Your most memorable/favorite concerts attended

gt72

What are your favorite concerts you've ever attended over your lifetime .If I had to name 5 I would say Ozzy /Metallica 86.Metallica at the la forum during black tour .Iron Maiden during somewhere in time tour (first time seeing Maiden )U2 during their most recent tour (first time seeing U2)RHCP at the Hollywood Palladium .Being that this is a Guns N Roses message board all 7 times I've seen Guns have been memorable as well .From seeing them with the Stones and Metallica to the nearly 4 hour show with skid row at the la forum to most recently twice with their semi reunion they all have been special but the first 5 are my favorites 

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

I could write pages on this thread.... will do it soon!

Same - I can't do it all right now. I can say though, the most memorable (Not necessarily my favorite) was Iron Maiden in Beijing last year. Seeing my favorite band play their first gig in China, which was a top bucket list item for both the band and for myself, was an amazing experience. 

• Like 1

2008-01-10 - Ozzy Osbourne and Rob Zombie (First ever concert; Ozzy is my all-time favorite, so it was special)

2010-12-01 - Ozzy Osbourne (Arguably the best Ozzy show I've seen. It was at MSG and he played for close to  2 1/2 hours, which he rarely does anymore. Also played Flying High Again and that was very special as its a bit of a rarity. On the flipside, the next show I saw two night later was the same set but with No More Tears instead of Flying High Again. Again very awesome, but MSG was just special.)

2011-05-05 - Rammstein (It's fucking Rammstein. Even if you don't like them, if you've seen performances online, they're intense.)

2012-02-24 - Guns N' Roses (The only show I got to see on the Up Close and Personal Tour, but it's still one of the best I've seen. Atlantic City, NJ)

2014-06-06 - Guns N' Roses (The infamous Vegas show that ranks in the longest shows done, as well as the performance of Prostitute, among others.)

2015-05-10 - Prince (Need I say more?)

2016-02-27 - Black Sabbath (Very close to Philly from 2013, but I got a free ticket to this show, and something about seeing your favorite bands at MSG is an extremely special thing.)

2016-11-30 - Guns N' Roses (The most recent GN'R show I've seen and my 10th last year; The second Mexico City show and last of the year. Amazing show, performance-wise, and one of the best setlists from the NITL so far.)

The first few that come to mind, not including GNR:

Foxy Shazam - Bumbershoot Festival 2012. First time seeing them. Great show, great band.
Buckethead - September 2012. Awesome show, and he handed me a Star Wars puzzle during the toy handout.
Zakk Wylde - February 2014. Acoustic show in a sold out theatre, awesome atmosphere and show.
In Flames/Trivium - February 2012. Saw them in a venue that was literally a hall with a bar on the side of it, got right up front and had a blast.
Aerosmith/Motley Crue - December 2006. The first big arena show I went to.
Slipknot/Deftones - October 2009. First big metal show I saw, skipped school and caught a bus downtown to hang out before the show.
Sebastian Bach - November 2016. Went with a buddy, got hammered, lost my voice, awesome time.

All the GNR shows I've been to were pretty awesome too. Even the worst ones (2012) were still awesome because Izzy was there. Duff was at both 2011 shows I saw, in 2014 they played really long sets with Prostitute, Yesterdays, TWAT, Used To Love Her. Got to see them in a stadium last year and both Vegas gigs (night 1, when they played Coma, might be my favourite concert moment).

Iggy & The Stooges live at Hammersmith Apollo 2010, they played the entire Raw Power for the first time since...well, the early 70s.  Iggy was in and out of the crowd all night, once landing on top of my head :lol:  There was a stage invasion, they played all the B sides of that era like Gimme Some Skin, Sick of You, Johanna, it was just mental seeing my favourite album of all time (or top 3 at least) being played live by a band that it was almost a guarantee that we'd never see again, it was just brilliant, best gig, best crowd, best everything.

• Like 3

My Top 5:

Paul McCartney (2015) - He played for 3 hours non-stop and sounded great the whole time! Dare I say, in some cases, better than the albums (particularly on Eleanor Rigby and Yesterday). He also did Temporary Secretary and called it a "new" song lol. Plus he interacted with the crowd and seemed very friendly. Good stage show, too. And the opening act DJ with the photo montage of Paul's life in chronological order was pretty cool. 

Buckethead (2016) - what can I say? It's Bucket for Christ sake! I remember he ended the show with Nottingham Lace (which I hadn't ever heard before) and I kept thinking to myself "what is this magic?" All the other songs (Jowls, Head Stump, Botnus, Soorhsayer, etc) were great too and I enjoyed it when he did his dance moves and passed out toys to the crowd and let others play his guitar and shit.

