What direction should the next album go in?

What direction should the next album go in?  

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

But isn't that's just UYI I&II again. I want to hear SOME of that too, but I also want to hear them take it someplace I haven't heard before.

It's just the direction. I think (if they ever release something) it will sound fresh. New songs, new ideas but stay true to RnR 

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

It's just the direction. I think (if they ever release something) it will sound fresh. New songs, new ideas but stay true to RnR 

True, keep a rock and roll attitude, but rock n roll is about taking chances and not playing safe so taking a risk with a section of a song that messes with prog rock or all out pop etc. might piss some people off but it keeps people guessing. For me I love surprises when I'm listening to a record, when you're 8 songs in and it's all been great, but nothing out of the ordinary and then the band throws you through a loop it's fantastic.

Having said all of that, If Guns came out (whenever it may be) with a new record with 10 songs of all out devil horns rock, I'm not going to be complaining.... as long as it's quality music of course :D 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wasted said:

AFD II meets CD II is sort of what Axl said at China Exchange. 

Didn't he also say Slash n Duff listened to some of his stuff? Or he listened to some of their's? Or they at least talked about it in some form. I swear I remember that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wasted said:

AFD II meets CD II is sort of what Axl said at China Exchange. 

i guess i'm weird. i can hear songs like Think About You, UTLH, PTU, then some November Rain, Estranged, TIL, Twat, then some Better, Coma, Dead Horse, Yesterdays, tons of songs, mostly pre CD but now i think they're pretty cool. and then sine NEW music plz! :headbang:

6 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Didn't he also say Slash n Duff listened to some of his stuff? Or he listened to some of their's? Or they at least talked about it in some form. I swear I remember that.

Yes, Slash listened to his material, what I call call CD II. Axl also said he wanted to write like AFD again, not build walls of sound like CD/UYI he sings on. 

There might be new recording of all this stuff which will make it new. 

So CD II meets AFD II played by the new line up. 

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i guess i'm weird. i can hear songs like Think About You, UTLH, PTU, then some November Rain, Estranged, TIL, Twat, then some Better, Coma, Dead Horse, Yesterdays, tons of songs, mostly pre CD but now i think they're pretty cool. and then sine NEW music plz! :headbang:

So more 96 material. Those first few are Izzy. Izzy said Axl has 4 of his songs way back when. But basically that's what I said without the Izzy. It's just Axl said writing wise more like AFD. Writing together, Slash getting the melody and working from that. Writing together. 

18 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Slash heard CD II material is how I heard that. It's possible CD II was done and shelved and it is some other material started in the CD era. Easier to say CD II.

Just now, wasted said:

So more 96 material. Those first few are Izzy. Izzy said Axl has 4 of his songs way back when. But basically that's what I said without the Izzy. It's just Axl said writing wise more like AFD. Writing together, Slash getting the melody and working from that. Writing together. 

this is the direction i want it to go in. must be my crazy, delusional mind but weirder things have happened *coughAxlSlashReunioncough* :dance:

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

this is the direction i want it to go in. must be my crazy, delusional mind but weirder things have happened *coughAxlSlashReunioncough* :dance:

I think it's what Axl was saying at China Exchange. 

Reunion wasn't weird though, it was like judgment day. 

• Like 1

I chose the last option. Sure I love the AFD stuff but I'd much rather see it evolve a little as well.

I really liked the Illusions records and CD as well.

Perhaps maybe a song or two that go back to the AFD roots and go from there evolving it as well.

I definitely want to see a ballad on there. Though many may not agree I think that TIL was one of the most beautifully written through and through songs so maybe one like that. 

If you split it into writers

AFD/Lies type stuff - something Izzy wrote that Slash works up, old AFD demo. New material from Slash that captures that style, WOF was close. 

UYI - Slash and Duff music from 96 that is pretty close to UYI stuff. 

CD - Axl/Dizzy/Finck/Tobias material from CD era, maybe Fortus has a song. 

4 songs from each zone and it's 12 track self titled album. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2017 at 6:40 PM, RONIN said:

So, if there are actually plans to put together a new album of original Guns N Roses material and assuming we have lost Izzy Stradlin, Steven Adler, and Matt Sorum from contributing to any future material -- where do we go now?

