Have you converted a non-fan to a big one?

Just wondering if anyone made someone a big fan of GN'R.

My gf was not a fan, only know SCoM, and heard PC(but wasnt even sure who sang it). Shes a big RHCP/Nirvana(lol)/MB20 fan.

Now, she knows and sings to songs like Bad Apples, Bad Obsession, One in a Million, My Michelle, Nightrain, etc, and was even bummed when I told her the concert we will go to will not have Locomotive. Of course, she dont know shit about ChiDem songs cuz I dont play it in my pickup.

• Like 2

A friend of mine loves the Use Your Illusion and Chinese Democracy albums. Espcially songs like Don't Cry, You Ain't The First, Bad Apples, Estranged, Chinese Democracy, Better and This I Love.

Edited by Sosso

I have a friend, we're both in our 30s... big fans of metal and punk, stuff like that. He never gave GnR much of a chance because he just wrote them off as another cheesy hair metal band. He has a huge nostalgic love for cassette tapes, and a few years ago i gifted him Appetite, Lies, both Illusions, and TSI on cassette... knowing he'd definitely listen to anything gifted to him on that format. Since then, he's come to regard Appetite as a masterpiece, and really loves TSI for the punk covers, and really has a thing for Duff... likes him the most.

• Like 1

I have converted lots of folks in my youth ( not that old now but, only 28..) I always ALWAYS play GN'R on full blast at my parties.. And/or have a GN'R concert on the tv in the background. And as the shots go down my belly i tend to talk alot about GN'R.. So i have converted people thru the years YES :headbang:  Been listening to this incredible and complicated band since i was 5. Never plan to stop either.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say I converted him, because someone who says Jungle is shit is not a GN'R fan :shrugs: But yeah, my brother has a thing for Coma and Estranged, especially Estranged, that he says that's a masterpiece and totally in the level of Bohemian Rhapsody or Stairway to Heaven. He says those two songs are the reason he can't dislike GN'R. But he's into Slint, Swans and stoner rock in general, so he does look to GN'R as 'a corporate machine of the system', his words not mine :cry: :P

I "converted" a cousin of mine when he was around 10 and also two schoolmates many years ago. There was another one who I got him into songs like November Rain or Don't Cry but rock songs were "noise" to him. Funny thing is a few years ago he sang in a rock band for about a year and they covered Used To Love Her, Don't Cry and Since I Don't Have You. I gotta say he's my best friend and I love him but his voice wasn't made for rock music, let alone GNR :lol:

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

never :( most people here don't even know who they are! my nephrologist knows, but as he proudly admits, he's a rock dude! plus he is a distant relative of Gilbey Clarks! :D

Out of curiosity, is this guy Gilbey Clarks a relative of Gilby Clarke? :P

45 minutes ago, maynard said:

I had some friends who liked GNR then we got together to watch Rock in Rio 4, in 2011. They are no longer fans of the band. But we have fun memories of that night, for sure.

That actually happened to me with Bridge School, no bullshit. I didn't have people over specically to watch it, but people were over playing cards and listening to music. When I realized JWIII was playing we brought it up on streaming. Jack kicked like 9 kinds of ass, so we were all in a great mood. I said "Shit! GN'R is on this too, let's leave it on!" What a poor, poor choice. I was incredibly embarrassed by the end of the first song and more than a few people who'd gone in with an open mind were never interested in GN'R again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That actually happened to me with Bridge School, no bullshit. I didn't have people over specically to watch it, but people were over playing cards and listening to music. When I realized JWIII was playing we brought it up on streaming. Jack kicked like 9 kinds of ass, so we were all in a great mood. I said "Shit! GN'R is on this too, let's leave it on!" What a poor, poor choice. I was incredibly embarrassed by the end of the first song and more than a few people who'd gone in with an open mind were never interested in GN'R again.

Ah yeah, the "YOU!.... ME!" night. Chat was exploding with laughter that night. Good times. :lol:

• Like 2

Well I tried with a few people, but it failed. 

One of my classmate, she knew GNR songs, but only a few like Sweet Child and PC, so I gave her a list of songs, even some CD songs and Slash's solo songs, but well I never heard from her again lol 

She was a casual fan cause she din't even know who Axl or Slash were

My family hates rock music and the only GNR song they know is NR thanks to the video, once Sweet Child came on radio and they changed the channel.....

I had another friend who was in to rock music, I gave her a list, she liked them, but never become a hardcore fan, she was really in to rock and metal, but god knows what happened to her that now she listens to electronic bullshit and idiotic pop songs, now she hates GNR......it is pretty wtf.......it really hurt me when she told me recently that GNR sucks.........

So well I failed. 

Back in the 90s I did. I also recently converted some hardcore AC/DC fans. They now listen to GnR too after I showed them some videos of Axl/DC.

My daughter become familiar with GnR mainly for CD. A lot of the younger crowd caught on to them then. She plays violin and guitar and really admires the GnR ballads like November Rain and Estranged but also appreciates most of their other work now too. She's always talking about what a musical genius he is and how his instrumental work is applauded so much among musicians etc.

I turned her on to some of the Appetite stuff but it was her teacher who takes credit for the Illusions stuff she likes.