Guns N' Roses (2016) - I had been waiting since I was 9 to see Axl and Slash together. I was happy it was at Foxboro. They came onstage just as the sun was setting, making for a cool background from my point of view, and Axl sounded terrific that night and looked decent. As soon as they came onstage and launched into ISE, you could just feel the badassery. Seeingr everyone in the crowd dance to songs like Jungle was really cool. I think Nightrain was pure rasp from start to finish. Songs like Wish You Were Here and Layla were fun too, and it was nice to see Angie return to the setlist. I hadn't heard the "hybrid" version of Heavens Door before, so that was also interesting. 

Red Hot Chili Peppers (2017) - Obviously they're not as great without Frusciante, but the new guitarist still puts on aa good show with the others. The chemistry is really tight (before the show I was able to see him from the side of the stage interacting with his guitar tech and some of the other roadies, and he seemed really friendly). The light show was awesome. It was cool to see the crowd get really into their new songs like Dark Necessities and Sick Love (as a reminder that this band is still kinda culturally relevant), and obviously hearing hits like All Around the World, Otherside, and Soul to Squeeze was a pleasure. I wish they woulda played more classics like Can't Stop or Under the Bridge, bur at least the whole band still interacted with the crowd and seemed cool (flea did a hand stand). Plus, the opening acts (original drummer Jack Irons and Trombone Shorty) were great.

Nine Inch Nails (2013) - Robin Finck was there! The light show was awesome. Trent seemed cool and sang well. Hearing the whole crowd sing along with Head Like A Hole was great. It was nice to see NIN back after a 4-year hiatus that seemed like it would really be the end for them. I didn't get why he only sang the first line of Closer and then nothing else, but at least they still played all the other hits I know. The new shit like Copy of A was cool too. 

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1. GnR opening for Aerosmith- Weedsport NY 8/88

2. GnR with Skid Row opening- Saratoga Springs NY 6/91

3. Metallica with the Cult opening- Weedsport NY summer 88 or 89?

4. GnR, Metallica, Faith No More- Buffalo NY summer 92

5. GnR with AIC- Vegas 4/8/16

Others worth mentioning- my first real concert was Ratt with Bon Jovi opening in 83 I think. I was 12 at the time. Sparked a love of live hard rock that will never wane for me. The night we saw Motley Crue with Tesla and Whitesnake in Weedsport on the Dr Feelgood tour- you could make a movie about our exploits that night that would be a cult classic up there with Heavy Metal Parking Lot. (If you've never seen that- check it out on YouTube. It's about a 20 minute snapshot into metal America circa late 80s. Those were my peeps!)

So many good times, and they keep on coming! Fuck yeah- nothing like a good show! ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Same - I can't do it all right now. I can say though, the most memorable (Not necessarily my favorite) was Iron Maiden in Beijing last year. Seeing my favorite band play their first gig in China, which was a top bucket list item for both the band and for myself, was an amazing experience. 

you could write a book! that would actually be a great idea :D

No way I can just do 5, so I'll do my top 10, in no particular order.

1. Iron Maiden - Beijing, China 4/24/16 - Already gave my brief thoughts on this one earlier in the thread, but this is without a doubt the most memorable gig I've ever been to. Ever since I started traveling to see Maiden, it was always my number one bucket list item to see the first gig they played in China. Likewise, I know for a few of the guys in the band, it was the top place they wanted to play that they'd never been to before. On top of all that - it was a huge deal for metal period, to have have one of the biggest bands in the world playing a country that relatively few artists have played before. Everything about the gig was just...exciting in this way that gigs usually aren't. There was a lot of discussion on how the band would have to adapt the show to appease the Chinese censors, and even outside the venue a couple hours before the show, one of their crew guys admitted to a few of us that they didn't really know if they'd get all the way through the show before the plug got pulled. In the end they didn't have to change their setlists at all, and the stage show only minimally, and the whole gig went off fantastically. The show a couple days later in Shanghai was better, but the Beijing show was much more special.

2. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Cambridge, MA 7/18/15 - A tiny venue, TT The Bear's, was preparing to close for good and for their last two weeks, announced a number of big name bands to play secret shows to help close out the club. The Bosstones were one of those bands. They announced the Saturday show on Thursday, and it was exclusive to their fan club members. Even though their fan club is only a few hundred people, the show still sold out in about 5 minutes (The capacity was 150 people). They were also opening for the Foo Fighters at Fenway the same day, so the TT The Bear's show was later that night. The band was particularly excited to do it because it was one of the clubs where they got there start, and it was their first time playing there in about 25 years. The setlist was the most boring I've ever seen the band play, but in their defense they were short one of the horns as he had an obligation with his other band also immediately after the Fenway show. But still, that didn't matter. No barrier, the stage was so small the band barely fit on it (And Dicky spent about half the show literally in the crowd), their original guitarist guested with them for a few songs, and it was bar none the most energetic gig I've ever been to. 