What direction should the next album be? Should they go back to where they started and put together a lean mean modern rock record in the spirit of AFD and Use your Illusion 1 (most of those songs were written in the AFD era). Velvet Revolver attempted to do this with Contraband to mixed results. 

Or should they continue where they left off with Use Your Illusion 2 and evolve further in the art-rock/prog-rock direction? November Rain/Locomotive epic stuff mixed in with stuff like 14 years and Pretty Tied Up.

A blend of both perhaps?

In the direction of Guns N Roses

Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven

• Like 2

I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt that you will see a new album of original material out of Guns n' Roses ever again, especially a Guns n' Roses lineup featuring Axl, Slash and Duff. 

I would prepare your butt cheeks for AFD 30th Anniversary Reissues with "bonus" tracks and remasters as well as another live album and DVD. 

Bottom line: There is no money in releasing new music. The only way to make money with recorded music in 2017 is through commercial and Film/TV licensing, cash -grab reissues like Led Zeppelin and Paul McCartney regularly regurgitate (and soon, mark my words, GNR....) and overpriced tours of "legacy" bands with VIP tickets and "Fan Packages". 

A #1 Top selling album in 2017 sells a shocking amount less than it did 20, or 30 years ago. That is why you only have one shelf of music at Target, Wal Mart, Best Buy etc. And hen it comes to collecting royalties from digital sales, you're really screwed.  Nevermind streaming services. Taylor Swift will tell you about that. 

So, 3/5 of Guns n' Roses find themselves in the lucky position of not only being alive and able to play but more importantly to still have a mass audience willing to pay a LOT to see them. That business plan will quickly find diminishing returns and they will go back to their other less financially lucrative projects. Meanwhile though.....they're making a LOT of loot. 

Meanwhile though.....where are the new bands? Are there ANY contemporary bands that have even a shot at garnering 10% of the success Guns n' Roses has had? That's what has me worried. This music needs new blood before it all becomes nostalgia. Hopefully it's not too late. 

13 hours ago, wasted said:

Yes, Slash listened to his material, what I call call CD II. Axl also said he wanted to write like AFD again, not build walls of sound like CD/UYI he sings on. 

There might be new recording of all this stuff which will make it new. 

So CD II meets AFD II played by the new line up. 

See, Axl letting him hear stuff is a big thing to me. I just don't see him blasting it for everyone, especially someone like Slash. So I take that as a good sign. 

Everyone has their own idea of heaven. It is Guns N' Roses so we can for sure expect a mixture of styles. 

It needs to be a big release. A double album. Trump is president, art is back and it's time to take chances. They can cash in on the nostalgia by creating a UYI thematic album and hype. Old 96 material reworked, cd2 leftovers, The seeker, let Slash record the atlas shrugged solo from a piano in the studio. Let tommy guest vocal on going down like their version of have a cigar. Electronica one track, world on fire next. Even let DJ have a blast. We already have samplings of this style album in UYI 2 so it's nothing new. Just the reworkings of mad scientists. We got everything here folks, come one come all. 

Call it Guns N' Roses: Frankenstein 

Release it in 2020.

16 hours ago, wasted said:

If you split it into writers

AFD/Lies type stuff - something Izzy wrote that Slash works up, old AFD demo. New material from Slash that captures that style, WOF was close. 

UYI - Slash and Duff music from 96 that is pretty close to UYI stuff. 

CD - Axl/Dizzy/Finck/Tobias material from CD era, maybe Fortus has a song. 

4 songs from each zone and it's 12 track self titled album. 

What the hell are you talking about? :smiley-confused2:

Axl said he'd like to write songs that start with vocals and melodies.  I think it was China Exchange?  Part of me is wondering if the tracks Axl showed Slash and Duff are CD II stuff stripped down to just vocals.  I know that is unlikely.  Thats what makes me think its possible. 

16 hours ago, J Dog said:

See, Axl letting him hear stuff is a big thing to me. I just don't see him blasting it for everyone, especially someone like Slash. So I take that as a good sign. 

It's good for sure. 

Member when Axl busted into that club in NYC and was playing 2 cds with 10 tracks on each...someone with a significantly lower post count than me probably heard The General. There's no justice for the working man these days. 

But 20 songs, two versions of Better, 19 songs. Minus 14 for CD, minus OMG and Silkworms. Potentially someone unwittingly heard 3 unreleased CD II songs. 

• Like 1