NEW Steven Adler interview with Mitch Lafon

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Well said and I agree with many of your points overall. 

For my part; I happen to be just fine with Frnak & 4tus being there but I totally understand how/why others aren't cool with it at all. What I don't understand is how the other side of the fence simply can't or won't see how people like me feel. I touched on that when I went on the Appetite For Distortion podcast the other day. 

You've always been a balanced and even-keeled poster.

It's too bad people can't afford you the same level of civility. I assume it's because most people are so emotionally invested into the band that things become heated quickly. I think it hasn't helped that some of the smaller-leveled players (in the band) have fanned the flames for so long. It looks like everyone has dug themselves their trench to sit in.

cant believe this topic aint getting more noise 

this is sorum's chance to get in now or never 

i'll take it honestly, just need him on NR Estranged fuck anything else - sorum can get back in - he's professional and probably the only thing that makes it an issue is that axl sees him as a threat 

fuck that ... bring him in asap along with izzy 

On 2/19/2017 at 2:20 PM, Natty said:

Enourmous impact? These 5 were Guns N Roses. They wrote Lies ,AFD and UYI. The rest was nothing but replacable musicians who never contributed to a single hit of GNR. 

A hit is subjective in many ways and often pertains little to quality. The quality of CD is present in all songs. 

Nothing but replaceable musicians who never contributed or a tough project recreating something old with something new and no roadmaps. The chicken or the egg. 

43 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

cant believe this topic aint getting more noise 

this is sorum's chance to get in now or never 

i'll take it honestly, just need him on NR Estranged fuck anything else - sorum can get back in - he's professional and probably the only thing that makes it an issue is that axl sees him as a threat 

fuck that ... bring him in asap along with izzy 

would love to have Sorum behind the drum kit. I'm a bit surprised that Sorum gets so much "hate" on this forum. I think he's a great drummer. I liked him in the UYI days.

Edited by estranged_85
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2017 at 7:24 AM, Oldest Goat said:

1. "It's not to say she's wrong for writing it but she is" I read this as you saying it in this way "It's not to say she's wrong for writing it - but she is(wrong). " like a jokey emphasis, so my mistake for that, sorry.(not sarcasm)

2. Wasn't aware you said that. If you think writing the book is okay, why is promoting the book not okay? Why is profiting from her own book not okay?

3. People do dismiss Izzy and Steven. There's already been some fucking stupid posts, for example what @SEPTEM and @MYWIFEMYLIFE have said. I do understand the point of view about Izzy's partnership etc, it's a fair point to make, but considering how much fucking money they are raking in I'd like to be able to think these artists who I am a big fan of, especially Axl, are not greedy cunts and would be willing to give their so-called friends who helped get them where they are a good deal because, you know, money isn't everything? I accept that in the world of business that is a naive and unrealistic expectation but that world can fuck off as far as I am concerned, at least as a GNR fan.

4. Who said Izzy demanded 'huge crazy payments' for his appearance years ago? TB? That is a very one-sided claim from people who don't know their ass from their elbow.

5. Your point about what Steven said a year and a half ago is reasonable. Steven is not a paragon, he has a lot of issues but that doesn't discount him as a human being or an important and original member of Guns N' Roses(certainly at least more important than Frank) or make him a total liar either.

6. I don't blame Axl for everything, I am a big Axl fan. But...he has a lot of issues, maybe as much Steven, certainly not a negligible amount.

7. My guess is that Steven was a bit deluded or at least exaggerated with what he said about how he was going to play all the AFD & LIES songs and a few UYI, he was probably just told "We'll see." then around the time of the Troubadour gig and his minor back injury they clarified to him what the plan was and Duff said what he said because they don't want to stand up for Steven too much and rock Axl's boat. It is unfortunate and they are greedy.

Yea you'd have to read the rest of the sentence. I basically said its not wrong she wrote it but wrong she is trying to use GnR to sale it and profit off it. The book isn't really about GnR from my understanding but her struggles as a parent of an addict. The cover of the book itself and the description use GnR name as does the title. That was my point on it. I guess I see an issue with using the GnR name to sale HER story. I know someone who picked it up thinking it was gonna have some good GnR bits and was dissapointed to find it didn't and the name was used in promotion though it really has nothing to do with it. They did enjoy the story and passed it on to someone who may find some use in it. The person they passed it on to didn't really know who GnR was. I think it would do better and reach more people that it could help even without the whole GnR stuff that's pushed on people.

3 I get as fans wed love to see them just meet everyone's demands despite what it may be but I don't find it realistic. We don't know what was offered. All we know is Izzy wanted equal. Perhaps they offered him a very good amount perhaps not. Again we don't know all the details here and blaming Axl or anyone for not wanting to give him equal I think is wrong. Just because they may be making good money doesn't mean they must sacrifice their integrity or money even for our sakes.