3. Motörhead - On the Motörboat 10/1/15 - Plain and simple explanation on this one; it was one of the last gigs that Lemmy ever played before he died, and the last show he ever played in North America. Lemmy was one of my idols - far bigger than just Motörhead to me. I won a spot on the cruise, a number of other great bands were on it, and it was my first time anywhere in the Caribbean. It wasn't even the best Motörhead gig I ever saw, but in hindsight it was the most memorable. 

4. Rush - Toronto, ON 6/19/15 - I saw Rush plenty of times (Even plenty of times on the R40 tour), but this one was the most special. The band filmed the R40 DVD at this gig, and I was in the third row for it - the best seats I've ever had at a Rush show. As a result, I'm in the DVD a number of times. Besides being an amazing show (Arguably the best Rush show I've ever seen), the band played Losing It for the first time ever, with Ben Mink who originally recorded the violin part on the studio version. It's a song diehard Rush fans have been begging them to play for decades, but which everyone assumed would never be played because it required a fourth member. 

5. Guns N' Roses - Las Vegas, NV 6/6/14 - Everyone here knows why this one was special - the third longest show the band ever played, a number of rare live songs, and at the time it was the best Axl had sounded since 2010. Never thought I'd see a GN'R show that topped The Ritz in 2012, but this one did.

6. The Rolling Stones - Rome, Italy 6/22/14 - I wrestled between which Stones show to put on this list. On one hand at the Toronto 2013 show I got in the pit with my Lucky Dip tickets. On the other hand - other than the fact that I was on the barrier for Toronto 2013, Rome was better in every way imaginable. The gig was at the Circus Maximus, and I'm a sucker for shows in historic/scenic venues. There were 120,000 people at the Rome show - the biggest gig I've ever been to. The setlist was the best I've ever seen them play. And, it was my first time seeing any band besides Maiden in Europe. Granted, I was about a quarter of a mile from the stage and couldn't see shit, but just being at the show was an experience for sure. 

7. AC/DC - Philadelphia, PA 9/20/16 - Possibly AC/DC's last show, at the very least the last show with Cliff. The longest show AC/DC ever played. Problem Child played for the first time with Axl. Did this show with the Mod Squad. AC/DC was my first favorite band, before I discovered Maiden. So this one was a special one for sure.

8. Twisted Sister - Lakewood, NJ 10/1/16 - It was only my second time seeing Twisted Sister - my first was a couple months earlier at Wacken. I've always been a casual fan, but never saw the big appeal. Everyone told me Twisted Sister was one of the best live bands they've ever seen - they were absolutely right. I was totally blown away at Wacken, and dug deep into their catalog and decided to catch one more show. It was supposed to be their last show, it ended up being their second last show after they added an opening set at a festival in Mexico a few weeks later, so it was their last headlining show.

9. Iron Maiden - Stockholm, Sweden 8/7/10 - I was trying to only pick one show per artist, but I had to put a second Maiden show. This was the first gig I saw outside the US or Canada. This was the show where I fell in love with traveling, where I went from wanting to see Maiden a few times when they came around to when I wanted to see as many shows as physically possible. It was a festival (With a great lineup), it was pissing rain for 12 hours, but it was amazing. 

10. Black Sabbath - London, England 7/4/14 - This one is a bit stupid, but I've always wanted to see a show at Hyde Park. It wasn't a great show by any means - it was actually the worst Sabbath show I saw - but seeing a show at Hyde Park was a lot of fun!

• Like 1

I will follow Powerage's lead. Here's a top 10 for me, as well. Too many for a top 5! I feel like I am leaving a ton out even with 10.

I'll start with the GNR ones...

1. GUNS N ROSES - LONDON, ONTARIO 2010- I will never be this hyped for an event again in my life. I was a freshman in college in the peek of my GNR obsession phase. I had discovered them a few years prior, and my love for the band really took off when discovering these forums and when Chinese Democracy came out. The year or so in between the album and the first tour dates were excruciating. I narrowly missed the 2006 tour. I was in high school for that show and just discovered the band when they came my way in '06. By the time I looked my show up, it had passed. Well, now in early 2009 they FINALLY announced dates. Nothing in the USA, but we did get the extensive Canadian tour. The closest show was a few hours away in Canada. I quickly drained all my money on two GA tickets. My best friend's mom drove us and got us a hotel room. The whole way up we listened to a bootleg of the 2009 Tokyo show that had occurred just a month prior. The show was the most stereotypical GNR show I have attended. Long ass wait for Axl, fights in the pit (a few of which I almost got involved in... but I was not letting my spot go!), girls taking their tops off everywhere... it was crazy. FINALLY the lights went down and they kicked off the show. I distinctly remember seeing the silhouette of Axl. I was so fucking excited, he was finally there in person and he sounded fucking awesome.

