NEW Steven Adler interview with Mitch Lafon

6 hours ago, Gunner927 said:
6 hours ago, Padme said:

You are making contradictory statements. First you said that nobody would believe Axl's side of the story. And at the end you said you need to hear both sides from a reliable source. If Axl tells his side of the story with enough details, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Adler also talked with Eddie Trunk. He said he had a meeting with Slash and Duff to talk to him about the reunion. He said he even signed a contract with Duff. That doesn't sound to me Slash and Duff had issues with Adler. Otherwise they would've never met with him.

Adler said he has talked to Izzy and he is in touch with him. Adler also said he would ask Izzy to do and interview with Trunk. It seems it is possible Izzy could back up what Adler has said

If Axl did tell his I side, I fully believe a large percentage of people would think he is just bullshitting them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to hear his side, or that literally everyone would think he's lying. And there are other reliable sources aside from Axl, at least, more reliable than Steven. Hell, there's also Duff or Slash.

And just because Slash and Duff didn't have problems with Steven initially, that doesn't mean that they couldn't have risen during his guest appearances. He also said when Duff called to tell him about the Troubadour show that he was "the worst fucking person on the planet". So...

Izzy could very well corroborate Adler's side of things, but until he does, it's still only Adler's word - which I just don't trust.

Adler had said in December 2015 that Slash didn't believe he was sober, Duff didn't think he was cool, etc. If it's true, it seems that at first Slash and Duff were reluctant (or at least hesitant) to involve Steven in the reunion. Then they decided to let him be a part in some capacity, they talked to Axl, Axl said ok, so they met with Steven.

Edited by Blackstar

13 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

This. And "he is emotionally unstable". Oh, cause the singer of this band is actually the most emotionally stable person in the world. :facepalm: But we know how this works, such things only apply to Steven and Izzy, not Axl. He is stable, he never did fuck up any shows, he never shit talked any friends (hello cancer Slash) ... No. 

Exactly people went after Slash and Duff in the same manner. All the same below the belt character assignations. Izzy was praised for joining Axl and Nuguns onstage. Now Slash, Duff & Axl are brothers while Izzy is the guy who doesn't dedicate himself 100% to band, lazy, only cares about money etc 

if Izzy and Steven make an official return they will all be seen as brothers or a gang. Even if loot is a factor. That's all we really want 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

This. And "he is emotionally unstable". Oh, cause the singer of this band is actually the most emotionally stable person in the world. :facepalm: But we know how this works, such things only apply to Steven and Izzy, not Axl. He is stable, he never did fuck up any shows, he never shit talked any friends (hello cancer Slash) ... No. 

What the hell are you talking about? How could there be a reunion without Axl? And dont you see a difference between the guy who is the band's frontman, singer, the band's main public personality and charisma and the composer of a majority of songs and a drummer who was kicked out in 1990 cause he was so fucked up he couldnt fucking play?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

Hate to tell you this, but bringing up all of Axl's potential flaws doesn't exactly make a case for other people who may potentially have those same flaws. It would actually make a stronger case against them. Not if there is any chance for things to succeed.

Fair or not, you can not have Guns n' Roses without Axl.

10 minutes ago, Asia said:

What the hell are you talking about? How could there be a reunion without Axl? And dont you see a difference between the guy who is the band's frontman, singer, the band's main public personality and charisma and the composer of a majority of songs and a drummer who was kicked out in 1990 cause he was so fucked up he couldnt fucking play?

I see everything, my sight is perfectly fine. ;)

I already explained what I was talking about and I think my point is clear so I'm not going to repeat it just cause you don't like it. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Asia said:

I've actually gotten lost in what you're arguing mate? 

Yes steben has flaws, yes Steven was kicked out (quite rightly) for not being able to record his parts back in the day. 

But if we are dealing with what went down in Argentina, then it's becoming more obvious that even though Steven may have misinterpreted what night he was supposed to play, or even what level of involvement he was supposed to have, the bottom line is, if it went down how steben said, then Axl didn't deal with it well. 

I said similar to Eddie Money the other day, Axl doesn't deal with things well, it's alright to say "oh who wants to deal with Stevens shit" but ate these guys incapable of dealing with anything these days? 

FFS, they don't deal with the media because of what might get said, they can't deal with Steven, fuck it's like we are dealing with3 year olds! They are all grown men! It's high time people grew up, it's like no one is capable of dealing with anything? 

