Your most memorable/favorite concerts attended

gt72

I don't have my top shows ranked except the number one and that one is...

David Gilmour in ancient amphitheater in Pula, Croatia in 2015. The show lasted for 2h30m in a beautiful setting and with a great light show that wasn't distracting from the music (my only slight complaint for The Wall tour) and his new album wasn't out yet so I've heard several songs for the first time there plus awesome renditions of some of the best Pink Floyd material. Magical experience, thought that The Wall show was amazing but this one took me to another place. Gilmour's tone and feel is untouchable in my opinion. 

The rest of really memorable shows I saw in no order:

Muse (+Kasabian subbing them) at Rock Werchter, Belgium in 2015. They played arguably the best setlist on the tour there including, my 2 favorite Muse songs - Citizen Erased and Micro Cuts. They sounded MASSIVE and I really mean that. The best and the loudest sounding open air show I've heard in my life (and I saw Motorhead twice). You could feel it your bones. Noticed that they gradually turned the volume up during the whole day and then Muse started with that awesome Psycho riff and it really felt like someone is shaking me. Also have to say that the whole festival is amazing and I can't recommend it enough. It's all about the music, the number of drunken (or high) idiots is minimum. Sound is perfect, organisation is stellar, camping is good and weather is usually nice. 

Queens of the Stone Age at Rock at Exit, Novi Sad, Serbia in 2014. Again great setting. The was the show where everything clicked. The connection between the crowd and the band was amazing. One of those things you can't explain unless you experience it. Gonna try with the video clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGqQKz4BwAs Had a mini tour with 2 Slovenians and saw them in Ljubljana then Zagreb then Novi Sad and we all agreed that first 2 shows felt like warm ups for this one. They played 15-20 minutes over their time slot and added 3 songs to the setlist so I know they felt the same thing. 

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, Beogradska Arena, Belgrade, Serbia, 2008. If you ever saw Nick Cave in any setting or band you know that he always gives 100% but this show looked like he gave 120% of himself. Saw him 4 more times and no show can touch the greatness of this one, again one of those shows were everything fell into its place. 

Metallica Partizan's Stadium, Belgrade, Serbia, 2004. My first big concert and don't know if I can objectively say if it was good but for sure it was memorable. First big stadium rock show in Serbia in 15 years or so, you can imagine how pumped the whole crowd was. 

Iggy Pop, Exit festival, Serbia, 2004. Iggy Pop is the man, reminds me a lot of Nick Cave, just punk version of it. Always gives 100%, always makes a great show and plays great. Someone explained better how awesome his shows are earlier in the thread.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rock im Park, Germany in 2016. Saw them 4 times since 2007. One bad show (2007), 2 good ones (2012 and 2016) and one amazing one. The setlist looked like I wrote it :lol: The band was great as usual, they jammed a lot between like every other song. Some people dislike that but I love those jams so much. Kiedis was in the mood so that elevates that show above every other. Setlist was stellar, looked like I was the one who wrote it with gems like Higher Ground, Sir Psycho Sexy, Nobody Weird Like Me and Me and My Friends with 7+ minute version of The Adventures of Raindance Maggie with like 3 minutes long outro.

Slash in Beogradska Arena, Belgrade, Serbia, 2011. I love his band, especially Myles so I enjoyed it a lot. On that tour they still played Snakepit, Velvet Revolver songs (they only did Slither after) which was amazing and also songs like Civil War, My Michelle and Mr. Brownstone were still regulatory played with the best songs from the Slash's solo album. All around great night. 

Guns N' Roses in Beogradska Arena, Belgrade, Serbia, 2010. Well, first time seeing Guns, Axl sounded great and was smiling the whole night, visuals looked good in the arena, even DJ Ashba played good. The show was tight all around, had flow and seemed natural unlike the 2012 show I attended. Great first Guns experience.

Prince, Sziget festival, Budapest, 2011. Well, it's Prince. Read Nick Cave and Iggy Pop :D 

I would like to add a lot of small shows I saw but they were never THAT memorable for me. I don't know. For me it always feels better and more amazing when bands and artists make the arena/stadium/big festival shows unique, personal and amazing. 

There's a lot of special ones but a few that come to mind...

Velvet Revolver in a parking lot in Hollywood (10/04) - Contraband had just went gold, they were taking off for a big tour and they played a free show. It was my first time seeing any GNR members live and i got right up front. They were on FIRE at that point.

Velvet Revolver at the Whisky (7/07) - Special free libertad release show. Seeing them in such a small club with so much guns history was rad. Out of the close to 30 times I've seen Scott live, this was his best. He was insane and completely controlled the audience that night.

