"The updated modern sound of 90s" on Chin Dem

so I have read the Chinese Whispers (awesome stuff) and I couldn't help but noticing a lot of people working on Chinese Democracy refering to Axl wanting a lot of "the updated modern sound" on his new album. And then would usually drop names. Bjork. Radiohead. DJ Shadow. Nine Inch Nails. Moby. What not.

Now, the album was released in 2008. When you listen to it, do you hear any of the updated modern sounds? Like, what exactly? Which moments specifically and what do they remind you of? Where's Bjork on Chinese Democracy the album? Where's Radiohead? Where's Nine Inch Nails? Where's Moby? I dont' hear it. None of it. 

I hear the Rhiad synth intro, but that's all and that's not much. and that song, Shackler's Revenge, that weird riff, tu-tu-TEE, tu-tu-TEE, is that the updated modern sound? Bikoz that sounds like total Buckethead to me and Buckethead is nowhere near the updated modern sound of the 90s.

Edited by whatashame

I think maybe because RTB re-recorded Beavan's material, so it lost some of it's overtly 90s sound. Then Costanzo re-recorded/remixed it again. Overall sound is like Manson/NIN but more polished like Nevermind. 

But still there's a lot of 90s motifs. Riffs and breakdowns, downtuned guitars. I would say the solos are more classic rock though. 

Chi dem - Nirvana, Manson

Shackler's - Korn, Zombie

Better - NIN, Radiohead

If the World - Faith No More

Scraped - RATM, Prodigy

Madagascar - Massive Attack

Prostitute - Verve, Massive Attack

I don't hear Bjork other than Axl's falsetto. Never been into Bjork. 

The whole thing reminds me of a Dj Shadow or UNKLE album in terms of drums and instrumentation. Acoustic guitars over drum loops is so 90s. The riff on Twat is kind of Pearl Jam. 

• Like 2

And old influences like The Beatles and Queen in Catcher plus it sounds like Yesterdays like Chuck Klosterman said.

Zeppelin in I.R.S and Riad. Riad also sounds like Hey Bulldog by The Beatles like Axl said in places.

That's one of the things I really like about Chinese: it's a lot of Guns elements working so well with newer influences that I've never heard in a Guns context.

So you get proper guitar solos with the advantages of some of the newer elements Axl liked.

Maybe if there's another Guns album, Axl will combine a strong Hard Rock foundation with Slash and Duff, but will still incorporate newer influences that were never there in old Guns albums like in Chinese.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

Catcher has something like Oasis' Don't Look Back in Anger. Both remind me of Hey Jude. 

Riad actually has a similar riff to Nobody's Fault But Mine by Zepp. 

I swear Scraped has the same riff as the bass riff on RATM's Know Your Enemy. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

i hear no 90's sound. i hear no sounds. why? it's FAKE sound. a FAKE record. a FAKE record with the Guns N' Roses name slapped on it. AFD it is NOT 

It wasnt trying to be AFD

Edited by Mendez

The apparent 99' demos (TWAT, IRS, Catcher) sound more 90s that the album does, but I attribute that only to the way it was mastered, and the guitar tones that were used

Just now, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

maybe it should have. afd is REAL ROCK. and what came after in 2008 is FAKE ROCK

Whats fake about it? And whats with the caps

Edited by Mendez

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I think maybe because RTB re-recorded Beavan's material, so it lost some of it's overtly 90s sound. Then Costanzo re-recorded/remixed it again. Overall sound is like Manson/NIN but more polished like Nevermind. 

But still there's a lot of 90s motifs. Riffs and breakdowns, downtuned guitars. I would say the solos are more classic rock though. 

I dont see how Shacklers sounds like Rob Zombie. Korn I can see, because of the eerie riff right before the solo (similar style to Falling Away from Me), and because of the "disco" riff sounds like someother song I cant remember.

For the verse riff of SR, Im not sure what that sounds like. Especially considering its based off of Bucketheads own riff from his Praxis song "Meta-matic", which came out before Korn or Rob Zombie released their debut albums.

As for the intro "riff" (which is actually copy n pasted four times), it sounds like some other 90s song that uses pinch harmonics (as opposed to what they do on Shacklers, which is using the frets), but forgot which one

Edited by Mendez

3 hours ago, Mendez said:

The apparent 99' demos (TWAT, IRS, Catcher) sound more 90s that the album does, but I attribute that only to the way it was mastered, and the guitar tones that were used

Whats fake about it? And whats with the caps

everything is fake about it. guitar solos fake. piano solos fake. drums fake. bass fake. keyboards fake. fake beats. fake effects. nothing sounds authentic. it's missing that authentic real afd rock sound 

5 hours ago, wasted said:

Better - NIN, Radiohead

If the World - Faith No More

Scraped - RATM, Prodigy

Madagascar - Massive Attack

Prostitute - Verve, Massive Attack

I don't hear Bjork other than Axl's falsetto. Never been into Bjork. 

The whole thing reminds me of a Dj Shadow or UNKLE album in terms of drums and instrumentation. Acoustic guitars over drum loops is so 90s. The riff on Twat is kind of Pearl Jam. 

The 99 demo of IRS sounds like GNR covering something from Tiny Music by STP which to me is the quintessential mid-late 90's rock album. The final version lost it a bit but I'd love to hear Beavan's mixes. He said he recorded 35 songs. I imagine this forum would hate it but I'm intrigued.

Like that IRS demo.. it's GNR meets STP. Oh my god new Guns was VR before VR

I remember an interview I forgot if it was Axl himself or not, but saying that the follow up to Chinese would have been more electronic and even less straight forward than CD, which probably means there is a shit ton of Oh My God sounding songs sitting on a hard drive or vault somewhere since the 90's

3 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I remember an interview I forgot if it was Axl himself or not, but saying that the follow up to Chinese would have been more electronic and even less straight forward than CD, which probably means there is a shit ton of Oh My God sounding songs sitting on a hard drive or vault somewhere since the 90's

I do wonder what is classed as Electronica with full guitars in GNR world. Is that what Better, Shacklers, If the World are? Or is it more electronic than that? 

If that was the case, then that would explain Axl saying there's another record similar to CD. Because stuff like The General and Atlas were not on CD and got replaced by some of the more rlectronica influenced stuff that came to fruition. Better in 2000 might have sounded more electronica but by 2004 it was rocking? 

So it's really hard to say because everyone expects hard rock from GNR in 99, so how do you describe If the World to GNR fans? 

Ron said a lot of stuff left over sounded like Scraped. But there are also a few from the 2000 Intentions record that must have been more guitar driven. So you end up with another cd of material similar to CD. A little bit nastier like Silkworms, a little bit meaner like Soul Monster but still with a glam Nov Rain like Atlas Shrugged. It's probably less commercial than CD, that's why the label were never desperate to release it. Or Axl just wanted to finish vocals, get Slash and Duff on it...

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, whatashame said:

a lot of people working on Chinese Democracy refering to Axl wanting a lot of "the updated modern sound" on his new album. And then would usually drop names. Bjork. Radiohead. DJ Shadow. Nine Inch Nails. Moby. What no

I hear all of these artists on Prostitute. No kidding, Prostitute is exactly a Bjork, Radiohead, DjS, NIN, Moby song. It's a great way to describe Prostitute, you nailed that perfectly. If I would have read 'written by Bjork, Radiohead, DjS, NIN, Moby and Rose' on the booklet I'd actually believe it.