Steven could play the shows, anyone that says he couldn't is clearly talking shit. 

Axl won't entertain it for obvious reasons. 

My life will go on. 

Your life will go on. 

Jesus still hasn't turned up, but the pay off should be awesome so those who are still waiting have options ?

21 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

I've actually gotten lost in what you're arguing mate? 

Yes steben has flaws, yes Steven was kicked out (quite rightly) for not being able to record his parts back in the day. 

But if we are dealing with what went down in Argentina, then it's becoming more obvious that even though Steven may have misinterpreted what night he was supposed to play, or even what level of involvement he was supposed to have, the bottom line is, if it went down how steben said, then Axl didn't deal with it well. 

I said similar to Eddie Money the other day, Axl doesn't deal with things well, it's alright to say "oh who wants to deal with Stevens shit" but ate these guys incapable of dealing with anything these days? 

FFS, they don't deal with the media because of what might get said, they can't deal with Steven, fuck it's like we are dealing with3 year olds! They are all grown men! It's high time people grew up, it's like no one is capable of dealing with anything? 

Steven could play the shows, anyone that says he couldn't is clearly talking shit. 

Axl won't entertain it for obvious reasons. 

My life will go on. 

Your life will go on. 

Jesus still hasn't turned up, but the pay off should be awesome so those who are still waiting have options ?

I know your post was aimed at someone else but wanted to chime in a bit.

So..If you go in to work when your not scheduled and demand to work anyway do you think your boss or anyone's boss for that matter would be like " oh Sure let me send this guy away and appease you"? No that's not how things work. Rather as fans we like it or not Steven received over 2 million for his share in the bands partnership after suing the band. He would never be allowed back in said partnership and is now an employee.

Rather or not you or anyone thinks they should have or shouldn't held on to Steven when he was to high to play and couldn't function is beyond anything. Its done and over with. Same goes for Izzy and his whole equal loot comment.

I'm not saying Steven expected equal loot but surely he doesn't think he can show up when he pleases and when not scheduled and demand to play.

How many times has Axl said he doesn't trust media because they have misconstrued or quoted him and other band members incorrectly? They're not stupid they know in an uncontrolled scenario people are going to ask questions that as a band on a whole they are trying to move on from. Perhaps certain things are better left in the past that way old angers and frustrations don't come up that they have been working to get past. Perhaps like last time he went to forums people still bashed him and didn't really give his story validation much. 

You know I wonder if Steven wouldnt have had more songs had he just showed he is trustworthy. Instead he is bashing them in the media and his mother has made some comments that were very negative and she doesn't know what she's talking about half the time when it comes to GnR business.

His own mother forged power of attorney and was sued or threatened to be sued by Steven in 2007. I can't imagine the band trusts her very much. 

Edited by BOSSY78
Added
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

So..If you go in to work when your not scheduled and demand to work anyway do you think your boss or anyone's boss for that matter would be like " oh Sure let me send this guy away and appease you"? No that's not how things work. Rather as fans we like it or not Steven received over 2 million for his share in the bands partnership after suing the band. He would never be allowed back in said partnership and is now an employee.

Rather or not you or anyone thinks they should have or shouldn't held on to Steven when he was to high to play and couldn't function is beyond anything. Its done and over with. Same goes for Izzy and his whole equal loot comment.

I'm not saying Steven expected equal loot but surely he doesn't think he can show up when he pleases and when not scheduled and demand to play.

How many times has Axl said he doesn't trust media because they have misconstrued or quoted him and other band members incorrectly? They're not stupid they know in an uncontrolled scenario people are going to ask questions that as a band on a whole they are trying to move on from. Perhaps certain things are better left in the past that way old angers and frustrations don't come up that they have been working to get past. Perhaps like last time he went to forums people still bashed him and didn't really give his story validation much. 

You know I wonder if Steven wouldnt have had more songs had he just showed he is trustworthy. Instead he is bashing them in the media and his mother has made some comments that were very negative and she doesn't know what she's talking about half the time when it comes to GnR business.

His own mother forged power of attorney and was sued or threatened to be sued by Steven in 2007. I can't imagine the band trusts her very much. 

None of what you saying is over the top, and I agree with all of it. 

As others have said this forum (me included) are dealing with topics we don't have a full range of information on, therefore we are all under informed. We all make comments based on what we think we know, me included. 