Ace Frehley at the Viper Room (9/09) - special release show for Anomaly in a little club in Hollywood. Great set list, I was front row and Slash came out and jammed on Cold Gin to close the show. I caught both Slash and Ace's picks that night.

Various Cheap Trick shows - I've seen them 39 times and they all know who I am by now so there's been a ton of really special experiences at cheap trick shows. One of my favorites was when Rick handed me one of his guitars after he finished a song. I've gotten handfuls of picks thrown directly in to my face a few times as well.

Jane's Addiction at the Roxy (7/10) - special free Jane's show at the roxy in Hollywood. This was one of 2 American shows that Duff played bass for Janes at (I was at the other one as well) but this was a full show. It started with the curtains shut, you hear duff start the intro bass riff to whores and then the curtains opened, the band comes blazing out and two chicks were swinging over the audience and stage from chains connected to hooks in their skin. It was an obliteration of all my sense in the best possible way.

Axl/DC in Columbus, OH (9/16) - flew out from LA day of the show and was front row, center. Got to meet Axl after the show. It was an incredible 1 day trip.

there are tons more including KISS, reunited stooges, Robert plant, Paul McCartney and more but those are the stand outs.

• Like 2

SO many to list but here are few that stuck in my head in no particular order from the 70's other decades to follow

• Humble Pie/ Edgar Winter Group/ Ramamtam- August 1972 Gaelic Park Bronx, NY my first concert and a great show
  • Ten Years After/ Edgar Winter Group/ Ramatam September 1972- Ramatam had Mitch Mitchell on drums and a fantastic female lead guitar player April Lawton
  • Jethro Tull with  Roxy Music with Eno opening December 1972 - Never heard of Roxy Music at that point but what a  great opening act
  • Yes 1972 Close to the Edge Tour
  • ELP  July 1974 Yale Bowl, CT.  Brain Salad Surgery Tour
  • King Crimson Schaefer Music Fest 1974 Last show of the RED lineup
  • Sly and the Family Stone 1974 MSG, NYC- could swear this was on Thanksgiving and Sly was over an hour late but great show
  • Rush/ Kiss/ Joe Vitale's Madman- 1975 Erie, PA-  In a college gym like setting so I was standing on the floor not to far from the stage and I can still feel the heat from Kiss's flashpots 
  • Aerosmith/ Ted Nugent  August 1975 Shaefer Music Fest Central Park- As good as Aerosmith was Nugent was almost better as it was just around when his first solo album was released before he started his caveman act and went political.
  • Rolling Stones MSG 1975
  • Black Sabbath Ashbury Park. NY 1975- Saw them again in 1978 with Ted Nugent opening
  • Thin Lizzy - Palladium, NYC Oct 1977 w/ Robbo on guitar just an amazing concert
  • Queen/ Thin Lizzy MSG Feb 1977 w/ Gary Moore replacing Robbo
  • UFO & AC/DC June 1979 Poughkeepsie, NY- only time I saw them with Bon Scott

Also saw Johnny Thunders back in the late 70's in NYC I think at Max's Kansas City but can't be sure of when and where

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Why's that? I was at the Gillette gig and thought it was terrific.

It was good, but that first tour after the Rio show was amazing. Concert footage wasn't what it is now. Axl still had the fire. The rants. 

And that Hammerstein show was so intimate. General admission. And Izzy and Axl sharing the stage for the first time since 93. 

Sitting in the stands in Gillette was just kinda lackluster. Axl in 2002 and 2006 was like the Axl of old. He's mellowed out. I dunno. 

4 hours ago, drtydane said:

It was good, but that first tour after the Rio show was amazing. Concert footage wasn't what it is now. Axl still had the fire. The rants. 

And that Hammerstein show was so intimate. General admission. And Izzy and Axl sharing the stage for the first time since 93. 

Sitting in the stands in Gillette was just kinda lackluster. Axl in 2002 and 2006 was like the Axl of old. He's mellowed out. I dunno. 

Those are good points, yeah. I suppose for me it's different cause I had been longing to see Axl and slash since I was 9. Plus, it was my first gnr gig, and I thought he sang well. I was just watching some vids from 1991 Tho and I can see why people feel like the fire has kinda died down a bit. But at least it's better now than it was in 2011-2014, at least in my opinion.

Edited by rocknroll41

Guns N Roses at Milton Keynes 1993 was special. Izzy returned to replace injured Gilby. I had a sign on my back saying 'Here's Izzy' & my mate had 'Where's Gilby'. Anyone see us??? 

My first VR concert in Berlin 2004 was a highlight too as it was the first time I saw Scott. And in a small club. 

