NEW Steven Adler interview with Mitch Lafon

21 minutes ago, Słash said:

Slash and Duff are there cause its their band as much as its Axl's Izzy's and Steven's. 

Don't talk to me about Nostalgia, talk about it to Axl. 

And this type of thought is why you guys are upset. It WAS their band up till the UYIs stuff. Then they left/quit/whatever... Then it was no longer their band. Steven and Izzy have no right to expect to just waltz right back in just because of the past. Just like Duff is here only because Tommy couldn't any longer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

And this type of thought is why you guys are upset. It WAS their band up till the UYIs stuff. Then they left/quit/whatever... Then it was no longer their band. Steven and Izzy have no right to expect to just waltz right back in just because of the past. Just like Duff is here only because Tommy couldn't any longer.

Tommy said all of them left it in Vegas and would have come if Axl gave him a call, but that call never came. 

If Axl had called Tommy now or even last year, you think he would back out and say no? 

Axl's solo band got over in 2014, its as simple as that. 

13 minutes ago, Słash said:

Tommy said all of them left it in Vegas and would have come if Axl gave him a call, but that call never came. 

If Axl had called Tommy now or even last year, you think he would back out and say no? 

Axl's solo band got over in 2014, its as simple as that. 

Tommy has done like a million interviews in the last year where he said something to the effect that he could no longer tour with GNR at their pace because of personal family issues. Please do not conveniently choose to ignore that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well, there are two things I got to say about that. First is, Steven did soundcheck with the band a few hours prior to the first show (I think it was Meegan who posted a pic, he was wearing a purple shirt or something like that) so I don't know the arrengement but the band did know he was there expecting to play, IF the singer didn't know it's probably because he lives in his own fucking bubble.

Second, let's pretend it was purely Steven's fault, he was told to come for the second night but he came earlier and was hoping to play at both shows. Is it really so difficult to let him play both Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle at both shows? I don't see what's so hard or how that could affect the band negatively. Also, I don't know if Axl wanted to demonstrate his power or punish Steven but he clearly didn't mind screwing us (the audience at those shows) really bad in the process.

Axl is Axl. He has always isolated himself from other people. I did remember Steven traveled with Duff and Slash to the sound check but I don't remember seeing a copy of the setlist we usually get after a show showing he was planned that night.

It sucks for Steven if everyone else in the band was on board and didn't run it by Axl. That is the kind of thing you need everyone to be on board for and give advanced notice for. Being spontaneous is great, but only if it is your idea.  Axl has never been some you spring surprises on and expect him to react rationally. I don't know if that is what happened or not.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have let him show off for his home crowd. I am saying that I don't know what is all involved in their decision making process- if they even have an agreed upon one. I don't know what actually went down. Their reasons maybe something I would disagree with but I don't know what happened or what their reasons were or even what all they have to consider.

Regardless, this sucks for Steven.

10 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Tommy has done like a million interviews in the last year where he said something to the effect that he could no longer tour with GNR at their pace because of personal family issues. Please do not conveniently choose to ignore that.

So well he should have just left and not come back for the shows? 

16 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Are you saying GN'R is Tommy's, Frank's and Richard's band? How so? They are nothing more than 3 guys who are hired to play at shows.Tommy at least contributed to CD. But that album is for the most part irrelevant. They didn't help GN'R to become one of the biggest bands in world. They have nothing to do with creating AFD, Lies and UYI. It is not their band!

Tommy's band is The Replacements. He cared more about their reunion than about GN'R. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ohmygod said:

When will you people come to terms with the fact that Frank is the GnR drummer, has been for 11 fucking years now, and get over it. Slash and duff are here because Tommy and BBF left, that's it. It's wrong and unfair to the guys in the actual band to just want them to step aside for your personal Nostalgia. 

This 100%. Surprised how many irrational people there are on the forums. For the record, Frank isn't my favorite drummer or even close- but the facts dictate that he is the drummer. There's no secret Bullshit, Frank has been the drummer for 11 years with no reason to replace him. 

• Like 2

Yesterday my radio station played WTTJ. After the song was done, the dj said that in an interview Steven Adler talked about how he wasn't even asked to re-join GNR and do the tour. I was like, what the hell? First of all, Steven probably couldn't play for 3 hours on a good day. Secondly, he was asked to play some shows and I'm sure he had a good time, as did the fans. Wish he played in the Arlington show, but he didn't. also, Steven probably can't play drums to any of the UYI 1 or 2 or CD songs.

Steven even did some shows in South America. I mean honestly, if Axl didn't fire Steven back in the day, he probably would be dead from doing more drugs than he did.