The only time I get annoyed is when people pass their opinions off as fact when it's clearly up for debate.

at the end of the day, the fan base feeds off scraps of info, the forums go into overdrive, and then we get a thread like this. 

I get what you are saying by the way, but we don't even really know what has happened or what was said... For what it's worth, I don't have a side, I'm not pro Axl in not team slash, I just like GNR. So I'm not really invested either way against the other. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Asia said:

Look people, it is irrelevant wheather this tour is a cash grab or no cash grab (whatever your definition is), NOONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would ever seirously consider Steven Adler to be a part of something this big and important, especially as the main drummer. Just because it so cool for some to bash Axl and now also Slash and Duff and turn the leftover Izzys and Stevens into some walking true rock'n' roll saints dosn't have to mean that you have to lose all rationality :shrugs:

Steven Adler is a heavy drug addict, who FUCKED UP EVERY SINGLE UNDERTAKING HE STARTED SINCE 1990 for fuck's sake! And the comparison to Slash and Duff being addicts as well holds no water whatsoever because regardless of their state they never fucked up a single tour - be it GNR or outside of GNR due to their addiction, they never suddenly disappeared for 2 years leaving the other musicians in the hotel with the tour to fuck themselves with. Adler did that repeatedly. Can't you see the difference, really? Plus they're sober for years and Adler is supposedly sober two years or something which we have no idea whether is true cause he had been lying about his sobriety a million times before.

Truth is the guy hasn't even faced the facts yet, which is the first step to conquer addiction and for God's sake he still believes that it was Axl who ruined his career in GNR and his life, not drugs. The guy is completely delusional and still living his sick drug-addict denial-inspired version of reality!

Also, something you apparently don't see in him and it surprises me is that he is emotionally unstable and a bit retarded, probably as a result of the long years of drug abuse. He changes his mind about who he loves and who he hates every five minutes, today he wants to hug somebody and cry on his lap, tomorrow he wants to kill them and he has to share each of these emotions with the press. Is it really normal? Do normal grown-up people do this? Additionally, he pretty much does everything his monster-mother tells him to. At times he might be sweet and endeering, I agree, but let's face it, the guy is a walking catastrophe for anyone who wants serious business with him. You coud just as well try to do serious business with a dysfunctional 12-year old. They'd have to be sick in the heads or suicidal to want him instead of Frank.

I am not saying Axl, Slash and Duff are saints, far from it. They wanted good, I believe, but they played it out in a wrong way and probably should have never offered any spot in the reunion to Steven. The Argentina thing was a fuck-up, they shouldn't have given him one song, it was offensive. They also should do many things they're not doing, not do many things they are doing, bla, bla, bla but to draw conslusions like - this is just cashgrab, Axl is forcing everything on everyone (as if Slash and Duff had no say in whether they wanted the reunion or not), this is not meant to last long and all that kind of shit just because Steven talks some shit again is pure craziness. We know almost nothing but we do know that all three of them seem to be genuinly happy, much happier than they have been in years and greatly enjoying this tour. They get along well, surprisingly well as they have all stated. And I don't believe this is just because they think of the cheques all of the time, if it was all just about the money, they could have done it 20 years ago.

The three of them have been the only ones out of the five who have kept busy in the rock'n'roll world for the last 20 years. Adler is a dysfunctional addict since 1990 or earlier, Izzy doesn't even care to tour or promote his own music, he's a recluse. Slash and Duff have been hardworking and creative all these years, Axl is Axl but he did tour the world extensively despite the different circumstances and shit. They are also the ones who stayed in the band the longest. Izzy and Steven didn't even make it past the first real moment of fame. And they didn't prove themselves as actual working musicians in their solo careers at all. In these circumstances is it really surprising that Axl, Slash and Duff wanting a prrofessional, successful band chose not to rely on those who haven't been in one such band for the last 20 plus years and never even showed any true interest and effort of being in a band like that? To me it is quite understandable.

Post of the f'n year right here. Great job.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2017 at 11:20 AM, tsinindy said:

None of these are facts as far as you or I know.  They may all be facts or none of them may be facts or some of them facts.  But, at this point all you are doing is being a hypocrit.

this is a fact:

Steven said Duff called him and told him he was out.  That doesn't make it a fact.  It's a fact if that is what actually happened...do you know that's what happened? Were you there? Or are you taking Stevens word for it. The fact of this matter is that is what Steven said, that's it.