2. GUNS N ROSES- DETROIT 2012- This was my third and final NuGNR gig. At this time I had tickets to the Hall of Fame and was back in GNR-hype mode. The prospect of a theater GNR show was something I had dreamed of at the time. Axl hadn't yet quite super over-saturated the world's market, so it really did feel like a rare opportunity for me (and in hindsight, I guess it still is). I got GA tickets and went with my best friend again and my then- girlfriend who wasn't really a fan, but I wanted to show her my favorite band. We got there early and Ron agreed to meet with me before the show. All I did was ask him online! The dude showed immense kindness, it was awesome. He hung out with me and a small group of fans outside the venue for like an hour. He brought his guitar out, let me play it, signed autographs, played whatever we asked, took pictures, and told stories. It was fucking unreal. The dude is so cool. We made our way into the venue after that when doors finally opened. We made the rail on Ron's side. I kid you not, there was barely a barrier. I was hanging over the stage practically. That night I caught picks from Ron, DJ, and Richard, shook Axl's hand a bunch, caught a drumstick, and got a kick ass 3 hour show. For a 2012 show Axl really did sound great and seeing him and the band that "Up Close and Personal" was special.

3. GUNS N ROSES- LAS VEGAS (April 8th) 2016- These Vegas shows will go down in GNR-lore legends. I am so grateful I was a part of this show. Like that first 2010 show, the build up was INSANE. It was the reunion and I was there. Coming off the Troubadour, hype couldn't have been higher. Clips and pictures were scarce from that first gig, so this really did feel like the big kick off. It was my first time in Vegas and I spent it with 2 very good friends (one of which was my bud from those first GNR shows) and we had a blast exploring the city. It was unreal sharing the weekend with tons of you guys on here and from other boards. There was a collection of fans from all over the world and we will never see a gathering of GNR fans of that magnitude again. The meet ups were awesome, so many cool people! The day of the show was a roller coaster, we all freaked out when news broke of Axl's foot. I was admittedly worried and pissed off. Finally entering the arena felt like a victory in itself. It felt like we arrived at the "holy land" of GNR. The brand new T Mobile arena. We spent months analyzing the arena, the city, the rumors, the controversies... and here we all were. Alice in Chains came on. I love AiC, but I could hardly focus on them. Then came the waiting game we all know. It may remain the last long wait in GNR legend, considering they have been on- time ever since. A whole hour and a half went by and finally the show began. The fucking looney tunes theme played. Perfect. Then Axl hobbled out with a pause and stutter. It wasn't gradeful, but it was perfect considering the band. The throne ended up being the best of a bad situation, and I was blown away by the show. Seeing Axl, Slash, and Duff share the same stage was so surreal. Looking back, they were WAY tighter on the stadium run, but I love that first Vegas show I saw. Axl really sang his ass off, Slash and Duff were solid, and I lost my shit during Coma (and all the other "homecoming" songs for Slash like November Rain and Estranged). The buzz was unreal after that gig. I'll never forget it.

4. GUNS N ROSES- DETROIT and CHICAGO (July 3rd)- I am cheating and lumping these two together because they were only about about a week or two apart and were pretty similar. Coming off of my Vegas show, I was so pumped to see GNR in a stadium and to have Axl back on his feet again. Detroit was the first show of the tour, so that was kind of neat. The day started with a kick ass pre- party at Russ' house. Had a lot of fun hanging out with more forum members. Ended up staying later than I planned, and was worried I wouldn't get a rail spot at the show. Traffic was awful, and I only made it 20 minutes before doors opened. It was unreal seeing so many fans. It was one thing to see fans take over Vegas for those first shows, but to see Detroit so GNR-centric made it really sink in that they weren't our cult band anymore, they were back to being huge. To my surprise, I still made the rail front and center leaning towards Slash's side! Fucking perfect. I don't think I have ever had so many friend's and family at a single show before... forum friends, my aunt, my sister, my dad, and other friends all wanted to see the return of GNR. Ironically, I was standing alone since no one else wanted to fork up for pit tickets! No worries, made friends by my spot and even recognized a guy I met at the original 2010 London, Ontario show I went to! The show was fucking amazing and to this day remains the best show I have been to. The band was super tight, in my opinion, and seeing them so close was amazing. They were so good I decided to catch the second Chicago show. My buddy was able to attend this show with me (so we've seen 5/6 GNR shows together, not bad!) and we got floor seats for half off the night before. We drove to the city, met up with Russ and some other great people again at an apartment party, and headed to the show. Our seats were pretty solid for half off, but then after AiC we spotted Russ and co. We headed over to them and to our surprise found Fernando talking to them. Fernando made sure he got us all into Slash's side of the pit. Pretty fucking nice of him. Show was, of course, stellar and Axl gave some of the best performances I have seen from him (check out Jungle from this show). We drove back to Michigan that night. It was tough, but we were glad to have the GNR buzz as we partied the next day for the fourth of July.

