Was reading a different GNR forum [thoughts]

BlondeIllusion

It's funny that these people call themselves fans and then bitch/debate about Axl's hair and make fun of his appearance. They were semi-old threads but I was down a wormhole today and reading them.. I'm only a fan, nobody's here to protect Axl, we're all fans -- but it's like.. really, you call yourself a fan and bitch about his appearance and shit? (And I imagine some of you have done it here too, but the posts I saw felt cruel.) Stop listening to the music, then. I don't know what else to say, I was just kind of disgusted and offended even though I don't know Axl at all and I'd probably never get to know him. I just have some feelings on the matter.

I know I'm a hypocrite, but I do have a question: What do you think of Axl's appearance and hair?

I think he looks great for his age, and I think he delivers live from what I've seen in Youtube clips. Sorry if I'm clogging the forum.

• Like 2

He looks absolutely fine. He'd probably look a little better if he grew his hair out a little longer, and stopped wearing that flannel tied around his waist, but that's about it.

He's fucking 55 years old, do people really expect him to look like he did 30 years ago still? Half the people bitching about him will probably wish they would look half as good as he does at this age.

To be honest, it makes no sense to me why some of the people on these forums are on these forums, since all they seem to do is bitch, moan, and cry in every single post. Why waste your fucking time?

• Like 3

Absolutely love the cool vintage tees he wears, the Amiri jeans and I love the flannel around his waist! Classic Axl look! I wish that he would ditch the boots and go back to black sneakers tho. Also I wish that he would wear the bandana and backwards cap combo more than one song. My girl gets so twisted up when I constantly show her pics of King Axl and how bad ass he looks!

He could do better if he really wanted to. His stage presence would be better, in that he would be able to move more freely (this, being able to twirl the mic around, and do his snake thing more effortlessly).

I've noticed that when people of any age are in good shape, everything looks better on them: their hair almost always suits their face better than it did than if they were heavier, clothes obviously look better on them.

Would I prefer to see him in better shape? Yeah sure, Slash too. Does it bother me? No.

Flea, Anthony Kiedes, Kirk Hammet, and Duff are all around the same age as Axl, so there's that.

Edited by Mendez

To me he has and always will be hot as hell.... and I am about the same age he is, and way too old and wise to be a love struck fangirl...but there is just something about him that is just irresistible to me.  Plus I have this thing for blondes and redheads and tattoos and rockers...:axl92:

Edited by BlueJean Baby
added
  • Like 3

To me it seems like Axls body is objectified in a way that our culture (at least western) usually reserves for women.  Im sure there are other famous males who are too, but its kinda rare I think?  I guess i mean his clothes and everything, not just body.  Im not really hoping to make any grand statements on the objectification of the body or its gendered norms.  And if I were it would be difficult as Axl doesn't seem to me to be opposed to objectifying women.  And again, whatever, not looking to settle gender and objectification issues on a fandom forum.  Not what I come here for personally.

And if people talk about finding him sexy, thats great!  Thats how we humans are!  Im speaking about the assumed right some have to discuss and make demands of his body and appearance. 

I think its noteworthy because its just one more way that Axl is put under pressure.  He seems to always be in a position to be judged heavily and scrutinized more then his famous male peers.  Maybe Im wrong?  Just seems that way to me. 

And its complicated because sometimes the conversation on Axls appearance has to do with his weight or fitness. Complicated because weight can effect ones singing voice, in some cases.  I saw Axls GNR twice in Toronto 2010.  Incredible shows, amazing vocals especially night one IIRC.  Then I saw him in Hamilton 2011 and it was plenty of mickey.  And I have to say, he was looking a bit heavier, including on his throat.  So, his voice and the cause of its condition should be open for discussion, but it opens the door to put undo pressure on someone that we are fans of.  Someone who carries enough on his shoulders. 

And I just wanna say that I am not writing this in response to anything said above.  Just my general opinion over time.

buttless chaps, bike shorts/boots/socks/umpire thingy/boa/kinky mother goose style hat, shirt permanently tied around waste, hat or hat confiscated by Ms Young, have at it Axl!  You are the greatest frontman of all time!!