I guess because of Steven's strokes, he's forgotten a lot of stuff. He should be trying to get his money back from his bitch of a mother and be happy GNR had him do some shows.

My brother saw Steven about 15 years ago and Steven was so fucked up he couldn't even play. His band didn't even have a singer and was asking people to sing. He did take a picture with Steven and get his autograph, but he was way wasted. I'm just glad Steven is sober now and although it would be awesome for Steven to join GNR again, I don't think he could handle the stress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Are you saying GN'R is Tommy's, Frank's and Richard's band? How so? They are nothing more than 3 guys who are hired to play at shows.Tommy at least contributed to CD. But that album is for the most part irrelevant. They didn't help GN'R to become one of the biggest bands in world. They have nothing to do with creating AFD, Lies and UYI. It is not their band!

Tommy's band is The Replacements. He cared more about their reunion than about GN'R. 

Nobody is negating the enormous impact they had on GNRs history. But that's all they are at this point, history.

Guns moved on without them wherever you wanna accept that or not, and other guys came in and put in hard work to keep this alive and going. So to have one of those guys step aside for your selfish nostalgia is lame and not right.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Do you guys all cry when Axl introduces the band every night? Or when you see pics of slash and duff hanging with Frank?

i mean, how do you crybabies deal with it?

Just because they hug Frank that doesn't make Frank the best drummer ever. They never promoted nor advertised this tour with pictures of Frank. We see billboards with the logo or with pictures and videos of the big 3. I don't have to deal with anything. You have to deal with the fact that Frank is nothing more than just a hired guy who plays drums during shows

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Padme said:

Just because they hug Frank that doesn't make Frank the best drummer ever. They never promoted nor advertised this tour with pictures of Frank. We see billboards with the logo or with pictures and videos of the big 3. I don't have to deal with anything. You have to deal with the fact that Frank is nothing more than just a hired guy who plays drums during shows

Loll.... And I'm not the one complaint about who's in the band now am I?

3 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Loll.... And I'm not the one complaint about who's in the band now am I?

Frank is just a hired guy. GN'R is not HIS band, nobody should claim that. It is Axl, Slash and Duff band only. And that's the problem because it should be Izzy's and Adler's band as well. Why? because they help to make it one of biggest bands in the world

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Seeing what happened in Argentina, it's not hard to believe what Steven said that they offered him to play at one of the gigs on this leg of the tour. So he had to choose one fn' show and travel all the way to Japan/Australia to play two songs. Meanwhile, Angus Young got to play two songs at three shows in a row even when that meant playing two more covers at the expense of GNR songs like Coma. The whole band had to rehearse two songs that are not gonna become part of the set just to make Axl happy, while having Steven didn't imply any extra work, just playing songs they play anyway. Again, how can you defend this?

Great point. Never thought of this before. Yeah.

I know Angus is most reliable - doesn't drink doesn't smoke and all that - but come on.... Steven's not reliable enough to play more than ONE song? He went on playing for few hours right after that show to prove that he's more than able to do it.

I feel like his version of what went down was a lot inflated but there's still some obvious truth in it and if Axl come out right telling us he just can't stand Steven and not making fans come up with speculations, things will be put on rest quicker.

Or I guess.. that's what they want perhaps. Controversies for publicity. That keeps them in the light ongoing even not for the right reasons.

On 2/18/2017 at 1:30 PM, RussTCB said:

Exactly.

I finally got to listen to this earlier and as suspected, I disagree with all of the crazy over reactions in the thread. Adler is such a saint huh? Then why does he go on about how rock doesn't sell and there's no money in him playing shows if it's not with a band that's already established? He can scream "FOR THE FANS!" all he wants, but it's clear that what he's really looking for is an easy payday. Same goes for Izzy IMO. Dude could be out there doing whatever he wants "for the fans" but he's not, is he? 

In the case of Adler, he's simply pointing out a reality that there isn't much money in rock n roll unless you're an established brand. Is that really all that far from the truth? As an artist, he wants to reach the widest possible audience. Yes, part of it is for monetary reasons...but the other part is that as a content creator, they (musicians) get satisfaction in knowing that their work is seen, heard, and appreciated by more people. If you're out there creating stuff, don't you want more people to see it? Isn't it only reasonable to assume that the artist would find that gratifying? It looks like Adler is pretty well taken care of with his Appetite royalties, so I imagine he's moved on past playing small bars in random countries at this stage of his career. That doesn't mean he doesn't care about his fans, it just means that he's looking for creative inspiration elsewhere at this point in his career. That's completely normal.