4. Axl chats I believe. Its been so long its sometimes hard to remember where things were said. Someone else said this as well so I'm gonna stick to Axl chats.

5. None of them are paragons really. Again here we are dealing with what we, as the public know. Most of that has come from Steven himself. Rather true or not. So that's all we can spec on. Again were not even sure why Steven isn't performing more or etc. But I can under stand based off his comments alone why they would be worried about his sobriety or what not. The guy has been caught even publicly giving different dates on it. I think Steven is a great guy and deep down he just wants to play music and relive his younger days. His smile is infectious he can light up a room. I love his drumming on AFD but again he is the one who claimed Slash and Duff have issues with him. Its not to say I think he's a total liar I just find it hard to always believe everything that comes from his mouth about situations. I love listening to his interviews though. He's always got great stories. I just know to wait for more info sometimes. As far as Frank goes why would Axl completely kick out a guy who's been by his side faithfully all these years? Rather we as fans understand that or not we once thought something like this may never happen and when we get it we think Axl is just gonna kick the faithful to the side. I commend him for trying to include everyone in some way rather it may not be to everyone's liking or not. You can't please everyone. At the end of the day its about us fans but they don't have to sacrifice their principles and things for us. Its as much about them too.

6. See you may not but the first thing most did was blame Axl. They're upset that Steven showed up for a show he wasn't supposed to and thought he was gonna play. Again those who understand Steven know he has a huge ego. I think he thought he could just show up as he pleases and that's not how contracts work. Of course Steven said Axl made a deal about it but why shouldn't he? Steven is contracted and monies are paid a certain way. He also likely has his set planned down to the end. What I know also is according to Steven himself it was Slash and Duff who have issues with him. So why would people just assume its always Axl? Typical Steven is now trying to say Izzy wants to play too but all we know there is Izzy wants equal share. Again from Izzy's own words. Trying to make the fans hate them because they won't give Izzy equal share is stupid IMO. Again we don't know all the details but equal share sounds unfair when he sold his place out in the partnership receiving money for his equal rights per his own agreement.

7. I agree about Steven possibly assuming when nothing was set in stone but again I don't believe Duff and Slash were afraid of rocking Axls boat. Again I point you to Stevens own comments about Slash and Duff, especially about Duff not thinking he can play. Again, who knows their true feelings all we have is Stevens version on them. He claimed he wasn't sure he'd be involved because of how Slash and Duff feel not Axl.

To me sure maybe its greed or maybe they don't know how sober he really is. Maybe they don't wish to put him in the tour life risking his sobriety. Maybe Frank the guy who's been there is the drummer and Steven who once sued the band and was fired for being unable to perform and drug use just isn't. Perhaps there's other things. Its really GnR business and their decision to make.

We also don't know what Steven was receiving per song he played either. Perhaps they wanted to see how things went you know like a probationary period. That's understandable but as usual Steven showed how quickly he can bad mouth and talk publicly making them look bad.

Edited by BOSSY78
Added
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, estranged_85 said:

would love to have Sorum behind the drum kit. I'm a bit surprised that Sorum gets so much "hate" on this forum. I think he's a great drummer. I liked him in the UYI days.

He is a world class drummer.  Anyone who knows anything about playing drums knows that

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, estranged_85 said:

sorum is classically trained percusionist - his contributions to november rain and estranged cannot be outdone it is pure musicianship at it's best also on DTJM he also exceeds expectations with the velocity and timing towards the outro 

if axl was smart he'd have adler and sorum (who could learn CD easy) moonlight the show and then izzy is in and mixes with gilby at will - the money part is %, the only way for it too make sense moneywise is to get all those classic members involved, say thanks to those aliens, then they could truly charge more money per show and provide the best quality as well 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Huh. I had a comment half typed up saying something similar to that about fifteen minutes ago in reply to the comments about his mother naming the book Sweet Child of Mine how I lost my son to Guns n' Roses. Then deleted it as I decided it was turning into an incredibly long post and decided it wasn't worth the effort of typing up and following that train of thought all the way to the station.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

sorum is classically trained percusionist - his contributions to november rain and estranged cannot be outdone it is pure musicianship at it's best also on DTJM he also exceeds expectations with the velocity and timing towards the outro 

if axl was smart he'd have adler and sorum (who could learn CD easy) moonlight the show and then izzy is in and mixes with gilby at will - the money part is %, the only way for it too make sense moneywise is to get all those classic members involved, say thanks to those aliens, then they could truly charge more money per show and provide the best quality as well 

totally agree. For me it was sort of a let down when Sorum didn't get involved with the "reunion" thing. Yes Adler would be nice in a perfect world but that's not seem to happen anyway.. yet..

With Sorum there's not one thing to complain about. perfect drumming all the time.  Ferrer.. hmm well i rather hear him play in some local funk band instead.

