What direction should the next album go in?

What direction should the next album go in?  

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, wasted said:

I keeping thinking AC/DC will cover For Whom the Bell Tolls wit Axl. 

7 hours ago, Requiem16 said:

Not a big AC/DC fan, but the future of GNR is too obvious: no new music but an endless touring. AC/DC has opportunities to record with Axl some cool rock`in material. So, long live AC/DC!

20 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

GnR is dead, long live AC/DC.

And on top of that, Axl can not delay anything or fuck around forever when he's in ACDC 'cause he's not the ultimate decision maker in that band. With ACDC things are fast with concrete decisions. so Long Live ACDC!

Edited by ©GnrPersia

Well, if Axl is doing stuff with AC/DC, that's not necessarily bad news. Atleast that will distract him from ruining the GnR brand any further. They should not record/release any new music without Izzy. The legacy has already been tarnished with Chinese Democracy. Better to just leave things alone and continue cashing out with touring and movie/game licensing. 

10 people voted for Chinese Democracy 2 and want more Riad and Shacklers? Reveal yourselves :lol:

I think once Slash and Duff are back releasing CD II as is isn't going to happen. But reworked CD era material seems like something different. 

I think a hard rock record with every song having Rose, Slash, McKagan credits might be great. GNR return to hard rock glory.  

The thing to avoid is the record as a commercial for the tour. 

I'd say like a mixture. I know Use Your Illusion (both albums, I count them as one) is pretty old, but particularly right now, Civil War is very relevant. Their sound is relevant and while no albums sound the same, that's a good thing. I feel like Guns should keep going forward if they were to make a new album. It wouldn't be a scary thing, it would sound pretty great, I'd think.

19 hours ago, wasted said:

I think once Slash and Duff are back releasing CD II as is isn't going to happen. But reworked CD era material seems like something different. 

I think a hard rock record with every song having Rose, Slash, McKagan credits might be great. GNR return to hard rock glory.  

The thing to avoid is the record as a commercial for the tour.

I see it as a mix. It would be very much in the style of Guns N' Roses to release a new album with all sorts of material re worked or from the past or even brand new. Like a UYI type theme where it's just a dump of everything.

I don't think they need Izzy to write necessarily. Izzy almost seems to make better solo songs than a lot of the stuff he's the primary writer for in Guns. There are literally dozens of his solo songs that are better than you ain't the first or bad obsession or even move to the city from lies. Double talkin jive and pretty tied up are the only 2 UYI songs he's listed as the primary that I'd consider some of the better UYI stuff. Like 4 UYI songs in total are all him?

I don't mean to negate Izzys effect but I think it tends to be a little overblown especially as of late. 

So how much is he conducive to the guns sound really? Half their hits/fan favorites catalog seems to be the antithesis of his style. Songs like Coma, estranged, November rain, locomotive, breakdown, civil war,the garden, dead horse, yesterday's-he's absent from the credits. He's not On rocket queen either. Writing wise that is. It's so easy is duff. Jungle and SCOM were Slash/Axl? 

He might write better individually than a band setting. Or his songs come out better with just him before others get to it. His solo stuff seems more organic and that's not really Guns thing. There is no denying his credit on much of appetite, lies, don't cry, dtj, pretty tied up and you could be mine. But it's not like they never could write without him. At least on paper.

id love to see how it was all written or hear their accounts of it. As Axl said in the chats to say anyone brought in a complete song is crazy so this is all conjecture.

Edited by Sprite
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sprite said:

I see it as a mix. It would be very much in the style of Guns N' Roses to release a new album with all sorts of material re worked or from the past or even brand new. Like a UYI type theme where it's just a dump of everything.

I don't think they need Izzy to write necessarily. Izzy almost seems to make better solo songs than a lot of the stuff he's the primary writer for in Guns. There are literally dozens of his solo songs that are better than you ain't the first or bad obsession or even move to the city from lies. Double talkin jive and pretty tied up are the only 2 UYI songs he's listed as the primary that I'd consider some of the better UYI stuff. Like 4 UYI songs in total are all him?

I don't mean to negate Izzys effect but I think it tends to be a little overblown especially as of late. 

So how much is he conducive to the guns sound really? Half their hits/fan favorites catalog seems to be the antithesis of his style. Songs like Coma, estranged, November rain, locomotive, breakdown, civil war,the garden, dead horse, yesterday's-he's absent from the credits. He's not On rocket queen either. Writing wise that is. It's so easy is duff. Jungle and SCOM were Slash/Axl? 

He might write better individually than a band setting. Or his songs come out better with just him before others get to it. His solo stuff seems more organic and that's not really Guns thing. There is no denying his credit on much of appetite, lies, don't cry, dtj, pretty tied up and you could be mine. But it's not like they never could write without him. At least on paper.

id love to see how it was all written or hear their accounts of it. As Axl said in the chats to say anyone brought in a complete song is crazy so this is all conjecture.