Apply this same criteria to the rest of your supposed "facts".

Were you there in WWII when millions of people died? No, doesn't mean it's not a fact. I will admit Steven can be biased and I don't agree with everything he says but this fact does seem sane and logical. To say something isn't true because you didn't see it happen is borderline conspiracizing.

As for the other facts, it has been confirmed in interviews given by Axl, Duff, and I believe Fortus. Duff and Axl both confirmed that he and Slash opted to play CD songs. Fact. Old band members from the nu era have stated "it really just boiled down to us needing a guitarist and a bassist". The plan wasn't to rebuild, it was for Slash and Duff to work with what they had because they wanted to. Fact. From there, we can conclude that Slash and Duff worked with Axl and the three of them made decisions together.

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Were you there in WWII when millions of people died? No, doesn't mean it's not a fact. I will admit Steven can be biased and I don't agree with everything he says but this fact does seem sane and logical. To say something isn't true because you didn't see it happen is borderline conspiracizing.

Do you seriously lack the ability to critically think?  I believe Steven too, still doesn't NECESSARILY mean its a fact.  A

Obviously Slash opted to play CD songs...I've seen him play them as have you.  That isn't the fact in question.  And, again just because "nu era guys said so" doesn't make anything a fact.  It is what they said.  Get real man, if you are going to believe eveyrthing everyone says, then I have some prime real estate to sell you.  Drawing inferences doesn't make things facts either.......it makes them theories or hypotheses that may or may not be true, my goodness.  

Edited by tsinindy

On February 23, 2017 at 5:45 PM, Asia said:

Look people, it is irrelevant wheather this tour is a cash grab or no cash grab (whatever your definition is), NOONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would ever seirously consider Steven Adler to be a part of something this big and important, especially as the main drummer. Just because it so cool for some to bash Axl and now also Slash and Duff and turn the leftover Izzys and Stevens into some walking true rock'n' roll saints dosn't have to mean that you have to lose all rationality :shrugs:

Steven Adler is a heavy drug addict, who FUCKED UP EVERY SINGLE UNDERTAKING HE STARTED SINCE 1990 for fuck's sake! And the comparison to Slash and Duff being addicts as well holds no water whatsoever because regardless of their state they never fucked up a single tour - be it GNR or outside of GNR due to their addiction, they never suddenly disappeared for 2 years leaving the other musicians in the hotel with the tour to fuck themselves with. Adler did that repeatedly. Can't you see the difference, really? Plus they're sober for years and Adler is supposedly sober two years or something which we have no idea whether is true cause he had been lying about his sobriety a million times before.

Truth is the guy hasn't even faced the facts yet, which is the first step to conquer addiction and for God's sake he still believes that it was Axl who ruined his career in GNR and his life, not drugs. The guy is completely delusional and still living his sick drug-addict denial-inspired version of reality!

Also, something you apparently don't see in him and it surprises me is that he is emotionally unstable and a bit retarded, probably as a result of the long years of drug abuse. He changes his mind about who he loves and who he hates every five minutes, today he wants to hug somebody and cry on his lap, tomorrow he wants to kill them and he has to share each of these emotions with the press. Is it really normal? Do normal grown-up people do this? Additionally, he pretty much does everything his monster-mother tells him to. At times he might be sweet and endeering, I agree, but let's face it, the guy is a walking catastrophe for anyone who wants serious business with him. You coud just as well try to do serious business with a dysfunctional 12-year old. They'd have to be sick in the heads or suicidal to want him instead of Frank.

I am not saying Axl, Slash and Duff are saints, far from it. They wanted good, I believe, but they played it out in a wrong way and probably should have never offered any spot in the reunion to Steven. The Argentina thing was a fuck-up, they shouldn't have given him one song, it was offensive. They also should do many things they're not doing, not do many things they are doing, bla, bla, bla but to draw conslusions like - this is just cashgrab, Axl is forcing everything on everyone (as if Slash and Duff had no say in whether they wanted the reunion or not), this is not meant to last long and all that kind of shit just because Steven talks some shit again is pure craziness. We know almost nothing but we do know that all three of them seem to be genuinly happy, much happier than they have been in years and greatly enjoying this tour. They get along well, surprisingly well as they have all stated. And I don't believe this is just because they think of the cheques all of the time, if it was all just about the money, they could have done it 20 years ago.