For Festivals it was Download 2010. 3 days with headliners AC/DC,  RATM, Aerosmith. Slash with Myles were also on, Billy Idol, Cinderella, STP & Loads more

Concerts in the 80's........the 80's were a blur for me as I was back in college getting my engineering degree while working almost fulltime to pay for it  so things are a little fuzzy for that decade and I was college poor until the mid 80's so I am sure I am missing a bunch of good shows but here you go

• Black Sabbath w/ RJ DIO...August 1980 Hartford CT...saw them again in 93 but this show was magic
  • Rolling Stones- November  1981 Hartford, CT
  • Husker Du- Oct 1987 Toads Place, New Haven, CT..........one of the few times I joined the mosh pit...great unsung band IMHO
  • The Cult - July 1987 Felt Forum NYC on the  Electric Tour- very raw and one of my favorite Cult shows I have attended
  • Guns N Roses- 1987 L'Amour- Another good show in a small club but it was a little sloppy as Slash was hammered and so was I if I remember correctly which is suspect.........
  • Guns N Roses- 1987 Ritz......this was their first appearance not the infamous MTV 1988 show..and I can say having been there it was a much better perfomance IMHO
  • Aerosmith/ Guns N Roses- 1988 Mansfield, Mass.wnet to 2 of the shows and Guns was good but Axl's voice was shot at this point and he was croaking if I remember correctly
  • Living Colour- August 1988 Toads Place, New Haven, CT....Another of those underrated bands who should have been much bigger...Vernon Reid is an amazing guitarist........
  • Joe Cocker/ Stevei Ray Vaughn- August 1988 Lake Compounce, Bristol, CT- Went with a bunch of friends who went to see Joe COcker but I went to see SRV who was incredible
  • The Cult- July 1989- Sonic Temple tour- Lake Compounce, Bristol, CT- Another good show but it was hot as hell that day if I remember correctly
  • Ian Hunter/ Mick Ronson with Steve Jones Band opening- November 1989 Toads Place, New Haven, CT......went to this show solo and had the perfect buzz on by the time Hunter/ Ronson came on. One of my top 5 concerts of all time and was honored to see Mick Ronson before he passed away. Steve Jones opened and  played most of his Fire and Gasoline album which I ran out an bought the next day...one of those rare magic concert nights......
  • Rolling Stones- September 1989 Sullivan Stadium, Foxboro, MA...good show but I hate Stadium shows as they have no soul IMHO

• Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 9:29 PM, Stiff Competition said:

There's a lot of special ones but a few that come to mind...

Velvet Revolver in a parking lot in Hollywood (10/04) - Contraband had just went gold, they were taking off for a big tour and they played a free show. It was my first time seeing any GNR members live and i got right up front. They were on FIRE at that point.

Velvet Revolver at the Whisky (7/07) - Special free libertad release show. Seeing them in such a small club with so much guns history was rad. Out of the close to 30 times I've seen Scott live, this was his best. He was insane and completely controlled the audience that night.

Ace Frehley at the Viper Room (9/09) - special release show for Anomaly in a little club in Hollywood. Great set list, I was front row and Slash came out and jammed on Cold Gin to close the show. I caught both Slash and Ace's picks that night.

Various Cheap Trick shows - I've seen them 39 times and they all know who I am by now so there's been a ton of really special experiences at cheap trick shows. One of my favorites was when Rick handed me one of his guitars after he finished a song. I've gotten handfuls of picks thrown directly in to my face a few times as well.

Jane's Addiction at the Roxy (7/10) - special free Jane's show at the roxy in Hollywood. This was one of 2 American shows that Duff played bass for Janes at (I was at the other one as well) but this was a full show. It started with the curtains shut, you hear duff start the intro bass riff to whores and then the curtains opened, the band comes blazing out and two chicks were swinging over the audience and stage from chains connected to hooks in their skin. It was an obliteration of all my sense in the best possible way.

Axl/DC in Columbus, OH (9/16) - flew out from LA day of the show and was front row, center. Got to meet Axl after the show. It was an incredible 1 day trip.

there are tons more including KISS, reunited stooges, Robert plant, Paul McCartney and more but those are the stand outs.

wow you got to see some amazing concerts!

"Ace Frehley at the Viper Room (9/09) - special release show for Anomaly in a little club in Hollywood. Great set list, I was front row and Slash came out and jammed on Cold Gin to close the show. I caught both Slash and Ace's picks that night." Amazing! 

"Axl/DC in Columbus, OH (9/16) - flew out from LA day of the show and was front row, center. Got to meet Axl after the show. It was an incredible 1 day trip." oh Lord this is making my head spin!"

• Like 2