Edited by estranged_85
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, estranged_85 said:

totally agree. For me it was sort of a let down when Sorum didn't get involved with the "reunion" thing. Yes Adler would be nice in a perfect world but that's not seem to happen anyway.. yet..

With Sorum there's not one thing to complain about. perfect drumming all the time.  Ferrer.. hmm well i rather hear him play in some local funk band instead.

sorum and izzy have to get involved now - axl's legacy will continue to be a tyrant if he doesn't compromise on some level to include those who made him as big as he is, he certainly didn't do it by himself 

i can agree that adler's delusional mindset may sway the band off the rails, but there are seemingly no significant risk issues with sorum and izzy 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

The time for the 5 to come together and play was the Hall of Fame induction, and some of them wasted it by not showing up.

I disagree, I think the time to come together would be on a more significant occasion like, idk just spit balling, like an anniversary of a momentus moment. Like considering that Appetite was history making, maybe reuniting on the anniversary of that would be huge. Me thinks...

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, Natty said:

Enourmous impact? These 5 were Guns N Roses. They wrote Lies ,AFD and UYI. The rest was nothing but replacable musicians who never contributed to a single hit of GNR. 

Axl chose them to be part  of it. Personally I have nothing against them , but come on Frank deserves to be in GNR ? Why? Because once he was in what did he do that was special or what historic GNR songs did he compose??? He shut his mouth and played songs from other peiple. Gnr is not Frank s band but his Employer.

This. Same goes for Richard. And they've at least recorded something for the band, they didn't create anything though. Steven created the opening to Mr Brownstone and even he didn't recognize what the hell was being played til the first verse :lol:

In his defense most fans didn't either

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:10 PM, xBrownstonex said:

People here are too busy creating their own version of what happened (yes, we have a side of the story, but only one) and jumping to conclusions. And those conclusions are coming from the versiom of the guy who says he wasnt fired for using drugs and that he was the heart and soul of the band.. come on.

If we'd get axls or duffs version, i guess everything wouldnt be as terrible as some make it out to be. You need to chill, this isnt life or death. Yes, the argentina story seems fucked up, but who the fuck knows what really happened or what the initial deal was? 

Actions speak louder than words sometimes. The band could say something, yet they don't. That really says it all..

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:21 AM, Eddie Money said:

From what I have heard, Steven nor Izzy were invited for anything more than guest roles in the first place. They were going to have Steven at the Troubadour, Vegas, Coachella, and Mexico City in opening and closing slots.  When they all met at rehearsals, nobody believed Steven could play full shows.  Axl had told Slash, Duff, Beta/Del that it was okay to invite Steven down to rehearse with the understanding that Frank would play the majority of the shows and that Axl had to agree to Duff/Slash's recommendation of where they should let him play.  So I guess Steven doesn't seem to be lying but just exaggerating and stretching the truth a bit.  The interview makes it seem like he was in for the entire tour and that he would play as much if not more than frank. 

Regardless of how things really went down, I feel really bad for Steven and his Argentina story.  that was his big moment to shine in front of his wife's family and Axl made him feel small  it seems like he's taking it okay though   A few years ago, such an experience would have Steven so upset that he'd be calling up Dr Drew and asking if he can come back to Celebrity Rehab  

''

Wow, interesting stuff. Can you elaborate more on the intended role of izzy?? Like, was Izzy supposed to be at the same shows and the Same songs? Would he have gotten Dust N Bones for example? Did Izzy even rehearse?

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, starlight said:

Everybody owes somebody something.

GNR is also Steven and Izzy's band. They wrote the music that made GNR famous unllke Frank and Fortus.

And this was my point when it came to determining the band. Ok, so why do fans love Guns N Roses? Did people become a fan of the band because of Chinese Democracy? Spoiler: No. A very small majority, if that. It was the 85-93 Era that people consider it to be Guns N Roses. So that's appetite, lies, and UYI. Spaghetti are only covers. Therefore, only Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy were Guns N Roses. No disrespect to Gilby Clarke, great person and a great musician but he filled in for Izzy. He didn't create anything or record anything new, but he was cool to have and deserves a medal for it. But, when it comes to the core albums, Appetite, lies and the illusion records, what they all have in common is Axl, Slash, Izzy and Duff being the core of Guns N Roses considering they created all that material. You needed those 4 at least, to be GNR. Adler and Sorum created their drum parts, probably even Adler more, and Dizzy put the final touches on the illusion songs that needed them. Different drummers and different styles, but they worked. Therefore, those 4 should be reuniting over everybody else. That's my case.