The three of them have been the only ones out of the five who have kept busy in the rock'n'roll world for the last 20 years. Adler is a dysfunctional addict since 1990 or earlier, Izzy doesn't even care to tour or promote his own music, he's a recluse. Slash and Duff have been hardworking and creative all these years, Axl is Axl but he did tour the world extensively despite the different circumstances and shit. They are also the ones who stayed in the band the longest. Izzy and Steven didn't even make it past the first real moment of fame. And they didn't prove themselves as actual working musicians in their solo careers at all. In these circumstances is it really surprising that Axl, Slash and Duff wanting a prrofessional, successful band chose not to rely on those who haven't been in one such band for the last 20 plus years and never even showed any true interest and effort of being in a band like that? To me it is quite understandable.

I'm out of likes but I gotta say, this post really spoke to me and has given me a new perspective on some things.

As much as I love Steven as a drummer and think he means well deep down, and as much as I love izzy for his badassery and think he's a great songwriter, neither of the two seem the type to be able to handle a full-fledged tour in present day. i can respect Axl/slash/duff for moving on without them. and if they really do put out a new record, I'll respect them even more.

Id love for izzy and Steven to show up for a cameo together (maybe AFD's 30th), and maybe contribute to new material in some shape or form, but I'm fine with them not being full-timers at this point.

Edited by rocknroll41

13 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

You know I wonder if Steven wouldnt have had more songs had he just showed he is trustworthy. Instead he is bashing them in the media and his mother has made some comments that were very negative and she doesn't know what she's talking about half the time when it comes to GnR business

Don't put this on Steven now. They had one year to do it right, but chose to treat him like shit and only gave him breadcrumbs, which fell off the table. Steven kept his mouth shut for one year. What happens now is on them.

• Like 2

On 23.2.2017 at 11:45 PM, Asia said:

And yet Steven never demanded to be the main or only drummer. He just wants to play his songs and not having to watch somebody else play his songs. He is fne with an additional drummer being there playing the other songs

• Like 3

On 24.2.2017 at 2:23 AM, Darkenchantress said:

This literally makes zero sense. Some people (especially Izzy's fans I notice) love to throw out the whole "But X also applies to Axl, so your argument is invalid" nonsense, but you fail to see the crucial difference between Steven and Axl: Axl is irreplacable, and Steven is not.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how reliable or emotionally unstable Axl is or was because there is no GNR without Axl. Hardly anyone will go to see a show made up of only Sluff or even Sluff plus Izzy and Steven. Some hardcore fans, sure, but nothing of this magnitude. The general public won't give a fuck. But as the NITL tour shows, they can be perfectly successfull without Steven around.

Put yourself in Slash's and Duff's shoes: No matter what, they have to deal with at least one emotionally unstable man-child with a truckload of issues. Obviously they're going to choose the guy who's the face of the band (along with Slash), who wrote a lot of the songs, who brings in the dough and makes this whole thing possible, who seems a bit more rational these days, who they have a closer personal connection with, etc. over the guy who only matters to a couple of hardcore fans and who they've been avoiding like the plague for the past couple of years.

It's also perfectly possible that they don't feel like dealing with two emotionally unstable man-children. They already have to deal with Axl, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to add another one into the mix.

Also this:

On 24.2.2017 at 3:02 AM, sanity_lost said:

Hate to tell you this, but bringing up all of Axl's potential flaws doesn't exactly make a case for other people who may potentially have those same flaws. It would actually make a stronger case against them. Not if there is any chance for things to succeed.

Fair or not, you can not have Guns n' Roses without Axl.

On 24.2.2017 at 2:48 AM, Asia said:

-------------------

On 24.2.2017 at 1:33 AM, Blackstar said:

Adler had said in December 2015 that Slash didn't believe he was sober, Duff didn't think he was cool, etc. If it's true, it seems that at first Slash and Duff were reluctant (or at least hesitant) to involve Steven in the reunion. Then they decided to let him be a part in some capacity, they talked to Axl, Axl said ok, so they met with Steven.

Exactly. People are so quick to jump at a chance to blame Axl for everything that they conveniently love to forget that Slash and Duff have been treating Steven like shit for years as well. Or maybe Slash and Duff were justified in their treatment of Steven, who knows. Once again, we've only heard Steven's side of the story, Slash and Duff might view things quite differently.