5. X JAPAN- CHICAGO 2010- X Japan is a legendary metal/hard rock band from Japan who's hey day was in the late 80s-mid 90s. They were HUGE in Asia and remain relatively unknown to the West. They reunited in 2008 and have been just as frustrating and inconsistent as Axl was from 2001-2014. Hooray! However, their live shows remain legendary. In late 2010, they announced they were coming out with a new album and would tour the USA for the first (and so far ONLY) time. They announced a small tour of like 10 shows or something and the closest was in Chicago. My ex-gf (thanks, ex!) knew how much I loved them and convinced me to go. She drove us all the way there since my car sucked. In Japan, they play stadiums but here, they played tiny theaters. Works for me! As a fan, the show was great. The band kicked ass and it remains one of the most intimate settings and passionate crowds I have ever been a part of for a show. Nothing has been like it since. That is a special show, and a rare one. STILL waiting on that album and I know I may never get to see them again. I sure hope I do, as one friend has grown to really love them and I'd like to see them with him.

6. Roger Waters- AUBURN HILLS, MICHIGAN 2010- It was Roger Waters performing The Wall in all its glory. The tour has become legendary at this point so there isn't much to say. We were far away, but right in the center and got to experience the whole thing with a great view.

7. U2- EAST LANSING, MICHIGAN 2011- I love U2. This show was originally scheduled for 2010. Bono hurt his back and it was postponed an entire year. It was definitely a tough wait, but it was worth it. The 360 Tour remains the highest grossing tour of all time and with good reason. This show remains the largest crowd I have seen for a non- festival, headlining act. The entire football stadium was filled with fans of all ethnicity's  and ages. The band killed it and they sounded fantastic. Great setlist, too. The entire stadium felt like a small, intimate crowd and was totally into it every step of the way. I caught them on the Innocence + Experience Tour years later, and although that was also great, its hard to match 360.

8. THE ROLLING STONES- CHICAGO (June 3rd) 2013- I've wanted to see the Stones for like a decade before this show. One of the first rock bands I got into, and I remember being bummed when my friend went to the Bigger Bang Tour and I didn't. They announced the 50 and Counting Tour right when I was finishing college. I was broke as hell, they weren't playing my state, and their ticket prices were absurd. Fuck it, bought a $200 nosebleed and off I went. Drove to my ex's mom's house in Indiana and took a train from there. Hung out with my friend in Chicago the night before, crashed at his place, and wandered the city on my own all day the day of the show. It was a fun day, I liked exploring on my own and it was cool to walk to a bunch of places outside Michigan Avenue. Got to the venue really early, so I chilled at a local library nearby for a few hours waiting. I remember posting on here in that library and reading a copy of the graphic novel "Watchmen" to pass the time. Made my way back to the venue after a while. My seat was in the last row to the side, but I didn't care in the least. They came out and rocked my socks off. I was thrilled to get Mick Taylor and Taylor Swift even came out for "As Tears Go By". She did a good job, too.

9. METALLICA- DETROIT 2013- I am including two different shows on here that were back to back. Despite having tickets, I missed the World Magnetic Tour due to being in high school and having to listen to my mom (it was during finals week, pretty sure I still did terrible). To my shock they announced the second (and final) year of their ill-fated Orion Festival would be held in Detroit. Awesome! I won tickets through a radio station, too which sweetened the deal. Getting to the festival was a pain in the ass, it was held on an island and all festival goers had to take chartered school buses to the festival. Getting on and off was awful, but my friend and I didn't care. The Red Hot Chili Peppers headlined the first day, but a mysterious band named "Deehan" was scheduled to play early in the day. My time on here has taught me to check other band's forums when things get mysterious, and lo and behold, the Metallica forum was convinced it was a ruse. It was, and we got to experience Metallica playing "Kill Em All" in its entirety from the front. It was so intense I actually had to leave the front and chill in the middle of the crowd. Pretty sure I got a mild concussion. The next night, we got them in their glory with their headlining set. We all rushed the VIP pit so we got pretty fucking close. That crowd rush was terrifying, as we had to pour over a metal gate, but fuck it... if everyone else was doing it, we really had no choice. Caught some guitar picks that night.

10. AC/DC- AUBURN HILLS 2016- This was my third AC/DC show, and not even the best traditional AC/DC show (thats got to go to my first AC/DC show with Malcolm and Brian), but fuck it, I got to see Axl/DC. Went with my girlfriend and some friends (including Powerage) and had a great time. Axl killed it, and the setlist was really cool. Admittedly, the AC/DC parts of the show were kind of old to me (Angus' same moves and the repetitive lighting and props) since I had seen AC/DC twice before, so it was all about Axl for me. Angus and the band killed it, its just I saw pretty much the same show on Black Ice and the other Rock or Bust show I saw. Axl really was on a whole other level. His screams were psycho. After the gig I made an educated guess on their hotel and turned out right. We met the whole band (except Cliff) and I finally got to meet Axl.

