What direction should the next album go in?

What direction should the next album go in?  

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, if there are actually plans to put together a new album of original Guns N Roses material and assuming we have lost Izzy Stradlin, Steven Adler, and Matt Sorum from contributing to any future material -- where do we go now?

What direction should the next album be? Should they go back to where they started and put together a lean mean modern rock record in the spirit of AFD and Use your Illusion 1 (most of those songs were written in the AFD era). Velvet Revolver attempted to do this with Contraband to mixed results. 

Or should they continue where they left off with Use Your Illusion 2 and evolve further in the art-rock/prog-rock direction? November Rain/Locomotive epic stuff mixed in with stuff like 14 years and Pretty Tied Up.

A blend of both perhaps?

Edited by RONIN

I say it should be a UYI 3 / Chinese II type of thing. take demos and shit from that era that are still in skeleton phase and work those out in an album of 12 or 14 tunes.

Take the Chinese II stuff that is "supposedly" finished, put it up on a website, and let people buy it ala Itunes. .99 cents  a song, or the whole package for a set fee. I dont see the point in taking songs that are finished already, erasing parts and having Duff and Slash throw shit ontop of that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I say it should be a UYI 3 / Chinese II type of thing. take demos and shit from that era that are still in skeleton phase and work those out in an album of 12 or 14 tunes.

Take the Chinese II stuff that is "supposedly" finished, put it up on a website, and let people buy it ala Itunes. .99 cents  a song, or the whole package for a set fee. I dont see the point in taking songs that are finished already, erasing parts and having Duff and Slash throw shit ontop of that. 

Agreed. I would hate to lose the Buckethead/Brain/Freese stuff - but with Slash and Duff in the mix, that seems like a virtual guarantee. 

I would like to see an updated version of AFD/UYI. Don't forget that songs like You Could Be Mine, Civil War, Yesterdays, and Knocking on Heaven's Doors were all part of the AFD days as well even though they are on UYI II.  

With Slash and Duff back, I would like to see the blues based hard rock music and not industrial nor electronic music. If I want that, I'll look at NIN, Rob Zombie, or some type of EDM artist, which my younger co-workers can point me to. I'm also interested of the 7 songs that Matt Sorum mentioned that were done in 96 and the 7 songs ideas that they had back then. 

Edited by Draguns
added
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

So, if there are actually plans to put together a new album of original Guns N Roses material and assuming we have lost Izzy Stradlin, Steven Adler, and Matt Sorum from contributing to any future material -- where do we go now?

What direction should the next album be? Should they go back to where they started and put together a lean mean modern rock record in the spirit of AFD and Use your Illusion 1 (most of those songs were written in the AFD era). Velvet Revolver attempted to do this with Contraband to mixed results. 

Or should they continue where they left off with Use Your Illusion 2 and evolve further in the art-rock/prog-rock direction? November Rain/Locomotive epic stuff mixed in with stuff like 14 years and Pretty Tied Up.

A blend of both perhaps?

In the direction of a release would be nice. Anything else is pushing our luck. 

• Like 2

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Rock n Roll.  Americana in general, southern rock, country style, Appetite type stuff, perhaps a ballad or two, the stuff they were good at basically.

Thoughts on Locomotive? Were you intrigued to see if they can go further in this direction and do it well?

Just now, RONIN said:

Thoughts on Locomotive? Were you intrigued to see if they can go further in this direction and do it well?

Yeah actually but that song to me is pretty much rock n roll.  Riff based with a sort of a modernist touch but rock n roll nonetheless.

I voted AFD/UYI1 style. GNR are a hard rock band and I would like to see a more hard rock album. I liked the fact that they didn't want to repeat another AFD and showed other sides to them unlike AC/DC for example. But with the amount of albums they've released over 30 years I think it's time to go back to doing another AFD style album. And with the way he sings AC/DC songs it's the best style to bring out the best vocals  we can expect to hear from Axl.

Thing is, this concern about repeating AFD or whatever, i dont think it should be, you can't really repeat stuff like that, even if you try.  For example, listen to The Stones playing blues today, it don't make em sound like The Stones debut album, it makes em sound like The Stones playing blues in 2017, it has a freshness to it, it's about how you play it, not what it is, if they made a pure hard rock album today it wouldn't sound like Appetite, as long as they made it without too much studio fuckery and when at it like they meant it it would likely sound fresh.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah actually but that song to me is pretty much rock n roll.  Riff based with a sort of a modernist touch but rock n roll nonetheless.

Prog/Art rock maybe? That locomotive outro fading out always left me hanging with a big "what if?". What would they come up with next if they could push that sound further.

How do you rate the "epics" of CD: Prostitute, TWAT, If the World,  Sorry and Catcher in the Rye?  These are the ones that I've felt could have been salvaged with Duff and Slash involved. 

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thing is, this concern about repeating AFD or whatever, i dont think it should be, you can't really repeat stuff like that, even if you try.  For example, listen to The Stones playing blues today, it don't make em sound like The Stones debut album, it makes em sound like The Stones playing blues in 2017, it has a freshness to it, it's about how you play it, not what it is, if they made a pure hard rock album today it wouldn't sound like Appetite, as long as they made it without too much studio fuckery and when at it like they meant it it would likely sound fresh.

I think the concern is more rooted in them doing something very generic like Contraband in an attempt to rehash the past. A middle of the road hard rock record.

All I can say about a new album is if you didn't like what Slash did with World on Fire, you're gonna have a bad time. I don't think there's any plans for a new album yet. After this tour ends, I totally expect Axl to work with Angus and Slash does his SMKC III record that has been delayed for almost a year already and tour that 2017-2018. After that if they're gonna talk about a GNR album I hope they sort out the line up..