But either way, it's not like Slash and Duff are best buddies with Steven, who had to bend to the will of evil Axl on this whole issue. It's perfectly possible Slash and Duff didn't and don't want Steven involved all that much either (especially in Duff's case). But sure, let's simply blame Axl everyone, easier that way.

None of the original 5 are saints or victims in any of this. They're all pretty fucked up in their own unique ways.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 3

On 23.2.2017 at 11:45 PM, Asia said:

--------------

We know almost nothing but we do know that all three of them seem to be genuinly happy, much happier than they have been in years and greatly enjoying this tour. They get along well, surprisingly well as they have all stated. And I don't believe this is just because they think of the cheques all of the time, if it was all just about the money, they could have done it 20 years ago.

Yep, the comparison of Steven with Slash and Duff makes no sense, just like the comparison with Axl I pointed out above makes no sense.

And the thing about Steven being sober- apparently not even Slash believed Steven on that one. And you know, Slash knows him better than anyone here, it's perfectly possible Slash was right about not believing him. So I really wouldn't take Steven's claims about his sobriety as facts either, like some people here do.

As for the rest, ngl, if GNR were my band or business, there's no way in hell I'd want Steven anywhere near it. Can't really blame the big 3 if I consider things from that point of view.

Honestly, I'm surprised they even threw him a bone. Wouldn't have expected it and wouldn't have done it myself most likely in their position and it seems like doing that is coming back to bite them in the ass now.

--------------------------

And yep, it's ridiculous to say it's only about the money. You can't fake the way they're interacting and smiling at each other. That's some real and honest joy and smiles you can see during every damn show basically.

(Not denying money was one of the main factors involved in this, but it's pretty unfair and dumb to say it was the only one.)

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yep, the comparison of Steven with Slash and Duff makes no sense, just like the comparison with Axl I pointed out above makes no sense.

And the thing about Steven being sober- apparently not even Slash believed Steven on that one. And you know, Slash knows him better than anyone here, it's perfectly possible Slash was right about not believing him. So I really wouldn't take Steven's claims about his sobriety as facts either, like some people here do.

As for the rest, ngl, if GNR were my band or business, there's no way in hell I'd want Steven anywhere near it. Can't really blame the big 3 if I consider things from that point of view.

Honestly, I'm surprised they even threw him a bone. Wouldn't have expected it and wouldn't have done it myself most likely in their position and it seems like doing that is coming back to bite them in the ass now.

--------------------------

And yep, it's ridiculous to say it's only about the money. You can't fake the way they're interacting and smiling at each other. That's some real and honest joy and smiles you can see during every damn show basically.

(Not denying money was one of the main factors involved in this, but it's pretty unfair and dumb to say it was the only one.)

Yeah, hundred percent all of this and the post above. I might also add as far as Axl's lack of credibility goes, that most likely, if he was just a drummer and had done for the band no more than Adler has done, he'd probably also be excluded from the reunion.

And yes I agree with you, Frey, I am also surprised they ever took him, it was such a stupid decision. I was certain they wouldn't. I was even telling my friend that they'll soon prove the world how heartless they are once again (sort of jokingly) by leaving a wining Steve out of it.  They didn't and it did not end well. Anyway they now got the one final proof that they should never do it again.

And, sorry, regardless of how mistreated Adler felt and how much he had or didn't have the right to feel mistreated, what he's doing now is stupid and pathetic and he's proving himself an unreliable, untrustworthy idiot with this. And don't anyone try to convince me he has the right to feel bad and speak about it. Really? What if you feel not exactly cool with how your friends or boss or collegues at work have treated you? Do you immediately go to all social media and wine about it to all of their followers and everyone who knows them? I don't think so... Why? Because this is lame behavior.

Anyway I am personally 100% sure that it doesn't matter how many songs Adler would get. He'd still feel it wasn't enough and wine about it left and right. And even if he got the entire gig, he'd still go around the press wining that Axl treats him like shit, that Slash and Duff spend too little time with him, that people there don't treat him the way he deserves, that there's no Izzy or that there is Izzy but there is also Melissa or that there is a piano in GN'R songs or whatever. Because that's just who Steven is. He might be the original drummer for this band and yes he made the greatest drums to fit their legendary album and yet it is best to avoid him.