Fuck, this was hard. There are so many other A+ shows I've seen from big names. I've typed way too much as is, though. Cool thread :P

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

GNR. Both shows. Reunion of course. But the 06 show, first time seeing Axl, and he was on fire that night. Band sounded good. They played AFD version of You're Crazy for the first time since back in the day,  not sure they've played it since. Great show.

Tom Petty w/The Black Crowes. First big concert. Two of my all time favorite bands, both are great live. Good friendly crowd. People cruising around, sharing weed. Good first show experience.

Velvet Revolver. House of Blues show so I got right at the stage. Slash was like ten feet from me all night. This was right after they came out so they were hot and the crowd was hot for them.

Snoop Dogg. Another House of Blues show. Snoop is one of the few rappers that puts on a good show. Plus he had the Dogg Pound with him, Nate Dogg, Daz, Kurupt. It was a night of g-funk bliss.

Ozzfest. Black Sabbath, Velvet Revolver, Rob Zombie, Black Label Society, Iron Maiden. Sabbath kicked that ass. Iommi jumped waaaaay up in my book that night.

Pearl Jam w/Sonic Youth. Not really about PJ. Got dragged to this show at the last minute, and damned if one of my favorite underground bands Sonic Youth were opening. One of those bands I figured I'd never see live. They were great. Don't really remember PJ I was trippin  balls by the time they went on.

Hank Williams III. Caught him at a bumfuck Egypt hole in the wall metal club. This show probably kicked my ass more than any other. Fucking wild. And after the show Hank 3 came out chilling, talking to everyone, taking shots, taking pics, cool guy. Much respect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J Dog said:

GNR. Both shows. Reunion of course. But the 06 show, first time seeing Axl, and he was on fire that night. Band sounded good. They played AFD version of You're Crazy for the first time since back in the day,  not sure they've played it since. Great show.

Tom Petty w/The Black Crowes. First big concert. Two of my all time favorite bands, both are great live. Good friendly crowd. People cruising around, sharing weed. Good first show experience.

Velvet Revolver. House of Blues show so I got right at the stage. Slash was like ten feet from me all night. This was right after they came out so they were hot and the crowd was hot for them.

Snoop Dogg. Another House of Blues show. Snoop is one of the few rappers that puts on a good show. Plus he had the Dogg Pound with him, Nate Dogg, Daz, Kurupt. It was a night of g-funk bliss.

Ozzfest. Black Sabbath, Velvet Revolver, Rob Zombie, Black Label Society, Iron Maiden. Sabbath kicked that ass. Iommi jumped waaaaay up in my book that night.

Pearl Jam w/Sonic Youth. Not really about PJ. Got dragged to this show at the last minute, and damned if one of my favorite underground bands Sonic Youth were opening. One of those bands I figured I'd never see live. They were great. Don't really remember PJ I was trippin  balls by the time they went on.

Hank Williams III. Caught him at a bumfuck Egypt hole in the wall metal club. This show probably kicked my ass more than any other. Fucking wild. And after the show Hank 3 came out chilling, talking to everyone, taking shots, taking pics, cool guy. Much respect.

When was that snoop show?

Dio was great! it was weird, it was a hot evening in Sac even all the way thru the opening act ( sorry i was too high to remember ) but when Dio took then stage all these dark clouds rolled in and it got very cold!

Peter Frampton we were so close i could have touched him! small crowd at the Grand Sierra, he was fantastic ( this man is a VERY underrated guitarist. ) he did all his greats plus a great rendition of Black Hole Sun. very classy man 

and of course GN'R 4-8-16...best ever!:headbang::heart::headbang:

I love reading threads like this. 

here are mine in chronological order:

1- Trans Siberian Orchestra-  New Orleans, sometime around 2007-2008 

When i was younger, around the age of 10 or 11, my parents took me to see Trans Siberian Orchestra at the Arena (now the Smoothie King Center) in New Orleans. I don't really remember much about the night except for the fact that a roadie came up to my parents and told them that the vocalist that played the narrator had seen me from the stage and wanted me to come backstage as well as receive a surprise. I was very interested, but my extremely bad social anxiety was getting the best of me. It was either me or my dad who asked the roadie what the catch was, and all he said i had to do was get on stage. On stage? In front of what looked like a million people? No fucking way. The roadie left and i started crying. I had no intention of getting on that fucking stage in front of all those people just to go backstage at some concert of a crazy Christmas metal band... no way. The roadie eventually came back towards the end of the concert to collect me and i told him i had gotten cold feet and truly did not want to expose myself in that way. He tried and tried and pleaded with me, but i turned the man down and started crying. He told me it was okay, but i would regret it extremely. My parents told him very nicely that i was fine, and he left. During the last song, everyone who had performed came out on stage for this big number and they all circled around what seemed to be a child around my age. All of a sudden the guitarist takes his guitar off and puts it around the kid, and the kid walks off stage with it. The kid that was supposed to be me. The guitar ended up being some $100 Jackson that was autographed by the whole band, but still the fact that i could have had my hands on that AND been on stage in front of like 12,000 people really was a missed oppurtuntiy. I'm almost 20 now and i still have a sever case of social anxiety, but i'm smart enough to know that even if my anxiety will go through the roof, some opportunities need to be taken. 