That's the thing with Izzy. I agree he's not the sound of GNR but he wrote a lot more than people think. And I think his influence really guided the rock n roll feel of AFD/Lies.

Izzy wrote the cords to SCOM, that's the tune. Izzy wrote Nightrain, OTGM, Brownstone, Anything goes, Patience, Used to love her, Move to the city, You could be Mine, Don't Cry, RNDTH, DustnBones, Perfect Crime, YouAin't the first, Bad obsession, DTJ, 14 years, Pretty tied Up, Bad apples (?). Maybe some mistakes there. I think Izzy brought these songs in, not fully done like they are but without him they don't exist. But they aren't Guns until Slash and Axl worked on them, changing them significantly. Ok, the whole band of brothers working in perfect union, massages, oil, the whole orgy of togetherness. 

But there's also a lot that don't seem to figure Izzy so much. I've never heard a Jungle or Civil War or Coma from Izzy. I've heard Out ta Get Me like Ball or Perfect Crime like Parasite or UTLH like Hell song. Literally every Izzy solo album could have been used for Guns. 

I kind of see how AFD and CD could be similar in being the focused melting pot albums but then UYI is a more diverse explosion, that could be what they have now, in that they have lots of different styles and themes and old and new stuff. Izzy has possibly been replaced writing wise by Tobias, Dizzy, Finck, Fortus, Tommy. The other 3rd will be Slash/Duff new songs, then Axl's material. It could really be that Physical G remixed by Trent Reznor. 

Edited by wasted

20 minutes ago, wasted said:

That's the thing with Izzy. I agree he's not the sound of GNR but he wrote a lot more than people think. And I think his influence really guided the rock n roll feel of AFD/Lies.

Izzy wrote the cords to SCOM, that's the tune. Izzy wrote Nightrain, OTGM, Brownstone, Anything goes, Patience, Used to love her, Move to the city, You could be Mine, Don't Cry, RNDTH, DustnBones, Perfect Crime, YouAin't the first, Bad obsession, DTJ, 14 years, Pretty tied Up, Bad apples (?). Maybe some mistakes there. I think Izzy brought these songs in, not fully done like they are but without him they don't exist. But they aren't Guns until Slash and Axl worked on them, changing them significantly. Ok, the whole band of brothers working in perfect union, massages, oil, the whole orgy of togetherness. 

But there's also a lot that don't seem to figure Izzy so much. I've never heard a Jungle or Civil War or Coma from Izzy. I've heard Out ta Get Me like Ball or Perfect Crime like Parasite or UTLH like Hell song. Literally every Izzy solo album could have been used for Guns. 

I kind of see how AFD and CD could be similar in being the focused melting pot albums but then UYI is a more diverse explosion, that could be what they have now, in that they have lots of different styles and themes and old and new stuff. Izzy has possibly been replaced writing wise by Tobias, Dizzy, Finck, Fortus, Tommy. The other 3rd will be Slash/Duff new songs, then Axl's material. It could really be that Physical G remixed by Trent Reznor. 

I think part of the problem is that some people say things like "Izzy wrote Mr. Brownstone/Don't Cry". It can be completely misunderstood. It looks like you are saying that Izzy wrote those songs all by himself when he wrote Mr. Brownstone with Slash and Don't Cry with Axl. You might mean that he was an influential/big part of the writing of those songs, but it doesn't really come across that way. Instead it looks like the others are being minimized to promote Izzy's part in the song writing. That then gets under people's skin who will then reply in a way makes people who are fans of Izzy feel that Izzy is being marginalized and the cycle just keeps on going round and round.

Edited by sanity_lost

A bit of this a bit of that, a real GN'R album in other words. I would like to hear some UYI 1 type of thing and some "heavier" songs. Don't mind 1-2 ballads also. But if this will ever see the light of day, one can only hope. I'm not holding my breath over a new album but I didn't thought Slash and Duff would rejoin the band and Axl would tour with AC/DC either. So anything could happen. 

57 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

I think part of the problem is that some people say things like "Izzy wrote Mr. Brownstone/Don't Cry". It can be completely misunderstood. It looks like you are saying that Izzy wrote those songs all by himself when he wrote Mr. Brownstone with Slash and Don't Cry with Axl. You might mean that he was an influential/big part of the writing of those songs, but it doesn't really come across that way. Instead it looks like the others are being minimized to promote Izzy's part in the song writing. That then gets under people's skin who will then reply in a way makes people who are fans of Izzy feel that Izzy is being marginalized and the cycle just keeps on going round and round.

There's an element of that. I think both. Sometimes I think Izzy isn't that important. He just had the riff or cords, but Slash is the one who really took most songs to what they are. Izzy has never done anything as big as GNR songs solo, but Slash has solo stuff that is comparable in size. The dynamics, not the success. Izzy is much less brash and understated. But then on the other hand, if Izzy wrote the melody and lyrics then that's huge writing wise. It's hard to overlook that. 

