NEW Steven Adler interview with Mitch Lafon

9 hours ago, Gunner927 said:
12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly.

I finally got to listen to this earlier and as suspected, I disagree with all of the crazy over reactions in the thread. Adler is such a saint huh? Then why does he go on about how rock doesn't sell and there's no money in him playing shows if it's not with a band that's already established? He can scream "FOR THE FANS!" all he wants, but it's clear that what he's really looking for is an easy payday. Same goes for Izzy IMO. Dude could be out there doing whatever he wants "for the fans" but he's not, is he? 

I'm not saying any of this makes Axl, Slash & Duff out to be saints but the way people are acting like their the worst people in the world over this is laughable to me. I'm not going to insult a person like Steven but I will say that I don't think he's the most reliable source and I wouldn't take what he says as an exact fact. Again, I wouldn't do that with any of the other guys either though. The truth is... none of know and we'll never know for sure what went on. 

All I know for sure is that I watched a great majority of forum users complain for a solid 15 years about how all they need in life is Axl & Slash to play together again. If Axl would only stop being such an asshole and just get back together, everything in the universe would make sense and world hunger would be solved. Well, they finally got their wish and a great majority immediately went to look for something else to complain about. Things like this Steven interview give them exactly the ammo they're looking for to support the faux outrage they seem to desperately need.

This. 1000%.

Seriously, did people just tune out of the part where Adler still claims that him being fired had nothing to do with his drug use, and he was using the least of anyone in the band? Or where he again blamed Axl for firing Izzy, Duff, and Slash? Or accused Axl of wanting to become Elton John or Billy Joel, and saying songs like November Rain "aren't Guns N' Roses"?

Steven is my favorite GN'R drummer, and I'd love to have a full reunion one day, but it cracks me up to see everybody kissing his ass and taking his words as gospel. If he really wanted a full reunion, he'd keep his goddamn mouth shut.

Finally some sense. People here love to conveniently ignore things that don't add up (which is the case for a lot of what Steven says), and they also love to ascribe Izzy's and Steven's actions the most noble underlying causes, while at the same time viewing evrything the Big 3 do through the most negative lense possible. All without knowing anything at all basically (because the Big 3 haven't said shit, Izzy has also said nothing about this except for one single tweet and Steven is not necessarily a realiable source of information, as he proves time and time again.)

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Frey said:

Finally some sense. People here love to conveniently ignore things that don't add up (which is the case for a lot of what Steven says), and they also love to ascribe Izzy's and Steven's actions the most noble underlying causes, while at the same time viewing evrything the Big 3 do through the most negative lense possible. All without knowing anything at all basically (because the Big 3 haven't said shit, Izzy has also said nothing about this except for one single tweet and Steven is not necessarily a realiable source of information, as he proves time and time again.)

Look ,  I also wrote yesterday that the big 3 should be ashamed to not have pushed themselves moreb towards an afd 5 reunion. But that doesn t mean that I don t love the big3. I love all 5 and it s clear that no 1 of the 5 is a saint. But the ball is in the court of the big 3 to make it happen.

Maybe we would complain that the rawness and magic is nearly left. But at least we would have the possibility to see. Of course I am happy that Axl Slash and Duff are onstage together again. It s more than I thought could happen. But as there is the chance to have them all back together of course we prefer that..apart young fans who grew up during chi dem era maybe.

I ll take what I can get from them and will always love all 5 of them. The thing for me is. I saw UYI concert live. I saw new gnr with izzy at novarock but I never saw Steven with any of the originals. Steven never came to Austria or even Germany I think. Nor with his solo band and for the afd era I was only 10 y old. So this wish remains...

Edited by Natty
forgot detail
  • Like 1

The thing is I don't believe Steven can't handle a full show or play more than 2 songs. It seems they didn't want him for wathever reason, which to me it is Axl just wanting to keep Frank. Until one of the big three doesn't realese a statement explaining how things really are I'll stay by Steven and Izzy's side.

