AFD - No. 11 all time ?

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/02/16/100-best-selling-albums-all-time/

What are the best-selling albums of all time?  According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), Michael Jackson’s Thriller is back at number one with 33 million copies sold in the US alone.  Here’s the rest.

(Note: these are US-based numbers.  The RIAA counts an ‘album sale’ as either a direct album purchase, or the ‘album equivalent’ of 10 downloaded singles from the same album, or 1,500 streams from the same album.)

11. Guns N’ Roses, Appetite for Destruction
(18 million)

7 minutes ago, Rubicon said:

Nothing much left to say here. 

I mean: Michael Jackson? Okay.. granted. But Billy Joel and Shanaya Twaine? :rofl-lol:

Well - MJ - Thriller is always on top (US based or worldwide) - sometime 1st sometime 2nd - but always there...

Well - Billy Joel has 2 volumes - and I think that every vol is counted as one copy - that's why Metallica has double album now  but is shorter in lenght than Loaded :D

Also - Garth Brooks - double album

and about Shania Twain (?) wikipedia says:

Commercial performance[edit]

Twain topped her own record with the release of Come On Over, beating out her previous Diamond selling album The Woman in Me, as the best-selling country music album ever released. It was, in fact, the best-selling album ever released by a female artist in any genre. Debuting at No. 2 on the U.S. Billboard 200 with a moderate 172,000 copies (3,000 units behind Mase's Harlem World), the album showed its consistency when it moved another 170,000 copies in its second week (a 1.2% decrease) to stay at No. 2 again behind Barbra Streisand's Higher Ground. The RIAA certified Come on Over Gold, Platinum and 2× platinum on December 23, 1997. It sold more than 100,000 units in each of 62 weeks. During the Thanksgiving week of 1999, the Come On Over: International Version was released in conjunction to Shania's Thanksgiving CBS special, Come On Over that week earned the Billboard chart "Greatest Gainer" title, jumping 24-11 on the Billboard 200, a 246% increase in sales from a 57,000 the previous week to a 197,000 the week after. The album's best sales week was its 110th week, during which it sold 355,000 units to settle at number ten (Christmas 1999). The album stayed on the top 10 for 54 weeks, set a record for longest stay in the Top 20 of the Billboard 200 of 112 weeks, and in top 40 for 127 consecutive weeks. Come On Over topped the Billboard Country album chart for a record 50 weeks, finishing second to Garth Brooks' Sevens in 1998, finishing first in 1999, and third in 2000 behind Dixie Chicks' Fly and Faith Hill's Breathe. Despite its considerable sales, The album never reached the top of the Billboard 200.

Come On Over was the first album to reach both 14 million (in September 2001) and 15 million (in August 2004) in sales in the US since 1991, when Nielsen SoundScan started tracking music sales.[5] It ranks as the second best-selling album of the Nielsen SoundScan era in the US, with 15.6 million copies sold, behind its nearest rival, Metallica's 1991 self-titled album as of June 2015.[4] However, these figures do not include sales through such entities as BMG Music Club, where Come on Over has sold 1.99 million copies while Metallica has sold fewer than 298,000 copies.[6]

The album topped the charts for 11 weeks in the UK. The album is one of the highest-selling albums ever in Australia, reaching 15 times platinum and spending 19 weeks at No. 1 and 165 weeks in the top 100 (or more than 3 years). It is still the best-selling album of the 1990s in Australia.[7] The album sat at the top spot of the Canadian country albums chart for over 110 weeks (more than 2 years). Worldwide the album sold 3.4 million copies in 1997, 8.9 million in 1998 and over 15.2 million copies in 1999, standing strong in 2000 selling another 6.4 million copies worldwide. Over 40 million copies have been sold across the world.

who am I to disagree - I heard one song of her...

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

I thought AFD sold like 30+million copies in America? Axl said it was around number 4 lol

P.S. Garth Brooks and Shania Twain suck

There was no concrete sales until soundscan in 1991. Metallica's black album is supposed to be the number one selling album in the soundscan era so I wonder if these numbers are accurate. 

4 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

There was no concrete sales until soundscan in 1991. Metallica's black album is supposed to be the number one selling album in the soundscan era so I wonder if these numbers are accurate. 

yep - according this

http://www.metalinjection.net/its-just-business/record-sales/metallicas-black-album-now-pushing-over-5000-units-a-week

So basically, with the band owning their own masters and an album they wrote 25 years ago still selling like hot cakes, it's safe to say Jason Newsted never has to work again.

:D

4 hours ago, Rubicon said:

Nothing much left to say here. 

I mean: Michael Jackson? Okay.. granted. But Billy Joel and Shanaya Twaine? :rofl-lol:

I'd imagine that sort of thing to be a shoe-in, i mean by definition the biggest selling pop albums are going to be stuff that is sort of universal and soft and inoffensive.  

4 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

yep - according this

http://www.metalinjection.net/its-just-business/record-sales/metallicas-black-album-now-pushing-over-5000-units-a-week

So basically, with the band owning their own masters and an album they wrote 25 years ago still selling like hot cakes, it's safe to say Jason Newsted never has to work again.

:D

Good for the mighty Jason! :headbang:

By the way, isn't Shania Twain the one who did a horrible version of Sweet Child O' Mine? I mean, I don't care if you're Shania Twain or Axl Rose, Sweet Child doesn't work if Slash isn't there, period! :max:

• Like 1

On 21.2.2017 at 6:44 PM, estranged_85 said:

AFD have sold 18 million copies for like 15 years lol. Do they ever update the numbers or did everybody stop buying the album in the 90's?

Wasn't it in the early 90's like 17 million copie sales worldwide?

But yeah, last time I checked the numbers like 5 years ago they were still at 18 million. Considering the successful reunion you might think numbers would have grown.

• Like 1