If Izzy is only important on songs he wrote the lyrics, then he's not that important. If really a riff or melody isn't that important then he's not. 

But I think he contributed riffs, cords, sketches of songs, demos that were central to a lot of the songs. Plus lyrics in some cases. But he only did everything on a few tracks. And even when he wrote the lyrics and riff, Slash and Axl still made it GNR. Like DTJ, Izzy wrote the lyrics, riff, melody. 

If I look at it from the other side there aren't any songs on Slash solo or CD that sound like Think about you, Brownstone, Used to Love her, Patience, Double talkin, Dust n Bones, 14 Years, Pretty Tied Up. 

But even on the hits. Izzy wrote the cords to SCOM. Izzy wrote the riff to YCBM. Izzy wrote the music for Don't Cry. Patience seems like Izzy wrote the music again. I'm not sure if the credits are misleading or Axl wrote the music on YCBM and DC, and Izzy wrote the lyrics. 

Either way Izzy wrote a lot of those hits. It seems from the credits. 

Without Izzy you've got Jungle, Paradise City, Nov Rain as the major singles. 

But maybe Slash can do a YCBM without Izzy, She Builds Quick Machine isnt far off. Fall to Pieces, This I Love and Sorry aren't far off Don't Cry. 

So then I'm back to maybe it's just Axl and Slash that matter. Izzy was a creative force, the spark and style that shaped the first two records. I feel like AFD wouldn't be what it was without Izzy. 

But look at new material without Izzy. Slash can add a wealth of material. He brought 6-7 songs to UYI and Duff 2, that almost an album. Plus Axl had 5 songs.  They can do a Big 3 album. 

I think it would look something like this:

Garden of Eden

Don't Damn Me

Get in the Ring 

So Fine

Coma

November Rain

Dead Horse

Breakdown

Shotgun Blues

Estranged

Edited by wasted

I do think there can be a Guns n' Roses album without Izzy. Izzy wasn't even super prominent on the Illusions as others have pointed out. Do you honestly think that Slash and Duff w/Fortus can't pump out some kickass songs with Axl writing and singing lyrics over it? I love songs from Chinese and I love songs from VR- mix an album worth of more of the rock-material (CD, Better, TWAT, IRS, TIL, SOD w/Fall to Pieces, Slither, She Mine, For a Brother, SBQM, Messages) and you easily have what could have been the 97 record.

But as Axl says: "it don't really matter" since there won't be new music.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

I would love to hear CD2.....but with a couple more rockers than on CD1.

Songs like Better, Catcher, Twat, SOD...mixed in with Yesterdays, Nightrain, Rocketqueen, Nov Rain, Patience.....and also You Could Be Mine, Civil War, SCOM, Jungle and PC to round things out.

That's my perfect album.

31 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I do think there can be a Guns n' Roses album without Izzy. Izzy wasn't even super prominent on the Illusions as others have pointed out. Do you honestly think that Slash and Duff w/Fortus can't pump out some kickass songs with Axl writing and singing lyrics over it? I love songs from Chinese and I love songs from VR- mix an album worth of more of the rock-material (CD, Better, TWAT, IRS, TIL, SOD w/Fall to Pieces, Slither, She Mine, For a Brother, SBQM, Messages) and you easily have what could have been the 97 record.

But as Axl says: "it don't really matter" since there won't be new music.

There can definitely be a GNR album without Izzy. The question is what kind of album because Izzy wrote YCBM and Don't Cry. 

Izzy adds a dimension to some of the UYI material. Some of the stuff on there without Izzy is a little flat or thin. Still great mostly but maybe that's what the majority want? On CD there's just another couple of layers. But DTJ,Dust n Bones, 14 Years, Pretty just sit in that pocket, feel natural and loose.  

Maybe the reunion makes me think of an album that wouldn't be made. 

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

There can definitely be a GNR album without Izzy. The question is what kind of album because Izzy wrote YCBM and Don't Cry. 

Izzy adds a dimension to some of the UYI material. Some of the stuff on there without Izzy is a little flat or thin. Still great mostly but maybe that's what the majority want? On CD there's just another couple of layers. But DTJ,Dust n Bones, 14 Years, Pretty just sit in that pocket, feel natural and loose.  

Maybe the reunion makes me think of an album that wouldn't be made. 

I do agree that if there was a new album, it would lack songs such as Dust n' Bones and 14 Years- some of my favorite Guns songs. But the music needs to evolve, if there's new music I want there to be new sounds and songs as opposed to the style of songs that were recorded 20 years ago. 

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I do agree that if there was a new album, it would lack songs such as Dust n' Bones and 14 Years- some of my favorite Guns songs. But the music needs to evolve, if there's new music I want there to be new sounds and songs as opposed to the style of songs that were recorded 20 years ago. 

I like that kind of thing.

But does the reunion bring expectations? Those expectations may just be die hard expectations that most aren't actually expecting. 

So maybe it will be an evolution like CD rather than rekindling the old school chemistry. 

• Like 1