• Like 3

Cba to read the entire thread, but if it hasn't already been said, it probably comes down to it all being a business. I don't think Axl would have cared about splitting the money more evenly to accommodate Steven and Izzy, but it comes down to reliability. Once they started advertising as the original 5 (maybe with the leeches like Melissa and Dizzy too), it boils down to them all being at their best. Based on past experiences Izzy is one unreliable mother f'er, and Steven could go off the wagon or be unreliable from this injury, and then it would all go to pot. Credit to Axl, he's more or less turned himself around with the stage times, Duff is the glue, and Slash is just Slash. I want more than anyone to see the 5, even if just for a song, an encore, anything. But I totally get why it hasn't, and probably won't happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddie Money said:

Regardless of how things really went down, I feel really bad for Steven and his Argentina story.  that was his big moment to shine in front of his wife's family and Axl made him feel small  it seems like he's taking it okay though   A few years ago, such an experience would have Steven so upset that he'd be calling up Dr Drew and asking if he can come back to Celebrity Rehab  

that really was a terrible thing they did to him. I also feel really bad for him.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Again, how can you defend this?

Exactly. 

And that's exactly I can't be excited about this new version of "GNR", nor will I go see any show. 

The more things change... well, you know how that goes. Not much really changed in Axl-Land. Despicable. But hey, it's HIS band, right? LOL

• Like 2

Had

10 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I just don't get it. It doesn't matter how much you believe Steven, he came all the way to Argentina and they only let him play ONE SONG at each gig! That's a fact and it's embarrasing, there's absolutely no way to defend such a disgusting thing they did. You can come up with the "maybe there are contracts" bullshit but truth is, if that was the case they would have stuck to the plan and Steven would have played two songs at the last show.

Seeing what happened in Argentina, it's not hard to believe what Steven said that they offered him to play at one of the gigs on this leg of the tour. So he had to choose one fn' show and travel all the way to Japan/Australia to play two songs. Meanwhile, Angus Young got to play two songs at three shows in a row even when that meant playing two more covers at the expense of GNR songs like Coma. The whole band had to rehearse two songs that are not gonna become part of the set just to make Axl happy, while having Steven didn't imply any extra work, just playing songs they play anyway. Again, how can you defend this?

I wish there was a way to justify it but there clearly isn't. The idea that I was waiting for an excuse to get mad at my favorite band is so stupid that I can't believe someone could actually think something like that. Everyone who tried to defend the "big three" either said "this is just one side of the story" (which is true but the other side was asked about it and the answer was extremely stupid and vague, the only thing it did was confirm Steven's injury) or tried to make Steven look like a liar (which, again, wouldn't justify things that are facts, not Steven's comments).

Had a feeling Axl just didn't want Steven there. Duff and Slash won't stand up for Steven, probably cause they can't do that without risking their own position in the band and a very lucrative partnership.

Bottom line is if Axl doesn't want to, it's not going to happen in the capacity Steven deserves. Maybe Axl is just happy with the current line up for now and it's perfect to him. Technically it's his band, he controls it with junior partners.

But Steven is being fucked here, if all of what he's saying is true here. If it's not about the money it's either cause Axl doesn't want him there because he doesn't like him or doesn't think his presence is sending the right message when Frank is still the drummer.

What Steven said about Axl in this interview sure doesn't help shit either. But I threw a little in my mouth reading what happened in Argentina allegedly. If true it's sad and pathetic. Reunions are always ugly one way or another.

15 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Exactly. 

And that's exactly I can't be excited about this new version of "GNR", nor will I go see any show. 

The more things change... well, you know how that goes. Not much really changed in Axl-Land. Despicable. But hey, it's HIS band, right? LOL

Still a shame, man, you're missing one hell of an awesome show. These guys may need to learn how to deal with some things off stage but on stage they know it all! THEY FN' OWN!