Edited by Asia
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Asia said:

And, sorry, regardless of how mistreated Adler felt and how much he had or didn't have the right to feel mistreated, what he's doing now is stupid and pathetic and he's proving himself an unreliable, untrustworthy idiot with this. And don't anyone try to convince me he has the right to feel bad and speak about it. Really? What if you feel not exactly cool with how your friends or boss or collegues at work have treated you? Do you immediately go to all social media and wine about it to all of their followers and everyone who knows them? I don't think so... Why? Because this is lame behavior.

Eh... while I personally wouldn't do it I can't blame someone else for not biting their tongue about getting a rotten deal (in their view).

On the other hand I also wouldn't expect the people they are talking about to accept them back with open arms either.

Edited by sanity_lost

8 hours ago, Frey said:

This literally makes zero sense. Some people (especially Izzy's fans I notice) love to throw out the whole "But X also applies to Axl, so your argument is invalid" nonsense, but you fail to see the crucial difference between Steven and Axl: Axl is irreplacable, and Steven is not.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how reliable or emotionally unstable Axl is or was because there is no GNR without Axl. Hardly anyone will go to see a show made up of only Sluff or even Sluff plus Izzy and Steven. Some hardcore fans, sure, but nothing of this magnitude. The general public won't give a fuck. But as the NITL tour shows, they can be perfectly successfull without Steven around.

Well that's true, Axl is irreplaceable and he's certainly a more vital component than Adler -- I think most rational people would agree with you. But as we've seen, Axl by himself is hardly a draw. Nu guns were reduced to a pathetic state by the end of their run. Axl and Slash need each other to make this tour work. As others have pointed out before, the novelty is wearing off fast. It's anyone's guess whether the next round of tour dates in North America will achieve the same success as last year's dates. We shall see. Either way, they need to either add some new marketing to the mix (a new album, AFD5 reunion) or it will get stale fast and they will be doing arenas soon in North America.

Put yourself in Slash's and Duff's shoes: No matter what, they have to deal with at least one emotionally unstable man-child with a truckload of issues. Obviously they're going to choose the guy who's the face of the band (along with Slash), who wrote a lot of the songs, who brings in the dough and makes this whole thing possible, who seems a bit more rational these days, who they have a closer personal connection with, etc. over the guy who only matters to a couple of hardcore fans and who they've been avoiding like the plague for the past couple of years.

It's also perfectly possible that they don't feel like dealing with two emotionally unstable man-children. They already have to deal with Axl, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to add another one into the mix.

Look, Steven is a huge liability. Aside from a few die hards, most of us are aware of this. All we're saying is, if the right incentive was presented, he would have shaped up (give the guy credit, he didn't open his mouth for an entire year) and if not, Frank could have stepped in. That could have easily worked out. They didn't want him there clearly. There was little effort made in bringing Adler and Izzy back into the fold and THAT is why some fans are irritated. That and Duff/Slash looking like giant hypocrites. Like you said, perhaps Duff and Slash can barely stand working with him (seems to be the case) and Axl clearly dislikes the guy. Whatever it is, let's not use the crutch that it's simply Steven and Izzy being unreliable and not being professional enough for a big tour as the reason for their absence. The big three don't like Steven and don't want to fairly cut in Izzy since they feel they can be just as successful without him (looks like they were right). So in the end, it's basically about money and band politics. 

Exactly. People are so quick to jump at a chance to blame Axl for everything that they conveniently love to forget that Slash and Duff have been treating Steven like shit for years as well. Or maybe Slash and Duff were justified in their treatment of Steven, who knows. Once again, we've only heard Steven's side of the story, Slash and Duff might view things quite differently.

But either way, it's not like Slash and Duff are best buddies with Steven, who had to bend to the will of evil Axl on this whole issue. It's perfectly possible Slash and Duff didn't and don't want Steven involved all that much either (especially in Duff's case). But sure, let's simply blame Axl everyone, easier that way.

None of the original 5 are saints or victims in any of this. They're all pretty fucked up in their own unique ways.

Can't speak for others, but I've called out Duff/Slash numerous times. There's a growing number of fans who are rightfully calling out Sluff for being hypocritical in the way they have handled this "reunion". If it turns out that they signed on to become employees of Axl's Nu Guns, it would look even worse for them. The only thing you can say in their defense is perhaps they wanted to just get the ball rolling and eventually bring the others in, but given Izzy's harsh statements, that theory seems farfetched.