With regards to Izzy, he's been pretty much in semi-retirement for the past 10-15 years anyway. For the fans, he'd show up for a gig with New Guns from time to time - and in this case, was willing to reunite and go on tour all over the world. He wasn't compensated adequately and refused to play ball. Simple.  Sometimes even money isn't enough to bring someone out of retirement, look at Jack Nicholson and Sean Connery -- no amount of money can bring them out of retirement. Doing something for the fans imho means you make a small effort on their behalf to show your appreciation of their support - it doesn't necessarily mean taking huge paycuts or showing up for peanuts at a bar to play to 15 people. To expect a world class musician like Izzy or Steven to do that is just unrealistic and silly. But that's just my take on this whole thing.

I'm not saying any of this makes Axl, Slash & Duff out to be saints but the way people are acting like their the worst people in the world over this is laughable to me. I'm not going to insult a person like Steven but I will say that I don't think he's the most reliable source and I wouldn't take what he says as an exact fact. Again, I wouldn't do that with any of the other guys either though. The truth is... none of know and we'll never know for sure what went on. 

Speaking for myself, isn't it understandable to see the confusion and disgust from some fans with regards to Duff and Slash joining the band given their insistence for the past 2 decades that they would never consider such a thing without the others? Isn't it only reasonable for some of us to think that makes them look very hypocritical? In defense of Axl, atleast he's been up front about the unlikelihood of a full reunion. He owned it and faced the backlash all these years from fans while Duff and Slash played the PR game only to sell out once the pot of gold arrived in the form of a reunion. Sure, circumstances change and this is business, but however you want to look at it, the way this reunion came together and the words of Izzy and Steven do not make Duff and Slash look good.

As far as Adler's credibility - look, most of us are aware he has a tendency to embellish and remember things in a way that absolves him of blame. With that being said, it's not that hard to believe that the band tried to screw him out of his royalties when this same tactic was attempted with Izzy and the others in the band. His story about taking less drugs than others in the band -- well look, he did take a lot of drugs and so I imagine his memory isn't all that great. :P :shrugs:

All I know for sure is that I watched a great majority of forum users complain for a solid 15 years about how all they need in life is Axl & Slash to play together again. If Axl would only stop being such an asshole and just get back together, everything in the universe would make sense and world hunger would be solved. Well, they finally got their wish and a great majority immediately went to look for something else to complain about. Things like this Steven interview give them exactly the ammo they're looking for to support the faux outrage they seem to desperately need.

It's awesome that they are playing together. Even the biggest of naysayers like Diesel Daisy have admitted as much. But once the initial euphoria passed, it became clear that the band feels incomplete without Izzy and to a lesser extent, Steven. It is what it is. Whether that's the fans looking at the situation as the glass is half full or just pointing out what is readily apparent, I have no idea. Perhaps it's a mix of both. Perhaps the nostalgia is clouding everything. Even if there was a full reunion, the odds are not in their favor that a future record would live up to the past. So who knows, maybe it all worked out for the best and we will never know. There is some comfort to be taken in the uncertainty of it all. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

Based on past experiences let me tell you who is an unreliable mother fucker: Axl Rose. Is he being late now? Is he causing riots? Punching audiences? Then why is this still applicable to Izzy and Steven only? :rolleyes:

You got me there. But I think with it being Axl's band, it somewhat voids any argument against him ;) The fact is, Steven and Izzy haven't been around, and Axl's kept the train on the tracks, so it's his way or bust. 

I'm no drumming expert, but to my ears, Steven sounds great on Civil War. His drumming on that song sounds so much better than the plodding style of Sorum. I don't know if he could have played Locomotive or Breakdown, but I wish Steven was on more of UYI. The albums would have sounded better.

12 hours ago, RONIN said:

It's awesome that they are playing together. Even the biggest of naysayers like Diesel Daisy have admitted as much. But once the initial euphoria passed, it became clear that the band feels incomplete without Izzy and to a lesser extent, Steven. It is what it is. Whether that's the fans looking at the situation as the glass is half full or just pointing out what is readily apparent, I have no idea. Perhaps it's a mix of both. Perhaps the nostalgia is clouding everything. Even if there was a full reunion, the odds are not in their favor that a future record would live up to the past. So who knows, maybe it all worked out for the best and we will never know. There is some comfort to be taken in the uncertainty of it all. 

Well said and I agree with many of your points overall. 

For my part; I happen to be just fine with Frnak & 4tus being there but I totally understand how/why others aren't cool with it at all. What I don't understand is how the other side of the fence simply can't or won't see how people like me feel. I touched on that when I went on the Appetite For Distortion podcast the other day. 

• Like 3