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Very well said my friend. You're a great poster :headbang:

Oh, I'm not! And I'm out of likes, sorry :P

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Had a feeling Axl just didn't want Steven there. Duff and Slash won't stand up for Steven, probably cause they can't do that without risking their own position in the band and a very lucrative partnership.

Bottom line is if Axl doesn't want to, it's not going to happen in the capacity Steven deserves. Maybe Axl is just happy with the current line up for now and it's perfect to him. Technically it's his band, he controls it with junior partners.

But Steven is being fucked here, if all of what he's saying is true here. If it's not about the money it's either cause Axl doesn't want him there because he doesn't like him or doesn't think his presence is sending the right message when Frank is still the drummer.

What Steven said about Axl in this interview sure doesn't help shit either. But I threw a little in my mouth reading what happened in Argentina allegedly. If true it's sad and pathetic. Reunions are always ugly one way or another.

Yeah, I think Slash wanted to have Steven involved and tried to make it happen but in the end he accepted what Axl wanted.

In Axl's favor, he never wanted Steven back, we all know that. It's Slash the one who back in the day talked about doing it for the right reasons with the five guys and then at some point being back with Axl meant more than sticking to his word and fighting for his friend. It would be nice if he could do an interview and explain himself, his reasons, his motivations but it seems like not acting like a normal human being is a condition to be in this band.

10 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

I think that makes sense. Some of us don't get this view because we never saw the "Reunion" as anything more than Axl and Slash making amends. I know I was hopeful Izzy and Steven would show up, but at the beginning it was always only Axl, Slash and Duff together again on the stage. I didn't expect anything different and was happy when Steven showed up for a few shows. 

There is a considerable amount of money involved, but I think it looks like it is only all about the money if you want it to only be all about the money.

Looking back, yours would be the most sober view to hold. Most of what we heard pointed to the fact that this was simply Slash and Duff re-joining Axl's band. Nothing more, nothing less.

Axl's comments on this very forum and other interviews over the years point to the fact that he isn't overly nostalgic - and his penchant for holding grudges is pretty legendary.

I will personally wait to see how the 30th Anniversary of Appetite passes. I think it's an absolute hallmark in music history and deserves full attention from the band and music critics and fans. If it passes by with nothing more than a token acknowledgement - I will make peace with the fact that the band I grew up with will never be again.

1 hour ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I just don't get it. It doesn't matter how much you believe Steven, he came all the way to Argentina and they only let him play ONE SONG at each gig! That's a fact and it's embarrasing, there's absolutely no way to defend such a disgusting thing they did. You can come up with the "maybe there are contracts" bullshit but truth is, if that was the case they would have stuck to the plan and Steven would have played two songs at the last show.

According to Steven Argentina went down like this:

He had a great time hanging out with his wife's family and his wife- the first time they did this together. He went to the first show to play and when he was ready to go on Axl said "What the fuck is he doing here? He's not supposed to be here until tomorrow." Steven then says that he said, "Excuse me? I just flew 50,000 miles I can play a few more songs."  He goes on the stage played one song then the lights were turned out on him. Then only got to play one song the next night.

This could be taken a bunch of ways. Anywhere from Steven being completely innocent in this mess and having cleared it with the band before going to Argentina that he'd get to play a few more songs then either there was a communication break down and Axl wasn't involved in this approval or said no and no one told Steven that it wasn't improved to Steven just suddenly deciding for himself that this was going to happen and not clearing it with the band and just showing up on the night expecting to play.

Pick the way that fits your narrative. Sure lambaste them if it went down the first way, but we don't know that it did. It could have happened just happened to show up making this decision for himself and there is not on the band to make accommodations who just threw a wrench in the works. It could very likely been something somewhere in the middle as well. I can't get angry at the band because we don't know what happened. However, I can feel bad for Steven because no matter which way it went down it sucks for Steven.