Idk...I don't want to get too repetitive but it's just amazing to me. Axl, Slash and Duff no one can argue. There's no alternative or argument against Dizzy. With rhythm guitar, I understand Axl's loyalty to Richard. Fortus said it in his interview, he was on tour with Prince when Axl offered him the gig and Fortus was non-negotiable about finishing the tour with Prince. Axl respected it and said "I'll wait for you because you would never abruptly quit and leave me high and dry". Therefore in Axl's mind, Fortus is the guitar player for as long he wants to be due to loyalty. When frankly, there would be no Richard Fortus in GNR without Izzy being there first considering the material Fortus played every night's was Izzy's.. Anyways, Fortus being there or not being there should have really been based on what Izzy wanted to do first. And besides, all of Axl's GNR versions had 3 guitar players so how could that have been a problem?

Steven I can understand him not playing the whole show...I do. There's still tons of GNR material he didn't play on which is why I could understand keeping Frank around, although ideally you'd want Sorum but hey, Frank's cheaper right? Franks been loyal too so, he should have a role. But man... it's just so amazing how difficult it is to get the appetite 5 on stage, and considering they're all still alive and playing well and the reason they're not up there is over money is embarrassing. They should know better and have learned from their elder mistakes...

Black Sabbath just retired. And I think it was Tony Iommi who recently said "Boy I really wished we did get Bill Ward in here". Now, too little too late for them. Cmon guys...

end rant

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

And this was my point when it came to determining the band. Ok, so why do fans love Guns N Roses? Did people become a fan of the band because of Chinese Democracy? Spoiler: No. A very small majority, if that. It was the 85-93 Era that people consider it to be Guns N Roses. So that's appetite, lies, and UYI. Spaghetti are only covers. Therefore, only Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy were Guns N Roses. No disrespect to Gilby Clarke, great person and a great musician but he filled in for Izzy. He didn't create anything or record anything new, but he was cool to have and deserves a medal for it. But, when it comes to the core albums, Appetite, lies and the illusion records, what they all have in common is Axl, Slash, Izzy and Duff being the core of Guns N Roses considering they created all that material. You needed those 4 at least, to be GNR. Adler and Sorum created their drum parts, probably even Adler more, and Dizzy put the final touches on the illusion songs that needed them. Different drummers and different styles, but they worked. Therefore, those 4 should be reuniting over everybody else. That's my case.

Idk...I don't want to get too repetitive but it's just amazing to me. Axl, Slash and Duff no one can argue. There's no alternative or argument against Dizzy. With rhythm guitar, I understand Axl's loyalty to Richard. Fortus said it in his interview, he was on tour with Prince when Axl offered him the gig and Fortus was non-negotiable about finishing the tour with Prince. Axl respected it and said "I'll wait for you because you would never abruptly quit and leave me high and dry". Therefore in Axl's mind, Fortus is the guitar player for as long he wants to be due to loyalty. When frankly, there would be no Richard Fortus in GNR without Izzy being there first considering the material Fortus played every night's was Izzy's.. Anyways, Fortus being there or not being there should have really been based on what Izzy wanted to do first. And besides, all of Axl's GNR versions had 3 guitar players so how could that have been a problem?

Steven I can understand him not playing the whole show...I do. There's still tons of GNR material he didn't play on which is why I could understand keeping Frank around, although ideally you'd want Sorum but hey, Frank's cheaper right? Franks been loyal too so, he should have a role. But man... it's just so amazing how difficult it is to get the appetite 5 on stage, and considering they're all still alive and playing well and the reason they're not up there is over money is embarrassing. They should know better and have learned from their elder mistakes...

Black Sabbath just retired. And I think it was Tony Iommi who recently said "Boy I really wished we did get Bill Ward in here". Now, too little too late for them. Cmon guys...

end rant

The thing is Tonmy has always wanted Bill in there.  The beef in Sabbath is between Ozzy and Bill.

With GnR it now sounds to me like it's a money issue with Steven and obviously Izzy.  The more they are involved, the less loot for the others, especially the Big Three.  I'm not seeing where this is just an Axl issue with Stevenand Izzy not being there, it's a Big Three issue. 

6 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

The thing is Tonmy has always wanted Bill in there.  The beef in Sabbath is between Ozzy and Bill.

With GnR it now sounds to me like it's a money issue with Steven and obviously Izzy.  The more they are involved, the less loot for the others, especially the Big Three.  I'm not seeing where this is just an Axl issue with Stevenand Izzy not being there, it's a Big Three issue. 

Well if it is a big 3 vs adler/izzy issue, then I'd be really pissed reading Duff or Slash say in a couple of years "Frank and Richard were awesome but, boy I rally wished Izzy and Steven were there". I mean man...it seems like they'd be getting a nice piece of the loot no matter what. That's what frustrates me the most.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Just a thought: I noticed in the official social media thread that Mitch Lafon posted that the whole interview happened because Adler called him. I wonder how Eddie Trunk feels about this...

Maybe Steven called him and Trunk refused to do the interview because Slash and Duff might get mad and he's jusssst about to interview them :lol: