"The updated modern sound of 90s" on Chin Dem

4 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

really? you're not into a mediocre singer who wears dead swans around her neck? JMO ;)

Nope. 

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

I hear all of these artists on Prostitute. No kidding, Prostitute is exactly a Bjork, Radiohead, DjS, NIN, Moby song. It's a great way to describe Prostitute, you nailed that perfectly. If I would have read 'written by Bjork, Radiohead, DjS, NIN, Moby and Rose' on the booklet I'd actually believe it.

What are the Bjork elements of Prostitute? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

prostitute doesn't have elements. it's fake sounds from phonies dizzy and goose. melissa could've copied those sounds and make them her own for songs. that's how bogus prostitute is. pathetic bee sap

Are you legit?

35 minutes ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

prostitute doesn't have elements. it's fake sounds from phonies dizzy and goose. melissa could've copied those sounds and make them her own for songs. that's how bogus prostitute is. pathetic bee sap

look, I'm obviously not a mod or anything but you really aren't adding anything to the discussion and instead are only complaining about CD. Love it or hate it - CD is a GNR album. This is a GNR forum, so people will discuss a GNR album here. We all know its not the "real" Guns N' Roses but some of us enjoy it for what it is. So please chill.  

4 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

The finished Chinese record has a more 1970s classic rock sound.

It's not quite the Physical Graffiti remixed by Beck and Trent Reznor but it's in that ballpark.

Most of it utilizes pro tools, drum loops, sub bass, and other electronic work, some more than others.

The CD2 material is more industrial, nu-metal, and electronica driven and pushes these concepts further. Oh My God features electronic drums and real drums in the first half minute, for example.  

Part of Chinese features some of the CD ll material. Shackler's, Scraped, Sorry, Prostitute. There was an alternate tracklisting and in concept it was supposed to be a double album.

So we got some more new things and old style tunes on one album. The other completed album with the unreleased  16 tunes could be more of the same in that it's got more industrial influenced tunes maybe, next to classic sounding tracks like Street Of Dreams for example. Only meaner, darker like Axl said. The differences could be "accidental" like Use Your Illusions l and ll, or just 2 groups of songs that functioned well as 2 parts of one album. The label/Axl chose to go with the 14 tracks that got released out of about 30 that were completed.

Edited by Rovim

Sorry and This I Love belong on the same record. It's darker, way ahead of the classic sounding songs like twat or the blues.

So you get songs like Chinese Democracy, Irs, Prostitute, Oh My God, Silkworms, If, Madagascar, Riad, Sod, twat and songs like Better, Scraped, Shackler, Sorry, This I Love, Catcher. Two different entities.

22 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Sorry and This I Love belong on the same record. It's darker, way ahead of the classic sounding songs like twat or the blues.

So you get songs like Chinese Democracy, Irs, Prostitute, Oh My God, Silkworms, If, Madagascar, Riad, Sod, twat and songs like Better, Scraped, Shackler, Sorry, This I Love, Catcher. Two different entities.

I want to hear the Twat that sounds like Sorry. Just epic heavy riffing into the lunar eclipse. 

• Like 1

I think the 2000 intentions album could be it, most of the songs on there were far more industrial, just listen to all the 1999 leaked demos, specially IRS.  

Its a shame Axl couldnt release it at the time. 

Edited by default_

14 hours ago, History2010 said:

look, I'm obviously not a mod or anything but you really aren't adding anything to the discussion and instead are only complaining about CD. Love it or hate it - CD is a GNR album. This is a GNR forum, so people will discuss a GNR album here. We all know its not the "real" Guns N' Roses but some of us enjoy it for what it is. So please chill.  

Prostitute is terrible. It's not even Guns. It's Axl's solo project without Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steve.

• Like 1

I still hear a lot of the industrial rock/nu-metal elements mixed in with the more prog-rock direction from Use your Illusion. The album is a snapshot of where Axl's musical sensibilities were in the mid to late 90's and as a result, was instantly dated by the time of release. 

The unfortunate thing is that, despite being influenced by Nine Inch Nails and all these other cool bands he was into, the Chinese Democracy songs seem to take more inspiration from Korn, Limp Bizkit and the dreadful nu-metal acts of the late 90's imho. There is no rocker on this album that is as strong as the Oh My God demo which sounded to my ears like a NIN/Manson -ish rocker.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

Oh fuck the right off :lol:

4 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

It's not comparable to NIN at all. It's way too guitar focused. It's more like Slipknot or Korn or one of these nu-metal bands

To me, it doesn't sound anything like Korn or Slipknot. To me, it sounds like NIN.

On 18.2.2017 at 1:48 AM, wasted said:

I do wonder what is classed as Electronica with full guitars in GNR world. Is that what Better, Shacklers, If the World are? Or is it more electronic than that? 

If that was the case, then that would explain Axl saying there's another record similar to CD. Because stuff like The General and Atlas were not on CD and got replaced by some of the more rlectronica influenced stuff that came to fruition. Better in 2000 might have sounded more electronica but by 2004 it was rocking? 

So it's really hard to say because everyone expects hard rock from GNR in 99, so how do you describe If the World to GNR fans? 

Ron said a lot of stuff left over sounded like Scraped. But there are also a few from the 2000 Intentions record that must have been more guitar driven. So you end up with another cd of material similar to CD. A little bit nastier like Silkworms, a little bit meaner like Soul Monster but still with a glam Nov Rain like Atlas Shrugged. It's probably less commercial than CD, that's why the label were never desperate to release it. Or Axl just wanted to finish vocals, get Slash and Duff on it...

This is just speculation, but I believe they tried a lot of things. I don't want to say everything, but what Robin said after he first left Gn'R about how they had tunes that were completed and had orchestration and more basic stuff that originated from a more classic set up of bass, drums, and guitars.

He also said there were songs that saw the finish line and others that were still incomplete. Even what is considered finished was altered by whoever came along to produce it again or play different guitar solos.

I believe what Fortus is saying about Axl having 2 to 3 albums worth of material. Some of it must have been way more electronic simply cause that's what Axl said years ago about having a distinct difference in sound between the first record and the second one.

He wanted to ease the fans into it. Then abandoned it and completed a double album, released Chinese, probably a far more conventional album in sound compared to the original concept and we had samples from tunes that had more classic rock and others that features alternative influences to Guns.

Songs like Better, Shackler's, and Sorry are such good melting pots, I'd imagine Axl must have completed many tunes that incorporated many influences.

48 minutes ago, Rovim said:

This is just speculation, but I believe they tried a lot of things. I don't want to say everything, but what Robin said after he first left Gn'R about how they had tunes that were completed and had orchestration and more basic stuff that originated from a more classic set up of bass, drums, and guitars.

He also said there were songs that saw the finish line and others that were still incomplete. Even what is considered finished was altered by whoever came along to produce it again or play different guitar solos.

I believe what Fortus is saying about Axl having 2 to 3 albums worth of material. Some of it must have been way more electronic simply cause that's what Axl said years ago about having a distinct difference in sound between the first record and the second one.

He wanted to ease the fans into it. Then abandoned it and completed a double album, released Chinese, probably a far more conventional album in sound compared to the original concept and we had samples from tunes that had more classic rock and others that features alternative influences to Guns.

Songs like Better, Shackler's, and Sorry are such good melting pots, I'd imagine Axl must have completed many tunes that incorporated many influences.

The main two examples we have are Silkworms and Oh my god. Both are just outside the parameters of CD. But could possibly be examples of CD II. 

Or there was so much material and CD is just the best ones. It was almost an ongoing project until the release. 

Or were there pragmatic choices. This is one record which is going to bomb and has no support anyway we'll throw the leaks on and a few new tracks for the movie and Rock band. Then a couple mocking the internet and media. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wasted said:

The main two examples we have are Silkworms and Oh my god. Both are just outside the parameters of CD. But could possibly be examples of CD II. 

Or there was so much material and CD is just the best ones. It was almost an ongoing project until the release. 

Or were there pragmatic choices. This is one record which is going to bomb and has no support anyway we'll throw the leaks on and a few new tracks for the movie and Rock band. Then a couple mocking the internet and media. 

Zutaut saying Atlas was pretty good and Axl having May play on it with other tunes getting Beltrami treatment and Robin saying his favorite guitar moments still unreleased makes it seem it's possible it's like Josh and Dizzy said and there's more good stuff/AAA tunes.

So I think it really was probably more of a pragmatic choice of just what they could do with some of material that would still work as an album but will have a chance to do well. The leaks and the label probably changed things.

What Tommy said makes it seem like it was a mess and it was supposed to be a double album or at least more time to finish some tunes that could have replaced some material on Chinese at least.

Chinese was always supposed to be more than just one album. It goes against the nature of it as an album it seems. Should have been presented as a multi album release. Sprawling, with half of it more classic rock, and another with more electronic sounds and If The World, Oh My God, and Silkworms type of stuff.

Edited by Rovim

39 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Zutaut saying Atlas was pretty good and Axl having May play on it with other tunes getting Beltrami treatment and Robin saying his favorite guitar moments still unreleased makes it seem it's possible it's like Josh and Dizzy said and there's more good stuff/AAA tunes.

So I think it really was probably more of a pragmatic choice of just what they could do with some of material that would still work as an album but will have a chance to do well. The leaks and the label probably changed things.

What Tommy said makes it seem like it was a mess and it was supposed to be a double album or at least more time to finish some tunes that could have replaced some material on Chinese at least.

Chinese was always supposed to be more than just one album. It goes against the nature of it as an album it seems. Should have been presented as a multi album release. Sprawling, with half of it more classic rock, and another with more electronic sounds and If The World, Oh My God, and Silkworms type of stuff.

It seems like a summary of 3 cd set of material. Or is just each song is so different that it's scope is misleading. Thematically it's pretty focused. So it's hard to say.