Steven is Steven and his credibility is touch and go. The problem here is that Izzy's brief statements so far are corroborating what Steven is alleging. Steven, for all his impulsiveness and embellishments, seems to be credible when it comes to his talk about finding the gigs he played to be rather unfulfilling and not being what he imagined it would it be. Is it that hard to imagine how lame it would be for an original member of GnR to stand in the back watching some random guy play his stuff...badly night after night while he's only allowed to play a song or two at a handful of shows? I believe him when he said he found closure after these gigs and that if he were to return back to the fold, the proper respect would have to be given. Seems like a pretty fair and balanced statement to make regardless of all the other stuff Steven claims. I also believe him when he says Duff and Slash have been pretty shitty to him. Slash looks like a pretty two-faced person from the way he has treated Steven over the years. I don't think Duff is any better really. 

The blame falls on the big 3 because they are running the show. They have the power to VETO stuff and from our vantage point as fans, given everything we've heard, they have jettisoned Izzy and Steven mainly over money. So the AFD 5 reunion was within our grasp only to be shot down over their greed. They would have still made millions after cutting in Adler and Izzy but they couldn't even bother to do that. It is this realization that leaves a sour taste for some fans here. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 3

On 2/24/2017 at 4:14 AM, BOSSY78 said:

GNR AND THE BIG 3 agree with you. Since the band is a business to them

4 hours ago, Asia said:

Yeah, hundred percent all of this and the post above. I might also add as far as Axl's lack of credibility goes, that most likely, if he was just a drummer and had done for the band no more than Adler has done, he'd probably also be excluded from the reunion.

And yes I agree with you, Frey, I am also surprised they ever took him, it was such a stupid decision. I was certain they wouldn't. I was even telling my friend that they'll soon prove the world how heartless they are once again (sort of jokingly) by leaving a wining Steve out of it.  They didn't and it did not end well. Anyway they now got the one final proof that they should never do it again.

Anyway I am personally 100% sure that it doesn't matter how many songs Adler would get. He'd still feel it wasn't enough and wine about it left and right. And even if he got the entire gig, he'd still go around the press wining that Axl treats him like shit, that Slash and Duff spend too little time with him, that people there don't treat him the way he deserves, that there's no Izzy or that there is Izzy but there is also Melissa or that there is a piano in GN'R songs or whatever. Because that's just who Steven is. He might be the original drummer for this band and yes he made the greatest drums to fit their legendary album and yet it is best to avoid him.

Well, that's a harsh assessment of Steven, but I'd agree with a lot of what you said. What he's doing now isn't really smart, but that's just who he is. We're not talking about a guy who is all that sophisticated or business minded -- he's just a man child that lucked out by being a good drummer that was in the right place at the right time. 

However, if he's actually done with the band and doesn't care -- then good for him to say thanks but no thanks to the band and call Axl, Duff and Slash out for being a-holes to him. Why shouldn't he do that? Maybe he already knew that they would never let him back into the band full-time or even part-time and so he decided to tell the truth. He's still complimentary towards Axl and co - but he's been treated badly and you can sense his disappointment. In his own bone-headed way, he's attempting to be gracious in these interviews and take the high road but not really succeeding. 

I think the bigger issue here is that some people slam anyone that is not on good terms with Axl. Before, that was Duff and Slash. Back then, people loved Izzy. Now, the tables have turned and Izzy/Steven are harshly judged by the Axl fans. 

3 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

When I listened to these interviews, it becomes perfectly clear to me: there is absolutely no fuckin way it could work with Steven being the full time drummer. These guys are 30+ year professionals at this point. Steven comes off as 100% unprofessional. Guest appearances were a cool gesture and great for the fans. I wish he was at a show I was at. But there's no fuckin way it would work. It's a zillion dollar tour. A huge liability if something goes wrong. Some may hate that, but it's the way it is. He's fuckin nuts, seems very very unstable and annoying as fuck.

No way they could listen to that motor mouth for a 12 hour flight from Australia.

Yeah, cosign on that. I couldn't even listen to a lot of the interview and skipped through a bunch of it. I'm not the biggest Adler fan but I have grown to appreciate his drumming over the years. He's just not on the level the rest of these guys are at professionally though and his personality is really irritating at times. I don't blame the guys for not wanting him but the whole thing could have been handled so much better than it was. Adler was treated like shit by the others and that just sucks to see as a fan.

And when it comes to Izzy -- the behavior of Axl and Co becomes that much more questionable.

• Like 1