SCOM and NR. Anything else is irrelevant to them

Yeah that's true I totally agree so why not do the full reunion for at least one show. They can split the loot equally for one show without Axl even noticing a pay cut in his bank account full of millions of dollars.

8 minutes ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

Yeah that's true I totally agree so why not do the full reunion for at least one show. They can split the loot equally for one show without Axl even noticing a pay cut in his bank account full of millions of dollars.

Be realistic.

What band in the middle of a tour would throw a show in with a different lineup ?

1 hour ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

An AFD5 reunion would be a cash grab as well

An AFD original 5 reunion would give many of us the possibility to see them together the 1st time. I saw the UYI tour (I was 15 y old then)  and all the next gnr generaztlions ,sorry generations, and I want to see them all 5 once in my life. If there is no magic left ,ok I or other fans ,we can have a closure with that wish...but if there

is at least a bit magic or even entusiasm between them to create new music..wow how cool would that be?

And honestly  I miss the unpredictable GNR. And with those 5 you never knew/know what happens. But I would prefer an afd5 show that gets finished by an angry axl than a 3 hours show with no surprises and frank and richard...not to mention a GIRL in the bamd. I dont want or need a girl in GNR. Afd5 just to see how it goes... come on axl slash and duff

• Like 1