2- Slash/Hillbilly Herald (opener)  - 5/6/12 Biloxi, Mississippi 

Almost 6 years of being obsessed with GNR in my younger years came to a head at this concert. I don't think there will be a bigger build up for a concert for me in my life. This was on Slash's Apocalyptic Love World Tour, and i think the show was announced sometime in December. 5 months of waiting. ugh. I begged and pleaded with my parents to let me get the tickets. Due to the show being in a Casio (Hard Rock Cafe/Hotel/Casio Biloxi), if you were under 21, you had to have someone 30 or older accompany you on the property. I was only 14 at the time. It took a bunch of pleading, but my mom finally agreed to go. I remember that day like it was yesterday. My mom picked me up from school and we got on the interstate and jetted to Biloxi, which is an hour and a half drive from New Orleans with traffic. We got to the Hard Rock as soon as the sun was setting. I remember trying to hurry my mom to get into the building so we could start lining up for the show. Once we finally got in i RAN to the side i knew slash was going to be on. I was right under his feet. Hillbilly Herald was unmemorable. But as soon as the lights went down and i saw that top hat walk right out and stand literally right in front of me, my 14-pre-pubescent self knew it was on. He fucking opened with Mean Bone of all songs. MEAN BONE. I was locked in. That night i got Nightrain, Rocket Queen, SCOM, and Paradise, but it was so crazy to finally hear them in that genuine Slash tone. Myles didn't even phase me. I was staring at Slash and just smiling, enjoying myself, and singing (according to my mother who stood by my side the whole time).  Other highlights are all the VR songs: Dirty Little Thing, Slither, Sucker Train Blues, and Fall To Pieces i got to hear as VR was (and still is) on Hiatus and i never got to see them in their heyday. I think they even played a cover of Mississippi Queen for good measure. Most of those songs Slash would eventually drop later in the SMKC career for their own material and other covers, so it was awesome i got to see a pretty amazing cover-heavy setlist pre-WOF. The next four times Slash would come around the NOLA area would be strictly 18+ or 4 hours away, so i never got to see SMKC again, making this more special to me. 

3- Slipknot -  6/11/12 The Woodlands, TX (Mayhem Fest) 

I was obsessed with Slipknot in my early/mid teens. I collected the masks and had a wall dedicated to them in my room. This was the first major tour that Slipknot did since bassist Paul Grays death in 2010. So of course when I heard that they were playing Houston, i begged someone, anyone to take me! My Uncle, who works for Clear Channel out of Houston sent me a pit ticket for free. My Dad eventually gave in and we made a trip out of it to see our old friends who used to live in New Orleans before Katrina. I was pretty confused about the way the other bands were set to play, so i didn't show up when Mayhem opened at like 11 in the morning, but rather 6 at night when the bigger bands took the stage. Along with Slipknot, i got to see Anthrax (with Rob Caggiano), Motorhead (RIP LEMMY!!!) and Slayer (with Dave Lombardo and the first of the Gary Holt U.S. dates). But it was Slipknot who i came to see. Unfortunately the show would not be the "perfect" Slipknot show as guitarist Jim Roots appendix had burst a couple days before this. But at least i got to see Joey Jordison before he would be fired the year after this. I fell in love with Slipknot because of their self-titled and Iowa albums. Luckily enough, 9 out of the 14 songs played that night were off of both of those albums. The highlight of the night though was DJ Sid Wilson appearing in the crowd for Spit It Out and showing up RIGHT next to me in the pit, putting his hand on my shoulder and screaming "DON'T BE A BUNCH OF PUSSIES GET READY FOR THIS SHIT" we then grabbed on to him and almost cradled him until Corey came in with the "JUMP THE FUCK UP" we then threw Sid up as a body guard pushed his ass forward to make sure Sid was pushed over the rail. The pit for that show was incredible as well. I'll have to find the shitty photo i took of my arm holding onto Sid. Crazy night with good memories. 