Im wearing a short-sleved plaid button up shirt, jeans and slippers.  I cant sing and I've never been a celebrated visionary.  So you're welcome, world, for my commentary on fashion and singing:)

Edited by soon
clarity
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, soon said:

To me it seems like Axls body is objectified in a way that our culture (at least western) usually reserves for women.  Im sure there are other famous males who are too, but its kinda rare I think?  I guess i mean his clothes and everything, not just body.  Im not really hoping to make any grand statements on the objectification of the body or its gendered norms.  And if I were it would be difficult as Axl doesn't seem to me to be opposed to objectifying women.  And again, whatever, not looking to settle gender and objectification issues on a fandom forum.  Not what I come here for personally.

And if people talk about finding him sexy, thats great!  Thats how we humans are!  Im speaking about the assumed right some have to discuss and make demands of his body and appearance. 

I think its noteworthy because its just one more way that Axl is put under pressure.  He seems to always be in a position to be judged heavily and scrutinized more then his famous male peers.  Maybe Im wrong?  Just seems that way to me. 

And its complicated because sometimes the conversation on Axls appearance has to do with his weight or fitness. Complicated because weight can effect ones singing voice, in some cases.  I saw Axls GNR twice in Toronto 2010.  Incredible shows, amazing vocals especially night one IIRC.  Then I saw him in Hamilton 2011 and it was plenty of mickey.  And I have to say, he was looking a bit heavier, including on his throat.  So, his voice and the cause of its condition should be open for discussion, but it opens the door to put undo pressure on someone that we are fans of.  Someone who carries enough on his shoulders. 

And I just wanna say that I am not writing this in response to anything said above.  Other then in response to OP opening discussion.   Just my general opinion over time.

buttless chaps, bike shorts/boots/socks/umpire thingy/boa/kinky mother goose style hat, shirt permanently tied around waste, hat or hat confiscated by Ms Young, have at it Axl!  You are the greatest frontman of all time!!

Im wearing a short-sleved plaid button up shirt, jeans and slippers.  I cant sing and I've never been a celebrated visionary.  So you're welcome for my commentary on fashion and singing:)

I agree. Don't mean to scrutinize him like others seem to do, just looking for input. It's particularly the memes that people posted that like, bugged me? Which is probably lame, but I just wonder, like, what does Axl think of himself? As long as he's happy and healthy, really, that's what matters.

4 minutes ago, blonde_illusion said:

I agree. Don't mean to scrutinize him like others seem to do, just looking for input. It's particularly the memes that people posted that like, bugged me? Which is probably lame, but I just wonder, like, what does Axl think of himself? As long as he's happy and healthy, really, that's what matters.

Sorry for coming off as if i thought you were scrutinizing him in a negative way.  I can see how I might've come across that way.  I was hoping to agree with your concern and add my thoughts.  I think we have a similar outlook on it being kinda toxic in some cases.

Edited by soon
spelling

54 minutes ago, blonde_illusion said:

I know I'm a hypocrite, but I do have a question: What do you think of Axl's appearance and hair?

He's fat and orange with skinny legs. I'd say he's not that fat but he's dragging around a huge gut. Not sure if Slash's gut is bigger though.

worst thread ever anyway.

1 hour ago, blonde_illusion said:

It's funny that these people call themselves fans and then bitch/debate about Axl's hair and make fun of his appearance.  you call yourself a fan and bitch about his appearance and shit?  Stop listening to the music, then.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Elvis Presley is defined by being fat with a cape. That's what people think of first. People are still listening to his songs. Same with Meat Loaf, everyone knows he was the fattest guy in town.

39 minutes ago, soon said:

Sorry for coming off as if i thought you were scrutinizing him in a negative way.  I can see how I might've come across that way.  I was hoping to agree with your concern and add my thoughts.  I think we have a similar outlook on it being kinda toxic in some cases.

No, no, not at all! I didn't intend to, I'm just not.. very articulate sometimes, even though I want to be. You know, I totally agree with you and technically I meant the memes and stuff people were posting/ripping on him for. I totally get that bodyshaming is a big thing in today's society. I definitely think we have the same outlook.