49 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

Based on past experiences let me tell you who is an unreliable mother fucker: Axl Rose. Is he being late now? Is he causing riots? Punching audiences? Then why is this still applicable to Izzy and Steven only? :rolleyes:

I've seen this case made many times. There is one huge problem with it. Lets say that Axl is completely unreliable. It is hard enough running a band with one unreliable person how much more likely is it all going to get completely fucked up if there is more than one unreliable person? Like two wrongs not making a right, two (or more) unreliable people don't suddenly make things stable. 

It isn't like you can kick Axl out so you can have your favorite unreliable person be the only unreliable person in the band. There were mentions in the past that they thought about kicking Axl out of the band (part of the reason he took the name). There is a very good reason that never happened (other than none of the others have a confrontational bone in their bodies). There is no Guns n' Roses without Axl. Lead singer changes do happen but it isn't often that it works out well. Guns n' Roses chugged along fine without Steven and Izzy. It was the loss of Slash (and Axl being completely unable to get his butt in gear and do something with the band once he solely owned it) that made things stall out.

Maybe that isn't fair, but that doesn't really change things.

Edited by sanity_lost
typo
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

According to Steven Argentina went down like this:

He had a great time hanging out with his wife's family and his wife- the first time they did this together. He went to the first show to play and when he was ready to go on Axl said "What the fuck is he doing here? He's not supposed to be here until tomorrow." Steven then says that he said, "Excuse me? I just flew 50,000 miles I can play a few more songs."  He goes on the stage played one song then the lights were turned out on him. Then only got to play one song the next night.

This could be taken a bunch of ways. Anywhere from Steven being completely innocent in this mess and having cleared it with the band before going to Argentina that he'd get to play a few more songs then either there was a communication break down and Axl wasn't involved in this approval or said no and no one told Steven that it wasn't improved to Steven just suddenly deciding for himself that this was going to happen and not clearing it with the band and just showing up on the night expecting to play.

Pick the way that fits your narrative. Sure lambaste them if it went down the first way, but we don't know that it did. It could have happened just happened to show up making this decision for himself and there is not on the band to make accommodations who just threw a wrench in the works. It could very likely been something somewhere in the middle as well. I can't get angry at the band because we don't know what happened. However, I can feel bad for Steven because no matter which way it went down it sucks for Steven.

Well, there are two things I got to say about that. First is, Steven did soundcheck with the band a few hours prior to the first show (I think it was Meegan who posted a pic, he was wearing a purple shirt or something like that) so I don't know the arrengement but the band did know he was there expecting to play, IF the singer didn't know it's probably because he lives in his own fucking bubble.

Second, let's pretend it was purely Steven's fault, he was told to come for the second night but he came earlier and was hoping to play at both shows. Is it really so difficult to let him play both Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle at both shows? I don't see what's so hard or how that could affect the band negatively. Also, I don't know if Axl wanted to demonstrate his power or punish Steven but he clearly didn't mind screwing us (the audience at those shows) really bad in the process.

• Like 3

When will you people come to terms with the fact that Frank is the GnR drummer, has been for 11 fucking years now, and get over it. Slash and duff are here because Tommy and BBF left, that's it. It's wrong and unfair to the guys in the actual band to just want them to step aside for your personal Nostalgia. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

When will you people come to terms with the fact that Frank is the GnR drummer, has been for 11 fucking years now, and get over it. Slash and duff are here because Tommy and BBF left, that's it. It's wrong and unfair to the guys in the actual band to just want them to step aside for your personal Nostalgia. 

what? Axl was done with his CD line up. He's using two original GNR members to make what had become his band relevant again by playing stadiums all over the world. And Frank plays songs which were composed by other drummers.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Slash and Duff are there cause its their band as much as its Axl's Izzy's and Steven's. 

Don't talk to me about Nostalgia, talk about it to Axl. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Yeah but Frank hasn't contributed as much as Steven, he only has some credits for CD songs and that's it, Steven has credits for some non important debut album, Lies and some UYI...

Also, Frank keeps fucking up the songs, after, just like you said it, being the GnR drummer for 11 fucking years now.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Frank had 11 YEARS to make us forget about Steven....

e6pvczjpg.gif

• Like 1