4- AWOLNATION -10/27/12 Voodoo Fest 

The ultimate concert experience for me. I honestly think this could be the #1 moment of my life up until this point as well. I've talked about this moment many a time, and the video footage of this concert has turned many a person on to this band. I went to this festival on this specific day to see Metallica. But boy, did i leave talking about AWOLNATION. I had no idea who they, or he, was at the time and i was not prepared at all for what i was about to witness. The intro of the same name to AWOLs first album Megalithic Symphony started ringing out over the speakers. The band walked out and proceeded to go into a breakdown immediately. For the next hour, lead singer Aaron Bruno sang, screamed, and quite literally turned the small crowd the band had watching them into a circus. Bruno demanded a crowd surfer, someone, anyone.. move! He let everyone know they could dance the way they wanted too and be who they wanna be. 4 songs in, people were dancing and there was a crowd surfer what seemed like every 30-45 seconds. 2/3rds of the way through the set and theres more crowd surfers then there are people in the crowd to hold them up. Last song and a freaking mosh pit breaks out. Not something you would expect of the band that created the song Sail. They were just that heavy live. It was just a special moment. I went there expecting something totally different and got the most out of it.. The music was just so appealing to me and still is to this day. There is just something about that day and show i associate with happiness. Since then i have seen them 5 more times, once a year since 2012 in 4 states, become a writer and reporter for the biggest known AWOLNATION fansite, and currently have tickets to see them in April in Houston. That show really sparked an obsession that just continues to grow every day. Unfortunately the video of the full show has disappeared without a trace. But i did have my own personal video of the chaos that was that day:

Did i also mention that singer Aaron Bruno surfed the crowd with an actual boogie board? This show was awesome. 

oh yeah, and uh, Metallica was good. Or whatever :lol:

5- Guns N' Roses- 11/21/12 (Appetite For Democracy DVD Show) 

While almost everyone who is a fan of this band hates this show, I remember it in a far better way. This was my first GNR show. My mom and I flew out to Las Vegas during my Thanksgiving break from school to catch one show.. I was 15 at the time, and really scared i was going to never get to see my favorite band live as everyone was getting older and there was no reunion in sight at that time. There were some rumors floating around here at that time that GNR were to become a Vegas act and just fade into obscurity like Poison.  I was determined to see them no matter what. I begged and pleaded with my parents once again and they gave me the oppurtuntiy. Sure enough we got there and the place was decked out in all things GNR. I honestly spent a whole day looking around the Hard Rock at all the amazing memorabilia. My mom and i were also the first ones to lineup for this show. About 2 hours before the doors opened. It felt like the longest wait i've ever experienced. When the doors opened, i ran to the rail and got right under where i knew Axl would be, but a little to the left so i could see Fortus' side. I was right in the front. Holy shit i was pumped up. Axl and the boys were on time and ran through the typical setlist of that time. It was amazing to finally get to see Axl on that stage. I felt like this void that i sank most my time into as a kid was finally vilified. I sang along to every song and jammed out hard as hell. Im not sure, but i think i got 4tus attention for most of the night because during some of the times i looked over at him, he was staring right at me. That night went by so quickly. But it really was special to me as it was my first encounter with Axl and the music he made that i fell in love with. Little did i know a DVD would come out of the deal. I think the coolest thing about it is that my beautiful face is clearly seen head banging and singing along in the trailer to the DVD and throughout the whole show. Its awesome that i have a Blu-Ray reminder of my first GNR show.

6. P.O.D. - 8/1/13 Houston, TX

Here is a simple one with a simple explanation. The crowd was jammed in tight and went OFF. That place went monkey shit when P.O.D. came out. Boom was the song they opened with, and the singer Sonny jumped into the crowd and got right in my face. I was also there with two of my best friends from high school i barley see anymore.  

I have more, but i figure i would present these first! I loved reading everyones stories in this thread! Really good idea

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

@KeyserSoze post a clip of the Vegas DVD with a time so we know which cat is you on there! ?

The camera was on the other side of where i was for most of the shots, but here: 

Thats a little younger version of KeyserSoze at the 17:06 mark sammiched in-between the two Asian ladies and cracking my knuckles during Estranged. 

Thats also me head banging and singing on the bottom right at the 18:30 mark next to all those Asians 

But this is the best shot of me: 2:17 singing my heart out in the trailer

I would also like to point out that i think Axl pissed his pants sometime during this performance. Its clearly evident if you look at his crotch area around LALD and after that. I also have a picture that most certainly looks like he did. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

The camera was on the other side of where i was for most of the shots, but here: 

Thats a little younger version of KeyserSoze at the 17:06 mark sammiched in-between the two Asian ladies and cracking my knuckles during Estranged. 

Thats also me head banging and singing on the bottom right at the 18:30 mark next to all those Asians 

I would also like to point out that i think Axl pissed his pants sometime during this performance. Its clearly evident if you look at his crotch area around LALD and after that. I also have a picture that most certainly looks like he did. 

That's awesome man- great souvenir to have for the rest of your life! Here's to hoping you keep on getting sammiched in between 2 Asian ladies! :lol:

I've noticed that about Axl's pants on that DVD. I prefer to think he spilled a drink, but who knows...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

geez ahahahahahahaha! :lol:

• Like 1