22 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Elvis Presley is defined by being fat with a cape. That's what people think of first. People are still listening to his songs. Same with Meat Loaf, everyone knows he was the fattest guy in town.

Thaaaaaat's true.

3 hours ago, MattleyCrue said:

Absolutely love the cool vintage tees he wears, the Amiri jeans and I love the flannel around his waist! Classic Axl look! I wish that he would ditch the boots and go back to black sneakers tho. Also I wish that he would wear the bandana and backwards cap combo more than one song. My girl gets so twisted up when I constantly show her pics of King Axl and how bad ass he looks!

Agree! I SO love the backwards cap/bandana look. :drool:

11 hours ago, MattleyCrue said:

I love the boots, they bring back some of the 80s glamour :)

Axl today may not be as hot as in the 90s but there's always that something that still makes him attractive so I guess that's why I still have hots on him.

Sorta creepy for me since he's as old as my dad ._. but whatevs, at least I don't wish to bang 55 yr old Axl in my mind :P 

On 2/19/2017 at 3:16 PM, AlexC said:

What a ridiculous thread.

Yeah maybe, but I just don't get why on another forum they claim to be fans but they rip him to pieces all the fucking time? Like, fuck off then, if you're just going to bitch about someone's appearance and make memes and shit. It's pathetic. I get that it happens anywhere on the internet, but it grinds my gears a little. Well, a lot, considering I posted. I just don't get it.

6 minutes ago, blonde_illusion said:

Yeah maybe, but I just don't get why on another forum they claim to be fans but they rip him to pieces all the fucking time? Like, fuck off then, if you're just going to bitch about someone's appearance and make memes and shit. It's pathetic. I get that it happens anywhere on the internet, but it grinds my gears a little. Well, a lot, considering I posted. I just don't get it.

They are fans. They're just not happy and very frustrated with how things have turned out and how they're going now. In some ways, I think Axl's more important to them than to...um...us. At least I still enjoy him, so it makes sense to be here and follow him. If I didn't, I'd never read this forum again (or at least not the GNR section), just listen  to the old records and ignore everything that's going on now. But even if they hate everything he's done in the past year or even in the past 25 years, they still follow him around and care enough to be on a GNR forum.

So either he's still really important to them, or they just enjoy each other's company a lot :P

Don't get worked up over it. Just be glad you're still enjoying it, and not spending your time on someone or something that's a huge disappointment to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lio said:

They are fans. They're just not happy and very frustrated with how things have turned out and how they're going now. In some ways, I think Axl's more important to them than to...um...us. At least I still enjoy him, so it makes sense to be here and follow him. If I didn't, I'd never read this forum again (or at least not the GNR section), just listen  to the old records and ignore everything that's going on now. But even if they hate everything he's done in the past year or even in the past 25 years, they still follow him around and care enough to be on a GNR forum.

So either he's still really important to them, or they just enjoy each other's company a lot :P

Don't get worked up over it. Just be glad you're still enjoying it, and not spending your time on someone or something that's a huge disappointment to you.

Good way to look at it. I've often given up on the things I don't enjoy. Unless they enjoy wasting their time... it's like a schaudenfreud kind of thing... if I'm using that term right. This was probably a stupid post to make and I shouldn't have gone, SO WHAT DO *WE* THINK OF AXL'S APPEARANCE? Like, of all things, his appearance? Well, I do dye my hair blonde, so it must be affecting my thoughts too, haha. I just, you know.. what's the point sort of thing, right?

I'd take it that they like each other's company, because, misery loves company.

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

I'm a straight guy and I think he was a good looking dude back in the day. Now, he looks pretty good sometimes, pretty bad sometimes but I don't really care.

P.S. Other forums @blonde_illusion ? Traitor! *hisses at you* :lol:

Hey, I was just browsing, I didn't join those miserable misers! I'm miserable enough on my own. :P

Nice taste, though. I like a guy who can admit they're attracted to another guy. No shame. 

tumblr_o482lco4u81tn3skko4_r1_250.gif